“Very relaxing! ”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a week at Presidente. We were upgraded to a premium room with a walk out patio to the beach and private outdoor shower. Service was great. Resort was quiet. Beach was amazing. Walked right out our door to snorkel and swim. Water was warm and super clear! Pool was heated and not crowded. Food is very good but expensive. We went into town 4 nights. Highly recommend Ile, Sorrisi and Guidos. The money bar is close by and a great stop for happy hour and nachos. We were told the snorkeling is great...but we ran out of time. Island is extremely safe. Only 90 pesos taxi ride to town. Highly recommend for a romantic quiet trip.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Kaye F
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you !

We certainly appreciate your comments about your recent stay in our resort, It was a pleasure to serve you and your family.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your room, the hotel beach and the friendliness of our staff.

We will waiting anxiously to your coming back very soon!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have just returned from a 4 day cruise (Dec. 5 - 9, 2013) which included a day in Cozumel. Having visited the island many times, my husband and I just wanted to chill and enjoy some luxury service for the day. The Presidente was my first choice of hotels based on TripAdvisor reviews and the amenities of the hotel, but there was no information about their Day Use program on the internet.

They did respond to my email inquiry. This is their response:
Regarding your question, our Resort has a "Day use" program for you to enjoy all the services and facilities available at the resort.
The service includes:
- One pool view Room from 9:00 to 17:00 hrs.
- Food and beverage credit for $45 USD per room
- Full access to our pools and beaches, the gymnasium and the tennis courts
The fee for this service is $140 USD plus 14% taxes for 2 adults and 2 child under 12, subject to change without notice. You can pay with your credit card, debit card or in Mexican pesos.

This is how the Presidente Day Use works…. You check in just like you are checking in for the week. After they enter your credit card, you get a room and full use of the hotel. Anything you eat, drink or purchase such as spa services goes on your bill (make sure you know your conversion rate because all the prices are presented in pesos). When you check out, they tally your bill and provide a $45 credit. Our total bill ended up around $205. We had 6 drinks (around $9 each) and lunch.

We started the day from the Puerta Maya Pier and took a taxi to the Presidente ($8 about 10 minutes from the pier). We did not have reservations. At the security gate, they presented the costs of Day Use, before we were allowed to enter the property. The lobby was a spacious open air structure. It only took a few minutes to check in (we arrived around 10 a.m.). They were very professional and courteous.

The property is manicured and very lovely! A gorgeous huge tiki restaurant (very elegant for a tiki) and lounge sits on the waterfront adjacent to one of their two pools and of course, the beach. They were still offering a breakfast buffet, but coming off a cruise ship, we decided to wait and have lunch on the beach. The little grille on the beach had an incredible view with tasteful furniture, comfortable seating, even tablecloths. The staff was very friendly and did a fantastic job. We ordered at the grille and had, shrimp quesadillas, grilled skirt steak sandwich with fries and jalapenos rellenos. It was very good and served elegantly, but you know, it's still bar/grille food. They had other restaurants on the property that appeared to be very high end and contemporary.

Their beach was fantastic! Raked, clean sand, incredibly comfortable beach furniture, lots of tikis for shade. The beach servers were very attentive without being pests. We watched a constant flow of boats dropping off and picking up scuba divers. There was a great swimming area free from rocks which we enjoyed for hours. There was also some choice snorkeling spots. There appeared to a full scuba shop on the pier.

Our room was beautiful and literally a couple of steps off the beach. The room had two double beds and marble floors and bathroom. It also had a nice patio under some gorgeous palms. The facility is a bit "older" but maintained well, very clean with contemporary island furnishings. After a few hours on the beach we relaxed by the pool. We walked around the well-groomed facility and checked out the second pool, spa and peaked in the restaurants. Everything was lovely! Before returning to the ship it was great to be able to shower and change in our room with all the hotel amenities big luxury towels, soaps, shampoos, creams, etc.

It was very quiet the day we visited. If you are looking for partyville, the Presidente is not for you. It's quiet, serene place to spend that day and enjoy luxury service. That's what we wanted on this trip and that's what the Presidente delivered.

For Cozumel (a remote island off of Mexico) I rate it a definite 5. If it were in Tampa it would be a definite 4. Although clean and well-maintained, it is close to needing some updates or they will begin to lose their ratings.

Room Tip: The rooms have
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for have been writing and have been sharing your comments. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team services and facilities. I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We've been staying at the Presidente since 1996. Only place we will stay. Service is amazing. We find the Pres to be perfect in all ways. Excellent service by enthusiastic employees. Love the outdoor shower. Food is fabulous. Grounds are in tip top shape.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boNthistle

Thank you !

We certainly appreciate your comments about your recent stay in our resort, It was a real pleasure served you.

Hopefully you we can see you once again in a near future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed there in Nov 27th with my family, we rented a room for a day since we were coming from a Cruuise.. Water leaks on the celing everywhere... Unfriendly and bad service during check in. Hotels needs alot of work.. I talked to the concier manager and he couldnt do anythign about it...

The only highlight was the decent food int he main resturant... A BIG NO THANKS to Presiente Inter Continetal... NOT worth the money. Better options in the island than this place.
Namdar

Room Tip: Stay AWAY, this hotel needs so much TLC. Needs major upgrade... They try to squyeez you for every...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank s-known

Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa!

We would like to thank you for taking your time and share your comments, believe me your feedback is really appreciated, we have taken notes of your pleasant recommendations.

We are really sorry for not meeting your expectations; although we never want to know that one of our guest does not has had good experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements.

We will be very please if you allow us to serve you once again in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I also stayed at this hotel for the Ironman 2013. I don't know what that other poster is talking about. I ate the buffet every single morning and I can assure you it was packed with more food choices than you could eat. They had two of chicken, pork, or beef daily. They had eggs every single day. They had French toast every day and bacon and sausage, cereals, many different breads and pastries, fruit, yogurt, cold cuts, three different fresh juices. The service was outstanding for breakfast lunch and dinner. The steak restaurant required a reservation. We were also turned away as was another couple we know without reservations. No biggie we ate at the other restaurant that had an amazing buffet every night that was delicious. Our room was cleaned daily and I mean clean! The floors were mopped and the sheets were changed every day. Our room was luxurious with beautifully laid stone floors and we had a big patio over looking the ocean on the first floor. We went scuba diving and I'm a beginner. My scuba instructor Michelle was beyond helpful and patient helping me feel comfortable. We absolutely loved her. Overall I can't say one bad thing about this hotel. We made a lot of friends, the service was outstanding, and we couldn't be happier with our experience. This was the nicest hotel on the island and while it was a little further from town it was way nicer than all the ones downtown and there were plenty of taxis. We rented a car for just $250 for the week so it didn't matter. Don't listen to the whiners on here. They wouldn't be happy anywhere. This is a great hotel and I've stayed at a lot of five star resorts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Delraybeach926
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, comments like yours let us know that we are doing a great job.

I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you and your friends.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have also never entered a review in TripAdvisor, but felt compelled to chime in after reading the previous review. I stayed with my family for 4 days at this hotel, along with two other families, a total of 12 people. We had a great experience, two of us did the Ironman race. Overall the hotel is greatly situated, the beach is beautiful, the pool nicely heated!, the rooms are great, and the food was excellent. The hotel itself seems a little dated on the outside, but the rooms have been updated and are really nice. Ours looked out on the beach.

Yes, they ran out of eggs at breakfast one day. I can't tell you how that was somehow the end of the world for some people, I suspect I heard the previous reviewer screaming non-stop at the staff for this unbelievable transgression. There was still a full breakfast buffet with, oh, a dozen other options. And yes I also heard people complaining about not being seated at a restaurant that appeared empty at 6pm, but the manager made it clear he was holding reservations and that they could come back after 7:30pm. The couple rudely stormed out. Hey, make reservations next time you go somewhere. We were 12 and had no issues.

The staff moved at Mexico pace, but overall they were very very friendly and always tried to be accommodating. I thought it was excellent customer service. We had a great time and I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Kind of get lost in the maze of corridors, but our room on the beach was superb.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank abenz2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your stay at the Resort. We always looking forward to have valuable guest like you and meet needs and expectations and your feedback help us very much on this matter, I am sharing your nice comments with all the staff. We hope you had a wonderful Ironman race.

We can wait to see you again at this “su casa” in Cozumel.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Let me preface this by saying I’m not the type of person who takes to the internet to complain frequently, but this is such an awful experience I want to spare anyone else the misery of staying at this place. We stayed at the hotel during the Cozumel Ironman 2013, and it was quite busy. Almost from the beginning, things were not up to expectations. Upon arrival, the internet did not work, and we called the front desk who assured us they’d send IT to assist (we’re still waiting for that assistance---they never came). No problem, we were at the hotel to relax anyway. That night, we were awoken by a persistent dripping noise, which my husband kept getting up to check on, thinking the shower was leaking. Despite multiple attempts, he couldn’t locate the source of the noise and simply closed the bathroom door. The next morning, we were awoken by the sounds of lawn mowing, which began before 9am, and we discovered that the dripping noise was coming from the TOILET in the room above us (ew!).

We headed off to inform the front desk that our room was flooded with toilet water from the room above us, and went to breakfast. At breakfast, ~9:30 am, they informed us that they had no eggs in the entire hotel, and as such the breakfast menu was mostly unavailable and the buffet consisted of fruit and bread, with some quesadillas. That’s it. I’m not kidding.

We returned from breakfast to find that our bathroom was still flooded, and no one at the front desk knew anything except that maintenance had been called, but no one knew when maintenance would arrive or how the problem would be fixed. After my husband became upset, they agreed to move us to another room, only 4 doors away. When the bellman showed up to move us, he told us we were going to a room on the other side of the hotel, and we were puzzled. It turned out, the room we were originally going to be moved to had a “maintenance issue” as well!

There were numerous other issues, including awful service at breakfast, hotel restaurants that were unaccommodating to the extreme (refused to seat us in an empty restaurant even though we were guests of the hotel because we didn’t have a reservation), and a hotel location that’s extremely far from town and anything you’ll conceivably want to do off the resort.

I’m telling you this story because I want to spare you the agony of staying in a dated hotel with the worst service I’ve ever experienced. Is it likely that your room will leak toilet water? Probably not. However, will you be inconvenienced by this absolutely abysmal customer service? Almost certainly. This is the worst service I’ve ever experienced at a hotel, regardless of how many stars it purports to have. On an island with such awesome weather and so much to do, you’re much better off spending your time and money elsewhere.

Claire

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Cct1234
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa!

We will be very please if you allow us to serve you once again in the future.