“Vacation hell.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Vacation hell.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I were given a week long vacation here in October 2013. Pros: dive shop and their staff are great, location on the island can't be beat! Cons: staff is pushy and in your face, especially about their "promotions" otherwise known as time share sales pitch, they also wound not give us directions to places in town. Example, we wanted to walk to the chocolate factory, we were told "not even the taxis know how to get there, but we could sign up,thru the hotel for a chocolate tour on Friday". Quite possibly the worst part of the trip was the food. I can't begin to explain how horrible the food was. We tried almost everything I an attempt to find something that was edible, no luck. Lunchmeat on the pizza, nachos were what you would find at a sports game but worse, quesadillas were stale tortillas with flavorless white cheese, sushi restaurant....hahaha, not so much. We ended up buying food from the grocery store and eating sandwiches and cereal in our room. After talking to many people we discovered a) most loved the food. Comments like " I can eat a T bone every night here" well if you like 1/2" thick over cooked steak, this us the place for you, b) most people never let the pool much less the resort. I was shocked by how many people said they got ankle deep in the ocean, once. If you want to stay at a cruise ship on land this is the place for you. Cozumel is a beautiful and safe island, and there are many great places to eat and people to meet if you leave the "compound". Don't drink the cool aid, go explore!

Room Tip: Noise from the hallway and door slamming
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissMagnolia10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
  • Hebrew first
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Like many of you, I read hundreds of awesome reviews about Cozumel Palace before I booked it. Being the skeptic that I am, however, I thought that reality can’t possibly live up to the hype. I couldn’t have been more wrong. This place is truly a gem and the overall quality of vacation it provides far exceeds the price tag. I purchased the trip through All Inclusive Outlet, an online travel agency, and their prices and service are also stellar.

Arrival
We used our miles to upgrade to first class, so we were off the plane and had our luggage within a matter of minutes. However, we still had to wait about 30 minutes or so for our shuttle, which wasn’t a big deal. The van was kind of full, but being that the resort was only 10 minutes from the airport, it wasn’t an uncomfortable ride.

Upon arrival, we received a warm greeting from the bell boys and reception and received some welcome drinks, a cool towel and a flower. Check-in was quick and we immediately walked over to book our excursions using the $1500 credit. Of course we got the, “Meet us to talk about our non-timeshare membership” spiel, but we said no and he didn’t push it. Because we brought our 2-year-old, we were a bit limited on what excursions and additional activities we could do. I was sort of bummed because we hoped to the Chankanaab tour, but that it only available on Mondays and Saturdays, our arrival and departure days. Wasn’t the fault of the resort though. I guess we will need to stay longer next time! ;) We ended up just doing the Stingray Tour, which we enjoyed and I will describe more below.

As soon we finished that, we were escorted to our room around 12:30 p.m. There were no issues with getting our room before 3 p.m.

Room
We had a Junior Jacuzzi Suite with a stunning ocean view. It was very nicely appointed with a hammock on the balcony and a large walk-in shower. Luckily our little guy takes showers with us now because there is no tub. It was perfectly comfortable for a couple with two kids. My husband especially liked the liquor dispenser.  We requested a crib for our son and the bell boy brought us a Pack ‘n Play within five minutes.

When I describe the food at Cozumel Palace to friends and family, all I need to say is that even my husband was impressed. He is a foodie and thoroughly enjoyed every meal we had. I think we are going to be ruined for other all inclusives in this respect! ;)

Buffet - We walked down to the buffet after we got settled and that’s where our week of fantastic meals began. It’s small, so we weren’t expecting much, but once you take a closer look, you see how many options are made to order. There were burgers, fish, pizza, tostadas and more that the grill cook could whip you up in just a few minutes! We don’t eat meat, but the fish was moist and tender in every dish we had. And even the food on the buffet was fresh. I noticed on several occasions that the cooks were replacing half-full plates of food with new, fresh plates. I had the best dessert for lunch one day at the buffet. It was a white cream with chocolate chips on top of chocolate cake. It was to die for and I’m still having dreams about it!
For breakfasts, they had anything and everything you could imagine from eggs of any style, including Mexican egg dishes of course, waffles, pancakes, cereal, pastries and so on. They even had fresh-squeezed orange juice and other juices that were very refreshing.

Asian – On our first night there, we went to the Asian restaurant. Again, our expectations weren’t high because you don’t think of delicious Asian food in Mexico. Wow, we were wrong! They had a half dozen or so sushi options on a buffet and about 8-10 more you could order off of the menu. All of them rivaled any decent sushi place in our hometown. The spicy tuna tasted super fresh and was my husband’s favorite! The soups, egg rolls and seafood dishes were all excellent.

Italian – The Italian was truly a five star dining experience. We were treated to white linens, smooth house wines and delicious breads. And that was within the first five minutes! My husband ordered calamari, which I usually don’t like, but it tasted so crisp and fresh that I ate most of it! I had a fresh mozzarella salad, spinach ravioli and my husband had some kind of seafood dish. All were quite flavorful! The desserts, which they had about half a dozen options, really hit the spot as well.

Mexican – We knew the food at the Mexican restaurant had to be good and it certainly was! The fresh guacamole had a delicious, creamy consistency/flavor that I’ve never experienced before. The grouper and tuna steak that hubby and I had were fresh, tender and seasoned just right.

Snack Bar- The snack bar had a diverse menu, from burgers and sandwiches to tostadas and nachos and lots more. I LOVED the fish tostadas and the nachos were addictive. Also, they have woodfire pizza from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. every night and it beats pizza I’ve had in our Little Italy! My husband, Mr. Foodie, loved the one with onions and fresh mozzarella.

Other Food – There were often desserts in the lobby and the chefs came around the pool during the day with tasty treats. What a nice surprise! I should also mention that they offer a kid’s menu at all of the restaurants with your typical kid’s fare like chicken nuggets, pizza, fish sticks, etc. They were good too and we appreciated having that option for the kids.

Service is what Cozumel Palace is known for and it was probably the best I’ve experienced in my life. Everyone was so attentive and treated us like royalty. When we first made our way out to the pool, we couldn’t find enough seats. Well, they brought us extra chairs, as well as an umbrella, without us even asking. Where does that happen in the US??? Sylvia was the server who took care of us by the pool most of the week. She always made sure we had a drink in hand, food in our bellies and even brought an umbrella over when I was watching my husband and stepson snorkel in the rain. We truly miss her smile! Jacob was also an excellent server and took great care of my stepson. I wish I could remember everyone else’s names. Everyone fro the servers to the bartenders to the maids to the reception staff were all tremendous They played with my 2 yr. old and talked to us like friends. The staff all seemed genuinely happy.

Housekeeping
Housekeeping was great. The room was always stocked with fresh towels and toiletries. The maid even organized our stuff. I also want to mention that I accidentally left my wedding ring on the sink counter and it was still there when I returned. Palace obviously hires honest people!

Pool and Snorkeling Area
I was a little worried about picking Cozumel Palace because the last resort we visited in Punta Cana had a HUGE pool and a breathtaking beach. We didn’t feel like we were missing out on ANYTHING here, however. The pools were big enough to get cool without feeling cramped.
The ocean access from the resort was awesome. I jumped from the dock into the water several times like a big kid! My husband, who doesn’t get excited by much, said with a huge smile on his face that he felt like he was flying when he was snorkeling. “You can see all the way to the bottom in the crystal clear water,” he exclaimed to his parents when we got home. He saw more fish than I did, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Excursions
Like I stated above, we couldn’t partake in a lot of the included tours because of our short stay (5 nights) and having our 2-year-old with us.

Stingray Tour - We did the Stingray Tour, which was informative and fun. The little guy had a blast petting the stingrays. You could walk to the Stingray Beach from the resort in about 15 minutes, which was an added perk. It was fairly short too, which is nice if you have kids with short attention spans.

Downtown - We also walked to downtown one morning. It was neat to check out, but very touristy. There are lots of shops if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Playacar Palace - We also took the ferry (which is in walking distance as well) over to Playa del Carmen for a day to visit Playacar Palace. Being able to visit other Palace resorts is an awesome perk and we enjoyed the change of scenery. We did some wicked body surfing in the ocean and received tremendous service from Leonardo by the pool. We had pizza and nachos for lunch, which hit the spot. (I’m usually a very healthy eater, but I couldn’t help, but splurge while at Palace!) Leonardo also introduced my husband to blue margaritas and he enjoyed them for the rest of the week.

Jeep Rental - On our last day, we rented a Jeep at the resort for $99 and drove around the island. It only takes about an hour to get around it if you don’t stop. We stopped at Punta Sur Eco Park and checked out the navigation museum, the lighthouse and the beach. A storm was approaching, so the water was a little too rough to snorkel, but I hear it’s a great spot for it. Please be aware when getting gas, the attendants will try to block the pump so you can’t see how much you actually pumped and then they will overcharge you. Five dollars worth of gas actually cost us around $30. Lesson learned for next time. Other than this little hiccup, we really enjoyed getting out and experiencing the more remote parts of Cozumel. The coast is truly stunning and makes you feel like you are in a whole other world.

Entertainment
There were lots of activities all day long, which was great for our 9-year-old. They had snorkeling lessons, water aerobics, volleyball, cooking classes and lots more. I wish we had time to do them all! Daniel was such a delight; my stepson just adored him. Daniel even gave him a big hug before we left. Josue was great too. He played with our 2-year-old quite a bit.
There weren’t a ton of kids, but my stepson actually met two boys his own age that he played with the rest of the week, so that was perfect. We even saw them on our day trip to Playacar Palace. We didn’t see much of the evening entertainment because of the kids but it looked like people were having fun.

Departure
Scheduling our transportation back to the airport was a little annoying because the Amstar rep wasn’t there on time and they really try to push their tours. Once we got everything settled, there were no issues. Check out was breeze and the nice lady at reception offered my stepson pens and paper to take home as souvenirs.

Conclusion
In sum, if you want to truly feel special on vacation while not breaking the bank, Cozumel Palace is the place to visit. They provide a level of service that is unparalleled virtually anywhere. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jar26649
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Cozumel Palace was recommended to us by some friends who frequent the resort every year for our Honeymoon. It was everything they told us and more! Our Junior Suite on the 5th floor was very spacious: it had a small sitting area indoors, a balcony with hammock, a jacuzzi, queen size bed, and a very comfortable bathroom. Room service was always very prompt when we ordered it, the turn down staff was always very friendly, the cleaning service made towel animals on our bed, and any special requests were just a phone call away. I also had my birthday while we were there, and the staff left a small birthday cake on our sitting area table. Great touch!

The food was very good for a resort, as we've been to Cancun, Ixtapa, and Puerta Vallarta and found Cozumel to have the best of the four. It was a pretty good variety for breakfast, though you'll probably want to head into town a few times for lunch/dinner if on an extended stay. The pool had a pool bar, which is a must have on vacation. And the wait staff was readily available for drinks, food, sharing stories, and welcoming us each day.

Besides the amenities, the hotel staff was absolutely first class! I can see why people would return to Cozumel Palace, as they made us feel welcome in whichever way the day took us. Below are a specific few who made our Honeymoon MUY EXCELENTE!

Manuel was our waiter for most dinners. He always had a table ready for us and was smiles during the whole dinner. Not only did he recommend good dishes to try, but he shared stories, jokes, and made every night relaxing and fun.
Alejandro was also our waiter a few times, and he was very fun and friendly as well. It's hard to deal with all sorts of people day in and day out, but he managed it with grace and ease.
Daniel (Hernan) was a lot of fun during the morning/night activities. He was friendly, attentive, sarcastic in a good way, and made the resort activities somethings that we looked forward to each day.
Gabriel, Joshue, and Suje were other activity coordinators who were fantastic in all their endeavors. They always made us feel at ease, encouraged us to do a variety of activities we otherwise wouldn't get a chance to do, and stopped to talk despite whether they were in a rush.
Roger was a waiter who we had by the pool many times, and he was absolutely fantastic. He was attentive to whether we needed a drink refill, a food order, or just to stop and chat.
Ricardo was the main hotel rep who we dealt with and wouldn't go to anyone else. He gave us a self-tour of Chakanaab while everyone else went off on their own, and we got to see the national park, tequila town, and friendly locals. He didn't have to go out of his way like that, be we appreciated it very much and had a great time on the excursion.

Overall, we would HIGHLY recommend this resort not just for its amenities but for the staff who will make you feel right at home. We can definitely see ourselves coming back to see everyone again and having a great time with those who made our Honeymoon very special. Muchas gracias amigos!

Room Tip: Junior Suite was very spacious, accommodating, and quiet. 5th floor is more isolated than the rest.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SpryTastik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was our first vacation at an all inclusive and it was awesome. The staff, the hotel, the food, the pools, etc could not have been better! We took several excursions with our credits and had a blast.
One thing, the on sight restaurants weren't all that great, but the poolside buffets and the breakfast and lunch buffets were really really good.
The young kids that put on the nightly shows were also the kids that worked poolside during the day, and their energy was off the charts. By the second or third day the poolside staff not only remembered our drinks, but suggested other ones that we might like. A sign that we drank too much? Who cares, we were on vacation!
The hotel is also easy walking to town and all the shops.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Monaw51
los angeles area, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just returned from Cozumel Palace after 5 nights there. Was too short. First of all, it was best all-inclusive resort I ever stayed ( not in quality of installations but in services ). All hotel personnel are very friendly and very helpful. Hotel has 1,500 dollar credits to spend there ( 5 nights stay ). I used it for scuba diving, room upgrade and SPA massage for my wife. I spent so little there in Cozumel! Food is good but not excellent. We went to main land and had some tours by renting a car in Playa Del Carmen and visiting Coba and Cancun. As Palace Resorts you can use other Palaces facilities, We had breakfast at Playacar Palace and lunch at Beach Palace in Cancun. Excellent resorts and as friendly and welcoming as Cozumel Palace.

Room Tip: Has high value if still has resort credits.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We got this resort at a terrific price online through a member. If you want my contact for this, just message me. Others have commented on the excellent service and they are correct. This staff does whatever necessary to accomodate you and your needs. The credits are as advertised and although you have to pay the 11% tax, still a wonderful deal. This is a small resort, it does not have a beach so why anyone would complain about this after their visit, I'm not sure as that is clear beforehand. The snorkeling directly from the resort is just terrific. We went snorkeling every day, sometimes several times per day and we saw no less than 30 types of fish all around the area. Ladies, there are excellent hair products, hair dryer AND a flat iron available in the rooms. The other great feature of this resort is the location. You are only 10 minutes from the airport and it is walking distance to town. On Sundays do not miss the local night in the plaza with authentic local food and music. In addition, the government plaza across the street has different local events such as fairs and we were lucky enough to witness a Lucha Libre exhibition. What a treat! Many mention Money Bar as a place to go. IMHO, it is an overpriced bar/restaurant you can see on any beach in Florida. The real Cozumel experience is to had at Mezcalitos, Coconuts, etc. We rented our car from ISIS as advised by other Tripadvisor reviewers. The owner is terrific and she really runs a professional business. It is located about two blocks north from the plaza. The Cozumel Palace is small in size, but big in customer satisfaction. We've stayed at two other all inclusive resorts in Cozumel and highly recommend the Cozumel Palace as a solid resort choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maybeglobal
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We went here for a wedding, it was average at best in all categories, the food was ok, there was no beach the drinks were watered down but the pool and our room were nice.

We enjoyed Cozumel more when we rented a jeep and left the property but to be honest we didn't really enjoy Cozumel it was a little too touristy and not so much our speed.

I think the hotel looked better than the others around it but that's not really saying a lot.

Would not return would not recommend unless you just want to drink tequila by a pool all day and then it is certainly adequate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple