“Fantastic hotel, outstanding service, great location!”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This is our third time to Cozumel and second year to be here for the Ironman. After staying last year down on one end of the island, we decided a more central location was needed, and better food was a must. After reading the terrific reviews online, we booked this hotel 6 months early and were not disappointed!
First, the location. It is right on the water, I was surprised to learn many are not, and it was within walking distance to the Ironman expo, finish line, center of town, and right across the street from a large grocery store and pharmacy. Couldn't ask for more.
The hotel is on the small to medium side which was ok with us. The decor is really nothing fancy but more of an understated modern/tropical style with plenty of seating areas in the lobby, a nice bar, gorgeous views of the ocean, and the most friendly and smiling faces I have seen in a while. The staff is exceptional here. Always greet you with a smile and a hello. No matter if you are in the lobby, at the pool, in a restaurant, there is always someone there to ask you if you need or want anything. We even ate our lunch one day while in the pool, the staff was more than happy to set everything up for us along the side so we didn't have to get out. Just cannot say enough good things about them.
We booked the city view room but asked for an upgrade once we got here and were given a ground floor ocean view suite that was towards the end of the hall and overlooks the ocean and one of the beach areas. It didn't bother us that we were on the ground floor, you can hear the waves and hardly anyone was ever on this beach away from the pool. It was also convenient with the bike, to go get coffee or anything in the lobby, and we really didn't mind it. The room was nice, nice sitting area with a small balcony, huge jacuzzi tub in the middle of the suite,and the bedroom was just a step up with a king size bed, always stocked fridge, tv that swivels to be viewed from anywhere in the room, plenty of lighting, and a nice, but not large, bathroom. We were very comfortable in here, even with two large suitcases, a bike, triathlon stuff everywhere, and two bodies. Lol
The food was outstanding everywhere we ate in the hotel. Again, service was exceptional. Breakfast is buffet style with an "omelette station" that also makes any style eggs, pancakes, crepes, French toast, waffles, etc. Even with the room full, you never really waited long for anything.
Lunch was either outside poolside or buffet style in the Italian restaurant. We did both and both were equally great. They have a brick pizza oven by the pool and it makes pretty good pizzas. All brought to you pool side, or they do have tables and chairs under cover as well.
The drinks were all good to me. We are not big drinkers but I tried a couple different things and they were all tasty to me.
Dinner choices were some kind of themed outdoor patio buffet, the Italian restaurant which requires men to wear pants, an Asian place, and a Mexican restaurant. The only one we did not try was the Mexican one as we met our team and friends out a few nights elsewhere, but the Asian and the Italian places both had a lot of choices and the food was delicious each time. They put on some kind of show outside on the patio along with the themed buffet. We did that one night, again a lot of choices, and everything was good.
Room service is 24 hours, which is extremely helpful with a hungry triathlete at 4am or even 11 pm. No matter what time, or what we ordered, food was always the perfect temperature, got here quickly, and was delicious. And they set up a special buffet at 4am for the athletes race day morning. Again, couldn't have asked for more.
The pools are very nice, heated which was a nice surprise, and we never had any problems finding chairs to lay on. Being that it was the holiday and the island and hotel were full with triathletes for the Ironman, I saw some early risers and chair saving but I still never had any problems. There are two beach areas which are nice and stairs to climb into the beautiful ocean waters. One day, we used the free snorkel gear and did a couple laps around. Obviously not the best place to snorkel but it was fun none the less.
We liked the hotel so much we have already booked it again for the Ironman next year , and a few of our friends either ckd in with us this time, and/ or going to stay here the next time as well. It really is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Try out the Prima restaurant next door, it has great food and fantastic views!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
CozumelPalaceGM, Gerente at Cozumel Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Dear deejenna

Thank you very much for your review.

It is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, knowing that will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts.

Our hope is that every vacation be a memorable and enjoyable one. We sincerely hope that you will return to Mexico many more times in the future and once again giving us the opportunity to host you at Cozumel Palace. Congratulations for your participation at the IronMan Cozumel 2012 and we are happy to read that you have already reserved your room for the IronMan Cozumel 2013.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The Cozumel Palace is located in easy walking distance of the town and several attractions. The hotel is very nice with a subdued elegance. What makes this hotel truly outstanding is the incredible staff who remember you very well and go above and beyond expectations to make sure you have a fantastic time. The hotel has the best staff of any hotel where I have ever stayed. It was perfect.

As a note, if you want a beach, find another hotel: this hotel is right on the ocean, but does not have a beach. If you don't care, it's awesome.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SMF-Collegeville

Dear SMF-Collegeville

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This place is wonderful! Definitely exceeded my expectations! The service is incredible and hotel is the nicest on Cozumel island! The whole staff goes above and beyond to make your stay fun and comfortable~ This place is amazing and I will stay here every year from now on!!

Room Tip: every room has a great view- but I did like the south side that overlooks the dolphin swim area from...

Dear cbochick

Reviewed 23 November 2012

My husband and I travelled to Cozumel Palace for a 1 week romantic getaway (Nov 14 – 21). We have stayed at many middle to high end all inclusive resorts including (because I don’t always get around to reviewing) Excellence Playa Mujeres, Excellence Riviera Cancun, Sun Palace, Majestic Elegance (twice), Majestic Colonial, Bahia Principe Tulum, RIU Tequila, RIU Santa Fe, etc...

We debated a long time between rating this trip 4 or 5 stars but in the end decided on 4 stars because Palace resorts are (relatively) expensive and we felt we should not have felt so frustrated and second-class on check in... (see below)

We agree with most of the reviews here for Cozumel Palace. The service is excellent, the views are truly beautiful, the maid service was the best we have ever seen (such organizational skills!), the food was good to great and the resort credits were very easy to use...

Some notes tho..

Previous to arriving at Cozumel Palace (booked an oceanview junior suite 7 months in advance with Palace resorts), I had sent a request asking for a higher floor room with a larger private balcony. I understand that requests are just that and not guaranteed, however, what we received was a ground floor room with (almost) no view except of the members only beach area and NO BALCONY. There were sliding doors to a one foot wide space that could not possibly be called a balcony! Seriously, there were no chairs (they would not fit). You could maybe stand there, but you’d be in the member’s area, so I’m not sure you’d be allowed! Haha...

I didn’t know from reading reviews that this type of room was even a possiblility. The front desk actually said “well it does have an ocean view” but my booking clearly described their rooms as “oceanview junior suite with balcony, most with hammock”.

We went straight back to the front desk and were told that the only other room available was on the second floor with 2 double beds...for 2 nights that is where we stayed...this room had a full balcony with a pretty view and if we had not been able to upgrade to concierge, we would have been happy to stay there for the remainder of our trip even without a king bed...

The upgrade to Concierge was handled well by Hugo at the front desk. He was able to confirm the upgrade the night before and the following day, we spent the day enjoying ourselves and switched directly from one room to the other without ever being displaced...

The concierge upgrade was worth it to us. There is an upgraded room service menu and wine by the bottle available. We also had 2 very relaxing 25 minute massages. This room also afforded us a great view of the shows right from our balcony which we really enjoyed. It’s the first time in a long time that we have bothered with seeing shows, but the convenience and comfort from our balcony was really enjoyable.

We thought that the balconies should have some sort of lounger chair(s). There is certainly enough room and it would be nicer than the plastic chairs that they have now.

Our favourite meals were had in the Italian restaurant and kudos to Alejandro there for being such an attentive and fun server.

The pool area was great and there was never a shortage of chairs. I didn’t notice any chair saving going on at all. That was really nice to see. Service at the pool was terrific. Juan Emmanuel took care of us most of the time and was very pleasant. We tried to sit in his area when we could.

We used our credits for the couple’s hot stone massage. I would skip that next time and have a regular one because we much preferred the therapeutic massage that we had previously. Also there was nothing really ‘couples ‘ about the massage, they just opened the door between the 2 massage rooms...

My husband was able to use our credits for a 2 tank dive and enjoyed that immensely. He could have had another 2 tank dive but unfortunately, the harbour was closed that day due to roughness...

Do not talk to the people in the desks across from reception unless you really want to buy a time share. Otherwise, these people will take up your time and then you still have to go around the corner and book with the actual booking people. The people around the corner will give you the real times that are available.

We thought we would really miss not having a beach but found that we did not mind it. We enjoyed jumping in the ocean and swimming and enjoyed not having sand on everything.

I feel the true test of any review is the answer to the question ‘would you go back?’ and the answer is yes, most definitely! Hopefully next time, we can give it 5 stars...

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on the ground floor with NO BALCONY!
3  Thank play_it_again

Dear play_it_again

Thank you very much for your second review, each stay you honor us with your comments.

Alejandro and Juan Emmanuel were very pleased to be mentioned.

I am concerned for the inconvenience experienced regarding your room assignment, can assure that measures have been taken to make sure this will not happen again in the future. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal to provide you with the highest quality services we are used to.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Thank you for making our stay warm, relaxing, and very enjoyable. I love to be waited on, and everything was " my/our pleasure" , I love that. The Palace offers so much more than a hotel or resort, you have to soak it in, it takes days, we went for 7, but next year its 10. Have to have more. Love love love the service everywhere in the place. Thank you. We really enjoyed every moment, and took to all of our wonderful friendly servers. Andres the server, Roger by the Pool. Maria at breakfast. the head waiter/cook at breakfast also. ( i dont recall his name ) bringing my husband fresh shaved salmon every morning with capers. Wow! what a treat. definately need to diet before coming to the Palace.
Room was amazing, full bar, balcony with wine. Love the linens, room service to spoil ourselves.
The most enjoyable vacation we have had in many years. We will be back.

Room Tip: the suites ocean side are amazing, I spent hours on the balcony. Worth the money, love the view. so...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carrie C
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Cozumel Palace is a wonderful place to stay. You are treated like family. They call you by name and give unsurpassed service. The food is excellent, the nightly shows are entertaining and fun, the activities plentiful and the spa is great. It is hard to leave a place where you are pampered. We have been coming to the Cozumel Palace for the last 4 years and find that their turnover of staff is minimal so we have come to know many of the staff. Their favorite words are "It is my pleasure" and you feel they really mean it!

Room Tip: I think almost all rooms face the ocean which is very nice.
3  Thank wmj51
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My husband & I stayed at Cozumel Palace from Oct. 31 to Nov. 7/12 and this was our second visit here. I will say that we seemed to enjoy this visit even more than our first visit. It didn't hurt that we had beautiful weather every day without a drop of rain anywhere but we all know the resort can't control that.
Having stayed here before and being Palace members we knew what to expect but felt the staff was exceptionally attentive this visit. We spent most of our outdoor time in the area by the dock where the divers were picked up and Lorenzo & Henri Jacob were our servers for the whole week and we were well taken care of. I had a cast on my leg and was unable to use the lounge beds so they made sure I had an upright lounge chair ready for me every day. It's the little things that make a trip extra special.
We ate 4 nights out of 7 in the Italian restaurant. We own a seafood restaurant in Canada and must commend Chef Oscar for his calamari. EVERY TIME we ordered it (even when we were outside watching the show - having eaten elsewhere that night) it was cooked to perfection and we know how the timing must be exact or it's overcooked. Great job Chef Oscar- we enjoyed every order. The Turquesa has exceptional staff and exceptional food. Our thanks to Fabiola- head waiter, Enriques- server & of course Gabriel- who looked after the wines.
We dealt with Richard and Darwin in guest services who made sure we got to do everyting we wanted to do this visit. Great guys - very pleasant and easy to deal with.
My husband & I both had spa treatments and felt very relaxed afterwards. The spa is not as large as in other resorts but the service is great.
We had a fabulous week and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple