“Intimate, great food, convenient location”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Covington, Washington
“Intimate, great food, convenient location”
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the larger resorts within the Palace chain in years prior thinking that more restaurants, etc would be better. My husband's parents convinced us to try the smaller Cozumel Palace for it's close proximity to the airport and scuba diving and I'm so glad they did! The food was the best we've had at any of their resorts, especially in the Italian restaurant, but even the breakfast buffet and poolside grill tasted better than previous years. We were close to the airport, which is smaller, so lines aren't as bad as Cancun. And we saw the most sea life on our dives than we have previously, which was amazing since this is our favorite activity. After a hellish trip due to weather delays in Dallas, we arrived to a staff who already knew my inlaws (who arrived several days earlier) and were so welcoming in the lobby, restaurants and poolside because you get to know each other quickly in the smaller resort. We liked not having to hike a mile from our room to anything else at the resort, too. This was our first trip with our toddler, so it was great to have the staff be so sweet and accommodating. They provided a pack n play for him to sleep in, juice boxes in our fridge, and a high chair at the restaurants. There was a play structure with swings and slide at the "far" end of the property with a grassy area, small pool, and sand to play in. Adjacent to the regular pool was a 2'3" shallow section separated from the main pool by a small bridge. He's not old enough for the kids club, but we had family there to take turns so we could go divibg or to the spa. My favorite new adult night entertainment was a live band in the bar one night.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We just got back from a quick 4 day/3 night trip. This place was so worth it. We got a fantastic deal from a special offer here on TripAdvisor! The reviews are correct, the service here is above and beyond. We are a young couple so the crowd drinking and noise never bothered us. In fact, I have never slept better. We would leave our sliding door open to hear the ocean for naps and weren't bothered one bit. We were right above the pool too. If you are looking for something luxurious and quiet then look somewhere else. If you are looking for a fun getaway with great food and service then this is your place! It's an older building but it's kept in great shape. The credit isn't a rip off. We used it for wine every night and a romantic dinner on the beach. Never had a problem. We rented a car from the hotel for $99 and drove around the island. I highly recommend this.

Room Tip: ask for a junior suite with an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie V
Geneva, Nebraska
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Fantastic Hotel, you can see why it was 22nd in the world for all-inclusive ! Special people include Ramon the photographer, Heri (Eddy) the waiter, Silvia and Camila the waitresses . The food here is really good, and the sushi is great. I wouldn't suggest the dive shop though. Overpacked dives, hour and forty five minute ride to the dive sites . The place is cool, the hotel dollars and dive shop are not. Cya on the bottom

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jstbill
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've been away from the Cozumel Palace for two days, and the withdrawal is crushing. This was my third visit to the Cozumel Palace - this time to celebrate my father's 70th birthday with a family party of six adults. As usual, the Palace staff did not disappoint and we all had a wonderful time. You have the option to participate in organized activities (water aerobics, pool volleyball, salsa dance lessons, bartending lessons, etc.)..... or just quietly relax with a trashy novel overlooking the beautiful azure sea.

First the cons - because the list is short: 1) No decent bourbon. Nevermind the super duper top shelf - they didn't even have Maker's Mark. I got tired of the sweet rum drinks after a while, and I would have appreciated a smooth bourbon on the rocks in the evening. Not an option. 2) Chef's dinner (which we paid for with points) was less than thrilling. Fixed menu that was a bit too eclectic and communal seating were not what we envisioned. Perhaps the grandeur was thrown off because it had been moved inside due to rain? But the food was over-the-top rich for the most part. App and dessert were great - everything in between was just so-so. I'd investigate further before "spending" points on this dinner next time.

OK - now the good stuff: 1) Poolside waiter Heri is the best! ** Heri!! Heri!! Heri!! ** He was fantastic - anticipating our every needs with a smile and a joke. He went out of his way to make sure we were happy - fulfilling special poolside food requests, wrangling umbrellas, keeping up with a significant volume of poolside beverage, and then telling us when pizza oven was fired up in the late afternoon!
2) breakfast and lunch buffets are terrific. good mix of salad fixings, grill items, and meat/potato entrees (both American and Mexican varieties). [An insider tip - you can ask the hostess for a to-go box, load up from the buffet, then go back outside to your lounge chair if you can't tear yourself away from the sunny pool deck for a "sit down" lunch.] Oh, and then the homemade ice cream!!! Delicioso!! A special hello to Wilma, the hostess who greated me at door every day with a laugh.

3) Hugo was a great help to book our spa appointments and dolphin swim. No pressure. We told him what we wanted to do, and he made it happen. [Another insider tip - use your "points" to upgrade the wine with dinner. Yes, the "prices" are inflated, but you are only really paying 11% tax, so stop complaining that the decent bottle really cost you $6 or 7. House wine - not so great, so they extra $6 is worth it.]

4) Finally, a big thank you to the activities staff who make their difficult jobs look easy. Roger, Daniel, Gabriel, Suehe (sp?) and Manuela have jokes, dances, and competitive spirits to make the days fly by -whether you want to participate in the games or just watch the madness from the sidelines (didn't hurt that I won a bottle of tequila on the first day playing trivia!). I know that I could *not* be so genuinely friendly to strangers for twelve+ hours a day, day after day after day. They work long hours just to make our vacation fun. We appreciated it!!

All in all, a wonderful trip. Can't wait to go back. And "Hey, Heri.... I am waiting for that Shark Bite to be delivered to my office....."

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GatorJessica
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I too would like to echo the VAST majority of positive comments about the Palace! This was our 3rd visit to Coz, our first to the Palace. Service was off the charts, and the food was as good or better than any of the AI's we've been to. Those servers are constantly busy doing something, to ensure that their guests never want for ANYTHING! They are to be commended! Always with a smile, they occasionally sit and chat to make sure that everyone's needs are being met. In regards to the solo cups being used, what would one expect around a pool area? I brought a large insulated cup, used it once, and never felt the need again, they were right there to get another drink when we hit the half empty mark. At the interior bar areas, GLASSES were used, cant ask for much more than that!

The food was excellent, perhaps the best we've experienced at an AI, which is our preferred type of resort, when we travel. We've been to no fewer than 10 AI's around the Caribbean, I feel I'm qualified to compare. If I had to single one restaurant out, it would be the Italian, although they were all excellent! Ask for the Bananas Foster, prepared right at your table. All the restaurants will make it for you, although its a "specialty" at the Italian. The restaurant waiters provided some of the best service ever, and they all speak English, as was the case with all the servers, hostesses, etc. We ordered room service only once, it was prompt and exactly as ordered, delivered with the same smile as everywhere else. We were so stuffed from the all day delicious food, that we pretty much forgot about ordering room service again. Yes, we gained several pounds during our week's stay, Im proud to say! There is also a dinner buffet, for those who dont wish to dine in the restaurants. Lots of selection here, and fine quality food, as well.

Used resort credits, and this was a real plus. Wife used them in the spa, she reports that its first class! She got a 150 minute treatment, massage, facial, body scrub, and who knows what else, for the tax price of $25, along with a couple other massages. THE BEST treatments she has ever received, the spa is NOT TO BE MISSED! I challenge anyone to beat that price! Did the snorkeling trip, it was just OK, and the chef's dinner, it was very nice. Spoke to the Head Chef, an Italian fella, he was very interesting to talk with and expressed a genuine concern about the food service quality. Cant comment on the onsite scuba op, I use a different outfit. Price, using credits, is certainly right, but the boats were VERY crowded, watched then coming and going.

I timed the walk to town. It was exactly 15 leisurely minutes to the center of the Square. It was also a $5 cab ride, we did that one evening after Sunday night's festivities, there. The local folks all assemble for some fabulous music and lots of dancing on Sunday evening. Make sure and include this in your things to do! Lovely folks, lots of smiles, just a real welcoming atmosphere. Felt VERY comfortable in their midst!

We had a Jr Suite room, pretty much the standard upgrade. It was very nicely appointed, the wife really enjoyed the top-end bath products. One of the most comfortable king size beds we've slept in. Free phone calls to the U.S., nice touch! Oversized Jacuzzi in the room, another nice touch!

In closing, dont let the one occasional negative review on the Palace sway your opinion. For every one of those, there are one HUNDRED positive ones. Most times, a person has one negative experience(in their mind), and they allow this to ruin their whole vacation, to the point as to try and dissuade folks from going there. Read a bunch of reviews, notice the hotel's rating, and make up your own mind. The Palace ranks #4 in hotels, but it is #1 in All-Inclusives. There's a reason for that, yes? You wont regret staying at the Palace, Im confident of that!

When visiting Coz, our only choice will be the Palace! Wouldnt even consider anywhere else! EXCELLENCE is practiced here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank duffer48
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Let me just preface this review with the fact that I have traveled a lot in the world and have stayed at some serious dumps and I have a high threshold for terrible surroundings. At least they were advertised as dumps. When spending this kind of dough, my expectations are raised which is why this review may not appeal to many of you. But here we go:

Let me start by saying that it was never my choice to stay here. I was forced into staying here because I was a bridesmaid in a wedding here-- it was either stay here at $300 a night (for the cheapest city view rooms) or pay $75 for a bracelet just to attend my friend's wedding. This, while terrible on its own, is not why I dislike this place so much.

No beach. Lots of rocks to snorkel on, but no beach. The food is truly foul and the drinks are equivalent to freshman frat parties -- cheap alcohol served in solo cups. Room service is slow --which wouldn't be bad if the food was any good. It isn't, so don't bother. Resort credits are such a scam, but plenty of posters have already mentioned this. Sleeping in the cheap rooms is really hard because the hallways are so noisy. I don't know if there is a cure for this except getting a big suite where the bedrooms are tucked away from the exterior hallways.

The service was fine -- just don't expect English to be widely spoken. As I said, I came here for a wedding and the makeup and hair person didn't speak any English to the English-only bride. Needless to say, this didn't go so well. If you are considering having your wedding here, consider having your hair and makeup done elsewhere. Also, if you are getting married here, just know that hundreds of gawking swimsuit-clad burnt Americans will be peering down at you from their hotel room balconies onto the "terrace" where you are getting married. For most brides, this would be too much to bear and understandably so. It also rained on the wedding, something that I heard happens frequently here because the wedding planner simply doesn't explain the Caribbean rainy season to brides (it rains almost every evening in the rainy season, so have your wedding in the morning/early afternoon!).

Basically you should go here if you want to be surrounded by a bunch of the worst kinds of Americans who are so afraid to actually experience another country for what it is and would prefer to be surrounded by like-minded Americans, that they are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for fake luxury.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank ThriftyThrill
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 December 2013

parasailing is an excellent way to see it coast of Mexico Cozumel and the ocean you're a hundred and fifty feet in the air or higher is fun and exciting not scary I would do it over and over again swimming with the dolphins is an excellent way to spend an afternoon

• Stayed October 2013