“Second time at El Coz.”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Nice place. Been there twice now and enjoyed myself both times. Service is excellent, all of the bartenders, maids, waiters and absolutely everyone else are just great. (Octavio the waiter is a favorite). The only exception to this is the host at the 'fine dining' restaurant. What a jerk! He acts like you, (the paying customer), should be honored that you are being allowed to speak to him or that he is gracing you with his company. No greeting, no smile, no connection to the guest at all - he just phones it in and acts like he would rather be anywhere else but there. I always give someone a second chance just in case maybe the first time they might have just been having a bad day or whatever but this guy has been the same every single time I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with him, (many), or watched him converse with others. Give this guy a broom and put him to work sweeping the parking lot or better yet, a scrub brush and put him in charge of the toilets.

Breakfast is always good in either the buffet or inside in the fine dinning, (where there is a smaller buffet or you can order off of the menu), venue. I personally like the omelets that the gal makes in the open air buffet area. I always find something interesting on the buffet line then bring it to the omelet lady and have her make me a custom creation - which she always does with a smile no matter how busy she has been. (Drop her a few bucks tip if you go this route as it's kind of a hassle for her sometimes). Lunch is ok - your standard all inclusive stuff on the buffet or go outside by the pool where there are burgers, dogs, fries, salads, etc. and excellent home made onion rings. Dinner buffet, (like lunch), is ok but I always hit town for dinner with the exception of maybe one or two dinners at the 'fine dinning' venue at the hotel depending on the menu which changes every two days.

A great restaurant that is just down the street towards town, (a very easy walk), is The Lobster House. Please let me be more specific - The ORIGINAL Lobster House. There will be some confusion here that I will clear up for you in a moment - The ORIGINAL Lobster House, (that has been there for many years), is the one that is the furthest from the hotel and closest to town. If you are handed a menu, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY as YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE! Step out the door, go left, take several steps and you will see a statue of a seated Fidel Castro, go left into the gateway entrance, over a rickety foot bridge, (think Indiana Jones), and you will see Jimmy, (the Captain), smiling and greeting you - you are now in the ORIGINAL Lobster House. Some clarification is needed here. The ORIGINAL Lobster House has been there for many years, it is run by Fernando and his son, Fernando JR.. As I understand it, years ago Fernando's brother opened another restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR and called it The Lobster House. This brother copied the logo, signage, dessert, (Key Lime Pie), and opened his doors. This "phoney" Lobster House serves other items besides lobster and has a menu like a traditional restaurant. The ORIGINAL Lobster House ONLY SERVES LOBSTER, PERIOD. There is no menu. You walk in and you are shown a large container of fresh lobster tails on ice. You then select the tail(s) that you like and they are then weighed in front of you, you are quoted a price and you pay by the weight of the tail(s). Once prepared, (perfectly), they add to the plate a nice portion of steamed vegetables, (incredible), and the absolute best rice I have ever consumed all included in the price that you were quoted for the weight of the lobster. They have a nice little bar that serves huge cocktails and ice cold beer. The wine selection is limited but trust me you are not going to care. After dinner you are served a nice taste of a chilled banana concoction that is wonderful. Save room for dessert - home made key lime pie made by the owner's sister that is to die for. Occasionally they offer bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer as well as conch chowder, (awesome), if they can get fresh conch but that's it. This place is a MUST DO for anyone that likes lobster and is probably the best lobster on the island. Just make sure that you go to the correct place or you will be disappointed. If you are, send me the bill. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Newer tower, high enough to get a nice ocean view. Corner rooms at the end of the tier have larger...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank phillaycheo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,819)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This resort/hotel exceeded our expectations! The service here is just absolutely amazing. We never once had a problem with any type of service. The resort itself is incredibly clean, inside and out. The employees are incredibly nice and helpful and didn't make us feel like we were putting them out. Sure, the rooms could use a little updating, but overall it was clean. The food I would consider average, but we didn't go for the food, so I had no problem with that. Beautiful, clean beach with beautiful water. We will be staying here again, no questions. We met some great couples/families while we were visiting and they were also enjoying their stay. We met several people who had been to the resort before, with one family on their fifth visit! That certainly says something about the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 987jesseb
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I took my daughter to Cozumel for a post high school graduation trip and her 18th birthday. My husband wasn't going with us, so since it was going to be just the two of us, I wanted to make sure we were somewhere safe. I picked this resort because of it's location to the airport and town. The day we were supposed to leave, the airlines had to change the day of our departure to the following day, which meant we were going to be checking into the resort a day later than our reservations and checking out a day later. Still staying the same amount of nights! I called the resort before we left home to notify them of the changes, and was told all was okay. The day we checked in, the front desk changed our reservations to the days that we were going to be there. Again, was told everything was going to be okay and was not told that we would have to pay any additional charges. On our last night there at 11:40pm!! our phone rang in our room, I answered it to hear some man at the front desk tell me that we had to pay for an additional night. I tried to explain the situation to him, and he told me that I need to come THEN to pay. I told him we were sleeping and I wasn't going to leave my daughter in the room that late at night. I told him that I would take care of it in the morning, and hung up the phone. At MIDNIGHT!!!! We hear pounding at our door, scared to death, I went and looked through the peep hole, I saw that it was two men dressed in the resorts clothing, I answered the door, and he was ordering me to come to the front desk. Again, I told him we were sleeping and I didn't want to leave my daughter alone in the room. He refused to listen to me, and told me I HAD to go now!! My daughter and I got dressed to go to the front desk, I showed him on my contract that the dates were changed to our stay there. After trying to reason with him, and realizing that I was not going to get anywhere, and being afraid that I was in Mexico, I had to pay another $290!!! We had already paid for the number of nights that we were there, and then I had to pay for an additional night that we weren't. I was helpless and scared!! I will never EVER stay at this resort again, customer service is NOT waking up your guest at MIDNIGHT, having them come to the front desk, and making them pay for a night that they weren't there for! I can't tell you how scared I was going back to my room that night. And...feeling trapped, because it was too late in the night to leave and go to another hotel. So much for feeling safe in this resort!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Beverly D
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Great experience! Definitely plan on going back to Cozumel using same resort. Room-can't beat the view with ocean view. Staff-so friendly always. Very clean resort. Downside is no air conditioner in main lobby or in restaurant La Veranda which can get very hot during the day.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The resort was nice and very clean. The food was average at best, service was good. Seemed to have trouble getting proper amount of towels and washcloths. Room was nice, but ceiling fans would be a great addition. Excellent snorkeling, and free scuba lesson in the pool was awesome for my girlfriend. The resort discouraged scooter rental, but we rented one anyway with no problems and took a tour around the island, which I highly recommend! The other side of the island is beautiful. The resort goes to bed early, not much night life. We both had one day with stomach issues, as it seems most of the people we talked to did as well. All in all, we would stay there again. Was a nice vacation on a budget and worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The only problem I have is that the dress code in the restaurant is not enforced. Women are expected to wear dresses but I saw men wearing t-shirts and baseball hats! Its not right! If you have a dress code keep to it! No exceptions. Not to mention the restauraunt by the pools which clearly states that you have to be covered. I saw children and adults not covered. How disrespectful to other guests! Cover UP! Overall the staff work very hard and are extremeley friendly and polite. We love staying at the Coz!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank tucker325
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just like everything in life you have the good and bad. This 2 rating could easily be a 4 or even a 5 start rating for others and I hope my review will show why.

The beach. 4/5
This could easily be a 1 or 2 for a lot of folks because the beach is extremely rocky. DO NOT go in without water shoes as you can easily cut your foot. So why did I like it so much, because I love snorkeling and fish like rocks. One of the best things this resort offered was snorkeling and I easily saw 30 different types of fish.

The Key 1/5
I was not a fan of having a real key. I never felt my stuff was secured because anyone could have made a copy of that bad boy.We (My family) had no issues but I would not be surprised if someone did.

The Food 2/5
I was not a fan of the food served at this resort. It was served buffet style and felt very campish. Having a coke fountain is nice. 50% of Breakfast were left overs from the night prior. I would recommend ordering from the menus they leave out on the tables.

The liquor 4/5
The bartenders were good they used a Jigger (1 ounce) to pour drinks which I really liked because it kept the drinks tasting the same. I was not a fan that you were not allowed to have a shot. I have no clue why this was but I am sure there is a reason. Bartenders were good about allowing 1 person get several drinks for a group.

The Room 2/5
This hotel is well maintained and well cleaned they do a great job of maintaining items. In fact they do too good a job at it. This furniture was IMO bought in the 90's. All the rooms are dated and bare-bones. Make sure to get the side with the 4 digit room numbers as the ac on the other side did not work as well. Shower heads were crusty and beds hard. The pull out couch is about as bad as they come. I saw an ice bucket but no ice machine to fill it.

Staff 5/5
I had no issues with the staff. They were willing to do anything to make our stay better. I could only imagine if they were given better tools how highly rated this hotel wold be.

In closing I think this hotel and its rating will really depend on how much you spend per person. You would be out of your mind spending $200 per person (I spent $100 per person per night) on this resort. You will never get the value out at that price point.

Room Tip: You want the rooms on the left side of the building the 4 digit number rooms. Its newer the AC work...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family