Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
NY
“Spectacular”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Everything about this hotel is spectacular! The rooms are wonderful -- overlooking the ocean with fantastic views of sunrise and sunset. The housekeeping staff was amazing. The service throughout the hotel is top of the line. My husband and have stayed at the Fairmont, Ritz, Four Seasons and and St. Regis throughout the US and Mexico. THE SERVICE AT THE PRESIDENTE IS AS GOOD OR BETTER. Waiters that served us more than once remembered what we liked to drink. The hostess at Alfredo de Roma remembered our names when we went back several days later. Everyone at the hotel has a smile. They want to be helpful and to say "yes". If for some reason they can't get you what you want, they will offer suggestions to make sure that you are satisfied. They know the area and what there is to do. When we felt like going to the center for an authentic dinner, they made a great recommendation and we went back there twice. When we stayed closer to home and ate at the hotel, they made us whatever we wanted to eat (chicken enchiladas instead of veggie, fresh green salsa instead of red). Our stay was simply amazing. We can't wait to return. We met several people while we were staying here that never stay anywhere else and we have been converted. I have been to other hotels in the "low" season and been completely ignored. At the Presidente, I was completely pampered every step of the way. Just amazing.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank turtle811

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2009

The service at this hotel is top notch. We basically had the place to ourselves, and loved every minute of it. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. I get the impression the service would be the same even during high season. Well worth a little extra money.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank kib1
Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed at the Presidente for 6 nights at the begining of August. It was our third stay here in the past few years. My husband earns Priority Club points while working, so the hotel is almost free for us. Even though we are using points, we always receive great service. In my opinion, the rooms are not the pull to this hotel. They are basic and clean and spacious enough. The grounds are lovely and the views beautiful and peaceful.

There is always decent or good snorkeling off the beach, and there are three very good entry ladders for ease and safety. I love being able to snorkel every morning and afternoon and lounge on the beach in between. I also enjoy the adult pool set in the midst of the hotel grounds next to the marina.

The food is good. During this past trip we picked up baked goods in town for breakfast and then had lunch each day at the palapa restaurant. It closed at 5:00 PM. Hopefully, it will stay open later during high season. The prices are a bit steep, but we were able to share a dish and be satisfied. We didn't eat anything that we didn't care for.

Again, the service is very, very good. My husband actually left his wedding ring in the hotel room and didn't realize it until we were through security at the airport. I called the hotel and explained the situation. They found the ring and had the hotel butler deliver it to us at the airport as a courtesy. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe how fortunate we were and how honest and kind it was of all involved at the hotel. We will be returning for Thanksgiving, and as always, I am counting the days to a stay at a peaceful and beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaleha
houston
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Stayed from Aug 24 - 28, 2009.

Room in the two story wing on the bottom floor.

A lot of small things wrong, but a very pleasant stay. Major renovation at this time. Small things like the safe was not bolted to anything or that the in-room patio shower was hooked up backwards (cold was hot, hot was cold). Small things they will quickly iron out.

Similar to the previous reviewer, I found the timeshare pitch inappropriate and offensive. How can the hotel rationalize charging a couple $400/night for room and food, then hitting on you for a timeshare pitch as soon as you walk in the door? Extremely poor judgement. Stop it.

Staff was pleasant, honest and helpful as usual We've stayed at the hotel 6 times over the last 30 years and the service is one of the factors that continues to bring us back. I should qualify the term service though. Discreet service. Immediate service when I ask for it, never bothered until I ask for help.

Another factor is the peace and quiet. Go somewhere else if you want a loud drunken beach party. There was a very loud family that checked into the room next to us the last night. As soon as we politely requested a room change and explained the reason, the hotel staff said they understood, found a quiet room and moved our luggage to it.

The view is like nothing you will ever see.

Excellent food, strong drinks.

Odd the bartenders did not know how to make a Gimlet. Easily explained and flawlessly executed after instruction, but come on guys - this a fundemental important drink. Or at least I think so.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hassuna
los angeles
Reviewed 28 August 2009

This hotel provides everything we want for the great escape - snorkeling right off the beach, scuba services including boat and rentals located at the hotel, sandy beachfront, great gym, and the most attentive staff in the world. There's no more relaxing place to be.

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank struckdown
Seabrook
Reviewed 7 August 2009

First I have to say that I have always loved this hotel. Unfortunately it seems that it has gone downhill since my last visit.

We arrived from the airport at 12:30. Previously, we had confirmed via Intercontinental reservations that we could get early checkin in our "Reef Suit." (The rooms here really are great, and ours was right on the beach--700sq feet for $505.00 per night). We have stayed here several times before and Always have had a great experience with wonderful service...except this time.

Upon check-in we were informed that the room was not ready and that early check in meant that we could check in but not have the room. We had been up since 5:00am with our two small kids and were really looking forward to getting to the room and freshening up. I did not relish waiting around the hotel lobby for a couple of hours but it did not seem too bad. Little did I know that they had plans on how we could spend some of our time. We were greeted by the "Welcomer" and she proceeded to tell us about the features of the hotel. We explained that we had stayed here before, but she went on in broken english with her Pitch. She explained that she could give us a free jeep for a day if we would sit through her 60 minute Infomericial--the timeshare/vacation club that the El Presedente is offering (this is a very common thing in Cozumel. You can't walk out of the airport without having 20 people hawk a free jeep for an hour of your time.) I was just surprised and disappointed to get the pitch at this hotel.

After a little discussion (AKA Complaining) they offered us a hospitality room until ours was ready. Unfortunately our luggage was not included in this room. So we headed to the beach and waited until 3:00pm. At 3 we go back and they inform us that it will be 5pm before our room is ready. Had we known we were going to spend 4 and 1/2 hours waiting for the room we would have made other arrangements.

Half of the hotel is under construction and the restaurants are only open during limited times. The staff has said I am sorry a lot more than I have ever heard at this hotel.
Today, house-cleaning failed to clean our room (we were out of the room all day). We were informed that we had a butler with our suite, and he did call once during our stay but we have not seen hide nor hare of him since.

The problems with the hotel have not gotten in the way of a good time. Having the condo pitch really put us off. However at a First Class hotel you expect well... First Class, not an infomercial . This used to be a great hotel. Clearly something has changed.

Thanks
E.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank Eric_at_Mudbayou
flyingking, Resident Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2009
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the management and staff of The Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa, I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. Your comments and patronage are important to us; you are a valued customer and it is our goal to not just meet, but also exceed our guests’ expectations.

The experience you describe is certainly not typical of the level of quality we deliver to our guests. We truly regret that we failed your expectations. By copy of this letter to our department heads we are requesting all issues be reviewed; however, explanations after the facts are unacceptable and our main concern at this point is that you did not receive the service you deserve and have every right to expect from our company.

In regards to the construction, I´m pleased to inform you that we are concluding a mayor renovation project we are presently upgrading our guest room facilities to enable us to provide you with an even more superior product during your next visit.

Mr. Eric, I hope you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Should your travel plans bring you back to our sunny Resort, please do not hesitate to contact me at Ricardo_suarez@interconti.com directly as it will be a pleasure to personally take care of your hotel arrangements.

With warm regards,

Ricardo Suarez
Resident Manager
Ricardo_suarez@interconti.com
Tennessee
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This resort is absolutely wonderful. We just returned from a 5 night stay and I have nothing but wonderful comments about this resort. We upgraded to an Ocean View room and I have no regrets in doing so. The view was spectacular from the main room and also the wonderful huge bathroom. Loved the bathroom! Huge tiled shower, garden tub with a glass wall where you can enjoy the view constantly. A nice bamboo type shade is also provided for privacy if you feel the need, The room photos on line do not do the room justice. Also this room was completely clean and fresh, no lingering musty smell as some island hotels have.

The staff graciously handled every request we had, food and service was great, no complaints there. Complementary coffee can be requested in the mornings brought to your room. We were able to request a roll away and it was actually a real mattress and comfortable. Oh, let me mention, the beds were great!

Taxi fare about 90 pesos to town ($7.00 based on 13x1 exchange). Dollar/Thrifty is on site which is a plus. We reserved online before we arrived and was able to pick up the car at the resort as we wanted to wait a couple of days before having a car.

My daughter took a mini resort SCUBA course while there and SCUBA Do did a great job with that. We're both divers and this was a good intro for daughter. Her Dad dived along with them and had nothing but good reports on the dive shop.

No problem with H!N! (swine flu). The resort nor the island seemed a crowed as usually, and I suppose the fear of the flu could be responsible for that.

We were approached about club (timeshare) membership, but it was in a very gracious manner and not a problem. A nice "No Th anks" and we were left to our vacation.
This will be my resort of choice for my future returns, I can't imagine staying anywhere else now.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family