“comfortable and quiet place to sleep”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“comfortable and quiet place to sleep”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have stayed at a couple other hotels in Cozumel that rank in the same price range as this hotel. I have found that Hotel Cozumel and Resort offers consistency with cleanliness, service and convenience. Just a short mile south of the San Miguel Pier this hotel is close enough to the square but yet just far enough to keep things quiet for a restful night. The beach is just across the street and the snorkeling from the beach is beyond awesome. There is also a dock and dive operation associated with this hotel. If you have breakfast at the hotel, you must let Berta make you an omlet; she is the best. We have stayed here several times and recognize a lot of the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bonnie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Chester, California
Reviewed 22 November 2013

From the moment we checked in, we were welcomed with open arms and a Blue Hawaiian. We got an early check in and king bed as requested, no waiting. Calling ahead does help. We had a fruit basket in the room as welcome surprise and a beautiful bouquet of tropical flowers, (perhaps they know this was our 3rd year back!) Rooms are very clean, AC works great. No issues with dive gear hanging around balcony, pool,etc to dry. Wait staff around pool is awesome, and had some great pool volleyball games. My only reason for not giving 5 circles is because after 16 days the food becomes a little monotonous. Very repetitive and not much variety. Quality is good, love the green juice in the morning before diving. After so many days did need to go out to dinner (lobster/bacon sandwich....yum!) a few times but great quality and service. We will be back next year.

3 Thank ShelDiver
Ohio
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was a SPECTACULAR place for us and can't wait for our next visit. The staff, food and drinks: incredible. But, this place may not be for some.

This is not the place to stay for those who want a long sandy beach, pristine ocean views and food thrown away so guests won't get offended to get broccoli one night, then broccoli soup the next. It's an Island with a jungle that covers half of it. Most everything has to be imported, and not every day. Plus, these hard-working employees make less than $200 a week, have 12 or 16 hour shifts, have one day off, and a one week vacation. I'd say that the 'rude, picky Americanos' should stay far away and shell out the extra money to get the treatment they think they deserve. I write this after I've read some reviews and I am embarrassed at the "Gringo Mal" stereotype that they exhume.

This IS the place to stay for those who want fantastic, and sincerely warm service from real people who work their hardest to keep you happy in a SPOTLESS clean atmosphere. This was the BEST STAFF we've encountered ANYWHERE. The WONDERFUL STAFF MADE OUR STAY SPECTACULAR.

This is not a 5 star resort, so those who wanted a good deal and expect fake royal treatment should spend more for that. Us dive folk love the down to earth, but EXCELLENT service.

From my opening statements, I'll start from there. This place is close to town. Having stayed in Coz twice and having stayed this time with 9 other divers, and met 3 other couples (two international) who have been there more than 10 times, there are no 'natural' beaches for any resorts near town. This island is just not built that way. Like most resorts in this area (except the more expensive ones), they are built on the other side of the main, busy road. But, even the higher end places on the water close to town will still have a 'man made' beach area. Personally, I felt that the beach area for Hotel Cozumel / Dive Paradise was beautiful! Lots of relaxing chairs, a big place for shade, open bar for the all-inclusives, lunch nearby in the busier seasons (it was closed when we were there), and, according to new snorkeling friends, cool stuff to see. Those who want the 'luxury' resort experience can get it more south on the island. The beaches are breathtaking! But, you will pay extra, and will have to pay for a taxi to go into town if you want to, or pay more to get to and from the airport.

An ocean view is not recommended,unless perhaps you get the top floor, will mean a view and the SOUND of the traffic on the busy road in front of you, and possible a cruise ship or two or a freighter in view. I'd only recommend an ocean view if you are staying on the top floor, but you will still see the street and many other buildings. We LOVED our pool view room. We could hardly see the pool - we just saw lovely palm trees in front of us - quite enough to make us Ohioans happy to see something beautiful and tropical in November instead of leafless trees and snow.

We can't emphasize the professionalism and friendliness of the staff enough. They were all fantastic! The entire place was SPOTLESS. From 6 am (and probably before that) and beyond, we saw cleaning staff everywhere. Our room was spotless everyday with pristine sheets on our beds, along with flowers and the adorable towel animals. As a veteran of the service industry, I know how hard it is for housekeeping to do all that is necessary for each room and still keep on schedule. Please consider tipping them at least $5 or 50-70 pesos per day. They deserve it.

As for the rest of the staff, we DID feel like we were treated by top-notch service. We were highly grateful. For the first day, we gave $5 to the outside bar, $5 to the inside lounge, $5 to the grill master on the outdoor grill, $5 for the breakfast and dinner crew (including the omelette maker or carver for dinner) and $5 to the front desk, and $5 for the front desk member who took our bags and gave us a fine orientation of the room. It was $30 well spent. For the rest of our days we got top notch service and attention. The friendly and sincere staff quickly learned our names. Throughout our stay, we gave $1 for every meal, and $1 to the bartender and $1 to the wait staff bringing our drinks, wether it was Coca-Cola or a margarita for their shift. The staff made our stay delightful and a warm, special experience. We also gave $1-$5 on our last day. Some, especially the lovely Maria on the wait staff, Cornelio and Daniel on the Bar staff, and Jose on the late night lounge staff were very enthusiastic and helpful in my quest to learn more Spanish. They helped me so much, and I did not feel silly asking questions. I wish I could remember the names of the other two bartenders by the pool - the one who taught me the Spanish word for a screwdriver (destornillador), and the fine young, enthusiastic gentleman in training who was just beaming with smiles and kindness. The entertainment crew was also stellar. We liked that they were not pushy like an all-inclusive I went to in the Bahamas, but they were enthusiastic and met with guests even after the scheduled activities were done. Alonso, his friend, and the lovely female were wonderful ( wish I could remember the other names). Everyone on the breakfast and dinner staff was stellar. My heart especially goes to the sweet man, Javier who managed the door during breakfast. He made sure I smiled each time I saw him. It was easy with his kindness. I called him my abuelo nuevo, my new grandpa - as he pulled a few tricks and jokes on me as my beloved grandpa did. It was a joy to see his smiling face each morning, and was a wonderful start to a wonderful day. My husband couldn't help but smile, too. We love Javier. We love each and every staff member we encountered. We are still telling our family and friends about the excellent staff and how they must see them for themselves.

As for the food, we thought it was fantastic. We loved the variety. There were always different Mexican dishes, and there were always American traditional favorites, like pancakes in the morning or pasta with marinara or alfredo sauce for dinner. For breakfast, there was always a fresh loaf of bread to slice or regular bread for toast. Then, there's a salad, fruit and cold deli bar with fresh ham and cheese. I ate fresh, delicious banana, papaya, pineapple and watermelon every morning. (same as for dinner, but with more salad options, including shrimp salads and ceviche). The omelette chef will make your eggs any way you like, or make you an incredible omelette, even with spicy chorizo. Pancakes and delicious pastries everyday. Once in the week I had fantastic French Toast. We also enjoyed mini ham and cheese burritos and hash browns. For dinner, there is always a carving chef. Twice, I had the most tender pork with a succulent gravy. I didn't even have to use my knife. The gravy was similar to what we have at home, just a bit different. I found NO offense to having some of the best roasted pork I've ever had, then the next night seeing cubed pork simmered in peppers and a savory red sauce, which was also divine. I actually admired that this place doesn't waste food. I don't in my home, and I'm guessing neither do real Mexicans.

I am a bit offended by those who gave bad reviews because the food was 'recycled.' I'm guessing those have never worked in a restaurant and know the real story played out in ALL restaurants - businesses whose food costs are a top priority. I guess that perhaps some restaurants do throw everything out and start new every day, but I doubt it. I wouldn't eat at one of those places, anyway. Most of us go to restaurants and order one meal only, and never think to notice that the soup may be from the leftover veggies from the night before. I saw food 'recycled' at each restaurant and one hotel I worked at. If anyone thinks their Red Lobster 'Lobster Bisque' come from fresh lobster brought in only to make the soup is really in the dark. It's those who go to an all-inclusive who sees that roasted pork one night becomes a wonderful stew the next (which does taste better the next day due to the marrying of seasonings), or fresh steamed broccoli (which is not native to Cozumel) is turned into a delicious broccoli cheese soup the next.
And, for those who are offended at 'recycled' food or 'leftovers,' don't ever order from the 'specials' at any restaurant in America or anywhere, especially on a Sunday or Monday. "Specials" at the highest end restaurants in the States are the old fish or old food they are trying to get rid of so they don't waste money. It will usually be with a 'delectable' sauce that will cover up the smell of the old fish or fancy-up a piece of 3 day-old meat in the States, and be charged extra for being a special and because they have already or may loose food cost on it. Anyone who gripes about 'recycled food' here, in this economy, should have more than enough money to spend to be impressed by a higher end resort selling you how good the 'specials' are for double the cost, or, be happy with at least 10 different choices to have for dinner, or, a wonderful saucy, true mexican creation over rice, and you saw how tender the pork was the night before.

This was our first time here and we will definitely be back. We got great to mediocre service at restaurants in Bonaire, where we have family and a free place to stay, but we don't have the the TOP NOTCH service or VALUE we got staying at the all inclusive Hotel Cozumel. We've never stayed at a 'high end' place, and don't need to - not with the fantastic staff and great food Hotel Cozumel provides. We also have good dive friends from around the world who have stayed here multiple times. We look forward to seeing them, and the great staff again.

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep your great rates, and we WILL be back.

Stayed Nov 8-15 2013

Room Tip: Please consider bringing lots of $1 and $5 bills for tips (at least 50-60). Money conversion isn...
11 Thank TheScubaLyons
florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

just spent another10 days here and this our 12th year staying here---very happy with the hotel--it improves every year---pool good -beach good (man-made)--location for walk to town and local stores is great---food is fine with good variety---haven't dove for a few years but always was good with dive paradise---hotel staff very friendly---beds can be firm---good ac and hot water--rooms kept very clean---we do the all-inclusive because of the ease and the incredible value---really where can you stay with all food--beverages including cocktails--full use of hotel activities--and gratuity included for their price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billybbbb
CozumelResortSales, Director of Sales at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you so very much for your valuable and continued preference. We are so pleased to have happy repetitive guests like you! Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are looking forward to have you with us again soon!
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is my second stay at HC and I loved it more than the first time. The food has improved greatly. Everything off the grill is delicious and this time the buffet items were hot and good. It's conveniently located within walking distance of two grocery stores and downtown. Dive Paradise is right across the street so you roll out of bed, eat breakfast, grab your gear and cross the street to your awaiting dive boat. Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Not a fancy hotel but very comfortable with wifi in the rooms, lobby and pool area. Beds are a little hard but not terribly uncomfortable. Great dive hotel.

1 Thank DixieDiveChick
CozumelResortSales, Director of Sales at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you so very much for your kind review and for sharing your great dive vacation with the Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy that you have had a great stay with us. We hope you come back soon!
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel if you are planning a dive vacation. It is right across the street from Dive Paradise who is their Dive OP. The rooms are nice but the walls are a little thin. It is a good idea to ask for a mattress pad as our mattress was shot. The pad made it very comfortable once they cut it to size. The staff is fantastic and always aim to please. Breakfast and lunch are good however, dinner is a different story. My suggestion is to go with the All Inclusive and plan to venture out for dinner. Cozumel is very safe to walk around. This is a very affordable hotel that allows you to put your money towards your activity, diving. We will be back to this resort.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review and for sharing your dive vacation with the Trip Advisor readers. We are so pleased you have had a great diving vacation with us. We hope you come back soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Good hotel for the dive group, Dive Paradise In house dive shop, fair dive shop but we were forced to take a cattle boat when we reqested a small boat(as advertized) they claim had to be at least 5 divers, nothing In their advertizing stated this requiterment??see other comments below

Room Tip: Hotel Is rather old, try ground floor, but still a maze and a long walk to and from room..hotel is...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mal p
Thank you for your feedback on the Dive Shop on the premises. I've forwarded them your review so they can take care of it accordingly. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor readers. We truly hope we can have you back soon.