“Excellent Experience - Not Perfect But Highly Recommended”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 8 April 2009

OK......first of all, to all those posting negative reviews.....get real. When your one of hundreds of people being fed each day, don't expect the buffet to be full of gourmet dishes. Sure, the food can be a bit bland, but hey, its free and all you can eat. The buffet breakfasts and dinners were quite good (gracias Lorenzo) .....and the more formal dinner at the La Ventana (gracias Jose) is even better. As someone else commented, you will not go to bed hungry. And, if you are bringing your children along you will be greatful for having the buffet. If you enoy sitting along the pool and having a few drinks, you will definitely not be disappointed. The pool service staff (muchas gracias Marisola y Naomi) does an excellent job of making sure you have a nice, cold drink at your side. As for the beds, they were just fine. The housekeeping staff were exellent as well. More importantly this beautiful, all-inclusive hotel has well maintained grounds, is very, very clean, provides excellent service, has no hidden extra costs, is very relaxing.and very, very safe. It was was quite a good deal for your money.

Location is ideal. Downtown was only a six or seven minute taxi ride ($8 each way); and for those who want a little exercise, a nice 40 minute walk. My friend and I chose to walk into town and taxi back to the hotel. The beachfront is clean, the ocean is a beautiful blending of various blue shades and the beach combing is the best. Its an ideal place to recharge your batteries. Be advised, if you are looking for lots of party action, this is not the place for you. Although it can be described as a family oriented hotel, I never got the sense that we were being surrounded by a lot of kids.....you hardly noticed that they were there.

Overall, for the price paid to stay at the Cozumeleno we definitely had ourselves a great deal. I will certainly stay there again....and soon. One other word of advise, when making reservations, ask for a oceanview room in the newer South Towers. We had a room on the 5th Floor and the views were amazing. Tranquil, soothing mornings and beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
8  Thank AnaheimCA

Reviewed 5 April 2009

We stayed at the El Coz 3/24 - 3/31 with our 12 and 17 year old. The snorkling was great right off the beach and if you love to collect shells, this is the best. Breakfast and lunch were good, but the dinner buffet was hit or miss. Service is good and I thank all the bartenders for making numerous pina coladas for the kids. We were disappointed that teens are not allowed in the disco. We did have to ask for double shots in our drinks, but they were happy to do it. The wine is terrible. Overall, this place is a paradise and get value for the money.

4  Thank pelligirl
Reviewed 4 April 2009

First, let me thank everyone who takes the time to post a review. Very helpful and appreciated. Now, here is mine....

Stayed at El Coz from 3/28 to 4/2. Went with my daughter (22). This is my 2nd stay at El Coz. Was there in November, 2008. I planned this trip after the college's spring break. However, lots of elementary and high schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin must have a week off for their spring break. Lots of kids this time but really didn't notice them. All were well behaved. I think I prefer going in March than November. Ocean was warmer, pool was warmer and everything was open. Also, not as windy so the water was calmer.

We reserved and received an oceanfront room in the south tower. Room was on 2nd floor. Would have liked higher floor but we still had a nice view. Plus we only had 1 flight of stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. Room was nice and clean.

Weather was beautiful all 5 days. Mostly sunny with a nice ocean breeze. Temp's in the mid 80's. Sun was HOT! I was up early each morning so I was able to get our chairs with no problem. Pool water and ocean water were nice.

The food was the same. Some days are better than others. I never went to bed hungry. Typical AI food. Breakfast was great. One night we went to La Veranda. Very nice. Similar to cruise dinner. One afternoon took a taxi into town to shop. Didn't stay too long as it was sooo hot.

We had excellent service from the waiters around the pool and beach. They were around reguarly asking if you needed anything. (Hi Paul!) Try the Mamacita. Yummy. The snorkeling was cool. Lots of fish.

Can't comment on the nightlife after 10:00p.m. We were too tired to stay up and find out. Wednesday night they had a live band. Very good. All the music and shows are done by 10:00p.m. They do have a karaoke bar upstairs (2nd floor) open from 10 - 2 for you night owls.

As I remembered, the coffee has a lot to be desired. So I took my own coffeepot and coffee. Too bad the thing didn't work. I should have checked before we went.

There are plenty of activities to do on the island and some you can book right at the hotel. We just wanted to lounge around and relax. Next time I plan on doing some stuff.

I spent around $30 in tips which is not required but they work really hard. That's what I like about an all-inclusive. They don't nickel and dime you to death like a cruise.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. If you do not have high expectations regarding the food (you will find something to eat), then this is the place to get the best bang for your buck.

• Stayed: March 2009
8  Thank lucylover
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We spent a week at the El Coz from March 14-21. We brought out kids, ages 7 and 12, and had a very good time. We met some great new friends from Texas, and enjoyed the sun, the super-blue water, and the a la carte especially. We had a perfect location for our room (1106 on the ground floor in the new, south building)...but noticed on our third day that its drains were starting to give off a septic aroma, especially in the morning. The management was quick to send someone, and they really tried hard to remedy the problem. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for us, since we knew the resort was packed (Spring Break) and since the location was so perfect. We simply kept the drains covered whenever possible (shower mat, closed toilet seat, etc.) and aired out the room with the fabulous breeze from the patio door facing the ocean.

Our maid, Guadelupe, did a great job with the towel animals and the providing of extra water and towels. The wait staff were very friendly, and the pool waitresses did a great job of tending to us as we lounged, when we didn't feel like walking up to the bar. Overall we found the staff very nice, though not as animated and "chatty" as the staff on the mainland, and the kids' club folks (Abril, Montsie, Johan) were very sweet. Our daughter had a great time, though our son, who is 12, found there wasn't as much to do as he would have liked for his age group. I would recommend they put more scheduled games and activities through the day, as there was less of this here than we have found on the Mayan mainland. Bingo flourished, and volleyball once a day, but that was about it.

The food, as others have mentioned, is not the best I've tasted, but we still managed to gain weight! I would heartily recommend lining up and reserving for the a la carte, as it was FABULOUS and changed its menu every night. They are now taking reservations for every half hour, rather than only two as I heard was the system a year ago. We enjoyed the food at the Wed. and Fri. specialty night buffets as well, when they partied outside as evening entertainment.

As for the drinks, they WERE willing to put top shelf liquor in your drinks if you asked, and while I didn't think I'd notice, the margaritas were a LOT better with Cuervo, I must say! We really missed mojitos, but found mudslides and various fruity drinks to fill the gap! After two days we were limited to two drinks per bar visit, and that surprised us. We thought the bar tenders were very patient, giving our daughter and her friend their fancy mixed drinks without alcohol over and over again. This was a highlight for the kids, for sure.

The sun and water were our main reasons for coming, and as I mentioned earlier, the view could not compare. Yes, the beach was shell-covered in spots, and yes, the tidepools are hard to walk on if you wander up the beach -- but what a neat place to go find critters. There was certainly enough raked, smooth sand right in front for those who longed to lounge in it, and the beach area certainly seemed to have enough seating if you were okay with pure sun. Most of the crowd seemed to be around the lively activity pool in front of the south building, and it was the warmest, though calling any of them warm is a stretch. Really, the pools were ridiculously cold, compared to what we've found in the Mayan at the same time of year. Not sure what's up with that, but the ocean was lovely for a dip.

As far as seating goes, there were not many palapas on the beach, and no sun umbrellas by the pool. The palapas were all claimed by 5:30 most days (we got the last one one day, when our kids were still waking up on Canadian time, and it was before 6, and most loungers were gone by 7 at the latest. As long as you were willing to move around (either yourself, or loungers if you could grab them), you could find shade. Many days we hung out under the roofed pool, simply because it was the only place we could find chairs. The towel game got tedious and many people were complaining about it, but what can you do?

We definitely enjoyed the staff, the setting, and our stay at El Cozumeleno. A great deal for the money, and a great location.

6  Thank bmanssister
Reviewed 28 March 2009

My husband and I just got back from the El Cozumeleno. We really enjoyed the ocean view from our 9th floor balcony, but were disapointed in some of the things at the resort. The resort was full because of spring break when we went so it was very hard to find a beach chair. People claimed them the night before or early in the morning, but then often didn't use the chair they claimed. We were up early, but still had a hard time finding chairs.
The food was not that great. Breakfast was good, but lunch and dinner were sometimes cold and there was not a lot of variety. It was usually bland food, not as good as the Barcelo resort we went to in Riviera Maya. We did eat at the restaurant one night and the food was good. Room service was available for free, but we did not try it.
The drinks were good and we usually did not have to wait long. There was a soda machine, but it was usually out of soda. During our five days, there was only Coke available one day in the machine. Even when it was available it was warm.
We were also disapointed that there was not a clock or a fridge in our room. It would have been nice to have a fridge to keep water cold. Bottles of water are only available in the rooms. We left a note asking for an extra bottle of water from the maid and did receive it.
The entertainment at the resort is not good, so we went into town two nights. Downtown is only five minutes away, but unfortunately Cozumel is the only place in Mexico that does not have a bus service so you need to take a taxi. We spent $60 on taxis from going into town twice and going zip lining. The zip line was about 15 minutes away. The people there were very friendly and we saw monkeys and iguanas, but the zip line was nothing like we had seen in other places. The zip line towers are not far apart so it doesn't take long to go through them. You aren't really going through hills or jungles. You will need to take a taxi to any excursions as the taxi company does not allow the places to provide their own transportation.
If you are going on your honeymoon be aware that it needs to be within one month from your wedding to be able to get any of the special honeymoon things.
The beach in front of the resort was small and a little rocky, but better than the beaches in front of the nearby resorts. Not as good as the beaches in Riviera Maya though. The snorkeling was good.
This resort seemed to be a good place for families because it is small so parents can see their kids at all times. For us, as a young couple, it probably was not the best choice for a resort. We enjoyed our vacation and it was a nice resort, but did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jenjen0623
Reviewed 24 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at El Cozumeleno Beach Resort from March 19-22 along with his father, 2 siblings and their spouses. Upon arriving we were greeted with welcome drinks and smiling faces. We had reserved 4 rooms, so checking in took some time, but it was WELL worth the wait. We all went up to our rooms as a group and were pleasantly surprised with the rooms. What you see on the website is what you get. Beautiful views.... large rooms!!! I would recommend that you ask for a room on the 4th floor or above. Otherwise your view will be obstructed by the palm trees and huts.

There are two restaurants, one is a more formal dining area where you have to make reservations.... if you can, eat here every day. The food is prepared fresh, whereas the outside restaurant is more of a buffet style so the food is not as fresh--- a typical buffet.

The drinks were amazing.... and they do have some American top shelf liquor you just have to ask for it specifically. My husband is a Crown & Coke guy and didn't find out til the last day they had Crown. Don't assume that just because you don't see the bottle on the shelf that they don't have what you want.... it's probably hidden under the bar. You must try the Sunset. It's amazingly sweet and fruity, just like you would expect on a tropical island :)

We are already starting to plan our 2010 vacation for next year and are staying at El Cozumeleno again :)

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank luv2travel1974
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I enjoyed my time at the resort. We went with a large group. There is plenty to do for all ages. My 7 year-old loved the snorkeling and swimming. The staff was incredibly friendly! We tipped a dolar or two for services, but they were very kind and great even without the tips! The beds left a little to be desired, but we weren't there to sleep! The food is so-so. It is good at first, but does get dull after a few days. Overall, if you have kids, this is a great vacation spot!

5  Thank julesOklahoma