“Family Vacation”

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, Illinois
“Family Vacation”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Spent a week here with my husband and our three year old son, we had a blast!!! The beach in front of the resort is unlike any other. Beautiful crystal clear turquoise waters, coral, and an abundance of fish! We stayed on the eighth floor in room 1814, it was very clean, comfortable, and amazing balcony views! The pillows were not great, I would recommend bringing one. The staff is very hardworking, friendly, and kind. They made our stay extra special. A little respect and tipping goes a long way here. The food and drinks were good. Breakfast omelet station is the best!!! We are already planning a return trip in fall. Loved El Coz and can't wait to get back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for better ocean views!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
Mount Ida, Ar
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was our first experience at an AI and we were extremely pleased! We visit Cozumel twice a year and love the island. I had actually stayed at El Cozumeleno back in 1982 - what a change! The ocean was still as beautiful, the sand clean and beckoning and the view just as beautiful as I remembered, but El Cozumeleno is all grown up now. At the airport, we always walk to the roundabout with our luggage and grab a cab there when we don't rent a car. It's so much faster and cheaper than waiting on a van full of people! We arrived at the hotel and thought the entrance and the grounds were beautiful and the staff were gracious and welcoming. A fruity rum drink was offered at check in, which I really enjoyed after travelling since 4 am. I am a resort manager, so I truly appreciate a professional, efficient and welcoming check in. I thought the staff did a top notch job in both getting all of the info they needed to deliver to us quickly and they explained everything that needed to be covered in great detail without taking up too much time. We loved the keys on the long strings! The clerk quickly assured us, when we asked, that we were in the newer wing on the 5th floor.
Walking behind the bellman with our bags, our excitement mounted. The areas we passed through were all immaculate and lovely and our room on the 5th floor turned out to be as airy corner room with a view of the jungle to the east at the door and a stunning view of the ocean to the west (great for spectacular sunsets!). The room itself was spotless, fresh and comfortable. We immediately settled in and relaxed on the private balcony from which we could look down on almost the whole resort – a beautiful bright tableau of colors, activity and water.
A quick walk to the beach and we found the perfect palapa, which we returned to every day. Some of the reviews had suggested that you needed to be down at the shore by 5 or 6 am each to claim your palapa, which we did not find to be the case while we were there, but after the first morning when I strolled down at 5:30 to claim ours, I was hooked on my early morning walk. I loved the quiet hush of the newly awakened resort each morning, the staff all out cleaning everything soundlessly and putting everything out for a new day. I loved just sitting under the palapa and watching the shore birds before leaving our towels behind as a notice that we would be returning.
We were initially very suspicious about the buffets. We have always stayed in condos and cooked our own food, which we enjoy immensely, and frankly, we had low expectations about the food, mostly based on articles and other reviews. We couldn’t have been more wrong. We enjoyed the buffets every day! The staff works so hard to prepare the food and it is very apparent that a lot of pride in their work goes into the preparation and presentation of each buffet. We always found wonderful surprises to enjoy but tended to stay away from things that might be questionable given our American palettes.
We dined at La Veranda twice and both experiences were memorable. We loved the atmosphere, the attentive staff, the piano music – he played Rachmaninoff and Beethoven for our special requests – and, especially the beautifully presented and well prepared food. Tom’s steak was one of the best he had ever experienced and the freshly baked breads and fresh salads were delightful.
The last night of our stay, the resort went all out with their Mexican Fiesta! The food was amazing and easily the best of all the nights. The decorations and the music had everyone in a festive, party mode – unfortunately, the rain poured down and after all of their hard work, they were forced to move everything inside. We were so sad for the staff who worked so hard for us! Fortunately we had made reservations to eat at La Veranda that evening because I had forgotten to check on the activity board and didn’t realize the Fiesta was that evening.
We snorkeled right off the beach and loved the bright variety of sea life. We have snorkeled all over the island and while we didn’t find this particular beach to be as beautiful as the reefs we are most familiar with, we had never seen as many fish or as many varieties. We walked the lovely beaches and enjoyed all of the pools. If you want a quiet place, you can find it and if you want to mingle and people watch the pool by the bar is sparkling clean and so much fun!
We had several concerns, mostly garnered from reading reviews on TripAdvisor, and while everyone’s experience and level of expectation is different, I would like to address some of these:
The buffets- As I stated, we found the buffets to be full of fresh, beautifully prepared items. We initially made the rookie mistake of just plain eating too much! There were just so many things to choose from. By the last day, I was down to having half a plain pancake for breakfast. It’s easy to overload when there is such an array of choices. We did see birds but the staff, we thought, did a very good job of shooing them off and we never saw them in or over the food, so we thought they were charming. The white wine, a Spanish wine, was a little sweet for me, but still quite nice on a hot day! We didn’t like the mayonnaise, the yogurt or the seafood salad, but we saw a lot of people enjoying these items. We loved sitting by the beach each morning enjoying our breakfast and hot coffee and catching up on the news on our IPads.
The WiFi – I didn’t bring my laptop after reading the reviews stating that the wireless was so poor but I should have. I like to keep up with my work emails when I travel. We had excellent service in our room (fifth floor, south tower, on the end), in all of the restaurants, on the beach under our palapa and around the pools. We were able to access it on our IPads, our Kindles and our IPhones. The night of the big rain, we did lose service temporarily, but when I reported it to the front desk, they had someone reset it right away.
Hard to get palapas and pool chairs – we never had any trouble but it was the middle of May and could have been one of their slower times. My back was hurting (from dragging all my luggage all over airports) and I, personally, wasn’t comfortable on the chaises on the beach. Lourdes let me borrow a comfy chair from the patio area, which gave me much better support. Loved our beach time!
Musty, outdated rooms with old TV’s – we loved our bright, clean, comfortable room and the TV was quite adequate for the two hours we watched it – after all, we were on a beach vacation in a tropical country! The shower and bath facilities were great and our maids were very attentive.
Safety – we left our beach bags unattended with the aforementioned tables, phones and more while we splashed in the pools, snorkeled and walked the beaches. We did close the beach bag and had towels and things stuffed on top, but we felt completely safe and felt our personal belongings were safe every single minute. The resort had a security officer in the palapa area throughout the day.
Watered down drinks – well…..we actually brought along packets of Crystal Light because we don’t like to drink alcohol through the day. I did have a margarita one afternoon – very nice! – and Tom enjoyed his bourbon and water – and he likes it pretty strong. If you want anything, they will try very hard to get it for you. If you want to get drunk on the beach, I am sure that could be accomplished! We took our 16 oz Tervis Tumblers and they kept us happy with ice and water.
We had such a wonderful experience! We were comparing notes with other travelers about some of the things that they had read in reviews that they did not feel were warranted and we laughed together that perhaps we were just not discerning enough or perhaps not distinguished or experienced in our travels enough to be disappointed. We found in El Cozumeleno a warm welcome, a property managed with care and pride and a quality that exceeded our expectations. Thank you for a wonderful experience! We are planning to return twice next year!

Room Tip: We loved the end room on the 5th floor on the South side! Our bed had an eggshell mattress topper a...
13 Thank sparesort
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The resort was very nice! I had my reservations, as I purchased my stay through Living Social and there were mixed reviews. I am very--VERY--picky about cleanliness and service, and this place really exceeded my expectations! It was only an $8 taxi ride from the ferry terminal/downtown tourist area. This wasn't bad, as many of the resorts here are located all around the island and a much further (and expensive) ride. It's close enough to downtown to rent a scooter (we did) to get around Cozumel. We arrived before check-in, but we were immediately given service and access to the entire resort (food, pools, etc.) until our room was ready. The room was spotless and very spacious, and much less hokey then may perceived from photos. The bed was so comfortable, bathroom was very clean and the shower was huge. I also appreciated the line placed in the shower to hang wet swimsuits. There was also a cover for the couch for germophobes like me :-). AND THE VIEW! IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL! We had an oceanfront room over the larger pool, and watched the sunset in the evening. The balconies were private, so I didn't feel exposed lounging out there in my pjs. The pools were beautiful, however, the hot tubs could have been warmer (this may be cultural, the other hot tubs I experienced in Mexico were lukewarm, too). The onsite beach was pretty, but the ocean floor was more rocky then sandy. However, there was plenty of sand for lounging and the water was wonderful. The food in the general eating area was decent, but not exceptional. The seafood wasn't great, but I liked most everything else. There was certainly something for everyone, and there was food available all day. In my opinion, breakfast was the best meal there, as there was amazing chorizo for the omelettes! Definitely be sure to eat at the on-sight reservation-only restaurant. The food was really wonderful, all around (had I known, I'd have eaten there every night). The frozen drinks were best, but don't expect "traditional" vacation drinks like mojitos or margaritas--the quality of the liquor was just okay. We didn't book an excursions through the resort, but were close enough to downtown to "shop around" there. Overall, our visit was far better than we expected based on reviews. We are in our mid-twenties, and were among the youngest people there other than few children, and we had no issues w/ noise.

Room Tip: Stay on the side above the big pool! There is music during mid-day on that side, so sleeping in may...
3 Thank Valecia W
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Loved the resort and the people! The workers were so friendly and treat you like family! Everywhere you looked you seen someone cleaning... The staff joined in on the activities you played, pool, ping pong, volleyball, dancing at beach party! Overall great place... Will be back next year

• Stayed May 2014
Sherwood, Arkansas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

El Cozumeleno has great beach front with amazing pools with swim up bars. You can snorkel right in front of the property and see multiple fish species. We have been multiple times and the staff is consistently friendly and helpful. We have gone deep-sea fishing on more than one occasion with local fishermen who picked us up right at the peer and the restaurant staff prepared our catch which turned out amazing. Our room was very clean and very cool and comfortable. Everyone is shocked when we tell them how inexpensive it is to stay there compared to other locations. This was the first year after visiting Cozumel 7 times that I had my first encounter with mosquitoes on the island. Bring bug repellent and plenty of sunscreen so you can enjoy the outdoors.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 08, 09, 10 and 11 are close to elevator where you will encounter more noise from gue...
1 Thank Brandy O
Watkins Glen, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort in April 2013. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Sylvia. (if you are reading this Sylvia, my apologies for my delinquency) Our room was old, but very clean and the resort itself was over-all very clean. As others have indicated, we could snorkel in front of the resort and the water was clear; however, we walked about 1/2 mile past a property that was in disrepair and started snorkeling from there to the El Coz. We saw many different types of beautiful fish. (The property was for sale at the time and was primo, as it is now a year later, one may not be able to walk through the area that I am referring to.) Breakfast at the buffet was my favorite meal because we were able to choose the ingredients we wanted added to our Egg Omelets. My husband liked lunch the best because he ordered fresh Nachos. As it is with most resorts, we had to reserve our chairs very early in the morning, especially if one wanted a Palapa on the beach. This resort is a family friendly resort. Comparing the two types of resorts, my husband and I prefer couple only resorts because we find that many times the children take over the pools and hot tubs, but due to my job, we are forced to vacation when families have breaks from school. My only complaint is that there never was enough available coffee in the AM. It was our 1st time in Cozumel and we would definitely go back, but would probably try another resort, although we absolutely loved the location!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freetoski
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 May 2014

First, the staff was great from housekeeping to the hostess at the open air restaurant and everywhere in between. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed great snorkeling off the beach, especially when we walked up the coast to the next hotel and floated back to ours. We saw eels, rays, squid, crab, barracuda and many beautiful fish.

The dive shop on property was also very helpful and knowledgeable. Two of us tried the free scuba lesson which was great, and proceeded on to our first dive where we saw a shark and got our picture taken with it. We also signed up for a snorkel trip and had a great time, saw turtles which was our goal. For some unknown reason we stopped for a "break" on a beach in the middle of our snorkeling but otherwise had a great time and the dive team was awesome - even after getting barfed on. There were some big waves.

We also signed up for "speed snorkeling" and a tour of the Pearl Farm - they picked us up from the dock and we sped away for wild and crazy afternoon. We got to see the beautiful, undeveloped part of Cozumel, stopped for a snack and down time at the Pearl Farm, saw their underwater farming projects and got pulled around behind the boat to various coral knobs. Beautiful purple fans!

Only downside to our El Cozumeleno visit was the food which some of our group didn't care for at all, but my expectations were not high and I found plenty to enjoy. A great trip overall.

Room Tip: We would have preferred to be in the older 'quiet' side. We were overlooking the pool and i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family