“Great Staff, Great Snorkeling”

Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Staff, Great Snorkeling”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This past March 2012 is our second stay at Hotel Playa Azul. We were there in May 2012 and loved the property. Playa Azul fits exactly what we are looking for. It is a small property, so any room you get will be a mere steps to the beach. There are ample beach loungers, so no need to do the chair game of reserving at the crack of dawn. We hate that and would not go back to a property where guests do that.

The rooms all have fantastic views of the ocean. You can sit on your patio and be mesmerized by the different hues of blue water. Ahhhh, stress be gone!

The rooms are spacious, equipped with a coffee maker and a supply of local coffee which is actually really good, an in-room safe, a small tv, a hairdryer, and nice bath toiletries. The decor and furnishings are a bit dated, but the linens were always fresh. There is good wifi access from the room and on the beach, although no signal from the restaurants.

One of the major reasons we love this hotel is because there is some great snorkeling to be had along the front just off the beach. Lots of fish to see, both the usual suspects like sergeant majors, grunts, and parrotfish, as well as some that I get really excited about seeing, like yellow stingrays, flounders, angelfish, trunkfish, angelfish, and butterflyfish.

The staff are all great, always welcoming and friendly. The food is yummy, with a wide variety of choices. The free breakfast includes hot dishes like omellettes made to order, belgian waffles, bacon, sausage, to name a few, along with a variety of breads, fruits, orange juice, and pretty darn good coffee. All served with a smile!

Its location is just a few minutes to both the airport and town, so very easy to get around and the taxis are not too expensive.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 408 has two double beds. Room 405 has a single king bed, which seemed softer than the double b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pigsterz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Kansas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We came for diving and the all-inclusive package as well as the small hotel atmosphere. The waiters are great at the restaurant and we were treated like queens. In fact, they even went and bought us a special fish at the market to prepare for us as we had been eating their wonderful fish every day.

The diving with Blue Dream is EXCEPTIONAL! If you want a stay and dive package this is the place as Dive Instructor and owner, Chris Perdamo, is TOP NOTCH.

The hotel is quiet and small and again the restaurant is great. Guacomole twice a day with every meal - great tortilla soup and the best fish I have ever had prepared in a variety of ways that never got old.

The beach is also very nice and again with the all-inclusive package having unlimited Pina Coladas, etc., while enjoying the beautiful beach is a relaxing way to spend multiple afternoons in the sunshine.

The rooms are in need of some updating and are on the small side - especially the bathrooms. And although we didn't come to watch television it would have been nice to have a bigger television (ours was 16" model) and no American channels. At night it would have been nice to be able to rent movies.

The drive to town costs $7 one way so the all inclusive option makes sense. We have stayed twice at the Occidental Grand with the all-inclusive option and I would pick Playa again and again. The big hotel experience was fine and the Occidental buffet was okay but the individual service that you get at Playa will trump the Occidental anytime.

BUT if you are coming for diving and a good hotel (not great) but with WONDERFUL service, this is the place to stay.

BLUE DREAM diving is exceptional and I won't dive with anyone else.

Room Tip: Ask for the suites on the main floor that are directly across from the beach bar! Ask for the first...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nancy H
edmonton
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I and another couple returned to Playa Azul this February after a five year hiatus and we were certainly not disappointed! We stayed the last two weeks of February, taking in Carnavel festivities, which was fun as there is always lots going on in town in evenings (parade, street venders, etc.), lots of locals and families having good time.

The main attraction for us is the golf inclusion, golfing early every other day on a beautiful, albeit challenging course. It does charge extra for cart rental/taxi, but is still a good deal considering cost is around $150 per round, maybe more?, with cart if you are not with the hotel. Liked it better when we could walk to course, but they have since put up chain link fence around perimeter of course, making the 'walk' more than we would prefer (would be nice to have a gate at 17th hole to cut across to clubhouse).

We also went with the all inclusive option this time round and it was well worth it, even though we went out for dinner a few times during our stay, since Cozumel has so many fantastic dining options (Guidos - our favorite, Prima and a few others). On average we had two meals per day at the hotel and the food was very good, but nice to go elsewhere for a change. Having drinks included saved us money in the long run, so glad we did go with the AI option.

Our rooms were clean and definitely big enough for the two of us (our maid did a great job and always ensured we had lots of bottled water and any other supplies that needed replenished). In previous years we stayed in a suite which was quite a bit bigger, plus bigger balcony, but they are older and more expensive so unless there is more than two people or you are staying for an extended period, the regular rooms are fine. One thing they used to have (pre-hurricane Wilma) was a fridge in room, which would have been nice.

The entire staff, as in previous years, were absolutely fantastic, and owners Fernando and Martha made a point of asking us how everything was, if we needed anything, etc. The entire atmosphere is so friendly and inviting and it is the people working there who make it as such! Sorry that I'm forgetting some names here, but Special thanks go out to Carlos and his restaurant staff (Juan, Louis, Lil Carlos, etc.) and Felipe and his bar staff (Kermit, Marciel, Gilberto), for making our stay most enjoyable.

The beach was good and the water is fairly calm in front of resort and is a good area for snorkeling. One concern we had, that hotel can't really do much about, was being bitten by bugs on beach...not sure what type but assume sand fleas/ants. A couple of us reacted to bites more so than other two, but antihistamine and after bite lotion helped.

Went to spa once for massage and pedicure and was very satisfied. I'd put my back out and after having deep tissue massage, was able to golf again! They also provide daily specials so good to check out once you get there to see what you might like to have done during your stay, if you are so inclined.

All in all, this is a great place to stay if you are golfers and prefer low key, quiet, friendly atmosphere. However, if you are looking for big posh resort with all the bells and whistles, it's probably not to your liking...I've been to both and enjoy both...it just depends what type of vacation you are in the mood for at the time!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank charlieedmonton
Duluth
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Was a little nervous at first, but was very, very happy with my stay. The folks there were so nice, worked so hard to keep the place spotless. It was a joy to stay there. Breakfast was awesome, beach was nice, room was great (master suite w/ hot tub.) I've got ZERO complaints. The golf deal was spectacular... got up at 5:00 am every morning to play 18 holes because it was sooo good, I'm NOT a morning person either. WAY, WAY better than staying at an all inclusive because you have the option to go to different places, and your not swamped with a 1000 people around. We were there for 8 days and we did TONS of great things... If you want details of where we went and the best way to go - e-mail me because I'm not posting all that here. All I can say is coming home is painful because we had such a wonderful time. WE WILL BE BACK! One tip I will put in here is definately fly into cozumel airport and not cancun, will end up costing you much less vs taxis/buses.

Room Tip: Hot tub was nice but we would have been happy with a regular room
2 Thank Roulo_Duluth
Ontario
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a small resort that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the large resorts.
This is perfect if you want a quiet vacation.
We went all-inclusive which worked well for us. The food and drinks were very good.
If you golf the course is challenging and always in great shape. Not to mention it will only cost you $30.
The Spa offers specials thru the week that my wife and both took advantage. Very enjoyable.
Last but certainly not least is the treatment and service we received. This was by far the best we have received in the 20+ years we have been traveling. (I would feel bad if I missed someone so I won't mention names)
Most of the people we met have been visiting this resort for years. Not hard to see why.
Thanks Fernando and your staff.

4 Thank Dwayne R
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

If you are looking for a real party spot this is not the place. No loud music blaring from the speakers or someone hounding you to play vollyball. We booked the all inclusive and were not dissapointed. My wife and myself went to celebrate our birthdays as they fell this year on the same week and for Valentines Day which falls right in the middle.
Our check-in was so easy. We were to hang with friends who were already there but we were late in arriving because of flight delays {lost one day}. About 5 minutes after check in our friends were knocking at the door as the staff came and told them that we had finally arrived.
Our first morning breakfast Jose our waiter called me by my name and it was the first time I had met him. I was impressed. The staff is super friendly. The bar keeps Gilberto, Feliepe {looks like Robert Blake}, Marcelis and Kermit were very friendly. Yassir at the front desk was so helpfull. We were met by the owner almost everyday asking about our stay and our golf game that day. He even payed the cab fare one day on our return trip from the course.
We had a better time snorkeling out front of the hotel beach than the snorkeling trip we booked as it was much more relaxing. You can see all kinds of fish and colours. It is right in front of your face and not 60ft down. Crystal clear water and so blue. We never had a problem with finding lounge chairs on the beach even when the cruise ships came in. For me i found the beds a little to hard but my wife Silvia slept like a baby every night.
Make sure you have small bills for the cabs as they like to tell you they have no change. But if you are stern with them they usually find the change. The golf course was fantastic. Just watch for the croc's. Across the street and on to the left is the most amazing Key Lime Pie you could ever eat.
We would like to keep this little gem of a spot to ourselves and tell you not to go but i can't. This place is great!!! 5 stars. Everyone we met there were repeat guest.

Room Tip: The newer section rooms are very nice. Rooms 101, 201, 301 & 401 are larger, right on the ocean...
4 Thank Brian B
canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Well we have just returned from a 10 day vacation in Cozumel at which time the first 4 days were spent at Playa Azul.
Our goals was to spend 6 nights at the Palace Cozumel but we were trying to find 4 nights when we first arrived that was close to the golf course. After many hours of researching on Trip Advisor we ultimately chose Playa Azul for the proximity to the golf course and the all-inclusive it provided. We chose the the breakfast with the golf package.
I must admit I was very skeptical of a small boutique style hotel as this is usually not our choice but we thought as long as it is clean and we get our 4 golf games in we will be happy.
Upon arrival we were met with friendliness and checked in with no problem - they had a young fellow bell boy carry our luggage up and he worked very hard with little or no english. upon arrival to our room it is what I expected ........clean but outdated yet everything we needed.............I guess. We did have a nice ocean view with a large balcony.
Immediately we found it to be very basic with the lamp broken in between the beds which made it practically always dark in the room as there was actually no other lamp but one other little light underneath the mirror. I kep saying that it was clean and we are here for the golf - we have something to look forward to when moving over to the Cozumel Palace - these were our initial thoughts.
We then walked down to the bar and ordered a beer and margarita - $13.00...........well they already lost my business in the bar. An absolute rip off to be paying almost $5.00 for a beer !!! We have money to spend but it is the principal simply. We finished our drinks and got a cab to take us to Mega where we purchased beer and wine etc., for our stay at Playa Azul.
We tried out supper the first night in their restaurant and sat there for probably 15 minutes with no one approaching us ??????? It was really weird as other than us there was one other table with 4 persons ( they were definately regulars to the resort ) ........they ended up bringing us a menu. We were finally served and were unimpressed. Not bad but just average. We were eatin up by Mosquitos the entire time which was very annoying.
So golf was set up the next morning and then on for another three days. The cab to and fro the golf course which is about 3 minutes away is $7.00 each way. We had a great time at the golf course..........absolutey beautiful and would definately recommend!!!! So here is the other little catch as they say you are paying for the breakfast / golf all-inclusive - It costs you $14.00 for cabs each day plus tips........and it costs you $60.00 (couple) each day for the golf cart plus tips for club cleaning etc.,..........so in essence it actually cost us at least $80.00 / day to golf absolute minumum. Not the end of the world because I fully knew that and golf is expensive when you travel and we love it but don't advertise all-inclusive when it really is not. $60.00 for the golf cart - give me a break.
Breakfast was really good at the hotel I forgot to mention.
As we were going to be 6 days All - Inclusive at the Palace we wanted to try local authentic mexican cantinas where no tourists are around. We did that and had a fabulous time - just perfect. We visited El Pique, Los Otates and El Faco ( I believe that is how the last one is spelt)
So back to the hotel - the people were great especially the main man in the restaurant in the morning as he remembered you by name and was extremely welcoming and friendly.
The hotel itself did it's job but it is not a place I would return.......there is definately alot of regulars that come back every year etc., and older couples. If you want something simple and clean then I have no problem recommending for others, just simply not a place I would even think of spending an entire week at.
We had a couple tell us this is the best all-inclusive they have ever been at????????????????What - maybe it was there first one or simple stayed at even cheaper older resorts prior to visiting this one.
Anyway all the excellent reviews kind of threw me off - it's simply average and you get what you pay for. It did it's job for the golf but other than that there is nothing special to talk about.
By the way if you like rock hard beds you will love this place :) but I will have to say the sheets etc were very clean as the maids did a good job !! I guess that is the one plus as it is nice to know the room is at least cleaned well.

2 Thank okop