“Mi casa es su casa!!”

and 1 more site!
Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This fantastic hostel felt like staying at a friends house rather than paid accommodation. Tina & Adolfo are brilliant hosts and go out of their way to chat and make you feel at home. They also provide great information on things to do on the island and places to visit after Cozumel. Chela and Buddha, the resident dogs, are an added bonus to make it feel more homely.
The house is spotless, rooms spacious & comfortable and has a great social area around the kitchen. They also have a pool which is great to cool off in and further has access to a beautiful private beach. Although this is a little further out it's easy to take a taxi or even better rent a scooter that will be delivered to the hostel. That way you can see the island and have access to the town and supermarket. However I much preferred the tranquility of the hostel than the touristy town centre.
Diving with Adolfo was great fun, small groups with an experienced guide makes for more enjoyable dives. After dives we would all go for lunch to a local cantina, which is a great personal touch.
Finally, this is a great social place, despite travelling alone I never once felt alone here. There was always someone to chat to and I came away having made some great friends.
Gracias por todo Tina y Adolfo

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed for three nights and I think my favourite thing about the hostel was that it felt just like being at home. Tina and Adolfo were welcoming, friendly and arranged some great diving for me. The hostel is not very close to town but after the hubbub of Playa I was ready for some relaxation, and it's no hassle to jump in a taxi. Because the place has so few rooms you can mingle with the other guests and everyone gets to know each other. I would absolutely stay there again. Adolfo went out of his way - even taking us to the supermarket and he dropped me off at the ferry port when I was moving on. Tina rang to arrange a food delivery when I arrived knackered on the first night. Great little place. PS Adolfo - I took your recommendation and went to Valladolid, and on to Chichen, thank you :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at the Beach house in August 2013. The best thing by far about this place is Adolfo's scuba experience. If you want to scuba/snorkel on the island definitely stay here! Adolfo was so friendly and we got to experience amazing scuba trips even though we were beginners because of his expertise. Can not praise it enough!

The accommodation is simple but nice. Tina runs the house.. if you want clean and friendly this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CWil0623
Beachouse H, Manager at Beachouse Dive Hostel Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear my friend, Thank you so much that you still remember us and the explanation about Adolfo our Scuba man. Thank you for stay with us. You are always welcome home here. Saludo Tina and Adolfo

Reviewed 28 April 2014

very clean rooms, everything in order. very Friendly sociable, openminded owners, memorable beach very very close, very high level of diving service. i confirm in full all reviews for a hotel. I really enjoyed the time in a wondefull family atmosphere. i loved the place. i loved the people

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed at the Beachouse for 4 nights the great service and good people made for a great trip. The place felt very much like being at home and all the other guest were quite friendly as well. a group of us would typically go out at night and enjoy the town. The price was great and I would recommend it to my friends

Camron

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CamronGates
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Quiet, clean and safe.
If you can get these three words to describe an accommodation in Cozumel, Mexico then you picked a good place to stay.
I traveled solo during my trip to Mexico and Belize. I stayed at this hostel from March 17th-20th.

My room was very big, especially for one person. I actually had two beds. It was a bit humid when the windows were shut after cleaning, but after opening them up, the rooms were nice to relax in. The bathroom was nice, but when others are taking a shower, you may not get hot water. I was fine with this because cold showers are refreshing.. and help you waste less water because you want to warm up right away! My bathroom was very clean too. I didn't like the towels supplied because they left little yellow fuzzies on my body (the towels were yellow). However, they were clean and nice to have around. I just used my towel for the majority of my visit (I have a microfiber-like towel I adore).

It is on private property so you will need a code from the owners to the gate that allows you into the private beach area. It's quite beautiful in this area and there aren't many people around. However, if you want more interaction with others, walk towards the all inclusive resorts (Tina can give you instructions) and you'll find lounge chairs everywhere.. that's where are the people are hanging out. It's a nice place to listen to music and get a tan as well. In addition, there's a hut where you can find information on snorkeling, fishing, and scuba diving too.

I enjoyed just bringing a beach towel out and sitting next to the hostel instead. It was more relaxing there.

If you don't pay for a taxi and don't catch a ride with someone, you may get a little bored of the hostel's location if you want to be entertained. Only a couple of restaurants are somewhat nearby but you may have to walk 10 minutes out to them - only to find them full.

A taxi will cost you around $7USD/90-100 pesos for one way into where all the life in Cozumel is / the ferry area. This is kind of a steep price if you only want to go out to eat so I'd recommend hitching a ride with someone or splitting the cost.

Adolfo is someone to really trust. He's a great person to go diving with and he can bring you to street vendors with amazing tortas. I wish I had one now! I paid $85 for a two tank dive and $15USD extra to rent equipment. I am not the most comfortable person with all that equipment on my body and I told Adolfo I was really nervous because I don't have much diving experience out in the ocean. He made sure to take care of me and on my second dive I actually gathered up the courage to let go of him and do my own thing... and I had a blast! I was super comfortable with him nearby and he actually snapped some pretty awesome photos of me. I am so thankful for his guidance and ability to make me feel safe when I couldn't speak words to him (because we were in the ocean!). It was a wonderful experience.

I'd recommend bringing food into the hostel because there's a kitchen (shared) that you can use and there's not many places close by to eat at (which I liked). I actually went to the store one day (walked) and bought some ramen noodles to eat because I missed the taste of them (I know, super unhealthy, blah blah blah, whatever). Tina and Adolfo use a gas stove so you need to turn on the gas and then strike a match to get it going. If you need help, just ask one of them or their cleaning lady to assist you. I'd also recommend writing your name on the food because you may get containers mixed up with someone else.

The dogs on the premises were little angels. They were incredibly sweet and didn't bark often. If they did, it was only once or twice.

I did not use the pool in the hostel because the ocean was nearby and it was a little too small for my liking.

There's a bookshelf with tons of information on activities you can do in the area and also in Playa del Carmen/Cancun. I told Tina I was going to Caye Caulker and she actually found information on a hostel that she recommended for there too.

I'd highly recommend staying here if you're okay with a little distance. Since it's right on the beach, I'd recommend having a little day bag with you at all times when you venture out. You should have the following:
1. Sandals
2. Towel
3. Bathing suit - just wear this the whole time with a cover up
4. Clips (for hanging up your laundry you do - if you have a line too then even better)
5. Sun glasses (it's bright and you'll need them, especially to take in the nice sun set - just don't look directly at the sun of course!)
6. Some food to prepare your own meals / snacks
7. Water bottle (the hostel supplies water so just fill up your water bottle to safe money)
8. Your own shampoo/conditioner

:) I hope you found this review helpful. Feel free to shoot me a message for a question.

Room Tip: Try to ask if the room has the private bathroom inside the room itself. Mine was outside and was kin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mzzazn
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This review is LONG over-due! I stayed with Tina, Adolfo, and Christopher in January, 2012 and had a truly fantastic time. The personal connection they were all willing to make as soon as I got there really made the whole experience special and the other guests there concurrently felt the same way, it was really a stand-out great time. I made friends with other guests from back in the US I have seen numerous times since and will certainly stay at the Beachouse next time I make it down there! My trip included diving with Adolfo (amazing), going out in the town with the whole gang (whom all the locals seem to know and love) and a lot of wandering around the island kitesurfing and exploring in a dune buggy I rented with some of the other guests I just met, what a blast!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo