“my 5th visit since remodel Great for couples or families (not partying singles)”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
TEXAS
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I've been meaning to write a review of the El Presidente for a long time. Over the past 2 years I have visited the El pres 4 times. Twice with my wife once with one or more families.
The El Presidente is the most luxurious and expensive hotel in Cozumel...Always has been....... The El Pres is best for families or couples .......Its very romantic and if you don't visit during school holidays you won't see any kids. I've been staying at the El Pres for over 20 years and it never has been the best place for partying singles....Its just not the center of singles excitement .
As I said before the El Pres has always been the nicest hotel in Cozumel but after the hurricane several years back it was nearly wiped out. The good news is that they spent nearly 35 million on the remodel and it is now at its peak ! You'll find fine high thread count linens, nice soaps and towels,Large flat screen televisions, and generally nice sized rooms. wireless internet access is available throughout the hotel including the beach for those of you that like to saty plugged in. The room service is great and the service throughout the hotel is excellent. The spa is lame and overpriced so don't bother with it. The best rooms at the El Presidente are the Beach Front superior rooms(4100's). with the reef rooms coming in a close second. If you are fortunate enough to stay in one of these rooms your room is actually on the beach........ no walking through a large hotel lobby or taking an elevator open your door and your on it. Also these rooms are the most secluded for romantic getaways. They serve drinks and food at the beach and 2 swimming pools(all recently remodeled) You can have breakfast in your room or in the big Palapa out on the water where they serve a nice buffet everyday. I prefer the room service to the dinner and lunch menu in the restaraunt though the fajita nachos are perfectly decent. They have a high end italian restaurant (Alfredos I think) on the premises its pretty god but expensive and you can order off Alfredos menu for room service which is nice. In general their is plenty of good food in town and You'll eat breakfast at the hotel and head out for dinner unless your feeling lazy and want room service. The in house dive shop Scuba Du is just fine. They can accommodate just about anything you want. They certified my eleven year old. And if you dive with them they handle all your gear and clean it and take it to and from the boat etc and stor it until your next dive. It is possible to have other dive operators pick you up at the El Pres but the currents can be intense and they don't always want to. I sometimes dive with Anita Divers that docks at the marina next door. You can charter their huge, comfortable, but old boat for a fraction of what ScubaDu charges. I have been diving with them for more than twenty years. http://www.anitadiverscozumel.net/ ok back to the El Pres. The Reef outside the El Pres used to be a beautiful place to scuba dive and its still interesting at the little boat wreck there but the reef itself was trashed by several hurricanes. Their is usually a light current and you can dive in at one end of the hotel and have a nice drift snorkel down to the other end. I always feel secure at the El Presidente I have no problem letting my nine year old have the run of the place. The biggest trouble they will find are the giant iguanas that have the run of the place. I always call the hotel direct in Cozumel to make my reservation I have found this to be the best way to get things done. They have a car rental on site which generally strokes upper end tourists staying their but with a little persistence they give in or you can always call Freddy over at alamo and have him deliver you a car at a reasonable price. For families I cant stress the benefit of staying right on the beach when a trip back to the room isn't a 20 minute ordeal but 2minutes that any child can mange on their own. One more thing the hotel has a really nice simple elegant architecture about it.
with lots of plants...You'll love it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Niktebul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Hebrew first
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 8 October 2009

AMAZING STAY, and amazing service right to the tee. Loved every second of our stay. Would stay here again in a heart beat. Great diving trips. Staff and management are HIGHLY dedicated to their guests. I can attest to that.

Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LauraW4
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My best friend and I needed a getaway... El Presidente was so great that we didnt leave the hotel for 7 days. =)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 16 September 2009

As soon as we got to the hotel we had a warm welcome from all the departments. We were especially impressed with the girls from the club, they gave us cold drinks and towels, and they gave us some good recommendations for some places to eat.

We liked the hotel, the food, the service, and really liked the little animals they made from towels on our bed every day.

When we arrived to the airport we were bombarded from timeshare sales people, we recommend to avoid them, and go straight to the taxi counter to buy your ticket. We made the mistake of letting the guy we met at customs talk us into going to a presentation in playa del Carmen for a free car rental, and ending up wasting a full day of our vacation in a sales room with four different high pressure sales people.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zcrane297
NY
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Everything about this hotel is spectacular! The rooms are wonderful -- overlooking the ocean with fantastic views of sunrise and sunset. The housekeeping staff was amazing. The service throughout the hotel is top of the line. My husband and have stayed at the Fairmont, Ritz, Four Seasons and and St. Regis throughout the US and Mexico. THE SERVICE AT THE PRESIDENTE IS AS GOOD OR BETTER. Waiters that served us more than once remembered what we liked to drink. The hostess at Alfredo de Roma remembered our names when we went back several days later. Everyone at the hotel has a smile. They want to be helpful and to say "yes". If for some reason they can't get you what you want, they will offer suggestions to make sure that you are satisfied. They know the area and what there is to do. When we felt like going to the center for an authentic dinner, they made a great recommendation and we went back there twice. When we stayed closer to home and ate at the hotel, they made us whatever we wanted to eat (chicken enchiladas instead of veggie, fresh green salsa instead of red). Our stay was simply amazing. We can't wait to return. We met several people while we were staying here that never stay anywhere else and we have been converted. I have been to other hotels in the "low" season and been completely ignored. At the Presidente, I was completely pampered every step of the way. Just amazing.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank turtle811
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2009

The service at this hotel is top notch. We basically had the place to ourselves, and loved every minute of it. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. I get the impression the service would be the same even during high season. Well worth a little extra money.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank kib1
Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed at the Presidente for 6 nights at the begining of August. It was our third stay here in the past few years. My husband earns Priority Club points while working, so the hotel is almost free for us. Even though we are using points, we always receive great service. In my opinion, the rooms are not the pull to this hotel. They are basic and clean and spacious enough. The grounds are lovely and the views beautiful and peaceful.

There is always decent or good snorkeling off the beach, and there are three very good entry ladders for ease and safety. I love being able to snorkel every morning and afternoon and lounge on the beach in between. I also enjoy the adult pool set in the midst of the hotel grounds next to the marina.

The food is good. During this past trip we picked up baked goods in town for breakfast and then had lunch each day at the palapa restaurant. It closed at 5:00 PM. Hopefully, it will stay open later during high season. The prices are a bit steep, but we were able to share a dish and be satisfied. We didn't eat anything that we didn't care for.

Again, the service is very, very good. My husband actually left his wedding ring in the hotel room and didn't realize it until we were through security at the airport. I called the hotel and explained the situation. They found the ring and had the hotel butler deliver it to us at the airport as a courtesy. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe how fortunate we were and how honest and kind it was of all involved at the hotel. We will be returning for Thanksgiving, and as always, I am counting the days to a stay at a peaceful and beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple