“Will be back to Casa del Mar.”

Casa del Mar Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Mexico
“Will be back to Casa del Mar.”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa del Mar last week for three nights. We were in a standard room (#202.) There was no balcony to hang our wet gear to dry on, which was kind of a drag, but there were hooks in the shower that sufficed. The view was of the tennis court and the jungle beyond. The beds were hard, as all beds are in Mexico apparently, but the pillows were awesome. Big overstuffed ones. There were even two extras in the closet! There is no safe in the room, but they have safety deposit boxes in the lobby for free use by guests. Also there is a computer with free internet access in the lobby. There is a pool with a swim up bar, but we never got in it, although it looked very clean and well maintained. Breakfast was included with our room everyday, and it was always good and they open early and are quick enough to grab something to eat before diving.
Our flight arrived at 9:40am, and clearing immigration was a breeze. After a short cab ride to the hotel, it was just after 10:30am and I thought there would be no way they'd let us check in that early but they did. We had reserved a room with a King size bed, but ended up with two doubles. It was really no big deal. We were just so happy to have a room and went right up and changed into wetsuits and took advantage of the free tank and weight use.
There is a small reef (about 25' deep) just off shore, and we saw abundant life every time we dove there. A few octopi, several eels, puffer fish and even a couple of friendly reef squid. The people at the dive shop, Del Mar Aquatics, were very nice and even left us tanks and weights outside after hours for a night dive. We booked one day of boat diving with them and the DM Mario was awesome. It was a very fun day, and more affordable than any dive op I've ever gone with.
We ate a couple of meals at surrounding restaurants, Ernestos and the Karaoke bar next door...the prices are so high though, and the food was just ok. We usually just got snacks at the OXXO, and one day took a cab to the MEGA to load up on beer and food we kept in a cheap cooler.
There's no night life to speak of anywhere near the hotel. We went for karaoke one night, and I was the only one who sang a song. My audience was the staff of the restaurant and my boyfriend. I guess the swine flu scare is still keeping people away, but I think my chances of contracting it are probably much higher here in Dallas. Apparently there have been no cases on Cozumel.
Anyway, Casa del Mar is definitely not a luxury hotel, but it is very well run, clean and comfortable. Overall it was a very good value and I will be back in the (hopefully near) future.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed at the Casa Del Mar the second week of March and was impressed! I think every time we walked into the hotel there were at least two people cleaning either the floors, doors, etc. This is not a luxury hotel, but it served our purpose very well, and was very well kept.

Very accomodating staff. Room was comfortable and clean. Our primary purpose for the trip was scuba diving. The hotel was located across the street from Del Mar Aquatics, who was the scuba outfitter we used. We saw many wet suits hanging from balconies so it must be a favorite of divers.

Nice pool area with a tiki swim up bar.

Food was adequate, nothing special, but good. Hotel is located within easy walking distance to many other attractions and is across the street from the ocean front. Had a nice view of the ocean from the room balcony.

Overall had a pleasant experience and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Islandgirl1234
Portsmouth, Ohio
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We enjoyed our 2nd stay at CDM. As my kids have gotten older (now 13 and 16 ) and take more junk on vacation we found the rooms/drawer space to be really cramped. Just did'nt have much space after dive gear gets unpacked. And only 2 of us dive. My biggest tip for divers is to make sure and get a room facing the pool/ocean --those have balconies to have a place to store/dry all the wet stuff. and that supplies a spot to just be able to get stuff out of the way.

Staff was fine. wi Fi only reaches the lobby area. Tennis Court is nice but for some reason they allow non guest to reserve the courts . We were cut short twice by "reservations" at 6pm.

If you can't tolerate a super hard bed just don't choose this place. I'm not too picky but these are slabs of ?? close to sleeping on the floor . The new beach area is nice across the street . shaded hammocks, tiki style huts. They will serve you food/drink over there also. Good chips/salsa/guacamole.
It's a reasonable priced place in a good location. Best for 2 people IMO. rooms are small for 4, esp if staying a week , there just isn't much storage.
We picked up a deal thru hotwire at 60 bucks a nights (plus 15 a night roll a away bed) so I certainly won't complain much. MD

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ManitouDan
New York
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My initial impression was just OK, bathroom lighting dim, slightly mildewy, tiny balcony with ocean view but also very ugly paintball yard! But the ambience of the place, the pretty garden and the special touches won us over. Just about everyone we spoke to were returning customers, they knew the staff by name and if we return we would stay here again. Our first night we were awakened by loud karaoke music but turned on AC after that and never heard it again. Not much of a beach across the bridge, more like a sandbox with palapas, we did not know about the hotels' beach club until I read it on this site. We rented a car and drove to Palancar which is one of the best beach days we've ever had, blue water, great food, peacocks, roosters, changing rooms, it was such a welcome find after the cruise ship destination beaches with their aggressive waiters and beach toys including dangerous wave runners in inexperienced hands. I would definitely return to casa del mar, it is a comfortable place and the creations Karina made with the towels was a source of delight, we didn't want to deconstruct the mermaid!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goaskalice
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This was my second trip to Casa Del Mar in Cozumel and was not let down at all! I love every thing about this place. Most of all the staff at Casa Del Mar really go above and beyond to make sure you are having a nice time and that your needs are being met. By the end of the 2nd day many of the staff knew me by name! That is just something you don't get at the large all inclusive type resorts.
The only teeny tiny down fall is that down town is an $8 cab ride away. 2 years ago it was $4 so I was a bit surprised when I heard the price...but heck you are on vacation so live it up!
I upgraded when I got there because I wanted a balcony or patio. I highly reccomend doing this... well worth the $15 a day!!
You won't be disapointed!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Pegster_1975
Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Stayed here for 2 weeks on the Full American Plan. I was a bit afraid we would tire of the menu after a week, but the food was great and a wide variety of choices so we seldom had the same thing twice. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and they would cook your fresh omelette while you wait.
Staff was friendly and always helpful. They knew you by name quickly and greeted you with a friendly hello.
Free internet in the lobby and wireless worked on first and second floor lobbies for those with laptops.
Pool was cool but refreshing, and the pool bar was an added treat. Hot tub was not hot except for a couple of times, but that was ok.
Loved the hammocks on the beach side, and the bridge across the road made it so convenient to spend time over there.
Dive boat picked our divers up right across the street.
Long walk to downtown but $8 got us a cab to town and shared 4 ways made it pretty inexpensive. Check out the lovely little Church in San Miguel.
Casa Del Mar is a great place for a laid back, holiday. Clean and attractive rooms and grounds. All rooms had balconies except the back standard rooms with views of tennis courts and parking lots. I advise booking the garden view with the balconies and partial ocean view.
Management goes out of their way to please guests. We will go back again for sure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank children6
ft. wayne in.
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Food is good, service is fine, management refuses to deal with problem issues. Loud music late in the evening, domestic poolside disputes, and, believe it or not, guests urinating off of their balconies onto the guests below were a bit of a problem. Various management seems to do their best at "passing the buck" and nothing gets resolved. The "spring break" atmosphere makes this hotel rather subpar, yet no one cares to deal with it. Even Apple Vacations was rather amazed at the lack of satisfaction we received and recommended just such a review. The Nachi Cocom was a pleasant surprise (their beach club); good food, service, etc. Overall, if management would stand up to the riffraff and deal with these unpleasant situaltions, we would have no complaint.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple