“Simply The "BEST"”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My wife & I just returned from a week at the Cozumel Palace. All I can say is it is everything that you have read on this site and more. Out of the 15 trips to Cozumel, we have NEVER been exposed to such polite,efficient and helpful staff. The food is the best at any AI that we have visited. Comfy, beds, clean rooms, polite staff. Management is very visible at all times. The only things we did not like was the confusion on using hotel credits, and the need for more shade / umbrellas at the pool and outside dining area. The hotel was full and that may have made the availibility less. I did not hear one guest complain about anything! I have a fickle stomach and not one problem. Although the building was old ( formerly Playa Las Glorias) it was well maintained. We certainly will return. Pictures to be posted soon. My thanks to Jazmin, Ana and staff for all you do.
Claude & Kathy Dill
Concord, NC

Room Tip: Ocean Front Jr. Suite Is A Must.
5  Thank cdill

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I was with Cozumel Palace. We chose the hotel from the excellent rating on Expedia and it did not dissapoint. From the cool towel and drink the moment you walked through the door, to the pool service, excellent food choices, and very attentive staff, our vacation was amazing from start to finish. The rooms are extremely clean, they restock the mini bar (which is included in the all inclusive package) and if you get the concierge package they leave you nightly petit fours which are to die for! If you are honeymooning, have an anniversary or even a birthday let them know when you are booking your room and they will do something special for you!! As honeymooners we got a mini cake (x2 I think on accident,) a special dinner and a few other little things!! I also heard that for birthdays they come to your room with a cake and sing happy birthday (but I'm not entirely sure, since we were on our honeymoon.)

The 1500 resort credits were amazing and we got to go on extra excursions. We didn't go see the dolphins because of the bad ratings on tripadvisor, and went to see the stingrays instead. I wish we would have done both. There were other couples at the resort that said swimming with the dolpins was so much fun. (Just be warned that the pictures at the dolphin park are extremely expensive.) If you choose to do both, make sure you have enough time with the stingrays (about an hr and a half) and then take a taxi back to the dolphins (about a $6 cab ride.) We also booked a trip to Coba, but the morning we were supposed to go it was pouring rain, and the excursion was supposed to be from 6:30 AM to 6PM. If we had a few more days on our vacation I would have really been up for this, but because it was our honeymoon, and we only had a short 5 days I didn't feel like we had the time to run around Mexico. Wish we would have booked a longer trip!

Snorkeling was great! Using the resort credits for this was worth it!! You can also borrow the resort snorkeling equipment and go out into the water to the reef. We wanted to do this, but completely ran out of time. Just make sure you stay away from the fire coral!

I highly recommend using some of your resort credits to do the lobster/steak dinner, probably the best steak I have had in a long time. Make sure you bring lots of bug spray though. You sit in the sand, which is really nice to put your feet in while you're eating, but as dusk hits the bugs are relentless. It also could have been the time of year though too.

Make sure you go downtown to the shops, almost everyone speaks a little English and they give change in dollars, not pesos almost everywhere! I suggest traveling to Playa Del Carmen. We did not get a chance to do this with such a short vacation, but others did and they said it was amazing. Also if you are looking for nightlfe in Cozumel (after the resort shuts down) grab a "to go" drink from the bar and walk the short distance to Senior Frog's. Its a dance club at night and occasionally has live music. Its lots of fun!!!

I could not have asked for a better honeymoon. I suggest bringing $100 in ones to tip, the service the palace employees give is worth it! And make sure to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff. They do an excellent job keeping your room clean and well stocked!!

Make sure to bring bug spray. If you forget anything there is a small convience store across the street from the resort, you can get just about anything there! Senior Frogs is totally worth checking out one night if you are into the dancing/club scene!

The only complaint we had was the weather, which was a bit rainy. We made the best of it and stayed in bed a bit longer, and even walked into town a few times while it was raining! If you are looking for somewhere relaxing, a great pool, the option for activities, and a close walk into town for shopping, etc, I HIGHLY recommend Cozumel Palace! We will be back!

Room Tip: Make sure to book an ocean view room, away from the elevator and ice machine. The hotel is almost a...
4  Thank GingerW11
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was at the Cozumel Palace with my husband from July 28 - August 1.
We loved every minute of our trip. The Staff makes this resort. They were always smiling and eager to please.
Luis, Restaurant Manager, even sang Happy Birthday to me. He is not only running the show, he is waiting on the customers to make sure everyone is happy.
There is also a Luis that is serving up food and drinks around the pool. So very nice. He would never have us to wait on anything. Always made sure we had a drink, snack/food, towel, etc.
The whole staff would bend over backwards to make sure the customer was happy. And they do it with a smile.
A couple of other people to notice: Ricardo - he does a good job talking to you about the tours available and making reservations for you.
Daniel and David - These guys do a fantastic job providing entertainment.
Charmin - he is a little shy but is a great bartender.
Housekeeping - They had fresh towels for us and our room cleaned twice a day. Always smiling in the hallway and asking if we needed anything.
I honestly believe these employees love their job and it shows in their performance. I can't say enough job things about them.
On August 2, we left Cozumel and went to a Palace resort in Cancun so we would be close to the airport. This place doesn't hold a candle next to the service we received in Cozumel. Front desk no greetings, no smiles, nothing but poor attitudes. Even the guests didn't seem too happy to be there.
We will definitely return to Cozumel Palace.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stuckon75
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and, after months of planning and reading reviews, we were sorely disappointed.

I will try to make this to the point:

Positives:
- Service in the restaurants was very good
- The different pools and ocean front was a nice variety
- They greet you with a flower and cool towel at arrival which is a nice touch
- The entertainment is better than some other AI
- The hotel is close to town which makes for a nice walk into town at night

Negatives:
- Their "vacation club" which is a modified time share option is very expensive. My husband and I decided to go to their sister resort on the mainland with an open mind to hear their presentation. It was exorbitantly expensive and, overall, a waste of an entire day.
- The only way to get the "free car rental" is to go to their vacation club presentation
- the entire hotel smelled musty and in order to cover up the smell, bathrooms, guest rooms and the like were heavily perfumed with a terrible scent. I understand the island is humid but we went into other hotels on the island that were not musty and used no such cover-up odor.
- The 1500 in free points were a good bonus but, and I do not exaggerate, it took as much as 2 hours to make an appointment for one activity. In fact, we literally wasted an entire day of our vacation attempting to schedule appointments. We were there at a busy time but they really should have hired extra staff to accommodate.
- We had to fight for almost everything. For ex, when we got the "free rental" after wasting one of our days listening to their presentation, they gave us a stick shift. When we said we don't know how to drive stick shift, we were told then that the only free car was a stick and we had to pay for an automatic. It was so ridiculous. My husband was so frustrated and he is the calmest, most forgiving person.
- The rooms were just regular-sized hotel rooms, just with a Jacuzzi tub. Nothing fancy and not very new-appearing
- Housecleaning never replaced any used items. Even if the shampoo was all gone, they never put a new one. We always had to ask them to replace several things, every night.
- They were not very clean or tidy. Several days I found other people's hairs (blonde hairs while we are both brunettes) on our supposedly clean new towels
- The food was not good at any meal except for dinner at the Italian restaurant. The selection is much smaller than at other AIs and the quality is mediocre.
- It rained a few times while we were there and there was water everywhere. I fell twice while there on the wet marble floors. This is one way the hotel is showing its age.
- We often found room service food sitting in common areas for long periods of time. In fact, when we were first given our room, there was food sitting outside our room!
- The purported amazing snorkeling in Cozumel escaped us. We have snorkeled in many places, some well-known for snorkeling and some lesser known than Cozumel, and Cozumel did not measure up. There was rarely a fish to be seen anywhere and we went to 4 different beaches plus the snorkeling trip provided by the hotel using the points. We came here primarily for this and were disappointed.
- The pool closes very early, 7:00 or 8:00 p.m.
- I lost an important item and all I got was feigned interest without any results or calls back or answers to my inquiry.
- overall, it seems for almost all aspects of service, people only feigned interest in making sure you had a nice time. Whenever you actually had a request or wanted to make an appointment or needed anything, it was clear that their main intention was not to make the customer happy

There is so much more I can say but I don't enjoy being so negative. I did want people to know this side though. Vacation time is so valuable and honeymoons are once in a lifetime. We all work hard and look forward to just relaxing for a few days so take these points into consideration. Unfortunately, so much of our vacation was spent in frustration that we would not go back and would not recommend this hotel.

24  Thank LAtravel11
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was an awesome place because of several reasons. Update decore, very comfortable beds, liquor/drinks in fridge were always kept filled, had unique treats not found at other resorts, smaller than other resorts which we loved since it did not take forever to get from room to any hotel fun spot, great spa experience, was within walking distance to downtown, (which we did to go listen to music downtown in the evening), had great rental jeeps/car that were 2011 models, super views from rooms, took laptop and had great wifi service for free, free calls back to US to check on family, pictures on web page excactly what you got, VERY FRIENDLY AWESOME STAFF! I could go on but it would take forever to list all the positives at the exceptional resort. My husband is not big on resorts but HE SAID can't wait to go back, planning another trip next year. Highly recommend Cozumel Palace to anyone. One last thing, although Cozumel is a part of Mexico, we NEVER felt uneasy about safety/crime. Again, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on 4th/5th floor to get good view of pool area
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nana0523
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Pretty good hotel overall. Very clean, nice, with a great promotion for 1500 hotel credits. The credits are not exactly USD's in value (a romantic dinner for a couple that should be around $100, was priced at 350 credits), but still - the credits are very useful. We used them for spa, dolphins, stingrays, snorkeling, diving, etc. Room service is very good, stuff is very friendly. Food/drinks are "kind of ok": acceptable but nothing special, which is typical for a mid-level all-inclusive. Every night they have an hour long show. But the shows end by 8:45-9:00PM and there is not much activity after that. By 10-11PM the resort is practically "dead". Thus, it's rather a quiet place at night and if you are looking for some "external" night excitement, you might be disappointed. Other than that, the Cozumel Palace is very good, especially for a family vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank snovi28
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Cozumel Palace is a nicely appointed resort although, I've not stayed at any other hotels in Cozumel to compare it to. As in other reviews, it's kind of a drag that there is no "sandy beach" at the Hotel, but it is pretty cool that you can snorkel right on the resort. Staff was super friendly from beginning to end. (with the exception of one vacation planner who insinuated that I was some how trying to pull a "fast one" on the hotel because they had me down to do an 80 minute massage when I in fact signed up for a 50 minute message. a $175 difference. Make sure you review your reciepts they give you. Don't trust that they wrote the info down correctly.) My girlfriend and I had $1500 worth of "Resort Credits" which we took advantage of. GREAT DEAL. I've seen some people on here complain that the resort credits aren't of much value because "a $20 bottle of wine will cost you $80 in credits". SO WHAT!? IT IS FREEEEEEEE! These are the same people who get a free T-shirt then complain it's the wrong size. Gimme a break! With our credits we got a room upgrade, massage, scuba trip, bottle of wine, swam with the sting rays and some cool pics of my girl with a monkey. Not too shabby for ZERO dollars.

The food on the resort is good. I stayed at Riu in Cancun and liked the larger variety much better, but I understand that Cozumel Palace is a smaller resort and is somewhat limited in space. The sushi restaurant there was pretty good, although all they seemed to have, that was raw, was tuna. (they were out of salmon) Make sure you bring pants and a collared shirt to eat at the Italian spot. (dress code enforced) lots of menu items and what my girlfriend and I had was pretty tasty. I've seen some people on here complain that the plates are too fancy and the portions are too small. Ummm. First off, I don't see how a plate can be "too fancy". Secondly, if the portions are too small, ORDER ANOTHER PLATE!!!! It's ALL INCLUSIVE! Geeze. (also, if you think the portions are too small, I bet you could stand to skip a few meals.)

All in all, I had a pleasant time at Cozumel Palace.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends