We found this hotel through TripAdvisor and were so glad we stayed here. The place was everything as described and more.
Clean, affordable hotel - best part is probably the staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and several staff went out of their way to tell you about their families, learn your name, etc. It was also nice that there were always so many around to keep the property in great shape and serve guests. I say that because the hotel was practically empty, and while many properties would have cut back on the staff to save money, that clearly wasn't the case at Playa Azul.
The staff was also extremely helpful through some difficult problems. We lost our camera in a cab two days into vacation. They called the depot for us and within an hour, it was back in our hands. My wife also damaged her insulin pump and when needing medication, they promptly called a pharmacy for us and had the proper prescription dropped off - again, within an hour! I can't say enough about how helpful everyone was.
Property has a nice beach area, unlike many places in Cozumel, and if you walked down a bit further, you could go into a cove area with calmer water for some good snorkeling. We saw several varieties of fish even in water just past our knees.
Food was very good and even while trying several different things over the course of 10 days, we didn't have one bad meal in eating there for breakfast, lunch, dinner. The free breakfast always had a large variety of things - meats, fruits, cereal, etc. and was sometimes served buffet and other times, from the menu. Same high quality of food each time with great service - waiters constantly checking if you needed juice/coffee refills, etc.
Maids did a phenomenal job cleaning the rooms, things like AC and the TV worked fine, and the internet was pretty reliable.
I only had two small complaints about the trip:
1. The drinks were pretty high - if I remember correctly, $8 for mixed drinks/cocktails and $4.50 for a beer. I'd definitely consider the all-inclusive option if you plan on drinking even a little.
2. The other slightly annoying thing were the influx of cruise ship folks. The beach club next door welcomes them on many days and even though that area had an abundance of chairs and a restaurant/bar, many of them came over to the hotel to use that bar/restaurant along with the beach chairs. It was a bit of a letdown to go into your room after spending some time on an empty beach in the morning, and come back out to find several dozen folks there - many with pent up energy after spending several hours on a boat. While no one was out of control, they were a bit rowdier than the few hotel guests that were there.
The good part is that they generally were gone after an hour or two and things were 'back to normal.'
Other than that, this was the perfect vacation and if we end up in Cozumel again, we'd definitely not hesitate to stay here. Looking forward to hopefully another stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Azul Golf Scuba Spa is an oceanfront, small, charming and family run hotel distinguished by its personal service from the staff and owners. A truly home-away-from-home resort for those who prefer to be close to the ocean but not far from their room. For those who like to enjoy a wonderful gastronomic experience and friendly atmosphere. Playa Azul is a Golf and Breakfast hotel but if you prefer the All Inclusive vacation our resort offers the best menu (a la carte) both for food and beverages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Azul Golf, Scuba Hotel Cozumel
- Playa Azul Hotel Scuba
- Playa Azul Resort Scuba
- Playa Azul Cozumel