“Very Nice and Very Expensive”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Houston, Texas
“Very Nice and Very Expensive”
Reviewed 1 August 2007

Stayed at Presidente for the first time July 26-31, 2007. After getting over the initial shock of the $25 per day "Resort Fee" and $12 per day "Service Fee", I managed to mentally salvage my trip. This is a rip off because all the servers expect a tip regardless of the "so-called" service fee.

We booked our trip through Expedia and basically got the everyday rack rate for the rooms plus $37 per day for fees. I am really more disappointed with Expedia than I am with Presidente for not telling me about the hidden costs. This was not a good deal from Expedia.

Now that I got that off my chest . . . the resort is beautiful. The recent renovations are wonderful. All the paint is fresh, the restaurants and bars are new and the rooms are like new. I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking to pay about $350 per night after the fees and taxes are added.

We paid a small upcharge for an Ocean View Room and it was well worth it. It would actually be worthwhile to pay for an Ocean Front Room which allows you to walk directly out onto the beach from your room. However, if you are a diver, there would be no balcony to dry your scuba gear in a first floor room.

We stayed in room 5204 on the south end and it had a beautiful view and was convenient to everything. They call the north end of the resort the adult quiet end, but actually that just means nobody goes up there except to sleep. I recommend a room in the 5000 building and a room from 5204 and up. Rooms 5201-5203 have a limited view of the beach due to the restaurant in front of them.

We had friends in the 3000 building and it was quite a walk to the main pool, bar and restaurant. There is a quiet pool on the north end, but the pool bar was usually closed.

Food at the open air Caribeno Restaurant was excellent. Some dishes were expensive and others reasonable. Mahi-Mahi was very good. Also, the Bar-B-Que Seafood for 2 people was good. Plan on $15 to $20 per person per meal if you eat at this resort. Yes, a couple could easily spend $120 per day on food if they eat three meals per day.

In summary, I recommend this resort and I will likely stay there again, but I'm going to negotiate a better room rate to offset the hidden costs. I think there are packages available that beat Expedia.

• Liked — Location of all the amenities.
  • Disliked — Hidden resort fee and service fee.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
8 Thank South4Scuba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 August 2007

The Presidente is undoubtedly the most luxurious of Cozumel's resort hotels. You definitely pay for that luxury, but the service is second-to-none. We upgraded to an oceanfront room with an outdoor shower - fantastic, but we probably could've haggled with the manager over the extra $50 + tax a night as they were only 25% full. Food was first rate, although about twice the price of comparable meals eaten in town (Casa Mission, a little outside of town, is a must!). We came here for the diving - the Scuba Du dive crew is the most professional we've ever had, in Mexico and elsewhere in the Caribbean. They set up and break down all your gear, give you great diving advice, plus provide water, fruit and even chilled towels. A first-rate diving experience!

Even though we had a great time - and fantastic dives - I don't think we'd go back to Cozumel for several reasons: too difficult to get to (from Chicago), not enough to do (besides diving) and more expensive than staying at the Gran Porto Real (all-inclusive) in Playa del Carmen (we love the hotel and Playa). The next time we'll likely stay in Playa, and take the ferry over to dive.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Very expensive, and no all-inclusive option
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Jarmos
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 July 2007

I spent 10 perfect days in Cozumel at El Presidente in March 2007. When I say perfect, I do not exaggerate.

The property has undergone complete renovation since the Hurricane, and the new decor is modern and comfortable. This was my second stay at El Presidente and it was better than before.

I was upgraded to an oceanfront room with a patio and steps down to the beach. Every morning I sat eating my breakfast out on the patio (sometimes at the main restaurant if I wanted the variety of a buffet), watching the iguanas chasing each other, sunning themselves or climbing the hibiscus shrubs to steal a tasty flower off the branches. I sat there, with the sweet taste of papaya in my mouth and the wide expanse of impossibly beautiful blue ocean in front of me, and it took my breath away. Every morning.

The food at the hotel is a little pricey (but you aren't exactly staying at El Presidente to watch your budget, are you???), but excellent. Down to every bite - how can beans taste so delicious? They're just BEANS! Oh yummmmmmm... The poolside burger or nachos after a dive was just heaven.

The staff is extremely attentive and warm. They take the time and effort to learn your name on your first day or two there, and thereafter greet you each time as if you were their personal special guest. If you mention to them that you are headed shopping that day, they ask if you bought anything good when you see them the next day.

I was there solo for the first half of my stay until a friend came to join, and it seemed the staff took extra effort to make me feel at ease and comfortable as a woman traveling alone.

There is a good dive shop (Scuba Du) right on the beach, with its own docks and multiple boats, so diving is as easy as can be (roll out of bed, grab your C card and go to the beach). Afterwards, there are showers and freshwater tubs to dunk your stuff and get cleaned up, melt into a lovely puddle of post-dive laziness, eat some good grub, before retiring back to your cool, shaded room with its cool stone floors to take a nap.

The spa is in a new location and while the steamroom was not working while I was there, the massage was divine.

The property is far enough away from town to feel secluded, but just a short $5 cab ride away. It's a lovely routine, really. Spend your morning or day relaxing at the hotel, clean yourself up and go for a nice dinner in town.

There is a minimal amount of mildew (inside closets and enclosed places like that), but actually considering the tropical, humid climate, it is really not bad at all. The housekeeping staff are meticulous and attentive, leaving little towel-and-hibiscus sculptures for you while you are out by the beach.

El Presidente is one of my favorite places to visit, where I feel completely taken care of, satisfied, and aching to go again as soon as possible. It is now only August and I am already planning a trip back for next Feb / Mar.

• Liked — Luxurious amenities, excellent common areas (pool, beach, etc.), top-notch service
  • Disliked — Only the 2 minutes or so where a timeshare lady in brown suits hover near you during check-in
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank J S K
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 July 2007

My wife and I spent our anniversary at the Presidente from June 23 until July1, 2007 and had a marvelous time just relaxing and enjoying the hot weather and warm Carribean Sea. We were in room 1508 which is a suite on the top floor (5th floor) with a view of the water as well as the the adult pool. The room was perfect and was squeaky clean with maid service which is second to none. The bed was great, the bathroom was super with lots of room and a view of the water just above the large tub and the balcony was private. Only items that would improve the super room at all would be a mini refrigerator and lounge chairs on the balcony along with the chairs provided. We used the mini bar to keep our drinks cold and they did not seem to mind. We always had extra water bottles left and plenty of coffee in the room by just tipping the very competent maid daily (usually only $3-4 USD) which was worth it for sure.
The restaurant food was on the high side but everything we had was very good from the nachos on the beach everyday to the fine dining in Alfredo's for our actual anniversary. We did not mention our anniversary at the dinner but when we went back to the room they sent us up one drink of our choice as well as a delicious chocolate cake for two. The $20 extra charge for meals that others mentioned is in pesos by the way so it is like a $2 charge which we thought odd but reasonable. The towel origami was different each day and very special for our anniversary...very nice touches for sure.
The snorkeling right out in front is roped off so no boats can kill you and the snorkeling is superb for being right at your door basically. It was better snorkeling there then we have seen on boat trips at other islands and there is a sunken ship with tons of fish to see...very good we thought. One thing, bring a good bug spray with DEET for the sand fleas...my wife got bit a bunch but I went bite free except for a few minor ones...just a cost of going to the beach and worth it. :)
We did rent a jeep at the hotel for a day about $80 with insurance and it was a great trip around the island with stops at Paradise beach for a drink or two and then just slowly road the eastern side of the island which is very natural except for a couple of bar/restaurant stops. Coconuts was the best stop for sure with tables overlooking the sea in a great setting.
We did eat in town several times since the meals are higher at the hotel. We both loved La Veranda the best with La Cocay a very close second. Pepe's was average but had local musicians come by the table which was very nice and the Pancho's meal was average but with a great decor.
Our main complaint of Cozumel is that there was virtually no Mexican music playing in any of the restaurants or bars which was a disappointment since their music can be so festive to listen to. I did not need to hear all the oldies from the USA while sipping Mexican drinks is a beautiful location.
We also did a half day snorkeling trip with Scuba Du right at the hotel and it was a fantastic trip to some of the best reefs for snorkeling there is anywhere (Columbian , Palancar and ?? reef were all great but Columbia was superb with turtles easily seen).

The Presidente was an EXCELLENT place to stay and return to each day and the staff was so friendly and helpful it was heartwarming. We will return someday soon we hope so get the Mexican music going.

• Liked — The clean well appointed suite and the very helpful andfriendly staff everywhere.
  • Disliked — The bugs on the beach which varied actually.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
15 Thank tczop
Denver, CO
Reviewed 16 June 2007

My family of 8 spent 8 days at the Presidente, June 8-15. This is our second time at this hotel. We were there before Hurricane Wilma. The beach here is a little bit deteriorated from how it was before, but it's not that noticeable. We spent a few evenings during the week swimming and snorkeling around the hotel and thought it was as good as anywhere else on the island. There's not much of a wake on the beach, so that was nice for the little ones. I would recommend reef shoes, however, as it is rocky in places.

Excellent service and accommodations. We were upgraded for free to ocean front rooms and had the iguana house right out the patio for the kids. The service here is outstanding. We had a little trouble figuring out the showers, thinking originally that there was no hot water, but they are the reverse of the US, so after one or two cold showers, we got a clue! LOL. The A/C worked almost TOO well - we shut it off regularly. Our maid left us towel animals almost every day, very original ones, I thought. We tipped $5/day, though I've read it should be about $1/day. (I've been a maid, it's hard work!)

The rooms were very clean and were checked several times a day for everything from towels to water.

We spent an hour or so painting ceramics by the pool at the Presidente. Children aren't always very neat about painting, and the woman asked us if we'd like her to fix them up a little. We said sure. When we got them back the next day, the woman had taken the time to further embellish them and make them look authentic. We were SO thrilled! I love the Gato I painted!

We had prepaid the hotel, so we had no trouble with our checkout having any taxes on it, as I read on one review. We ordered a movie one night and thought it would be English with Spanish subtitles, as so many are, but it was just in Spanish and had no subtitles, which the kids couldn't have kept up with anyway, and they simply gave us a credit to our bill with no hassle. We did not use the spa, but understood it was $180 for 90 minutes for 2 people. That's a buck a minute, which is on par with the US.

We found the restaurants expensive at the hotel, and we had 4 children who are sometimes finicky or don't finish a meal, so we ended up venturing into the back streets of town for most of our meals, and thus ended up eating some fabulous and original food! Two places we found were $35 for breakfast for 8 people! Wonderful chilaquiles! One night we had Domino's under a palapa on the beach for $20. No one got sick (except from swallowing too much sea water, ha ha) and the only care we really took was to drink bottled water. We rented a minivan from Ace Rent a Car (Smart Car Rental) for $410/week, which included the insurance.

We had no trouble with any of the restaurants in town or around the island trying to charge a food tax; every bill was precise and accurate. The only problem we did have was that most of the restaurants don't take credit cards, so we had to make sure we had enough cash for the total bill, and we did run out once and had to pat down our pockets for the last peso (we did not skimp on the tip though). One liquor store didn't have change for me in pesos and couldn't seem to figure out the exchange. It was $10.60/1, so you need a calculator. Mostly, to avoid the hassle we just gave them 10/1 and called it even. We were treated VERY well, then of course. The Rasta Bar has a jar that says "Good tippers go to heaven." I guess we're on our way!

We took the Atlantis Submarine trip to Chankanaab Park and that was excellent! It was the most expensive thing we did all week, and we were unsure if the 3 year old would do ok, but it was fabulous and all of the kids had a great time. There is no bathroom on the sub and it's a 2 hour tour. The tour guide was at least tri-lingual with English, Spanish and German, though even French would have been spoken if anyone had needed it. What a great job he has!

The most memorable day we had was spent at Punta Sur, just jumping in the waves for hours. The sand is very soft there and you don't need reef shoes. We went on a Thursday and had the entire beach to ourselves. Then we ate lunch at the Rasta Bar and listened to Bob Marley tunes. Great day!

We would definitely stay at the Presidente again and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed June 2007
13 Thank sc57
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 8 June 2007

We just absolutely loved this hotel! Definitely get in one of the beachfront rooms. They are absolutely wonderful. We stayed in room 5109 which I thought was in the best location. It was like we had our own private beach just steps away from our room. The service is excellent and the food good. As mentioned in other reviews, there are a lot of hidden charges, resort fees, etc. on just about everything you purchase. Hang on to your wallets because it is very expensive here! They have a "cover" charge for room service delivery of $20.00 and also a charge per person to eat at the oceanside restaurant. These charges are in addition to your meal, taxes, gratuity, etc. so it can become very, very expensive. Expect to pay an extra 25-30% on top of everything. Knowing this will make this less of a surprise when you get there. I would suggest taking a trip in to town and stock up on your sodas, snacks, etc. especially if you have kids. A bottle of water in the gift shop was $5.00. (Tip the maid and ask for extra water!) Even with all of the extra expenses I would come here again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Hidden fees
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank RudyAZ
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 May 2007

My wife and I just returned from a trip to playa del carmen and then a two night stay in cozumel. We had a chance to see a fair amount of cozumel's hotel's by taxi and by dive boat. The Presidente has by far the best beach frontage of any of the resorts we saw.
Service at the resort was excellent, our ocean view room was well taken care of and had a great view. The Italian restaurant "Alfredos" at the resort is first class.
Scuba Du, the dive shop at the resort is well managed and the dive masters are as professional as they come. They have a great protected area for snorkeling or a shallow scuba dive(15-20 feet). They sank a small barge just offshore that has quite a bit of life around it. It's almost as nice as diving Paradise reef which is located just north of the resort.
We had a great experience at the Presidente and plan on returning the next time we go to Cozumel.

• Liked — Beach and Service
  • Disliked — Club sales pitch at check-in.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple