“Great family vacation!”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Second time to Cozumel palace and this time we brought our kids 5, 11, 14. My 14 ur old and my husband dive so that is why we come to Cozumel. The palace keeps the rest of us entertained with kids club,pool, snorkeling, excursions, and spa. Suehei at the kids club is wonderful! Food is amazing, service is five star! We stayed in the loft suite.
Negatives: watch out for the push to visit the aventura spa and stay away from the over crowded playa Mia beach. Go to paradise beach instead.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Jelizabeths
Write a ReviewReviews (3,792)

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We just returned from a week's stay at the Cozumel Palace and we can't wait to go back. The activities staff, especially Danny and David made sure we were entertained all week. Our 13 and 14 year old kids enjoyed everything that was happening in the pool area and really enjoyed the water volleyball games with the friends they made from Texas.

Ricardo, Darwin, and Jorge were very helpful in setting up our daily excursions so we could spend the 1500 Palace dollars that was included in the stay. We swam with the dolphins and stingrays( which we really enjoyed), took a snorkling trip to two reefs where we saw many different fish and eels, and had enough $ for the romantic steak and lobster champagne dinner on the beach (adults only).

The food was a very pleasant surprise as it was much better than other all-inclusives that we have been to. Inside, you had your choice of Italian, Japenese, Mexican cuisine and outside by the pool (which was our favorite) you were able to choose from seafood, steak, or chicken on the grill with many side dishes to choose from. If you needed a bottle of wine, the sommelier Gabriel, was outstanding in helping you with your choice. If this isn't enough, they also provide room service free of charge!

Each night after dinner, we were entertained by the staff with a different theme show. We epecially enjoyed the Mexican Fair night with the games and auction at the end of the evening. We can't say enough about the staff of the Cozumel Palace as they made sure everyone had a great time and would always greet you with a smile. As we were leaving a few of them saw us walking by with our luggage and came over and gave us a big hug. I know that there are some negative reviews about the Cozumel Palalce, but for our family, it was the PERFECT VACATION!

Room Tip: For a great view, try to get a room on upper levels (3-5) if possible. Use a towel under door to cu...
5  Thank Rudi04
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I read every review I could before booking this trip because in 30 years of visiting Cozumel, I've never stayed at an all inclusive and never wanted to for various reasons. I stayed at this property when it was Plaza Los Glorias (not AI) and loved being close to downtown, the nice rooms, on-site snorkeling, pool... This trip our group varied in age from 18 to 61, and AI seemed worth a try since we have such different sleeping/eating schedules. We are so glad we did! I can't say enough good things about the Palace. The staff is excellent--incredibly hardworking, friendly, anything we asked for was provided within minutes and with a smile (a different bottle of wine, extra towels, etc.), the rooms are beautiful and comfortable, far better than when it was PLG. And who has 24 hour room service?! Or a hot tub in the middle of the room with a view of the ocean? The food was very good, though we still went out for several meals. We did not experience the hallway noise some have complained of (though we were far from the elevators).

The only negative I can think of (besides not being able to move to the Palace) is that the pool crowd was a bit noisy a few afternoons, but it was the sound of people having fun, it wasn't annoying. We never had a problem getting a poolside chair. Getting in and out of the water for snorkeling was easy. If your drink isn't strong enough, ask for an extra shot, it's included. And yes, tip the staff, they work incredibly hard to make your stay a good one.

2  Thank KBH78957
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at Cozumel Palace in a Family Loft Suite the week before Christmas in December 2009. Having never experienced bad weather on vacation before, it was apparently our turn to do so. It rained nearly every day, sometimes in buckets. Even so, my husband, two pre-teen kids and I had a fabulous time.

Our checkin set the tone for our stay. We were greeted warmly by ALL the staff in the lobby, and even before I could engage the desk clerk, the lobby bartender came over and offered to make my husband and I a drink. He got the kids to come over with him back to the bar and he made them smoothies while we finished checking in. Nice.

We had a loft suite, which is composed of a regular king-bed suite with bathroom and jacuzzi on the ground floor with another loft bedroom and bathroom above, accessed via a stairway. My hubby and I were a little disappointed that the kids' loft bedroom above was open to ours down below, meaning there wouldn't be much privacy. We got around that. The room and its appointments were superior - everything worked, it was spotlessly clean, there was plenty of room to move around and relax, and we had a lovely patio with a hammock just in front of the hotel's sandy "beach". The only other drawback to the loft suites is their location off a hallway that serves the hotel kitchen -- there were noisy carts being wheeled up and down the hallway outside our room from early in the morning to around ten at night, and whenever we came and went we would have to negotiate swinging doors and hustling waitstaff laden with trays, like an obstacle course. But, we got used to it - it became a running joke.

As for the snorkeling - not much to see right in front of the hotel, the coral is mostly dead here, although the water is clear. I counted 4- 5 species of fish, mostly the super-aggressive types that tend to take over areas where fish are routinely fed. They are pretty to look at, but they are it. There is far superior snorkeling and diving to be had further south, along the famous Cozumel reefs and at the park at the southern tip of the island.

There was always something to do at the Palace. The staff made special efforts to engage the guests in games both outdoors at the pool and in the lobby when it was raining. I don't normally go for that stuff but the atmosphere at the Palace is more intimate than your usual all-inclusive resort, and we got right into the groove. The unlimited top-shelf drinks certainly helped. The food was generally good, certainly superior to other all-inclusives I have visited. The asian restaurant was quirky -- not bad, just quirky. All the public areas indoors and out are kept spotlessly clean, and the staff are trained to remember you by name. I felt like I was staying with friends -- friends who waited on me hand and foot! If you want something, and one of the clairvoyant staff has not already anticipated your need, all you have to do is ask and someone, more like a team of people, will be right on it.

The hotel is within walking distance of the ferry to Playa, and to town, with all its shops and restaurants. My son discovered a big, modern multiplex movie theatre with stadium seating across the street from the hotel, hidden behind a mega-mart store. We saw a movie there one rainy day, "Avatar" in English with spanish subtitles. My son was very excited because it had just been released in December 2009, and he thought he would be the last of his friends to see it. We also rented bicycles for the day it didn't rain, and had a great time riding down the dedicated bike path along the western shore of the island, stopping at different beaches to swim and snorkel. I was surprised to find a dedicated bike path - we don't even have any in our own neighborhood.

The only small negative during the whole week was that my daughter got sick one day and spent a few hours in bed, then she was fine. I have gotten ill before in Mexico (who am I kidding, I ALWAYS get sick in Mexico), so I had been taking 2 chewable Pepto-Bismol tablets each day as a preventative and never felt sick.

We all greatly enjoyed our vacation and were sorry to go. Here's hoping you have better weather than we did, but even if you don't, the staff at the Palace are there to make sure you have fun.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Diana W
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We went there for a wedding and stayed the rest of the week for vacation. Overall, it was a smaller resort than we've been to in the past (small beach area, 2 pools which are connected, 4 restaurants), but the quality of the service, wine, & food more than made up for a smaller area to walk around. It was a great experience and we've been to our share of All Inclusive resorts in the past- the Palace Resorts were very nice!

Good points: Red wine was delicious! Their house wine was included in the All Inclusive package- the Pinot Noir and Tempranillo were by far the best- you could order by the glass or bottle. Food was great- always fresh with the smaller resort (keeps smaller quantities) and portions were just right. You could always asks for more food/seconds if you wanted, but if you just wanted little tastes, they were perfect portions. The service was great- at a small resort, it's nice to get to know your bartender or server and see them everyday, knowing they will remember what you like to drink/how you want your food cooked. Even ordering food or drinks during the day on the beach or by the pool was easy. 24 hour room service was included in the package, another great benefit when you don't feel like getting out of bed for breakfast or later that night. They also had different shows/entertainment every night at 8pm, which could be seen from 3 of the 4 restaurants.

Could be improved: 2 pools are connected- wish they could be separated a little bit, as the "activities pool" seemed to always have something going on, so if you wanted very quiet R&R, you needed to go to the beach, not be at the other pool (activities & music could be loud). Maybe even a bigger beach area would help with those wanting to relax.

Room Tip: 4th/5th floors reserved for Palace Members, so we got 3rd. Don't get 1st floor unless you don...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicolina84
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Everything about this hotel is amazing. So much so that I've booked two week long trips there this year alone. The food is amazing, the staff are by far the most gracious, accommodating, friendly employees I've ever encountered. I cannot say enough about their abilities. There are people that come to work because they have to and then there are employees that come to work because they truly love their job and this hotel should define Hospitality at ti's Best. Without their staff this hotel would still be nice, but not memorable.

Let me discuss the food...
The Mexican and outside restaurants are by far my favorite choices for dinner. The asian restaurant is okay when it comes to their cooked food, but their sushi might as well be paste with dyed fish. The italian restaurant has some pretty great items as well, but still misses the mark somewhere. The flank steak, teppanyaki, grouper, and pretty much anything revolving around their flank steak is freaking amazing. I also developed a love affair for guacamole while in Mexico. The first time I went down there in May 2011 I gained 6lbs that I contribute to my love for the green deliciousness :)

Of course there are negatives that everyone I'm sure can find, but in all honestly I will continue to stay here countless more times as along as they continue the system they have. I would HIGHLY suggest trying it out and see for yourselves.

...my only recommendation is to AVOID attending their sales pitch for the Palace Premier. This was my first interaction with aggressive time share like agents and I will NEVEr do it again. Besides that, the deal sucks. and I did not notice their VIP people being treated any differently than everyone else. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

2  Thank Scott H
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at Cozumel palace 7 months ago for our honeymoon. Overall it was a really good resort, but it is what it is. A really expensive, really fancy resort.

The staff was among the best I have ever experienced. Every single request was met with a "my pleasure to serve you" attitude.

The rooms were also among the best I have ever experienced. Clean, well stocked with mini fridge full of water, soda, and beer and mini bar, clean and hygienic.

Location is also convenient. A short walk from downtown. This cuts out the $10 cab ride from some other resorts.

My wife and I are simply just not the type who needs 5 star pampering. We never ate well because the restaurants only serve high class food that we aren't used to such as sushi, calamari, and other dishes that I couldn't even pronounce. We had a much better time at Fiesta Americana. Still a very good resort, but more our style and much cheaper. We stayed twice as long for $1000 cheaper. We ate better as well. They're buffet style restaurants with chicken, beef, fish, pasta, rice, beans, and other simple foods catered more to our tastes. We definitely GAINED weight that trip. The snorkeling on site was also much better at Fiesta Americana and the money bar a short walk away was awesome. Good snorkeling and live bands at night on the weekends.

In conclusion, if you want high class pampering go Cozumel Palace. But I wouldn't go back. Save your money if you just want good diving/snorkeling and normal food. Go FA.

• Stayed: December 2010