“Been there 8 times and love it”

Casa del Mar Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 28 February 2008

I stay at Casa Del Mar every time I go to Cozumel. The staff always remembers me and the rooms are always clean. I stayed at another hotel after the big hurricane and I was very disapointed. I was wishing I was back at Casa Del Mar. I will never stay anywhere else. The location is perfect and quiet. The private little beach has good snorkling.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank 2000vert
There are newer reviews for Casa del Mar Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort

Reviewed 23 February 2008

This place was horrible! The staff were very rude, the hotel had a very horrible odor as we walked up to the room. The beach was located over an overpass over top of the street. Their small beach was very inadequate and I wouldn't recommend walking on the sand with no shoes as a big chunk of wire was embedded in my foot... i told the hotel staff and they didnt even say sorry they just grabbed it and threw it out. Kind of scary since you see a lot of ads on Television about hepatitis. Thank god we didn't book for an entire week at this place and it was just one day.. we didnt even stay there the night. We actually got there at noon and paid for a night and then left and went somewhere else. I would likely give this place 1/2 star and that's pushing it.. They really need to get rid of the sewer smell. They also advertise that they have internet in the lobby that is wireless... The whole network is very very slow, it takes a minute to load a page and we weren't the only people that complained about that...

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CanadianDewd
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Casa Del Mar is very pretty to look at. The location we felt was premium - half way between the national park beaches and the town of San Miguel. The overpass walkway to the beach was a very nice feature other hotels did not have.
The price was great...but you get what you pay for. The rooms are very basic. When we arrived we were taken aback at the mustiness of the room. It was oppressive! The airconditioner cleared that up - while the air conditioner worked. It kept freezing up and we would wake up HOT. And at one point it was actually spittin ice!
The TV remote was broken. And the plumbing is not insulated, so the water from the room above us was quite loud.
Having said that, the rooms are clean, the staff friendly and helpful.
The restaurant was not a Mexican experience in culinary arts. I do not recommend the all inclusive. (We went all inclusive)The menu is limited and I cook better in my own kitchen. But the bartender is very good. But I wished I hadn't pre-paid for my food b/c we passed places that smelled oh so good!
Nice clean pool, and a large hot tub, but the two times we considered it, the hot tub wasn't clean.
Overall, I do reccommend this hotel for location and a tight budget. But if you can afford a little more luxury, it will probably be worth the price.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank jinxxlady
Reviewed 5 February 2008

just got back from cozumel, mexico and a wonderful stay at the hotel casa del mar. what a great little hotel. the only problem we had all week was our flight into cozumel. the was mechanical problems and they couldn't get another plane in for us in time (cozumel has a curfew and the airport closes down). besides that, the trip was perfect.
i do not recommend this hotel for people who do 5 & 6 stars all inclusive. you will not be happy. if, on the other hand, you want your basic amenities, this is it. food was good. breakfast was all most the same with a new item every day or so. the menu is two pages and doesn't change. we got little snacks off it and were satisified. the staff was great, by the second day the waiters new us by name. HOLA!!!!!! ANTONIO!!!! i do not recommend doing an all inclusive here, unless you don't mind the same menu.
we booked this trip with a standard room, when we got there they showed us the room plus a few others. i suggest upgrading out of the standard. standard is 2 full size beds(i believe) a window view and shower area. we upgraded to a balcony room (100.00US extra well worth it) had a nice view of the pool and the sea. sunsets weren't that great because of the cruise ships in blocking the view, but not the hotels fault.
i've read some reviews about the shower water not being warm. i must say, we had HOT water all week.
yes the hotels beach is small, but your on an island, EXPLORE!!!! there are beaches EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
all in all this was a great place to stay and we will most likely be back next year.
gracias!!!!!!
if we don't stay there we will at least go back for a meal!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank nwindianatravelers
Reviewed 21 January 2008

Our Family and Dive group has been staying at Casa Del Mar for the last fifteen years, i recently discovered this sight and want to let everyone know from our past experiences at staying in Cozumel. Check in has alwasy been quick and efficient, accomidations are always taken care of with complete satisfaction. The Manager is always helpful with our dive groups and they are always taken care of, the staff for most part have been there for years and have always remembered me and my family along with the divers that attend with us. The staff is always friendly and courtious. Rooms are always cleaned every day and you can trust the maids , there is always hotel security walking the grounds at night and the grounds are lit appropriatly, you always feel safe and comfortable.
Casa Del Mar has a pool with a swim up bar, Hot tub and a good restaurant, service is as good as it can be in Mexico. The Hotel also provides you with a private beach club with a restaurant, pool and hot tub along with a fantastic beach.
We dive with Del Mar Aquatics and book directly with the dive shop and I highly recommend this dive shop for courtisy and safty, they have even supplied us with extra dive masters when we have some elderly divers aboard. I cannot say more for a shop that takes care of their clients as well as they do at Del Mar Aquatics.
we are looking forward to our next trip in Feb of this year, taking 20 divers with us ...

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank MN_Deep_Diver1
Reviewed 14 January 2008

We stayed at the Casa from 28 Dec - 05 Jan 08. Our plan was to dive for five days, and when we're diving we don't look for luxury in a hotel. Casa del Mar is not luxurious, but it is clean, the staff helpful, the food average.

We booked our diving through the hotel with Del Mar Aquatics, which is right across the road using the bridge. Del Mar was GREAT! Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate as much, so we missed two days of diving, which the hotel refunded.

We chose to do the all-inclusive for an additional $35 per person per day. By the end of the week, we'd tried what we wanted off the menu twice... They could use adding perhaps a special or two a day just to change things up for those staying for more than a weekend. Breakfast every morning was a buffet, with a wonderful Mayan woman cooking omlettes and eggs to order. Otherwise it was a little bare. The coffee is instant and not impressive. I wouldn't recommend the AI - it's only a $5 taxi ride to town to many very good restaurants (Casa Mission is great, along with the Wynston Prima II)

Our room was a standard room on the first floor. Every day there was a new towel animal on our bed - a wonderful touch. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day. The bed was firm (which we really like). We could easily leave the room through the patio door which locked behind us. There were hooks on the patio for us to hang up dive gear to dry.

There is a computer in the lobby with an Internet connection, but it is quite busy. You can access the wireless network with your own equipment in the lobby though.

While there, we also spent a day at the Beach Club. It's quite appropriate, but make sure to make your transportation reservation early!

I'd recommend this hotel for an inexpensive trip - a place to sleep for your dive trip. I'd highly recommend Del Mar Aquatics.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Marswell
Reviewed 14 November 2007

Arrived at Casa Del Mar and looked forward to my long needed vacation. Well it was more like my misadventures at Casa Del Mar.

Arrived with another couple and we were told that we would have ocean view rooms. Well that wouldn't happen only if we paid an addtional $120.00 bucks. Did provide a credit card and I did get a room with a balcony that faced into a bunch of palm trees, but the room did have a kingsize bed and was on the corner of the building so it was quite large and cozy, so I opted to just stay in it as it was on the 2nd floor and our friends had to be on the 3rd floor due to the hotel being so busy. (slow season)

Well to start off most of the staff was wonderful. The front desk staff was a mess. I knew I was in trouble when I asked for a piece of paper to write on and the girl gave me the whole list of the hotel guests and their confidential information, which I did try to give back to her, but she said it wasn't a problem. That is how I know that hotel was not busy.

Well then I ended up with sand fleas in my bed. Well I must say it is not very romantic.

When we went to happy hour, they decided to change it on a moments notice, even after it was pointed out to them on the sign that we were there at the correct time and that we had been coming there at the same time for 3 days. Well they changed the sign right then and there and told us happy hour was over.
I boycotted drinking anything from the bar after that for the rest of my trip.

Well then the air-conditioner broke is our room. The desk told me they fixed it and the hotel maintenance said it would have to wait till tomorrow. Well they did offer me 4 or 5 different rooms in the hotel that were musty and very dirty and small and that I would have to leave my belongings in the other room and come back and forth to get personal items. Well thats when I lost it, it was now midnight and all I wanted to do was go to bed. I told them I was paying $120 bucks for an oceanview room and now I didn't even have a room that I could sleep in. Well finally they showed me a beautiful room on the 3rd floor with an oceanview and that I could stay there for the rest of my stay which was now 4 days left. Why couldn't we have done that 2 hours prior or even on the first day and all would have been well.

I did enjoy my new room. It was lovely inside. They left towel animals and it was very clean. It was a welcoming surprised.

Well then they decided that the rooms around me had to have the doors all sanded and stained, well between the noise and the smell, I try to put on a smile, stuck a towel at the door and sat out on the balcony to enjoy the terrific view.

The location of the hotel was excellent and the view was fantastic, but I will never stay at this hotel again.

It is just ashame as this hotel does have lots of potential, but they just didn't seem to care.

They did take off $20.00 off my bill for my headaches but that is only a drop in the bucket, to all that I experienced.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple