“Excellent hotel for the price, clean, safe and pleasant staff”

Casa del Mar Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at Casa del Mar. I was a young, female traveling by myself, and I always felt safe. Excellent maid service every day, front desk was always helpful. The restaurant staff was enjoyable. A friendly atmosphere all around.
The internet in the lobby was indeed fickle, however, you are on VACATION who needs it? If you have to there are several places nearby that have Wifi, Barracuda Snack Bar and No Name Bar

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank monbid

Reviewed 29 March 2011

Our first time in Cozumel was one of the best trips we had due to Casa del Mar. My husband, two friends and I fell in love with the place online. Their video gave us a good impression and fueled our excitement for going.

We couldn't pass up their online deal: 40% off when you book online. Therefore, our deluxe room with a king sized bed was $80 a night (not per person, for the room). There's an option to add the meal plan to make it an all-inclusive stay. I think it's @ $40 usd for all meals and drinks. Not bad if I may say so. However, since we knew we wanted to explore other places, we did not get that package. But, with all the extra money we were spending for a few meals, snacks and drinks, we were wishing we got the package by mid-week.

Speaking of the menu, the prices are reasonable: 44 pesos for a bowl of fantastic tortilla soup, with a plate of cheese, avocado and ancho peppers to add. They always serve chips and fresh pico salsa, so you've had a filling lunch for @ $4. We found their salsa to be very tasty and fresh - we could taste the cilantro and lime. Not hot enough for our tastes, though, so we asked for picante. With a smile, (and with every meal we had there) they brought us their homemade habenero sauce. it's hot, but TASTY. Our one friend who swore he didn't like a lot of Mexican or spicy food, and was eating hot dogs and burgers the first 2 days, was using the sauce on everything from his fajitas to his breakfast omlette. By the way, their burgers and dogs there are good, says my friend. After a full day of diving at the Scuba Shack across the street (great operation, review coming soon), we had dinner there. Tasty Surf and Turf was only 170 pesos (@ 16-17 dollars), was even tastier considering we walked out of the the Hard Rock the night before because they want $18.50 for a burger.

Make sure you have their breakfast buffet Friday and Saturday mornings (they probably have it on Sunday, but I wasn't there). You can basically try everything on their breakfast menu - fruit, yogurt, pancakes, omlettes to order, and some TASTY Mexican options, such as grilled pork and veggies(top of breakfast photo), or chilaquelles (mmmmmm): fried tortillas with tomato sauce, cilantro, chicken, cheese, all baked and melted together (on left of plate in breakfast photo). We learned that this is known as 'poor man's breakfast,' and a favorite breakfast among the locals for hangovers ;)

The staff was incredibly pleasant. We found Santos, the evening bartender, to be especially so. We looked forward to his hearty, energetic greeting to us every night. It was so rewarding and educational to try out what little Spanish I learned 20 years ago in school. He was most encouraging and also taught me new words.

Everything was pristine clean. We slept like babies every night, but by the last night i did find the bed to be a bit harder than I am used to.

Though we had an amazing time there, I can understand how some may be disappointed. Those who want high luxury, an unspoiled view of the ocean, central access to downtown, or a wild party scene will not enjoy their stay.

We loved that it's a smaller, quieter, down-to-earth place. That's exactly why we'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TheScubaLyons
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Hi, my name is Eric, and I approve this message 

My wife and I just finished a 2-week trip to Cozumel, Mexico (first 2 weeks of March). Let me start by saying this: Our trip was awesome. We stayed at the “Casa del Mar” hotel. The owners of this hotel also own the “Nachi Cocom” beach club, about a 10-minute drive south of the hotel. The hotel is not all-inclusive, but guests of the hotel are granted free entrance to the Nachi Cocom beach club. One point of note: this beach club only accepts up to 100 people a day, and people from the Cruise ships seem to have priority (since they pay $49 for a reservation – which includes all-you-can-eat-and-drink).
Usually this isn’t a problem, but it did happen to us once that we were turned away because they were already at capacity. But for the 8 or 9 other times that we went to Nachi Cocom, we had no problems getting in, and a few times, there were only about 20 or 30 people there. The really sparse day is Sundays, since apparently no cruise ships stop in Cozumel on Sundays.
Nachi Cocom beach club is really nice – all the beach lounge chairs are under shade, provided by Palapas (a thatched-roof thingy – works well for providing shade). The servers come out to the beach to take and deliver your food and drink orders, and if you don’t have the all-inclusive $49 pass for the day, you’ll have to pay for the food and drink at the end of the day when you leave – food and drinks are reasonably priced. They did a good job of keeping track of what we ate and drank. The ocean there is very clear, meaning that if you’re snorkeling, you have very good visibility – although you’ll have to look hard for the fish, of which there aren’t all that many – you’ll find most of them under, or near, the dock/pier, but we did manage to see a few fish away from the pier, too. We looked at a few other beach clubs, and a lot of them don’t seem to have shade for the lounge chairs, so you’re baking in the sun all day. Our last day in Cozumel, we did go to one other beach club called “Playa Azul”, located a couple miles north of town. Free entrance, but the food costs just a little more than at Nachi Cocom. Shade for the lounge chairs, which we liked. And snorkeling is very good there – lots of fish.
As for the hotel Casa del Mar – it’s a nice, clean hotel, with a friendly staff. It has 3 types of rooms – basic, Superior, and Cabanas. The basic room didn’t come with a refrigerator or microwave, but I think the other types of rooms come with one or both of those things. We had the basic room, and despite the lack of refrigerator and microwave, it was still a nice room, although the mattress was somewhat hard. Each evening when we came home, housekeeping had left us an animal made from towels – really cute .
The restaurant at the hotel is good. We had their buffet breakfast the first morning of our stay, and a dinner later in the week. Across the street from the hotel is a little place called “Ernestos”. Perhaps not much to look at from the outside, it is worth it to go in and eat. For $3.99 you can get their breakfast special, which is excellent. At dinner there, we had the Fajitas – also excellent. If you go into town, you’ll see a restaurant called “Palmeros” at the main square. In this main square, near the back, is a little restaurant called “Mosaicos” with outdoor seating – we ate there several times because we liked their food.
One final note – we rented a compact car for the whole 2 weeks we were there – and although our credit card from the USA told us that they would cover insurance for the Mexican rental car, this is not really true. Apparently, law requires that you buy the $11/day liability insurance in Cozumel, even if you have insurance thru your stateside credit card.
Any other insurance, other than liability, is optional. Our online quote of $153 for the 2 weeks didn’t include the $11/day liability insurance, so we ended paying almost $350 total – still not a bad price for 2 weeks of transportation freedom.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MeisterEMH
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This place was exactly what we were looking for and had everything we wanted. If you are looking for a nice non all inclusive hotel in Cozumel that has a beach and a pool, you're choices are somewhat limited, but you cannot go wrong with this place. The service is great, the price is very fair and it is very well maintained. Anybody who complains about this place simply didn't do any research because it is exactly as advertised, no surprises for us except it maybe exceeded our expectations. One minor area that could use a little improvement is the wifi, a little slow- took forever to send email. We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank yellowhed68
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Clean, simple hotel, with basic amenities, but what more do you need when you're at the beach all day?
Good breakfast buffet, simple, but good enough to get the day started.
Dinner was good too.
Cruise ships are close by, but that didn't bother us.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My wife and I went with Heather and her group in January and were pleasantly suprised at this property. Heather has been going to Casa for years but this was our first time there. We have been going to Cozumel for 6 years and have stayed at different properties. We expected Casa to be OK but they surpassed our expectations. Our room was very clean and the maid service was great...Fresh flowers and towell animals every day. the dive shop was a pleasure to deal with and is run in a very professional manner...thier boat "BIG SPLASH" is a nice boat to dive from. The staff at the hotel is wonderful also...One night I had the chance to sit and talk with a couple of staff members and even though we had to work through a little language barrier(most speak english very well) I had a great time just making small talk. The people I talked to were truely interested in learning about our differences(SNOW) and didn't seem to mind my poor Spanish. Everyone in our group was pleased with the accomadations and the location of the resort is pretty nice also. Casa has thier own pier so diving is very easy. One morning the dive shop even called my room to see if I had been planning to dive but forgot to sign up. I wasn't planning for that day but thats some great service! This is a nice resort and we will probably be back and yes I do recommend Casa to my friends. Heather has brought many people to this resort and knows all the ins and outs so that was a plus also. The diving and snorkeling right out front is very good and we had a chance to see the sunken airplane on both day and night dives(Bearing of 240 degrees from the stair entry to the water) We are very pleased with the resort. we had a ground floor room and my wife has limited mobility...we found access easy. Casa has Wifi in the lobby...I hope they will upgrade to a broader area(rooms?) but it wasn't a problem. Don't miss Sunday night in the town square, it is a cool time to just mill around and soak in the culture!

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank wallymanGrandHaven
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I recently stayed at Casa del Mar with my husband as part of a dive vacation, and had an amazing time. The staff was incredible - so friendly and helpful, and the connecting bridge to Del Mar Aquatics was super convenient. Everyone we encountered at the hotel and dive shop was friendly and professional. The hotel exceeded my expectations given the incredible value, with very decent rooms, nice staff and good food. The only hiccup I encountered while staying their was the internet access, as there is no wifi in the rooms (only in the lobby), and the internet connection was completely down for 2 of the 6 days I was there. Seeing as this is more likely a spot for a leisure vacation it is probably not their highest priority, but I would be cautious of going here if you are in need of connectivity 24/7 while on vacation. For me it was great - as it forced me to disconnect and actually completely relax into vacation mode with no email, Facebook, etc. I would recommend Casa del Mar to anyone going to Cozumel to dive, it was great!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple