“Best Trip in 2011”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 5 January 2012

After many trips to Cozumel and several hotels, I must say the trip to Cozumel Palace in July,2011, was the best yet. Excellent food & service. If you are going to Cozumel, consider this hotel.

Room Tip: All are great, the Jr. Suite is better.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Enjoyed a week at Cozumel Palace December 17-24. All-inclusive, top-notch resort. Took our two teens this time and they loved it. We love the "no-reservation" a la carte restaurants. Breakfast buffet was the highlight for the kids. Kids also enjoyed being able to walk into town and take the ferrry to Playa as well as snorkel anytime they wished. We used our resort credits to swim with the dolphins and feed the stingrays. Bought pictures with the rest of our credits so we didn't spend any extra $$. I am in the restaurant and hospitality industry and I tipped on drinks, dinner, entertainment, etc. Why? Becase we thought it was well deserved! This resort is smaller than other Palace resorts and most other all-inclusives, but we like it. We stayed in a loft room - king bed, bath and jacuzzi on main floor with 2 double beds upstairs with fulll bath. Great room for families. We recently spent a week in Cabo at a Riu resort with over 900 rooms and we felt lost. Already booked a week at another Palace in Isa Mujueres for April - all adult resort, only 60+ rooms - can't wait! The Palace Resort company is 1st rate. Weather was in the high 70s during the day, mostly sunny with some rain at night.

Room Tip: Loft Room - 4014
4  Thank PBaltz
Joaquin_Ariztegui, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you so much for staying for a second time at Cozumel Palace, for your comments and for taking the time to share them through Tripadvisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can make things better.

It is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, knowing that will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts.

Our hope is that every vacation be a memorable and enjoyable one. We sincerely hope that you will return to Mexico many more times in the future and once again giving us the opportunity to host you at Cozumel Palace. I know you will enjoy Isla Mujeres Palace.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Cozumel Palace. I don't consider myself incredibly well-traveled, but over the years, I've stayed at resorts where I've just been blown away by the incredible views, lush landscapes, breathtaking backdrops, and outstanding architecture. Was I blown away by Cozumel Palace? No. Not necessarily. Was it a wonderful resort? Yes, absolutely.

We chose to stay at CP, based on a few things. A) It was highly rated on TA and we almost always go by TA reviews. B) It provided easy access to scuba diving, and C) We wanted to try an all-inclusive.

A few things that were outstanding...

Customer Service. If you've read even 5 other reviews of Cozumel Palace, I don't need to say anything else--They are all true. I have never in my life experienced this level of customer service. You will never lift a finger (seriously, you don't even have to put your own napkin on your lap or carry your heaping buffet plate back to your table). You are absolutely treated like royalty.

The Rooms. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Suite (310), which is considered one of the more basic rooms. We did use about 700 resort credits to upgrade from a city view, and it seems well-worth it. First of all, the bathrooms are great. The shower is big, good water pressure, nice amenities (large shampoo, conditioner, and lotion bottles), over-sized towels. The bed was among the most comfortable I've slept in. The in-room jacuzzi was nice and I was surprised we actually used it (even if it was mostly to rinse our scuba gear). There is a nice living space beyond the jacuzzi that overlooks the ocean. The balcony is spacy with a hammock and two chairs.

The location. In my opinion, CP is perfectly situation on the Island of Cozumel. There is a large discount grocery store directly across the street (you certainly won't need any more food or drinks than provided at the resort, but it was nice to have when we needed some Dramamine!); the ferry to Playa Del Carmen is a 5 minute walk as is the downtown tourist area; and the port is located a few blocks down, so you get to watch the large cruise ships come in and out of the island.

I don't have much to compare CP to in the way of all inclusives because I've only stayed in partially inclusive resorts but I will say, if this is what the all-inclusive experience is about, I'll never choose anything else again! CP may seem a tad pricy compared to other hotels in the area, but believe me, you get more than your money's worth.

I have so many great things to say about Cozumel Palace, but there were just a few things that kept me from giving them a 5 star rating.

First, was the resort credit process. Apparently the credits are part of the Mexican government push for tourism and they were great! We did a lot of research before we arrived and knew exactly what we wanted to use the credits for. It seemed like it would be easy enough to just book the tours/services we wanted, but it was actually quite a process. First, you sit down with a concierge, who spells out your entire trip and maps out exactly how you could use the credits. Once you have an idea of what you want to use them for, you go meet with a different person for the booking. Now you can only use up to a certain dollar amount for SCUBA, spa, etc. and the pricing is set just right so that you either don't use all the credits you could, or you use them and ending up paying some of the cost out of pocket. Then, you have to sign a lot of paperwork, have tickets printed up, passes to turn in, yada, yada....Another thing is, the staff are paid commission based on the tours they book so they tend to be a little pushy about making sure you use ALL of your credits, whether you want to or not.

Another thing that wasn't so impressive was the spa. We ended up using $300 credits for a couples massage and paying $15 out of pocket. We wanted to book separate massages and only use $250 credits, but there wasn't any availability?? My massage was fabulous (with Yara) but my husband's was not so great. We also had mani/pedis another day and both agreed that we would rather have done without. If I had to pay out of pocket for the mani/pedi I got, I would have asked for my money back--but I guess that's the beauty of getting something for free, so can I really complain?

For me, the food was just okay. There were some meals, like the New Years Eve dinner, that I though were just plain bad. The daily breakfast buffets were outstanding and the room services was perfect.

For me, Cozumel Palace was an excellent resort, with outstanding customer service and we are already planning our next trip back. To give CP a rating of 5 means that there is zero room for improvement, so I'm hard pressed to do that. All in all, I would come back in a heart beat and I would recommend this resort to anyone!

A tip for future travelers.....

**If you take the trip to Playacar Palace, be prepared to sit through a time share sales pitch. We were told ahead of time that we would be asked to sit through an optional 90 minute presentation on the Palace VIP package. It is optional, but if you don't take it, you don't get your extra 100 credits, your taxi fare reimbursement, or your free ferry ticket home! The presentation ended up being a couple of hours long and I really sort of felt duped. If you are interested in the Palace VIP, wait it out. They sweeten the deal every 5 minutes you sit there "deciding" if you want to buy in.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jhouston
Joaquin_Ariztegui, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2012

Thank you so much for staying at Cozumel Palace, for your comments and for taking the time to share them through Tripadvisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can make things better.

Yara was very pleased to be mentioned.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

My family and I spent 2 fabulous weeks at this incredible resort...and we've already planned our return trip.

EVERYTHING positive you have heard about this resort is true!

What really sets this resort apart from all he others is the outstanding staff who work tirelessly to ensure that all guests are treated like VIPs.

I spent a week in Aprl 2011 at much more expensive and exclusive resort on Cozumel. We had a great time, but it pales by comparison in every respect to the Cozumel Palace.

Exceptional value..Outstanding Experience!

4  Thank DarrinRSeattle
Joaquin_Ariztegui, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2012

Reviewed 31 December 2011

My husband and I stayed a week at the Cozumel Palace, also extended family booked rooms and stayed too. It is a fabulous all inclusive vacation location. The facility is lovely, on the water, very clean, with gracious and helpful staff everywhere (the front desk, the spa, the wait staff, the housekeepers, the entertainers, everyone!) The food was delicious, varied and available 24 x 7. The beverages were equally good and free flowing. The nightly entertainment was a notch above what we had experienced at another all inclusive vacation. The day time activities were great, including water aerobics, yoga, stretching, black jack, roulette, pool basketball/volleyball etc. There are many adventures you can avail yourself to near by like snorkling, scuba (fabulous location for diving!!!), swimming with dolphins and rays, walking to downtown, a ferry ride off the island, etc. Also the jacuzzi rooms are terrific, spacious with a balcony and indoor jacuzzi, safe that holds your laptop too. The beds were SO comfortable, we slept so well, we chose to keep balcony door open but air conditioning is an option. We will return with more family and friends!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Joaquin_Ariztegui, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Reviewed 31 December 2011

What a beautiful resort! The food in all the restaurants far exceeded my expectations in variety and quality. The facility was impeccably clean and up to date. But most importantly, I have never been to a resort where every single employee we came in contact with was genuinely friendly and helpful. My adult boys and I will definetely choose a Palace resort in the future when traveling to Mexico.

Room Tip: I would have loved a suite for me and my boys, but we booked our reservation too late and there were...
2  Thank Lynne A

Reviewed 30 December 2011

My wife and two college age daughters stayed at the Cozumel Palace from 12/24-29. It was a great place. The staff was uniformly helpful and friendly. We stayed in a junior suite (oceanside) room, which was very comfortable. The facilities were in great shape and you always saw someone cleaning something. The food from the three restaurants was first class. I did find the pool side lunches below average and service at the pool to be spotty. As a family we used our resort credits on the "swim with the dolphins," the spa, pictures, and a tour of the Mayan ruins in Coba, all of which we enjoyed. There is no sand beach, but you can go snorkeling right off the property. There were activities going on throughout the day, some of which we participated in - like yoga and bingo and blackjack- and all of which we liked. Our family hated to leave.I recommend it!

1  Thank Harold F
Joaquin_Ariztegui, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2011