“A Nice, but not fancy hotel!”

Casa del Mar Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Arden Hills, Minnesota
“A Nice, but not fancy hotel!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have stayed here many times, friendly front staff, very nice dive hotel. Would highly recommend this hotel for divers, especially if you are using Dive with Martin ( we always use this dive shop) . Walking distance to dive shop, not crazy about the on-site dive area. This is a sister hotel with El Cid, and the El Cid (which is across the street on the ocean side). will let you snorkel and lie on their beach, if you tell them you are from Casa del Mar. If you are looking for a beautiful beach, this is not the place. The hotel itself has nice but smallish rooms, ask for an upgrade to ocean view, or balcony. the cabanas are nice, sometimes available for an upgrade for not very much. Usually, free breakfast early for divers. Adequate menu for lunches after diving, the waiters would see us coming across the elevated bridge over the street, and have a beer waiting for my husband after diving. If you dive, and dont need luxury or a beach, this is the place for you. A rental car makes sense if you need to go to town alot, we take taxis and split with friends. About 5 to 7 us to get to town!

Room Tip: There are some really dark, rooms toward the back of the hotel, if you dont like your room, ask for...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New York, NY
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Just got back from a 5 night stay at Casa Del Mar over the holidays.

The room was very clean and the cleaning staff seemed to have a cute sense of humor, leaving new exotic towel animals for guests daily.

The staff was friendly enough most times. I had the unpleasant experience of a flight change, leaving me with the need to get off the island earlier than the ferry's permit. When I asked for help finding a hotel (any hotel...being that this was NYE) off the island for one night, it was obvious the staff did not want to help. They weren't rude, they just suggested I find one myself. They first suggested that I use the phone in my room, from which they would profit. They then suggested that I use their available computer with internet access, which was a very slow and very old machine.

I did what I had to and took care of things myself, but the staff was extremely discouraging in a time of need.

I should also mention that when I checked in there was the boast of a free 2-day rental car with my stay. When I tried to cash that in the very next day...I was told cars were limited due to the holiday, and the chances of me actually getting a car were slim to none.

There's also a beach club, Nachi-Cocom (sp?) linked to the hotel that I wasn't informed of. A very pleasant taxi driver told me about it. When I tried to go, it was closed for a wedding. No prior notification for any of the guests...nothing.

The restaurant was fine and the pool was fine. There's a bar too, but the drinks were small and mixed pretty weak. The breakfast was also set up as a buffet style just 2 mornings into my trip. There was not a great selection at all at breakfast, which lead me to go to Paprika. Something I was so glad to do....that place is understated and delicious!

The "beach" here is terrible. Not a beach at all. There's some reviews here claiming "misleading pics"...and I have to agree. The beach is just a little alcove across the street from the hotel. It's not taken care of at all, and isn't a place you're able to relax. The smell of the fumes from both nearby boats and the road just a few feet away is overwhelming. Even if you're willing to overlook all of that and sit down to relax...you can't. 95% of the beach chairs are cracked and broken.

Overall disappointing, would not suggest.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The hotel is ok looking, the rooms are big enough, and it's well cleaned cleaned everyday. The location requires you to take a taxi to anywhere, there is no beach here (nearest Paradise Beach $17usd cab drive), and downtown is a $80mx/$7usd cab drive, what isn't too bad. The water of the swimming pool is very cold, even more cold then the sea, but it's december so what to expect.
The food in the restaurant is very bad, and the drinks are also highly priced for Mexican standards. Wifi connection is bad, and you have to upgrade it for $5usd a day to recieve a good connection, what a scam. We upgraded to a superior room so a 2day car rental was included, we made our reservations for the next morning, but in that morning they said it was rented out and they could not help us anymore. The service at the reception is very bad, they are not trying to help you.
Cozumel is a beautiful island, but you would enjoy it more at another hotel. I would not recommend you this hotel. We are hoping for a (little) cash back from our booker Expedia.

Room Tip: Standard room gives you a view of the tennis court or buildings. Superior room gives a you a view o...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RobbyKr
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 23 November 2012

This is an excellent small dive hotel and my third trip here!
I always stay in the cabanas which suit a group of friends travelling together perfectly! Two bathrooms and two stories with a bit of a kitchen, clean and comfortable.
Beds are solid (like most in this country) but I am fine with that.
And this hotel is very quiet at night for all of the divers that need a good sleep! That means no night life -- if that is your purpose I recommend that you stay elsewhere.
The restaurant is small with a basic adequate menu of good food ... You will know it quickly... And the staff are long term employees and friendly... Just ask if the cook gets something wrong on your order or if you want something done different. We usually had breakfast and lunch and headed to the town for dinner.
Town or the marina at Caleta (where our dive boat left from) are both 7-8$ US or 80-90 pesos per trip. There is only a corner store or the OXXO store for shopping so a trip to Mega store or Chedruai are required for other essentials and the shops in the main square for souvenirs... And dive shirts! There are many excellent dive shops and dive companies on the island, just do your research.
The hotel has a dive shop and a nice pier.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Serendipitea
Terrell, Texas
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I have stayed at Casa Del Mar at least 10 times and it is great. The staff is kind and goes out of their way to help you. The dining room is very nice and the food is good. My husband dives, so he loves the fact that they have their own dive shop just across the street. My sister and I went together this last time and they did everything they could to help us arrange all of our excursions and trips to town.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele B
Moodus, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I have been going to Cozumel off and on since 1985 , mostly to go diving . I have never committed to a dive package in the past because I did not want to be locked in to an operation I might not like after the first dive . A friend recommended I try Hotel Casa Del Mar , and to be honest I am glad I did . I initially stayed and dove in August , but I enjoyed myself so much I went back this October 19-26 . It is important to point out that this is the first time in 37 years that I have traveled and vacationed by myself.

Sandra from Casa Del Mar handled all my arrangement and requests , which for me made it very very easy . From the moment I stepped out of the taxi , I was made to feel like family , which for a single traveler , and not knowing anybody , helped a lot . When I asked about the dive package , Sandra recommended that , due to the iffy weather I purchased my diving on a daily basis , which made perfect sense to me , and was also a good value .

The condition of the grounds is addressed on a daily basis and are very well kept and clean . I stayed on the first floor and had a giant bed , plenty of hot water , cold air , tv , and a very well kept room .

During my stay I had a problem with my air conditioner , and happened to mentioned it in passing the front desk . I had been in my room about five minutes when a knock came at my door . It was the maintenance man who took care of the problem right away. The other issue I had was really funny . I do not knowingly consume caffeine because it makes me sick . So I only drink decaff coffee . One day at the restaurant I found out that they did not have decaff coffee . No big deal . The next morning I was walking by when the waitress grabs me and says Sandra went out and bought decaff just for you . Now that's customer service.

Had a great time , and am looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank richard w
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights on a quick trip to the Island. The staff was fantastic, efficient and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable for one - all in all a great place to stay while I was here diving. I did have lunch at the restaurant even though I should have known better but it was raining so...........my bad :(

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo