“Wonderful Hotel and Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cozumel and Resort

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Ames, Iowa
“Wonderful Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 19 days for our wedding and honeymoon in Cozumel. I absolutely loved it. The staff was absolutely incredible. Enrique, the manager, planned our wedding, which was on the beach that was attached to the hotel. He was a dream to work with. He made everything so easy and the wedding was flawless. The wedding package came with a romantic dinner on the gazebo for the two of us, and we had one chef, Roberto, and one waiter, Antonio, and they were absolutely outstanding. Everyone on staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make our trip wonderful.
The hotel itself is very nice, and the suites are wonderful. I loved the huge pool, and their beach across the street has wonderful snorkeling. We had some of our guests stay in another hotel and they were very impressed with the snorkeling outside of our hotel. The restaurants and buffets had great food, and I was always happy with our meals.
We are very active, and the location of the hotel was perfect for us. It's right on the edge of the busy part of town, so you don't have near as much traffic and business as the hotels like the Palace. You have easy access to everything on the island. We rented a car, but they also have a taxi port to make it easy to get anywhere.
I will definitely be returning to Cozumel and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I loved the place and the people, and my trip was outstanding. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite with an ocean view and it was outstanding. Some of our group stayed in t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

This has been our third trip back to Hotel Cozumel in 2 years. Every time it has been just wonderful. The food is decent, the staff is fun and friendly, great pool, clean rooms, and easy access to shore and boat dives! Walking distance to downtown as well! Will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had a great stay here for a mini anniversary trip! We stayed 3 days / 2 nights. Prices were great for an all-inclusive resort. Our room was beautiful. I'm usually picky about hotel rooms b/c I travel so much for work and stay in so many hotels and definitely know what to look for at hotels. This room was clean and comfortable. Loved the netting on the bed. Very romantic. The hotel is a short distance from downtown and the ferry, and they help you with any day trips you want to book which was nice. Cabs from the hotel to downtown were about $7 or you can take the ferry for $12. The food that's included with the resort is the buffet. Not the greatest food selection but great when you want a quick bite. Hotel staff were quick and friendly. We'll definitely come back for a longer stay!

Covina, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Actually I would give it 3.5 star
Was here in June 2013. Quiet season as it was mostly empty. Was told was more crowded around Dec.Good hotel about a 10-15 min walk from the downtown / ferry (to Playa del Carmen) area. Room with double bed was spacious and all seem to have there own balcony with privacy screens. Ocean view room give you that, however there is a street and buildings (1story) between the hotel and ocean. So don't expect to be staring across the sand to the water.

In the hall way are water coolers with "drinkable" water.

Staff was friendly and quick with the drinks. All inclusive is buffet style food, though semi limited selection. Hotel has 2 restaurants. One on main premises, the other across the street that you can take an under ground walking tunnel to.
The concierge was friendly and helpful in helping to arrange say trips. If you book multi trips at once. maybe able to work prices down.
Side note:
There are 2 markets about 10 min North of hotel. Prices ($US) from the hotel and others items for travelers are roughly:
7$ / taxi (car load) from hotel to town)
12$ ferry ea way

Don't get suckered by brown shirts in the terminal outside customs

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I I want to voice a complaint about my last stay at Hotel Cozumel Resort on July 18th. I have been staying at HCR for the last 12 years because they are directly across the street from Dive Paradise. Generally I have had no complaints.

However, on my last stay on July 18 the front desk processed six charges for my room on two seperate credit cards. They kept telling me that the cards were no good and I ended up having to pay cash on the day of my check out.

All six of the charges posted to my bank. I have received four credits but there are still two charges that have not been refunded. I talking with the receptionist and they referred me to Rauel Becerril (accounting), I have left messages with him and sent him several emails. I have yet to receive a reply from him.

I am very frustrated and will never stay at this hotel again. I don't know if this is a common practice at HCR but as a business owner I know that it is very easy to issue a refund\credit for overcharges.

I hope no one else has had this problem...it is extremely frustrating that I had to paid three times for my room.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank namrreh

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Temple City, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

I got this hotel through living social for a great deal so I did take that into consideration. First of all, hotel is pretty old. I paid extra for ocean view and their IDE of that is the balcony facing the street, a building in front, then beyond that is a sliver of water that you can see from the balcony. When I saw our room after a long fligh, I went online trying to see whether we can find another hotel...but we stuck through it. I asked the front desk whether we can get upgraded to a jr. Suite. they said okay for $50extra per night. I was willing to pay for that but when I saw the room, I changed my mind. it was the same exact room except bigger. TV had only 5channels and 2 are in Spanish. Internet is free but hardly worked during the time I was there. had to sit in lobby to email work. room was very basic....looked clean...but really ugly! I was kind of grosed out at first but after looking around....it was pretty clean and want to make the best of it.

On a positive note, staff are very nice. We got all inclusive and the food was edible...which was a surprise to me. Pool area is just okay. I didn't find it inviting....didn't swim there. I think this place caters to divers....nothing luxurious. I would recommend renting a car and exploring the island. I would never come back to this hotel...would rather pay a little more for a nicer place. Pictures from the Internet is at least 10 yrs old and are extremely deceiving.

Room Tip: Do not waste money on ocean front.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jenndls
Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I haven't stayed at the Hotel Cozumel since 2007, and was very pleasantly surprised during my recent stay, 7/4 - 7/8. The hotel rooms have been upgraded. If you're looking for a five-star property, this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking for a clean, well-located property with FREE WI-FI, this is it.

We booked this trip one week prior to departure and were pleasantly surprised at the deal we got with Fun Jet Vacations, which uses the charter carrier, Sun Country Airlines.

We upgraded to an ocean-view room which was a very wise decision since we are scuba divers. The ocean-view rooms are closest to the lobby and front of the hotel, which makes for a quick walk through the tunnel to the beach and the dive shop. We dived with the house shop, Paradise Divers.

We had an all-inclusive package, but since we're very familiar with Cozumel and love eating at local restaurants, we used our package for cocktails, breakfast and lunch only.

Hotel Cozumel is located about a half-hour walk to the main part of the island, San Miguel, the hub of the island.

The hotel and restaurants were all slow this time of year; apparently July is low season/hurricane season, so the resort was only at about 1/3 occupancy, and the restaurants in town were not packed. We ate dinner once at Hotel Cozumel's buffet. It was just OK. Nothing was a standout. The pasta bar was good. The air conditioning in our room worked flawlessly. In fact, we had to make it warmer because it worked so efficiently. That's a blessing in Cozumel's humid environment.

As divers, we wanted the convenience of an all-inclusive property so we could eat breakfast before boarding the dive boats, and in turn have lunch on the property when we returned from the morning's dives. The breakfasts are buffet style with a chef making eggs/omelets cooked to order. A nice variety of fruits and breads were offered. The staff was very accommodating, even when I asked for bottled water without ice, which wasn't on the buffet.

We ate lunch at the poolside snack bar - tacos/quesadillas, snack food. Again, simple but decent, and convenient. It was nice to have a post-dive cocktail. If you order a "brand" tequila, it is not included in your all-inclusive plan.

The staff throughout the property, as they are in most of Cozumel, are extremely friendly and helpful.

The hotel has large bottled water dispensers on each floor of the hotel, so you can fill your own glasses/mug with potable drinking water. That's a nice touch. The wi-fi was free and worked well. I realize that a vacation is to get away from it all, but I had a business transaction going on stateside that required accessibility, so this was a great bonus to have, and at no charge.

It's not the Ritz, but it is not intended to be. I plan to stay there again on my next trip to Cozumel, which will be my 18th trip there!!!

I have never had a bad experience on the island, whether it be food, accommodations, staff, etc. It's one of my favorite places in the whole world.

Room Tip: If you are a diver and don't want a long schlep to the dock with your dive gear, select an ocean...