“Yucab Shallow”

Playa Corona/Corona Beach Club
Ranked #44 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Soak up some rays at this beautiful white sand beach, featuring an outdoor cafe, workout equipment and relatively calm water for swimming and snorkeling.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is our all time favorite beach dive!
A 30 ' wall with a large assortment or creatures.
A great underwater photography dive site.
There is an underwater cave at this location and it is posted as such.
It is advised to not to enter! It is not a tunnel!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stopped in Cozumel on our cruise. We wanted a quiet place to snorkel and had seen this spot on TA. For an $8 taxi ride, we arrived and there was no one else there. We spent a couple of hours of pretty nice snorkeling when a cruise tour came along. At first we were disappointed with the group being there, but once everyone was in the water, it didn't feel crowded at all.

We completely enjoyed the snorkeling here. We did not eat, but we had a few beers and bottled water, so they didn't charge us for the visit. It was an enjoyable stop.

1  Thank sbsmutoni
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Ok, before I begin, I just want to say that I have nothing against cruises--I'm more of an independent traveler, but I acknowledge that there is definitely something to be said for vacations where everything is pre-arranged for you. Obviously, the downside of getting a package deal is that you won't have the freedom to really get out and explore, but not everyone really wants that and that's perfectly fine.

I was staying in a hotel in downtown Cozumel and had rented a bike for a few days. I spent most of my time diving but thought it might be nice to ride around the island some on my last day before heading out. The reviews for this place were glowing, and it was an easy 6 or 7 mile ride from town, so I figured I'd aim for it, spend a few hours lounging on the beach there, and then return.

What I didn't realize was that this place almost entirely caters to day trippers from the cruises--the cruise ships are not far away at all, so it's an easy itinerary for them. The beach area is really quite small--there weren't any lounge chairs, though there were some tables, umbrellas, and a few decent hammocks. To sit in one, I had to either pay $5 or spend $10 at the restaurant. Ok, fine, whatever. I was starving, so I ended up paying $18 US for some rather mediocre fish and $3.50 for a beer, decent prices by US standards but super inflated for Mexico, especially given that I was there for lunch and not dinner and the portion size was not particularly generous. If I remember correctly, the cheapest items were like $15, i.e. there wasn't even a sandwich or other reasonable lunch-type option.

So overpaying for food would have been fine if the beach had been amazing, but there are definitely way better places to hit the beach on Cozumel. I'm more of a diver than a snorkeler, so maybe the snorkeling makes up for everything else, but I think you could also probably find a location that isn't so overrun with day trippers if that's your thing. While I was there, a huge cruise tour group rolled in and completely took over the place. I had gotten up from my hammock to eat, and the tour guide literally gathered everyone around my hammock for 10 minutes while she explained how to snorkel.

Basically, I would say this: this place is fine for a cruise package but not really worth it for independent travelers who have the time to research their options.

2  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This place had great food and great snorkeling. I highly recommend this place! They offer excursions here, but just take a taxi and come on out! It is very rocky, so make sure you bring water shoes (flip flops don't work).

1  Thank WazzMommy
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Great snorkeling! Great food! Welcoming staff. It small enough to be intimate but clean and well done. We will be going back again next time.

1  Thank Stewart W