“Great place to relax.”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Minneapolis
“Great place to relax.”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

This place is beautiful! Staff works hard to make you happy. We did not experience any of the negative situations that were described in previous reviews. My wife had a few mesquito bites, no big deal. There was a descrepincy in the room rate when we checked in but it was resolved quickly and politely. Room was clean and serviced twice daily in a timely mannor. We would stay here again. Great beach. Ocean front rooms are the way to go if you have kids plus they have a large outdoor shower that is so cool. Thanks to all who work here for a wonderful, relaxing stay!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank travel222
valenciaguillermo, General Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2010
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments which I am sharing with our staff.

I am glad we exceed your expectations since our goal is to make our guest´s stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Guillermo Valencia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Hebrew first
connecticut
Reviewed 12 February 2010

This was a letter I wrote to the establishment after my visit:

Hola Eugenio and Victorio, WE WILL BE COMING BACK VERY SOON May15th - 22nd!

We visited August 15- August 22 2009. This may seem a little late in coming, however, I wanted to thank you both and your entire team for the absolutely fantastic vacation we had at your establishment. The service was perfect by everyone. This turned out to be a very stressful vacation personally. As many of your staff may remember the very 1st day there my husband fractured his heel and was on crutches all week. My father in law also passed out downtown from the heat and stayed in the hotel for 2 days, also on my father in laws first day he stepped off the stone steps coming down from El Caribeno restaurant and cut his knee open pretty good (not the hotels fault he is elderly).

However, this is what made it all much, much better!

1) the lifeguard (not sure of his name) noticed my fathers knee when we were under the Palapa (it was still bleeding pretty badly) and without even our requesting him too, the lifeguard (wish I had gotten his name) anyway, he knelt down by my father in law with a medic bag, cleaned the cut, bandaged it very nicely and gave us another bandage for later. DEFINITLEY ABOVE AND BETYOND SERVICE!

2) when we came back to town and my husband was in sever pain and trying to limp, the employees jumped into high gear and immediately had a wheelchair for him. However, when we woke up the next day we realized we would need to get him crutches immediately. When I requested where in town we could get these, again your employees jumped into high gear and were able to locate him a pair of crutches on the premises which he used all week without cost.

3) We also had brought along our 11 year old son, and we were thrilled to be at a hotel with such a safe environment that we felt completely comfortable for him to walk to get ice, go to the gift shop, go in the pool/ocean by himself (he is an excellent swimmer). We knew he would be just fine around such upstanding trustworthy employees such as yours – you should be extremely proud of your hiring and retention process of these wonderful people.

4) We ate twice at the AlFredo Di Roma and the meal/service was really first class.

5) The buffet was just as wonderful at the El Caribeno.

6) The beds…and rooms…WOW! I wanted to take those mattresses home to our house (by the way what brand are they?)

7) We never had a problem communicating with the staff, they were very patient with us ALWAYS!

The moral of this story is that once we were back I felt that I had to do a lot of things by having to wait on my husband and my in-laws alone – (he was supposed to share duties ;) So I told him as wonderful as our trip was, once his foot heeled. I was coming back with just the 3 of us (including my son). Because I wanted to get the full effect of your wonderful hotel/service, without having to be concerned about others in our party ….including my husband So we will be back very soon. I cannot imagine how great the full effect will be, since all I can remember about your resort and personnel was so fantastic even in the wake of the mishaps we had personally.

MUCHO GRACIAS ..and until next time I will be staring at the picture of your resort on my desktop, and I cannot wait to drive down that tree covered driveway and climb those wonderful stone steps into PARADISE!

PLEASE, PLEASE share my heartfelt gratitiude with everyone and we will see you soon!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ConnecticutTina
valenciaguillermo, General Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2010
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to comment on your previous stay.

I am very glad to see that we exceed your expectations and I have shared your comments with our staff.

Our goal is to make customer's' stay memorable and welcome them back to our repeat guest family.

We look forward to welcoming you back in May.

Muchas gracias de nuevo....and best regards,

Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I travel extensively, 150+ nights on the road. I am a Intercontinental Hotel Group Platinum and Ambassador member. This was the poorest hotel experience and use of hotel points (80,000) in years.
Issues:
1. Language barrier: numerous issues but one example was when I said we needed the shower curtains fixed and was sent staff to clean the floors and change towels.
2. Points VS Pay: Staff knew I used points for two rooms and treated us differently than other guests. Was quite obvious. One staff member even commented to my wife about this.
3. Was not told of the casual restaurant being closed until we went to the resteraunt for dinner. Though when we checked in we were told about the restaurants and menu options.
4. Paid for room upgrade: The rooms we were upgraded to were facing the ocean and generally larger than the first rooms and had a balcony. However, the rooms were above other guests who were noisy (because the rooms have no sound proofing), the bathroom shower heads were too low, shower curtains which were way too long and a safety hazard, bathroom amenities were lacking or missing, and we were unable to select movies from the television in the childrensroom.
5. Was given “complimentary” internet access though I said no and it was unnecessary as we had no computers with us (see language issues).
6. Pushy staff: I asked what information and assistance could be provided regarding Chakannab Park. Before I even finished saying “park” I was ignored, told about another beach location and a place to eat. Not what I asked and not what I needed.
7. Nickel and dime: charge for everything and put 5-30 % on top. This was understandable and I agreed to but made extremely frustrated with the poor service.
8. Noisy rooms- third room we were moved too was as noisy as the rest and could hear people waling in the next room and outside the room in walkway.
9. Requested the GM to contact me and had no response.
10. Requested refund for upgrade or points – no response.

The positives: Room "outside" showers, grounds very well maintained, clean pools, corridors were generally beautiful, well appointed rooms, when present - excellent bathroom amenities, RF key-card system is appreciated, and good assistance with renting scooters.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank 150NightsPerYear
valenciaguillermo, General Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Presidente InterContinental Cozumel, I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced on your one day visit to our resort.

The comfort you derive from our facilities and service is our main objective. Keeping this in mind and in reference to your comments our staff on duty handled your concerns, including free breakfast for both rooms. They also took care of your bathtub inconvenience. In regards to the outside noise coming from other guestrooms, we offered you to move to better rooms and you accepted.
Last but not least we compensated you with points credit on your Platinum Member account.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity visiting us in the near future, and we will not spare efforts to guarantee your total satisfaction.

Cordially,

Marietta, GA
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I first noticed I had the beginning of a rash of sorts on my front torso the first morning I woke up on the property. (I was in room 1208 in the tower section.) I dismissed the rash as being in a new environment that was warmer than where I came from. However, each morning I awoke, the "rash" was looking more like bites and was spreading further onto the front and back of my torso. Another guest that I had met commented that the bites looked like that of bedbugs. Since I was only aware of them on the front of my torso, I dismissed the comment. However, the other guest noted to me that I had the bites all over my back.

Prior going to speak with someone at the property I did some research on the internet. I wanted to be certain that I was not making a false claim. I only contacted a clerk at the front desk (in person) on the morning of the 23rd. He looked at me aghast at my concern of my bites and the room having bedbugs. I left with no resolution. I awoke on the 24th with even more itchy bites that burned when I showered. That afternoon, I visited the front desk again. The clerk advised they would change the bedding. Since I only had 1 more night on the property and simply removing the bedding would not solve the bedbug problem in that room, I declined the bedding change. Only a mattress change of both mattresses would have helped.

After checking out on the 25th, I spoke with the Chef Concierge Jorge Luis Gutierrez about the situation. I advised that they really needed to do something about the bedbugs so other unassuming guests were not infected the way I was.

On my way to the airport I shared a cab with other guests who also had a case of bedbugs. They advised they stayed in room 1117 in the tower from December 21-25th. Thus I have learned I was not the only unsuspecting guest to have visitors in my room at night.

Upon my arrival home, no luggage or belongings were brought into my house. When I was ready to disinfect my belongings from my suitcase, I brought in only what I could wash in a load at a time. I stayed up until 2 am on the 26th. And when I awoke in the morning, I completed my laundry disinfecting chores until 3pm. (Needless this is not a pleasant way to end a vacation.)

I went to a Doc-in-a-Box on the afternoon of the 26th where I was diagnosed with an infection to bites and given an aggressive steroid and cream for my body. I ended the protocol on Saturday, January 2nd only to have the bites and itching re-surface the very next day. I have since gone back to the Dr. and have been given an extension to my treatment. If this doesn’t go away for good in 1 week, I will be getting a scrape test from my Dermatologist.

I was reluctant to complain too much as when I checked in I had to go to 4 different rooms before I could unpack. (The first 3 rooms had such an overwhelming odor of mildew I immediately became congested and would not be able to stay in those rooms.) Had I know I was electing to stay in a room with bedbugs; I would have been even more assertive about changing rooms again. When I finally did get settled into room 1208, I had to have a new mini bar put in as the one in the room simply did not work. I requested no less than 3 times in 36 hours to get a cold mini bar. When they could not get it to work properly after 3 visits to my room, they finally changed out the bar from another room I suppose. (That’s what I suggested they do.) I also had them change out a shower head that didn’t work sufficiently enough to rinse shampoo from my hair. So you can see why I didn’t comment about the bedbugs until I was certain I had bug bites.

As far a management goes, they really are not around that I saw during the day. So I spoke with front desk personnel who didn’t take my bedbug situation too seriously.

I didn’t think I would have gone through the trouble to post my review, however, since the bedbug rash cameback after the first week of Prednisone only to be re-treated and the other guests with bedbugs in addition to not knowing if the staff is actually doing anything about it puts me in the position to post my comments. I had stayed at this property before in 2005 and was glad to make a return visit. But not again, I will have to find another pre-Christmas vacation property.

In fact since my stay I have made attempts to contact the Intercontinental in the US hoping they will take my situation more seriously. They only sent my comments regarding my concerns and they pretty well blew that off too. Just be careful if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank SoloTraveler050
valenciaguillermo, Management at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
We are really sorry about your feelings that we did not take seriously your concern. This hotel has been working for 41 years, being considerate for each guest concern. Our Hotel is recognized for a lot of repetitive guests who come every year, because our respectful treatment and service.

Since your departure, room 1208 was occupied once again and we did not receive any comment.

On January 10th, considering extremely important your matter, the room was deeply checked again; a company specialized in Insect Pest Control made a conscious research with negative results (you will find attached a copy of their certification). It is important to mention, our property follows a severe insect control and fumigation plan in view of our worldwide company standards.

I did not send you the results of the inspection for the pest control company because since I wrote to you on January 9th you did not come back with new comments until now; I considered your case closed.

Considering our experience and location surrounded by tropical forest, most of the bites are caused by Baby Jellyfish, Mosquitos and Chaquistes (local name for small bugs, which usually live near the seaside and they bite in groups) and causing different reactions.

Honestly and with all our respect, we are absolutely sure there is not any bed bug problem in our property considering test results and we did not have any other guest complaints or comments than yours.

I remain at your service for any further assistance.

Cordially,

Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We have been staying at the Presidente hotel in Cozumel for many years now. After this last trip in January, we are considering staying somewhere else next trip.The hotel has suddenly gone up on prices and charging, EXTRA FEES .My wife and I both had massages in the spa.We had been paying $120usd each . This year it cost $180usd for the same massage.The next day i found out the same girl that gave my wife a massage was also the manicurest and was not even a licenced massage theropist.
At cheek out time while reviewing my bill, I was surprised to see that i was charged a $6.50usd per person charge for the 3 nights I ate in Alfredos resturant. For a total of $39.00usd. I was informed the charge was a SEATING CHARGE, How rediculas is that!!! The food was excelent and the waiter was great, but to charge people to sit down and eat when the resturant is almost empty and smells like mold is out of line.
I was also charged an aditional $25.00 usd per night stay, for 7 nights. A total of$175.00 usd. I was informed that this manditory fee was an ADMINISTRATION FEE to help TIP the maids. I dont even pay my cleaning lady here in the states that much to tidy up my room and make the bed. A task that takes about 20 min. Further more i had un knowingly left the maid a tip of $5.00 under the pillow every day.
All these charges were in addition to the 10%mexican tax, 2%hotel tax, and 8.5%resort fee, that i had to pay.
The hotel is great and the people working there are fantastic, but there are too many other great hotels in Cozumelthat are a lot less expensive and do not charge all the EXTRA FEES.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your recent stay at the Resort. We always looking forward to have valuable guest like you and meet needs and expectations and your feedback help us very much on this matter.

I look forward to welcome you again very soon, to this “su casa” in Cozumel.

Warmest regards,

Henry Walther
PHOENIX
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We stayed at the Presidente in Jan. . We had asked about bringing our little debarked toy poodle, and were told that they had a "no pet policy" except for seeing eye dogs,, thats fine but when we got there, next day we see 2 dogs playing on beach and around pool. When we asked about it, we were told that they were the General Manager and his helper·s dogs.. I asked how blind people could run the resort? But they did have a little mexican following to pick up the crap., and whats with the $ 7.00 per person seating charge at ALFREDOS RESTAURANT.. WE SAID WE WOULD STAND UP TO EAT BUT WERE TOLD IT WOULD STILL BE $3.00 PER PERSON.. We were the only ones there.. ALSO THEY CHARGED US A $25.00 RESERVATION FEE , PER DAY ..NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS, GREAT BEACH, GREAT ROOMS, GREAT SERVICE EVERYBODY WAS GREAT AND WE WILL BE BACK IN THE SPRING BUT ONLY IF I CAN BRING MY SEEING EYE POODLE, I AM NOT BLIND BUT I DO WEAR THICK GLASSES..
A HAPPY CAMPER
J.J.G
P.S. I hope the General Managers vision improves..

1 Thank JJGPhoenix
valenciaguillermo, General Manager at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
Dear Guest,

We’re very sorry for the misunderstanding regarding our pet policy. As International Company, we develop a program: “Pet friendly” and of course we accept the pet, with few rules a follows:pet must be all the time with lich and with his owner

As you can understand perfectly we are also a natural sanctuary for the Iguana and we must respect their environment . Be sure we will be happy to receive your seeing eye poodle and of course yourself…

In reference of the Resort Fee is due to the location of the Hotel in National Marine Park and we pay some extra tax for this exceptional location. We hope you will book soon your next trip to our resort and please be free to contact me for any concern or special request for your pet

Best Regards,

Cleveland
Reviewed 24 January 2010

It has been a few years since going there, admittedly but we were so excited and wouldn't hear of staying anywhere else. And after getting hawked at in the airport and on the streets getting there, we were so very sad to find that we got more in the hotel. (3 days consecutive. (until I had to say STOP, I don't want to hear about your club. No, I don't have to hear you at all...) This had never happened in previous years, we loved that we got there and no pressure, for anything.

There is now this "informational" stuff that the hotel dishes out upon checking in. (because you weren't tired and irritated enough from traveling, right?) And now PLEASE PLEASE be advised there is a 25 dollar (PER DAY) resort fee that no matter how you book, is not included in advertised rates. What you agree to is not what you will pay. Some sights (orbitz etc) tell you in fine print that there is a 25 dollar fee, nowhere does it say PER DAY. This pays for all the new things I never once used before. (tennis courts, ping pong and putting green I suppose)

We are looking elsewhere but so loved presidente (even now the hotel and staff are incredible) but I can't fathom why this stuff had to be done. If you have a bottomless wallet, and patience for pouty staff member to sell you into a club, the luxury of presidente can not be matched.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your visit and for taking the time and share the experience you had at our Resort.

Hopefully we can have you back relaxing once again in a near future.

Warmest regards,