Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$66
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mexicana Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$100
Hotel B Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$114
US$172
US$168
US$168
  • Breakfast included
Blue Angel Resort(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$155
US$138
  • Pool
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$93
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
US$504
US$62
US$55
1,896 results
All reviewsscuba duoutdoor showerreef roomalfredo di romael caribenole capnapa grillocean suitefishbest hotel on the islandmain restaurantdive shopbreakfast buffetadult pooltennis courtsoutdoor restaurantocean front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2009

First I have to say that I have always loved this hotel. Unfortunately it seems that it has gone downhill since my last visit.

We arrived from the airport at 12:30. Previously, we had confirmed via Intercontinental reservations that we could get early checkin in our "Reef Suit." (The rooms here really are great, and ours was right on the beach--700sq feet for $505.00 per night). We have stayed here several times before and Always have had a great experience with wonderful service...except this time.

Upon check-in we were informed that the room was not ready and that early check in meant that we could check in but not have the room. We had been up since 5:00am with our two small kids and were really looking forward to getting to the room and freshening up. I did not relish waiting around the hotel lobby for a couple of hours but it did not seem too bad. Little did I know that they had plans on how we could spend some of our time. We were greeted by the "Welcomer" and she proceeded to tell us about the features of the hotel. We explained that we had stayed here before, but she went on in broken english with her Pitch. She explained that she could give us a free jeep for a day if we would sit through her 60 minute Infomericial--the timeshare/vacation club that the El Presedente is offering (this is a very common thing in Cozumel. You can't walk out of the airport without having 20 people hawk a free jeep for an hour of your time.) I was just surprised and disappointed to get the pitch at this hotel.

After a little discussion (AKA Complaining) they offered us a hospitality room until ours was ready. Unfortunately our luggage was not included in this room. So we headed to the beach and waited until 3:00pm. At 3 we go back and they inform us that it will be 5pm before our room is ready. Had we known we were going to spend 4 and 1/2 hours waiting for the room we would have made other arrangements.

Half of the hotel is under construction and the restaurants are only open during limited times. The staff has said I am sorry a lot more than I have ever heard at this hotel.
Today, house-cleaning failed to clean our room (we were out of the room all day). We were informed that we had a butler with our suite, and he did call once during our stay but we have not seen hide nor hare of him since.

The problems with the hotel have not gotten in the way of a good time. Having the condo pitch really put us off. However at a First Class hotel you expect well... First Class, not an infomercial . This used to be a great hotel. Clearly something has changed.

Thanks
E.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Eric_at_Mudbayou
flyingking, Resident Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2009

Dear Sir,

On behalf of the management and staff of The Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa, I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. Your comments and patronage are important to us; you are a valued customer and it is our goal to not just meet, but also exceed our guests’ expectations.

The experience you describe is certainly not typical of the level of quality we deliver to our guests. We truly regret that we failed your expectations. By copy of this letter to our department heads we are requesting all issues be reviewed; however, explanations after the facts are unacceptable and our main concern at this point is that you did not receive the service you deserve and have every right to expect from our company.

In regards to the construction, I´m pleased to inform you that we are concluding a mayor renovation project we are presently upgrading our guest room facilities to enable us to provide you with an even more superior product during your next visit.

Mr. Eric, I hope you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Should your travel plans bring you back to our sunny Resort, please do not hesitate to contact me at Ricardo_suarez@interconti.com directly as it will be a pleasure to personally take care of your hotel arrangements.

With warm regards,

Ricardo Suarez
Resident Manager
Ricardo_suarez@interconti.com

Reviewed 24 July 2009

This resort is absolutely wonderful. We just returned from a 5 night stay and I have nothing but wonderful comments about this resort. We upgraded to an Ocean View room and I have no regrets in doing so. The view was spectacular from the main room and also the wonderful huge bathroom. Loved the bathroom! Huge tiled shower, garden tub with a glass wall where you can enjoy the view constantly. A nice bamboo type shade is also provided for privacy if you feel the need, The room photos on line do not do the room justice. Also this room was completely clean and fresh, no lingering musty smell as some island hotels have.

The staff graciously handled every request we had, food and service was great, no complaints there. Complementary coffee can be requested in the mornings brought to your room. We were able to request a roll away and it was actually a real mattress and comfortable. Oh, let me mention, the beds were great!

Taxi fare about 90 pesos to town ($7.00 based on 13x1 exchange). Dollar/Thrifty is on site which is a plus. We reserved online before we arrived and was able to pick up the car at the resort as we wanted to wait a couple of days before having a car.

My daughter took a mini resort SCUBA course while there and SCUBA Do did a great job with that. We're both divers and this was a good intro for daughter. Her Dad dived along with them and had nothing but good reports on the dive shop.

No problem with H!N! (swine flu). The resort nor the island seemed a crowed as usually, and I suppose the fear of the flu could be responsible for that.

We were approached about club (timeshare) membership, but it was in a very gracious manner and not a problem. A nice "No Th anks" and we were left to our vacation.
This will be my resort of choice for my future returns, I can't imagine staying anywhere else now.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank salsagal
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We spent six nights at the Presidente InterContinental Resort and Spa from July 5-July 11 and the resort and service are simply outstanding! We were greeted at the airport by Leonardo who was so courteous and knowledgeable about the island and were provided cool towels and bottled water. The airport is a little intimidating with all of the people selling timeshares or offering taxi rides, but I felt at ease knowing we had arranged transportation from the airport. You enter the resort through a tree-lined drive that is so beautiful. It looks so pretty lit up at night too. Check in was really quick and simple and we quickly went to our room. We stayed in 1514 a Beachfront Superior room with the outdoor shower. I was very happy with the location of our room and the proximity to the beach. The room was gorgeous as was the view from our wall of windows that looked out onto the beach. The outdoor shower is amazing! I really enjoyed the large bottle of water in our room daily. I would have preferred toiletries that smelled more tropical (coconut, mango, etc), but they were nice nonetheless. I have a small obsession with hotel toiletries… ;-) The boxed kit with a sewing kit, toothbrush, toothpaste, Q tips, shave cream and razor was a nice touch! In addition to the outdoor shower area, there is an indoor shower and garden tub, as well as double sinks. Loved the large make up mirror too! We each had a pair of slippers and robe. The air-conditioning in our hotel room worked great. The wireless Internet is a plus, although we didn’t use it much. We loved the full size hammock on our porch too.

Food at the restaurants was good. The service was a little slow, which took some getting used too when you are used to fast food. But, it gave us extra time to talk with friends while we waited and curbed my appetite so I didn’t overeat. The stuffed shrimp avocado at Caribeño is fabulous! I had the Caribeño pancakes three times and they are just heavenly!! I also had the Mandara Spa breakfast and that was really tasty. The Angus steak fajitas and chicken fajitas and burgers were also great. I didn’t care for the pizza…the crust didn’t taste homemade. We dined at Alredo one evening and I enjoyed it…a very nice atmosphere.

The hotel staff and service were extraordinary and so hospitable. Everyone was so polite and helpful. This is what really separates the Presidente from other resorts. The management is top notch. I communicated with the executive assistant manager about 3 months before our stay and he always took the time to answer my questions via e-mail and provide the information I needed. He made my husband and I feel like valued customers!

The beach is nice as well. The snorkeling right off of the resort is amazing. We saw more fish there than on our snorkeling trip. There are an ample number of palapas and beach chairs on the beach, as well as a few hammocks. Most times, there weren’t but 10 other people on the beach with us. I saw two beaches, but apparently there are three! The beach outside our room was so nice, we hardly explored the rest of the property. Sunsets are amazing! I did have a problem with the sand fleas on the beach and mosquitoes, but that’s to be expected on a tropical island. Bug spray seemed to keep them away fine.

We can't wait to go back. It is a great value considering it is one of the Leading Hotels of the World.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lissa21
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Stayed for 3 nights in July 2009, my husband and I had a great time. We had an ocean view room, very clean and spacious. The hotel location is secluded and the private beaches provide very good snorkeling.

The one thing to watch out for is the hotel 'club' desk will want to sell you this $30k club membership. I guess that could be OK for some but we got a free breakfast and a US$60 voucher for listening to 2 hours of sales pitch so that's OK.

The other thing to watch out for is the same 'club' desk will try to steer you to the 'Fury catamaran'. We signed up it but I didn't want to pay over the phone (I'd rather pay cash) so when we got to the main pier, they canceled our reservation! (Sold our spots to some other people) This turns out to be OK because there were lots of other snorkeling tours around, we went with a glass bottom boat to do some shallow snorkeling around the cruise terminal for 1/2 the price. Then we went with Scuba Du's snorkeling tour for the 'deep' reefs the next day.

If you like to spend maximum amount of time in the water snorkeling and don't really care much about beer, beach party, or being on a big boat, stay away from Fury. We watched them in the hotel, the boat is like 100 people and the line to get on and off the boat is long. You don't spend a lot of time snorkeling. We took Scuba Du's 4-5 hours (with lunch) for US$56 (cash), there were 7 of us, plus the guide (Sandra), photographer (Laura) and captain on a fast boat. We spent a ton of time in the water. And you don't have to take a taxi (US$16 r/t) to town to board the ship (as you have to with Fury).

For shallow water snorkeling, try to snorkel around the hotel beaches. They cordoned up two sections where no boat comes. We rented gear from Scuba Du (US$10 per day) and snorkeled around for hours, taking our time. And BTW, the safety jacket is $5 rental, I found out when we return the gear, renter's beware.

The Paradiso reef is not much better than the hotel beaches. Whatever you do, *DON't TOUCH THOSE LINES around the float*. We ended up with painful welts where we touched them, must be some micro-organisms secreting some poison.

As far as food is concerned, Alfredo is pretty good. We followed Fodor's advise and try Guido (so-so and overpriced) and Dennis Cafe (excellent). Dennis Cafe's conch meat dish is fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CassowaryFriend
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Beautiful resort and wonderful service. Do rent a jeep and explore the island. We went around to the other side of the island and had frozen margaritas and stretched out on hammocks on the beach and watched a wind surfer do flips that were amazing!

The rooms are just specatular and the staff was so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RebeccaS7
Henry W, Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your last stay at our Resort. We feel very pleased to know that you had a great experience.

I look forward to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,