“Trip that will NEVER be forgotten”
Review of Cozumel Charters

Cozumel Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Cozumel Charters is proud to be the #1 fishing charter in Cozumel and the Riviera Maya. We offer all-inclusive deep sea fishing, bottom fishing, and fly fishing trips in both Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, as well as private snorkeling trips to Cozumel's great coral reefs. We have a full range of boats ranging from economy budget trips to luxurious motor yachts to fit all budgets and group sizes. We welcome cruise passengers as well as hotel guests and local residents on all of our trips. Beer, snacks, lunch (on full day trips), cleaning and filleting, fishing license, all tackle and expert captain and crew are always included, free of charge. Let us show you the customer service that has made us famous during your vacation in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and myself have fish out the Puerto Adventouras port 7 times prior to this trip and have all but once caught some fish. One fish species always managed to somehow avoid our lures and that was the billfish that frequent this area in rather large numbers at certain times of the year. We always had fish come up to check our baits out but just couldn't close the deal. Not until this trip however!! We booked the Anna Mary III. Requested we start at 7 and everything was on time and smooth. Started fishing around 7:20 am and by 10 am had 2 BIG Mahi Mahi and my daughter finally broke the billfish curse with a beautiful sailfish in which was released after a couple of pics!! Then from 10 till 2pm we ha zero bites and was actually trolling our way back to the marina when all hell broke loose on the outside outrigger when a huge Blue Marlin hammered our bait and flew through the air with the bait in its mouth! Within seconds she had our reel almost stripped as I could see the spool. The Capt slammed the boat in reverse and we started getting line back.. I could go on and on about this but will say this fish tried every trick in the book to throw the hook but, after 2hrs and 15 mins we got this beautiful girl boat side and released her. We estimated her to be around 250 to 300lbs. All I can say luck was finally on our side and what a fun crew to fish with!!! The only negative is the equipment was a little worn both the reels and for sure the fighting belts but, it all worked out and and we ALL will forever have the memories of both these beautiful fish dancing out of the water!!!! Thanks guys!!!

2  Thank Kevin9815
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

WOW! We are well pleased you have found your trophy billfish!!! I am happy to hear it was one of our boats and crews that put you on so many great fish species, both for the sportsmanship and with the mahi-mahi, you got some excellent eating fish. All are first class sport fish. Congratulations to you all, but especially your daughter for that enormous Blue Marlin catch. Probably nothing I can say can add to your obvious delight. I only want to thank you for choosing Cozumel Charters as your provider; I have a feeling we'll be seeing you again. We sure hope so, amigo!

You have some real fish stories to tell all your friends.

I will end saying thank you from Cozumel Charters!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We paid over $1000 to charter a boat for 6-7 people. However when arrived we were given a boat that might have comfortably seated 3 fishers along with the captain and deck hand. Four of us were forced to sit on coolers for our 8 hours in 90 degree direct sunlight, since their was no shade for the four who had to sit on the coolers for 8 hours! When we first started trolling the deck hand put some Tuna on a line and within 20 minutes caught a nice size Amberjack. After that they only allowed us to use chum bait for the next 7 hours. We caught a trigger fish probably 4 hours in but the captain would not let us use more of the tuna bait despite that was what we caught a great fish on. And yes we saw their bait they had plenty of Tuna. Also the fishing lines we were using kept snapping when we finally would get a fish on because they were inadequate weight for what we were fishing for.
When I was talking to the deck hand we were talking about catching Red Snapper and how THEY would take it home. I gave him a surprised look then he went on to say we can work out a deal to share the Snapper. Now in all my fishing experiences we have always taken what we caught home if we wanted it; however these guys treated our catches as theirs. Which wasn't a problem since all we caught was a trigger and Amberjack.
Despite their inadequacies they were also extremely rude constantly yelling if some of the women made minor errors reeling in the fish. We are not professionals by any means so there was no reason to yell out to paying guest as they were reeling in their fish on too small of fishing lines. They would yell when the line snapped, well that's gonna happen when the fishing lines are too small!!! We have NEVER had any issues like this in all our fishing charter experiences!!!!!
This is not our first time fishing we have fished all over the Caribbeans and numerous times in Alaska. We have never had such a rude fishing crew. Not only did they shaft us on the boat, bait, fishing lines, and our fishing experiance they were incredibly unsocial and hateful. And no there was not a language barrier they spoke great English especially at the end demanding big tips!!! DO NOT USE COZUMEL CHARTERS!!!!!!!!!!! Save your money!

1  Thank DrKimboslice
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Hola Amigo! Wow, I am really shocked to read this experience. It sounds so 100% the opposite of any experience anyone has ever had on our trips, or any of our other reviews all these years that I simply can’t fathom it. We have not received these comments from any customer by direct correspondence and we are unable to match your profile or the events described to any of our customers or trips. I see you joined TripAdvisor just to post these comments, which would seem unusual to do without any correspondence with us at all. You've not even replied to our private messages asking for help identifying you; but maybe you are not a frequent visitor to this forum...there could be any number of reason; I give you the benefit doubt.

I would love to have the opportunity to discuss these events with you, but unfortunately I don’t have a clue who you are or what trip or boat you could be referring to, since $1000 with us nets you one heck of a boat – over 50 feet in length for up to 12 people. Our boats for 3 people run only about $300.00. I can only guess that maybe you have the company you booked with mixed up, if this is a real review at all. If it is a real review, then by all means please contact me directly at " jim@fishingcozumel.net " and let me know what name you booked under and if possible the name of the boat you were on so that we can look up your reservation and look into this further. Without this information or any contact from you, unfortunately there is nothing I can do with this because I can’t match it to any of our boats, crews, or customers.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Highly recommend this company! Easy to work with and very responsive to all my questions. The crew was very friendly and the service was over the top! Had 29 people and the boat for 4 hours! Everyone raved about the excursion and we can't wait to do again. A must do if you have a large group!

1  Thank Cathy J
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you, Cathy J for this awesome review of your VIP Yacht Experience with Cozumel Charters. Few things are more rewarding than to have a client who has taken a charter rave about the courteous, professional and helpful crew that took care of your large group aboard one of our yacht options.

I am very pleased that your whole group had such a wonderful time; and clearly worth the money. Luxury is something you should experience on your vacation and I am happy we were able to offer exactly what you were looking for.

We really appreciate your choosing Cozumel Charters for your service provider and that you will do so again plus a glowing recommendation for others to use our company; very flattering indeed. Thank You!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to fish today. It was slow in the first 3 hours but the crew was great. They kept changing the gears and they worked very hard to try to get a fish. Around 12:30pm( we left at 8:30am) we saw a fish chasing our bait. And we went back to try to hook him. And we did!! It was a sailfish. He is very cute!! Thank you for the crew members. What a great trip!

Derek& Peggy

July 5th, 2014

1  Thank peggystott1125
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

The best part of the review from my view is:
1. You caught fish because nobody gave up! and
2. You are gracious enough to compliment your crew for their tireless effort to put you on fish. That is the best I can hope for from any fishing crew.

Well, honestly those two are important matters, but the very best part is your comment "What a great trip!" I love it when we send home "happy fishermen" and you sound very much like we succeeded.

Thank you for this really great review.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife, 13 year old son and I sailed on the liberty of the seas departing on 3/29 (spring break). My son Alex and I have done some fresh water fishing so I thought it might be fun to take a stab at deep sea fishing. Remember, no experience at all with this. After quite a few emails back and forth to Jim we decided on a 6 hour charter on a full size boat. On Jim's recommendation we booked a half bottom fishing, half deep sea too keep things moving along for my son.

I booked to start at 9:00am, an hour after our ship docked but unbeknownst to me there was a time change back an hour so we arrived an hour early. Not a problem, our captain Edwin brought us on board. They were very easy to find and everyone at the port was willing to help. First mate Pepe (even though Edwin called him Jose) took us out across the channel. The boat looked a bit older and worn, but clean and comfortable. They dropped several lines in as soon as we left the port even though I thought we were supposed to do bottom fishing first. Hmmm, first red flag... Edwin and Pepe did not speak to us much, they mainly spoke to each other in Spanish. They stayed up top and mostly looked over the water. Okay, I knew they weren't going to entertain us like an excursion booked through the ship but we spent the first 2 hours going back and forth in silence, and nothing was biting. And it got very, very hot. The boat was stocked with beverages, thank goodness but the sun started to get the best of my son. He went down below and tried to rest but he was nauseous and hot and still not a bite. Edwin asked several times if Alex was ok. I said yes but my wife and I were in agreement that if things didn't get better we were going to ask them to bring us in early. At this point I was already writing my scathing tripadvisor review in my head. We didn't bring anything to eat but Edwin was nice enough to give us a bag of chips.

I noticed that Edwin had been communicating with other fishing boats as we passed them through hand signals. He changed his heading a bit just as my son started to come back to life. At about three hours into the trip we hooked a fish but it broke the line. Edwin perched himself high on the boat and scanned the water without a break except to check the lines, re-baiting the hooks a few times. Then we hooked one. A big sailfish. Edwin sat my son down in the fishing chair and patiently explained what to do. He helped him through 45 minutes of reeling and he and Pepe brought the sailfish into the boat for pictures then release.

About half an hour later we hooked a mahi mahi, I took this one and brought it in fighting the whole way. Then we hooked another mahi mahi at the same time! What a great experience with my son on one side of the boat and me on another both reeling in fish! An absolutely wonderful experience.

So what were my takeaways on this trip?

1. Don't get mad at the crew for things that are out of their control like weather, the fish and seasickness.

2. Trust your crew, they know what they are doing.

3. The crew is not there to entertain you.

4. Be friendly to them and they will be friendly to you.

5. They want to catch fish as much as you do.

I would recommend Cozumel Charters to anyone. It was worth every penny and my family will have memories that will last a lifetime.

4  Thank 398rays
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Happy Fishermen? I think so!

I gotta tell you, Ray that is one of the most insightful reviews I have ever read. Of course I like it just as you liked your charter - this is what we do. Responses like yours are our reward. Of course having a fishing charter business in the Caribbean is rewarding, but it is also challenging, more so than a run to the offshore rigs and fishing for Red Snapper in the Gulf of Mexico; this is almost a science, but fishing is never an "exact science". Who knows why the fish won't bite anything one day and the next day with the same boat, crew and technique we've landed as many as sixteen tuna and several Dorado (mahi-mahi) and other species? Mother Nature has her roll, luck it's own roll but local experience is indispensable for successful fishing trips in the Mexican Caribbean. Apparently so is sign language between passing captains. lol

We are very happy that you and your son take home lifetime memories. One day long from now, when you cannot any longer be together, I bet your boy remembers days just like the one you describe.

Thank you for choosing Cozumel Charters! Thank you for this glowing review! You folks please hurry back to our little paradise here in the Yucatan - we can serve you in more ports than any other charter operator, i.e. Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Puerto Aventuras, Cozumel Island and expanding into the Costa Maya region south toward the border with Belize, so we can help you just about anywhere in this part of the Caribbean.