“Perfect hotel for divers”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This was my first time in Cozumel and loved every minute of it. The staff were extremely nice and friendly. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We had wifi in our room so using the computer was no problem. They also have wifi by the pool. The beds were very firm but I didn't have any back problems which was a concern. All the rooms have a/c and a balcony with bars and hooks to hang wet scuba gear and clothes. The pool is the biggest one on the island and is nice with plenty of lounge chairs. A word of warning though, once the sun goes down the mosquitoes come out with a vengeance so bring plenty of repellent! We had the all inclusive package which included food and drinks. The food is average. Anything you get off the grill (omelets in the morning and fish tacos for lunch) is hot and very good. The buffet food in the evening tends to be lukewarm at best. Dive Paradise is across the street and is a great dive shop. Is was nice to roll out of bed, eat breakfast then walk across the street to the dive boat. The diving is amazing! The hotel is near town so it's an easy walk if you don't want to rent a car. Overall, I was extremely happy with the hotel and staff and will definitely book there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,857)

Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was my first trip to Cozumel---Hotel Cozumel was a great hotel in terms of a beautiful pool area, wi fi pretty much everywhere on the property, it was close enough to the Square to walk and there was a DIVE PARADISE (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!!!) location right there! I'll also say that in terms of what to expect (or at least what I have experienced) in Mexico or other places that have a heavy draw of divers, it would be considered a REALLY NICE PLACE. And I was there to dive....

I went with the all inclusive plan...the food was not so great: potato tacos for breakfast? How about re-fried beans? I ended up with a little box of cereal and a banana every morning. The quality,variety and preparation of food was really lacking. The good news was that I could grab something to eat as soon as I got off the boat from diving, the bad news was it was usually french fries, tomato and cucumber slices and/or some tortilla chips with fake cheese. Everything else was either TOO heavy, had been overcooked or on the buffet too long (attempts at steamed veggies, for instance), was too spicy (I get that I was in Mexico) or was on the buffet every day. Though, there was the perk of being able to get a margarita any time I wanted... I ended up going out to dinner every night (which was a really good thing--there are some amazing restaurants there).
The pool area is lovely, but I found that the only time I was down there was at night when I was sending emails or uploading pics from the day. I've heard from others that another detractor is the 'activity announcements' which are LOUD---there were a few in the afternoons I was there and some music a couple of nights (they stop at 10p), but I was gone long before the activities of the day started (9a, I think)...I would have been a smidge irritated if I was awakened by "Bingo starts in 10 minutes!" every morning.
I hung out on the ocean side in the afternoons--although there is no 'beach' per say, the view is awesome, there are plenty of shady places to sit (and sunny too) and there's almost always a breeze--and its quieter (wi fi doesn't extend to the ocean side, unfortunately). You can read, nap or watch the boats as they pass by. That was my favorite place to hang out.

In short, I'm not at all bummed I stayed there (it was a great hotel for a single traveler, diver and first time visitor to the Island)--but now that I know the lay of the land a little bit in terms of restaurants and what to expect, I'll be staying elsewhere (and definitely going sans 'all inclusive') when I go back in January.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank BHIgirl
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I just returned from my fifth trip to hotel cozumel this year. As always great people and good food. There is always someone there to cook up fresh omelettes in the morning and at the grill in the afternoons. i wasn't able to dive as much this trip for medical reasons so i spent more time than usual at the hotel. Fernando at the bellhop stand and hector at the front desk were great as always. If your looking for a great place at a great price here it is. Will be back in november.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank okdiverokc
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Been diving in Cozumel for about 12 years now. Stayed in Villas, Downtown Hotels, All Inclusivies, and boutiques. Hotel Cozumel is the perfect blend for me. Clean, Spacious, Nice Architecture, not to mention a huge pool. Staff is friendly, offering you everything you could need or want without being pushy. Will definetly be back for diving, the underground tunnel to the pier every morning is great. Of course the buffett style food is not for everyone, but we found that the hotel is the perfect distance to walk home to after a filling meal at one of Cozumels many great restaurants!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyle B
Reviewed 13 September 2012

After several stays at El Cozumeleno on Cozumel, we tried another resort. We were traveling with friends, many of which were divers. This was their favorite place, so we gave it a chance. We encountered a small problem at check in but it was rectified quickly. Our room, though small, was great. We had a great view of the large pool. The staff was great and the facilities were kept very clean. We left a cursory tip for the maid and our room was kept immaculate. The food was on the whole about average for AI. The breakfast was the best, serving omelets or eggs any way you wanted. Drinks were plentiful with several US liquors and some good wines. Probably won't try this one again.

Room Tip: Not sure on this one. I sent a request through the booking agent, but it did not transferred comple...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dirtroad
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is our 10th time at this hotel, but the first time that we bring family. My husband and I are divers and just enjoy the location and the flexibility that this hotel provides to all its guests. This is the first time that other family members have joined us, and we were not sure what to expect. Ages ranged from 27 to 81 years old-- and our niece was 6 months pregnant!! Everyone had a TERRIFIC time!!
Breakfast was a hit! We just love those omelets. Even those who didn't usually eat breakfast got up to join the group. Lunch was usually eaten at the pool snack bar. Love those taquitos (fish, beef, and chicken) All were delish!! We also loved the fresh pico de gallo salsa, the guacamole, and the nachos topped with jalapenos! A few of us also would go over to the beach restaurant and check out the soup of the day! All the cream soups were excellent! Dinner was pretty good too. Even the picky eaters of the group found something they liked from the buffet line. Don't forget to get the ice cream. Yummy! As for drinks, most of us are beer drinkers and we really enjoyed XX draft beer. When we were at the pool, waiters never let our glass go dry! Even though some of us were hydrating with water, the friendly waiters would pass by and fill up! Thank you guys:) We stopped a few times at the bar too. Tried other drinks like pina coladas or just scotch on the rocks. Again everything was great! The bartenders were always ready to serve:)
We also enjoyed the entertainment. The staff puts in a lot of hard work and time into their shows. They do a fantastic job! They coordinate different activities during the day like snorkeling lessons, dance (salsa) classes, water aerobics; very few people take advantage of these. One of our family members took a snorkeling lesson and had a private session. She never had done this, but loved the experience! We were happy to see that, being that we love the Cozumel waters! Our nighttime entertainment included Trivia night, Mexican night, Caribbean night and karaoke night. Trivia night was a blast! We had 3 winners from our party! Mexican night we had a runner up and on Caribbean night we had our pregnant niece and her husband win the dance contest! I'm sorry more people don't participate since you can really have a fun time. Karaoke night was very entertaining. There was a woman from New York and she had a beautiful voice. Of course our singers included my nephew and his wife and they did an awesome job of "La Vida Loca":) We feel the entertainment staff doesn’t always get the appreciation they deserve.
As for the rooms, we all found them to be comfortable and very clean. Yes, the beds are firm, but my sleep was great. The AC was nice and cold in everybody’s room. We did have a problem in our room where the AC froze, but they moved us into another room.
Hotel Cozumel Resort does not necessarily have the most elegant or largest accommodations. However, for those of us that have stayed here over the years, it offers a very appealing place to stay. It is a friendly and cozy environment with great staff which made our stay very memorable and enjoyable! Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Cozumel & Resort!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank EdandGerry
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Date of trip - Aug 25 - Sept 1 2012
Hotel Cozumel and Resort is an average resort. I stayed at this resort 5 years ago and not much has changed. The rooms are clean but could stand to be updated. The food is poor at best. The staff was very friendly and helpful but the resort itself needs to be overhauled. \
This resort uses Dive Paradise as their dive operator. I will never use this company again. Please refer to Trip Advisor Dive Paradise for my review.

Find somewhere else to stay. This resort is not worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple