“Good Stay with the family”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We recently had the opportunity to stay a week at this quaint resort at the north end of Cozumel. We are a family of three and went with another family of 4 with 2 teenage boys. I do want to start with saying that the staff of this resort have been with them for 7-20 years.

Beginning with Frederico, Martha at the luggage and check in. We had several choices to stay at many resorts, but this one came highly recommended because of the staff. It is an older resort that has had a few upgrades and a newer section. It was built starting in 1978 I believe.
The ocean is breathtaking in Cozumel and we were lucky enough to get 3 ocean view / pool view rooms. We had ease with the elevator never having trouble. We really wanted rooms a little higher up, it has 8 floors in the newer section, Our rooms were 1302, 1303, & 1304. It is a nice place to go if you have young teens that have not traveled much before and want them to have a little freedom without getting lost. In 2 days our son knew every bartender 's name and servers.
Our room maid service was good and rooms stayed clean and water bottles replenished and towels daily. We did bring usd for daily tip and a few small dollar store prizes for the maids children that we put out each day. I know they always look forward to a treat brought from the US and it shows special gratitude. The room had very cold A/C and flat screen TV.. It has a 100 % cotton type blanket and 4 pillows or so. The tile and shower are probably next in line for an upgrade, but it was clean.
Helpful Tip 1: Please make a dinner reservation every am by 8:00 so that you may eat in the inside restaurant for dinner, otherwise you will have to do the 1 buffet that is no ac for all of your meals.
2 If you sit closer to the ocean you may get a breeze, or on theme beach night they will set it up on the beach.
3 Just so you know you may eat inside at the a/c restaurant with no reservation for breakfast or lunch, just no wet swimwear.
4 You may also order off of the menu at the covered cabana at La Cocal breakfast or lunch , just not dinner. We did have a very good meal on the Monday Tuesday Menu for the bacon wrapped steaks, and there is a sweet little man playing the piano that has been there for over 8 years.
5 We did however take a cab and go into town for a few dinner meals just for some variety don't get upset if you don't like the choices , they will let you order room service or off the menu.. just ask.
6 One of our days we were there we went deep sea fishing and brought back fish from our trip. We spoke with Luis at the outside restaurant and he and the chef prepared our yellow tail snapper 1/2 grilled and 1/2 blackened. It was very tasty the fresh fish was well prepared.
The beach if pretty to look at , a worker gets out every am before 7 and rakes it all smooth, there is just a lot of rocks,, bring some water shoes.
Also there is a nice pier you can walk down and see the fish. we snorkeled right out front.
Keep in mind this in not a mega resort with 8-10 different restaurants.. if you dont like it you dont have to eat it, if you make eye contact, they will be right over to fix it, bring sunscreen,
we really enjoyed everyone here and didnt feel the drinks were watered down, we did bring our insulated clear mugs for refills, and the wine at dinner was ok. we brought 100 dollars in 1's and 5's for tipping, cabs and change .. it is harder to break big bills, We did also take the cab shuttle while in the airport and it was only 10 USD per person, so dont get taken by the folls offering a shuttle for more. You can also walk right outside the airport at a statue and a street cab will pick you up. There are just funny regulations and a union on the cabs down there. This resort is in north zone 2, so it cost about 16 usd for 4 people back to the airport. It is only 8 usd to go downtown for 4 persons.. we didn't want to rent a car. CHeck with the cruise port schedule before going to town, it is a lot nicer on fewer ships days.
Till next time or if you have questions, just send me a note..Ola

Room Tip: any facing the water, but if you can get above 5th floor your room will clear the tops of the palms
4  Thank Trixie007
There are newer reviews for El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Jeff, grandson, and I really enjoyed our 6 day stay at El Cozumeleño Resort. The staff from all sections of the resort went out of their way to make sure our wants/needs were met. The food was of several varieties and plenty of it. The buffet for breakfast/lunch/dinner was good and should satisfy any palate. They did have inside restaurant that served all three meals except for dinner from six to nine pm there was a cost and dress code. Long pants/collar shirt and matching dress for women no opened toe shoes. There are two pools with bars and plenty of waiters to bring you- your favorite drink and a self service ice cream/drink dispenser. There is a beach/playa to set by or snorkel in the water. The rooms were cool and large enough for comfort and cleaned every day. Down town is a short taxi ride for $8,00 one way.

Room Tip: Our room was on 2nd floor and considered a partial view of the Caribbean - so the higher your room...
1  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Nice place. Been there twice now and enjoyed myself both times. Service is excellent, all of the bartenders, maids, waiters and absolutely everyone else are just great. (Octavio the waiter is a favorite). The only exception to this is the host at the 'fine dining' restaurant. What a jerk! He acts like you, (the paying customer), should be honored that you are being allowed to speak to him or that he is gracing you with his company. No greeting, no smile, no connection to the guest at all - he just phones it in and acts like he would rather be anywhere else but there. I always give someone a second chance just in case maybe the first time they might have just been having a bad day or whatever but this guy has been the same every single time I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with him, (many), or watched him converse with others. Give this guy a broom and put him to work sweeping the parking lot or better yet, a scrub brush and put him in charge of the toilets.

Breakfast is always good in either the buffet or inside in the fine dinning, (where there is a smaller buffet or you can order off of the menu), venue. I personally like the omelets that the gal makes in the open air buffet area. I always find something interesting on the buffet line then bring it to the omelet lady and have her make me a custom creation - which she always does with a smile no matter how busy she has been. (Drop her a few bucks tip if you go this route as it's kind of a hassle for her sometimes). Lunch is ok - your standard all inclusive stuff on the buffet or go outside by the pool where there are burgers, dogs, fries, salads, etc. and excellent home made onion rings. Dinner buffet, (like lunch), is ok but I always hit town for dinner with the exception of maybe one or two dinners at the 'fine dinning' venue at the hotel depending on the menu which changes every two days.

A great restaurant that is just down the street towards town, (a very easy walk), is The Lobster House. Please let me be more specific - The ORIGINAL Lobster House. There will be some confusion here that I will clear up for you in a moment - The ORIGINAL Lobster House, (that has been there for many years), is the one that is the furthest from the hotel and closest to town. If you are handed a menu, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY as YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE! Step out the door, go left, take several steps and you will see a statue of a seated Fidel Castro, go left into the gateway entrance, over a rickety foot bridge, (think Indiana Jones), and you will see Jimmy, (the Captain), smiling and greeting you - you are now in the ORIGINAL Lobster House. Some clarification is needed here. The ORIGINAL Lobster House has been there for many years, it is run by Fernando and his son, Fernando JR.. As I understand it, years ago Fernando's brother opened another restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR and called it The Lobster House. This brother copied the logo, signage, dessert, (Key Lime Pie), and opened his doors. This "phoney" Lobster House serves other items besides lobster and has a menu like a traditional restaurant. The ORIGINAL Lobster House ONLY SERVES LOBSTER, PERIOD. There is no menu. You walk in and you are shown a large container of fresh lobster tails on ice. You then select the tail(s) that you like and they are then weighed in front of you, you are quoted a price and you pay by the weight of the tail(s). Once prepared, (perfectly), they add to the plate a nice portion of steamed vegetables, (incredible), and the absolute best rice I have ever consumed all included in the price that you were quoted for the weight of the lobster. They have a nice little bar that serves huge cocktails and ice cold beer. The wine selection is limited but trust me you are not going to care. After dinner you are served a nice taste of a chilled banana concoction that is wonderful. Save room for dessert - home made key lime pie made by the owner's sister that is to die for. Occasionally they offer bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer as well as conch chowder, (awesome), if they can get fresh conch but that's it. This place is a MUST DO for anyone that likes lobster and is probably the best lobster on the island. Just make sure that you go to the correct place or you will be disappointed. If you are, send me the bill. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Newer tower, high enough to get a nice ocean view. Corner rooms at the end of the tier have larger...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank phillaycheo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This resort/hotel exceeded our expectations! The service here is just absolutely amazing. We never once had a problem with any type of service. The resort itself is incredibly clean, inside and out. The employees are incredibly nice and helpful and didn't make us feel like we were putting them out. Sure, the rooms could use a little updating, but overall it was clean. The food I would consider average, but we didn't go for the food, so I had no problem with that. Beautiful, clean beach with beautiful water. We will be staying here again, no questions. We met some great couples/families while we were visiting and they were also enjoying their stay. We met several people who had been to the resort before, with one family on their fifth visit! That certainly says something about the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 987jesseb
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I took my daughter to Cozumel for a post high school graduation trip and her 18th birthday. My husband wasn't going with us, so since it was going to be just the two of us, I wanted to make sure we were somewhere safe. I picked this resort because of it's location to the airport and town. The day we were supposed to leave, the airlines had to change the day of our departure to the following day, which meant we were going to be checking into the resort a day later than our reservations and checking out a day later. Still staying the same amount of nights! I called the resort before we left home to notify them of the changes, and was told all was okay. The day we checked in, the front desk changed our reservations to the days that we were going to be there. Again, was told everything was going to be okay and was not told that we would have to pay any additional charges. On our last night there at 11:40pm!! our phone rang in our room, I answered it to hear some man at the front desk tell me that we had to pay for an additional night. I tried to explain the situation to him, and he told me that I need to come THEN to pay. I told him we were sleeping and I wasn't going to leave my daughter in the room that late at night. I told him that I would take care of it in the morning, and hung up the phone. At MIDNIGHT!!!! We hear pounding at our door, scared to death, I went and looked through the peep hole, I saw that it was two men dressed in the resorts clothing, I answered the door, and he was ordering me to come to the front desk. Again, I told him we were sleeping and I didn't want to leave my daughter alone in the room. He refused to listen to me, and told me I HAD to go now!! My daughter and I got dressed to go to the front desk, I showed him on my contract that the dates were changed to our stay there. After trying to reason with him, and realizing that I was not going to get anywhere, and being afraid that I was in Mexico, I had to pay another $290!!! We had already paid for the number of nights that we were there, and then I had to pay for an additional night that we weren't. I was helpless and scared!! I will never EVER stay at this resort again, customer service is NOT waking up your guest at MIDNIGHT, having them come to the front desk, and making them pay for a night that they weren't there for! I can't tell you how scared I was going back to my room that night. And...feeling trapped, because it was too late in the night to leave and go to another hotel. So much for feeling safe in this resort!

10  Thank Beverly D
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Great experience! Definitely plan on going back to Cozumel using same resort. Room-can't beat the view with ocean view. Staff-so friendly always. Very clean resort. Downside is no air conditioner in main lobby or in restaurant La Veranda which can get very hot during the day.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The resort was nice and very clean. The food was average at best, service was good. Seemed to have trouble getting proper amount of towels and washcloths. Room was nice, but ceiling fans would be a great addition. Excellent snorkeling, and free scuba lesson in the pool was awesome for my girlfriend. The resort discouraged scooter rental, but we rented one anyway with no problems and took a tour around the island, which I highly recommend! The other side of the island is beautiful. The resort goes to bed early, not much night life. We both had one day with stomach issues, as it seems most of the people we talked to did as well. All in all, we would stay there again. Was a nice vacation on a budget and worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple