“Second stay at Hotel Cozumel”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Broomfield, Colorado
“Second stay at Hotel Cozumel”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Very convenient for divers as well as anyone else. All inclusive. The omelets at breakfast are wonderful and I love the "green drink". They have a huge pool and a dive shop connected by a tunnel under the street. The beach area is man made with a sea wall and lunch is served on the beach side as well by the pool area. The rooms are basic with plenty of hooks to hang wet gear outside on the balcony. The beds are a little hard. The pool side rooms are quieter then the street side, that is after the evening shows are over. Dinner had a great pasta bar and a different main meat every night. Rooms are very clean and air conditioned. For an all inclusive resort this was very affordable and we didn't feel like we had to eat there every night. The resort is within walking distance to many restaurants, shops and the square. Being a diver, this is the best place to stay. I will be back.

Room Tip: Pool side is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Shapleigh, Maine
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Several years ago, my wife and I began traveling to Cozumel for vacations. We have been coming to the island for almost twenty-five years. This year, we wanted to have more of our family join us for the second week of our vacation, wanted all-inclusive and at a decent price. We found that at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. Although neither of us scuba dives, we return to the island because of the people, the culture and the wonderful friends we have made, through Rotary. Each year, we have the pleasure of dining out with many of our friends, and seeing ow their families have grown, seeing how their businesses have grown and prospered and returning to the "haunts" of years past.
This year, when making our reservations, I spoke with the hotel manager and inquired about a young man who had been particularly caring and solicitous of my mother who used to travel with us. The last time we stayed at this facility, it was known as La Fiesta Inn and the bellboy was named Rudi. I asked if she had ever heard of him, and she said not only had she heard of him, but that Rudi was now the manager of the warehouse and also the assistant night manager! Wow! We were so pleased and wondered if perhaps he might remember my mother.
We arrived in Cozumel on the 15th of March to be staying here for two weeks. Friends met us at the airport and even the chief agent of United Airlines, Daly Negron, remembered us and was glad to see us.
The hotel had not changed a great deal and could use a hit of sprucing up. However, almost without exception, the people staying here were so pleased with the facilities and the staff, to say nothing of the Dive Paradise business across the street. Although the dining room (restaurant) in the hotel could use a total makeover, by and large, the staff is very accommodating, especially the wait staff (NOT some of the managers). The servers are the ones we get to see every meal, every day, and it is they who make the stay so very pleasant. Allowed to do their jobs, without interference, the servers would do a fantastic job and certainly do NOT need to be spoken of as "just waiters". The dining room tables are decorated with old, tired garish colored fake roses in plant pots. These and the hanging baskets should be replaced with LIVE hanging plants, with a simple glass or small vase of LIVE leaves on each table. The chairs are abysmal and need replacement.
The pools are more than ample for the guests, as well as the beach, although new entry steps into the ocean would be a great improvement.
WiFi connection is "sketchy" at best and that seems to be the biggest and most consistent complaint from guests. Offer a stronger connection or have direct access.
This should be a top-rated hotel/resort and I would highly recommend that you try it out. Memories can be created here and re-created as well.

Room Tip: Make sure when taking a taxi from here, that you establish your rate BEFORE you get into the cab.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hotel Cozumel costs are very affordable because it is an all inclusive hotel and resort. The food is very good although they can improve the variety of the buffets. I bought the room and diving package and the service was very good since the hotel has all the facilities for this sport. The island of Cozumel is a paradise and the beach is really beautiful with a crystalline sea. The price to quality relationship is reasonable. The service was very good, the pool is very large and the all inclusive package is very comfortable since you do not have to worry about anything else. Except of course going clubbing and SHOPPING. We went to Carlos and Charlie's and had a SUPER time. Don't forget to buy some of the local crafts and have fun as you bargain and get some real deals; the locals are truly friendly!! I highly recommend Hotel Cozumel for diving and just enjoying some authentic Mexican hospitality. Although, in our room we could begin to hear the sound of cars early in the morning. You can't have it all, LOL

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the main street unless you're an early riser.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was our first stay for my dive buddy and me at Hotel Cozumel. We had adjoining rooms on the ground level. I had two double beds and she had a king. We both thought the rooms were spacious and beds comfortable. The bathroom has a sink in the outside section and toilet/tub & shower behind a closed door. The shower was strong with plenty of hot water. The tub tile was fairly new, as was the rounded shower curtain bar and shower curtain.

The room had a table with a chair, dresser with six ample drawers, and a TV. The night stand between my beds had a drawer and storage below. There is a closet opposite the sink with plenty of room for hanging clothes. There is a small covered balcony with two chairs and a small table. There are pegs and two large bars for wet suits or dive equipment. Nice touch!

The room is equipped with air conditioning that is relatively quiet. You control the AC. I rarely used it during my stay as it wasn't that hot. I needed it more for the humidity rather than the heat.

I was pleasantly surprised by the food and drinks. I'm not a fan of all inclusives, but very glad I took that option. Fresh fruit every morning and at lunch. Yogurts, breads, cereals, eggs, meats - lot's of choices! Lunch was served on the ocean side, next to the dive shop, which was great. There is food and drinks available from 6:30 AM to 10:30 PM daily. You won't go hungry or thirsty.

Some things I would change at Hotel Cozumel are the loud music played all day poolside and the endless announcements of poolside activities. During poolside activities they "broadcast" each play by play. Obnoxious. I chose to spend my days on the quieter beach side to swim/snorkel in the ocean. Which brings me to another thing I would alter. Almost daily, there are afternoon open air "classes" for cruise ship patrons near ocean side dining. For 2 - 3 hours, dance lessons and cooking demos are "broadcast." Again - obnoxious and inconsiderate for guests who pay to stay at Hotel Cozumel. Once or twice is OK - but every day? UGH. PLEASE tone it down!

Besides that, the value, food and location is very good. It is an older resort, but clean and well maintained. The staff go out of their way to make you feel special. So please, tip your wait staff every meal. A buck or two goes a long way to say that you appreciate their efforts. And please make sure you leave tips for housekeeping, too. Your generosity is appreciated by the staff.

Room Tip: I had room 1032 and it was quiet and convenient. Take the tunnel to lunch and the dive shop.
Houston
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We have been diving at Cozumel for more than 20 years. For 12 of those years we have stayed at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, and we love it. This hotel is perfect for divers. Their rooms are large and comfy and perfect for divers. Every room has a balcony for wet dive equipment. In addition, there is a tunnel to the dive pier. Dive Paradise is onsite at the pier. Also, diving off the hotel's pier is great shore diving. Perhaps the best feature of Hotel Cozumel is the buffet breakfast. They offer made-to-order omlets, fruits, breads, meats, sweat bread, juice, and anything else you could want for breakfast. We are planning on returning to Cozumel this summer, and we will definitely stay at Hotel Cozumel and Resort.

Room Tip: We like to stay on the first floor so that we do not have to lug dive equipment upstairs even though...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Over the past 5 years my wife and I have visited this hotel about 2 times a year. We have always booked the European Plan through a 3rd party website. The European Plan has always included breakfast. We were very surprised to find out that Hotel Cozumel changed their policies and the only way to get breakfast included is to book with their website. We only found out about this when we checked in. However, I do need to thank Hotel Cozumel because without the surprise policy change my wife and I would have never ventured out and tried different places for breakfast. We tried a few different places for breakfast that offered a far better meal for a better value! We ate breakfast at Prima, Rock Java and Jeanne’s. All were much better than Hotel Cozumel and they were not the previous night’s leftovers like Hotel Cozumel tends to serve. Plus the breakfast was hot, fresh made and the coffee was awesome.

Over our many stays there we have had many meals, mostly breakfast, several lunches and some dinners. Breakfast by far was the best of the 3, then lunch and last dinner. Overall the food is very poor quality. It is mainly buffet style and most of the time the food is lukewarm at best. I would suggest to only using this as a place to sleep, however the beds are very uncomfortable. The all inclusive is not worth it. You can easily walk to better places to eat and drink. Plus you can purchase adult beverages at the local grocery store much cheaper. I will advise that if you do not get the all inclusive, you are pretty much invisible to the staff. I don’t understand why, because I would think the non all inclusive guests would tip better, which we tend to do.

We also noticed a change in the quality of the amenities. In the hotel room, they only gave us one small bar of soap and a tiny bottle of shampoo. Then the rooms no longer have the floor lamps or lamps on the dressers. The rooms were not well illuminated unless the sun was out. For those fellow divers, sometimes we need that extra light for log book writing, working with our equipment or even more important…making sure we have clean o-rings for our camera housings.

There are many other places to stay on the island and we visited a few that we intend to stay at for future trips.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel. There are no "good" rooms at this hotel.
2 Thank JoeTheDiver

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed with a dive group 3/9-13/13. The hotel was part of a package, not selected personally. The place was very clean throughout (grounds, lobby, rooms, halls, pool-area). Good service in the restaurant and cleaning the room. The pool-side bar service was under-staffed (one or two people working, and generally only one of them in direct customer contact). The hotel was very convenient to the dive boat arranged (across the street). They even have a diver operation 'on-site' (that being across the street by their cafe). The food was plentiful with lots of selections, but a bit boring.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family