“Great location, decent food”
Review of Mosaicoz

Mosaicoz
Ranked #273 of 389 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2014

we liked the atmosphere here - sitting on the sidewalk whilst the street entertainers passed by. We had some nachos which were a pretty good appetizer, and some chips and guacamole which was pretty bland. My wife and I split a pizza that had prosciutto with ricotta cheese - it was a pretty darn good tasting pizza.

The service was also just ok - usually it is more reliable but was not easy to get our waiter's attention - not terrible service, but food quality and service can both easily improve to make this a great restaurant. In my opinion, a better option than Casa Denis.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

During my last trip to Cozumel, I visited Mosaicoz several times. The service was excellent. Martin, our primary server was terrific. We never had to ask for another drink, he was always attentive, and asked us if we wanted another before our bottles were empty. Rosa also served us, and was so sweet and kind. We always got a hug when we left. They do work for tips, so be prepared for the usual flattery and flirting. It's part of doing business with tourists, and quite entertaining (at least to me). Remember, the local economy is based on tourism and tips.

I ate there several times, and the food ranged from good to excellent. Portions were large, so my traveling companion and I usually split a meal. We had the nachos, and the seafood fajitas, which did come with rice and tortillas. The fajitas were especially good. I also enjoyed the pizza, which is served only in the evening. It is made in a brick, wood-fired oven, and has a wonderful crispy crust, and smoky flavor. The toppings may differ from what you would find back home, but we tried three different kinds, and found all of them to be delicious. Save room for dessert. They serve a warm chocolate cake with several different chocolate flavors, with a small dish of ice cream. It is so rich and delicious that we also split it between the two of us.

Prices were quite reasonable for that area of Cozumel. It is just a few blocks from one of the cruise ship piers, and near the ferry pier. Generally the closer you are to the tourist area, the higher the prices, but we only paid 180 pesos for a beer (less than $2.00 US) which was much less than the other local restaurants. Overall we found it to be an inexpensive way to spend a rainy afternoon or evening.

Mosaicoz is located on the southwest corner of the town square. It is a marvelous place to people watch, particularly late on Sunday evenings, when the square is filled with locals, live entertainment, vendors, and street performers. Since we were there at Christmas, we watched Cozumelan children perform "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" in Spanish, dancers, drummers, acrobats and fire dancers, all from our seat under the canopy. Strolling musicians will stop to play for tips, but if you aren't interested, just say "No, gracias" and they will move on, as will any others trying to make a couple of dollars selling to the tourists.

We will be back at Mosaicoz the next time we are in Cozumel. I hope it is soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

It was raining cats and dogs, and Casa Denis only took cash so we came here instead. Got the 2x1 Mango margaritas, and 2 mixed fajitas. Came on a sizzling platter, however meat quality wasn't good. No rice. Chips and salsa were an extra $3. Mexican food tastes much better where I live. I don't know why everywhere in cozumel, they try to pinch every penny out of you, and are always wanting a tip for everything. Even when the service sucks.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I should clarify the mayo part before I answer my own question. The mayo used on this sandwich had so much thyme in it that thyme was the only taste in my mouth. I couldn't taste the meat. I couldn't taste the bread. I couldn't taste the dill pickle. Most importantly I couldn't taste the mustard. There was no mustard. I deconstructed the sandwich looking for the source of the thyme. I set the bread aside since it had soaked up most of the mayo. To be fair I asked to see the menu to make sure I didn't miss something. Cubano! The meats were a little different but I make one with bar-b-que pork. No crime in putting your own twist on a time honored recipe. The waiter encouraged me to complain to the owner who was inside. I spoke with him when I paid my bill. At first he didn't even know what a Cuban sandwich was and said he didn't have that on the menu. When I pointed it out to him, he said his wife was the chef and she likes it that way. I suggested perhaps using a different name for the sandwich was in order.

So what you get when you put thyme infused mayo on a Cuban sandwich is not worth eating. The did give me a 10% discount.

Donna was with me and had a salad. It was described by her in a single word. Bland.

Now for the worst part. We looked at reviews after we got our food. We would have still sit down based on the reviews written in this forum. We sat down for a little bite. That was all I got.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We used to look forward to eating here every time we visit, but we'll skip it next time. The past 3 times we have been there, I asked for the owner Bianca and was told the same exact story each time... "She's in Europe and will be back in two weeks". Ok, that's getting a little old now since we go there several different times during the year.

Someone else is now running the place as the conversion rate has now went down, service was spotty and they try and add additional charges that were not incurred. I doubt we will go back and we'll try some other place next time.