“Great "Smaller" Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great "Smaller" Hotel”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

It is not really small, it just feels like that with the well designed site and the friendliness of the staff and guests. It is a short, 15-20 minute, walk to the square. In foreign countries we prefer a less expensive place closer to the local scene rather than an isolated luxury hotel. Hotel Cozumel is a great balance. The pool area is rarely matched, and snorkling or lounging on the sand on the beach side is great. All the staff are friendly and attentive. Many guests come back regularly. The food at dinner is often not exciting; beef in Mexico rarely meets American standards and they usually chop up chicken so I can't easily find white meat.We ate in town twice. But their cleaning standards are high and I have not met anyone in 15 trips who got sick. We find the place very relaxing and pleasant. It is the kind of place we like.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank docfrank2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I went with my dive club to Cozumel and stayed at the Hotel Cozumel. The rooms were clean with good AC. The balcony overlooked the pool and was a great place to dry out the dive gear. To go diving all you had to do was walk across or under the street. It was all inclusive and the food and drink was good. They were very generous with the drinks. The food at night could have been better, but I did enjoy a very moistfull turkey and fish. They even had entertainment by the pool all day and evening.

Washington DC
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my third and last visit. The location is convenient for a walk into town, and you're going to want to go to town to get a nice meal. I got sick with an intestinal malady despite drinking only bottled water but eating, up to getting sick, only the hotel's food. My friend noticed that the cook used the same tongs to place raw chicken on the grill and to remove it. Coincidence?
The hotel room has a safe. Losing the key cost me $150 USD. A worker inserted a screw into the lock on the safe, wiggled and tapped it a few times, and it popped open. He was in and out of my room in under 5 minutes. The removed lock assembly didn't even look damaged. The $150 charge seemed clearly excessive but the hotel insisted on it. Being ill for 2 1/2 days made me miss 7 dives in the dive package offered by the hotel's dive operation. I felt better by Friday and asked to dive that morning. But the dive operator wanted $74. He politely but firmly refused to give any credit for the lost dives because I hadn't given notice the night before -- but that notice requirement was news to me, and, anyway, I was just one of a dozen or so people on the boat that sailed with or without me. The in-room AC makes the room very cold, even when I set it to 25 C (77 F). One afternoon, the floor beneath the AC was a puddle of water, causing me to slip and fall. I called to report the puddle and my fall. A worker promptly fixed the leak but the hotel sent no one to mop the water, and made no gesture to compensate me for the fall. I used the bathroom floor mat to mop it myself to avoid another slip and fall. Tiny ants were a regular presence at my bathroom sink. Once, putting on a shirt I had hung in the closet, an ant crawled along my face. My stay coincided with the FIFA World Cup. The lobby bar has a much better cable TV package than the rooms and several fans gathered there to watch the USA-Belgium round of 16 game. But the hotel was too cheap to purchase the "SKY" package for the live games, even for that lobby bar! Seeing that or any other live game meant a trip into town. Bottom line: this place is cheaper than most but the drop in quality seemed worse this trip and was too much.

2 Thank Scubalot

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

If you're looking for a large resort with lush gardens, pools, beach real estate, and multiple restaurants to choose from, this is NOT the place for you. You'd do better going to a resort further south (Sabor, Iberostar, etc.). There is one (giant) pool, one restaurant, and the "beach" is across the street (but there is a tunnel from the lobby to the beach club you can take so as not to have to cross the main road).

The rooms were spacious, which makes them great for divers. Even with all of our dive gear, dive cameras, and suitcases, we didn't feel cramped at all. One plus is that there were plenty of heavy duty hooks and hanging rods on the balcony which were absolutely perfect for hanging all the gear. The bathroom and bed wasn't anything to write home about, and the OLD tube television only had one English channel and a handful of Spanish channels to choose from, so we only turned the television on once. The bed was extremely hard but they tried to make it softer with egg crate toppers, and I appreciated that. Also, there was only a single top sheet (no comforter or bed spread), so it got EXTREMELY cold with the AC on. There was one throw in the closet, so we had to get extra throws and pillows from the front desk to make the bed use-able at night. The AC worked like a charm though! Oh man was our room cold and refreshing... so after we got the extra blankets, I was a happy camper.

The pool is apparently the largest pool on the island, which to me isn't a great thing.... you can't escape the loud drunks to save your life and it's hard to clean, so there's always stuff floating everywhere. I did appreciate that the bar guys would walk around the pool and get drinks--never had anyone do that at any other resort on Cozumel I've frequented.

The food and drinks were perfectly acceptable for an all-inclusive with only one buffet-style restaurant. I missed having the option of a "fine dining" option for dinner, but the food was good. The breakfast was the best part for me.... The omelet lady was fabulous.

And, of course... this place is great for diving. There is an easy shore dive off the "beach" area that doesn't offer much to see, but there is also a hotel dock, which makes chartering a private dive boat extremely easy. If all you want to do is have a place to eat food, sleep, and dive, then Hotel Cozumel is exactly what you want.... If you're hoping for a relaxing, A+ resort experience, keep looking.

Room Tip: Definitely go for pool view on the 1100 or 1200 floor (in America we would call that the second or t...
3 Thank Heatherduck
Spring Valley, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Others may give lower rating because the hotel may be a bit dated but we rate on service.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with smiles and hospitality. The staff is definitely geared to give you the best service. From the bell boy to the administration, everything was excellent. We had the all inclusive package which included all food and drink. The food was fine. There was always something to eat, my waist line shows proof of that and an empty glass was only existent for a moment or for as long as you were "taking a break."

As I said, the service was EXCELLENT! My wife and I made sure we made acquaintances with choice staff. Cornelio, Angel and Fernando were our personal choices for staff favorites. We were never in need of anything.

Over all, this was and is a great place to stay. The only thing you have to plan are your activities (available in the main lobby); what you will wear and your choice of food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeremy P
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at Hotel Cozumel & Resort for a week-long dive trip. I travel to Cozumel frequently (3-4 weeks a year) and usually stay downtown. We opted for this hotel since it had a large pool and my wife wanted a nice place to lay out in the afternoon. Check-in was fast and we opted for an ocean view room on the top floor (2nd floor but actually 3rd). Rooms were average but the bed was very hard, perhaps one of the worst beds I have had in this class of hotel. Bring your own pillow if you want any level of comfort. The bathroom is very small but still functional as long as you are not an overly large person. We opted for the breakfast-only plan since we do not consume a lot of alcohol and enjoy eating at the many fabulous restaurants and local taco places around town. The breakfast buffet was the standard fare of assorted breads, fruits, cereals, and made-to-order omelet station. The pool is very large but my wife complained it was always to warm. Not sure there is any solution to that since Cozumel is warm and the pool is shallow and gets direct sunlight. We did not use the hotel bars, restaurant (except for breakfast) or other eating options such as poolside. The hotel does have an under-road walkway to a small beach area and associated dive shop (we did not dive through them). Overall an average hotel, but be aware of the very hard beds if that is an issue for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The service at this hotel was a huge disappointment - I suggest you stay somewhere else.

Just prior to the last day of our trip, my review would have been much more positive. We stayed at the hotel for a week in June. The hotel was nice, given the price, (not all-inclusive). But on the second to last night we had a problem with our AC unit (there are wall-units in the rooms). We had an unpleasant night of sleep and notified front desk immediately Friday a.m. We periodically checked the status of the unit during the day and we were assured they were working on it. For a brief moment Friday night it seemed as though it had been fixed. But when we came back to the room later that night it had not, and we came back to find a pool of water on our floor resulting from a leak in the ceiling of the bathroom, (a pipe from the AC unit in the ceiling had disconnected). It was very late at night and we opted to put some towels in the ceiling panel and alert staff in the morning. Saturday a.m. was check out. We had about $60 in charges of food/drink to the room, I thought asking them to comp us that amount in exchange for 2 nights/day of no AC and a flood in bathroom seemed fair. The manager felt otherwise. He comped us 50% and said that they would normally do nothing. THEY WOULD NORMALLY DO NOTHING. I was shocked, upset and quite frankly, felt bad for the next guest who would be in our room because I don't think they were doing anything to address the problem. When I asked if we could have a late check-out given all that happened, the manager denied that request as well because the hotel was full and someone would be in that room. If it took two days to fix the AC to no avail, I can't imagine they were suddenly going to get it resolved in a few hours. In this day and age, I feel strongly that service is a huge component of a customer experience. The management team is responsible for ensuring a guest's stay is pleasant, that they are comfortable and feel taken care of. The management service at this hotel was terrible - there is no concern for your guest experience, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family