“Another Great Vacation”

Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Another Great Vacation”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Our second stay at Playa Azul was great. We stayed in Sept of 2011 and just returned in Sept 2012. Room was very nice, clean, roomy and had outstanding views of the ocean. Service was outstanding and price was an excellent value. The hotel is excellent. We enjoyed the small but private beach. We virtually had the beach to ourselves. Breakfast was very nice and cooked to order. Wait staff was excellent. Golf was great. Clubs and cart were at total of $30. Golf course has abundant iguanas and a few crocs. Only issue was shorkel gear costs $8 additional though I did not have to pay additional for the gear on our first visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tripp G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed 5 nights at Playa Azul and loved every moment. It's clean, the staff are wonderful, the beach is small but very nice. The drinks and food (we had all-inclusive) were fantastic and it was easy to eat and drink at any time that you got hungry or thirsty since the restaurant/bar was open 7 AM to 10:30 PM. It was nice not to have to rush to make breakfast, lunch or dinner by a certain time. It made for a very relaxing trip. I have no complaint about anything and I'm a picky person!!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanview so you can't go wrong with any one of them
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dluvsd
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My family and I just returned from our second trip to Playa Azul. This hotel is one of our favorites - the people are super friendly and will do anything to accommodate your needs. The beach is excellent for hanging out, snorkeling, swimming and having drinks/food at the bar. The rooms are big and while they could use some updating here and there, it is not the place you are going to spend your time - bed is comfortable and the AC works very well. The staff are all excellent - but especially Juan, Carlos, Filipe and Kermit. Looking forward to another visit!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TimT98
collegeville, pa
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This was our 3rd stay here at the Playa Azul and this time we returned with our 2 sons, ages 19 and 20. We stayed July 25 - Aug 1st and took advantage of the all inclusive option. Food was great and there was enough variety to keep everyone happy. The all inclusive is reasonable so you can still go into town for a few meals if you want. We have travelled throughout the US, Europe and Mexico and each time we visit Cozumel and Playa Azul, we say it is our BEST vacation. It is a real vacation. Looking for quiet, calm, leave it all behind vacation, then this is your place. I speak Spanish but my family got along fine too! The staff is beyond accommodating and wonderful! At times we were the only diners in the evening and we felt like royalty- my sons ordered whatever they wanted and ate it all! Our room was clean and smelled clean! Everyone greeted us with a smile no matter how many times we passed. These are kind, professional, and caring people. And the view- oh, the views! Have your morning coffee on the beach, have lunch on the beach, sit and enjoy the quiet, enjoy the music at times, enjoy being with each other in a small hotel that lets you feel like you are in paradise. The other reviewers aren't exaggerating, My sons took the Padi Scuba cert course right there with Blue Dream. Chris was great! I would recommend BlueDream Dive Shop to anyone and everyone! We didn't golf but will next time! I got wrapped up in reading, my husband enjoyed the snorkling right there at the hotel beach and my sons got carried away with diving/snorkeling. It was hard to let go after 7 days of bliss. Thank you, Playa Azul!

Room Tip: All great rooms- we were in 312!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank lynnandjohn
Chicago
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We were looking for a place to take our boys (aged 11 and 13) for their first warm water diving experience. We decided on Cozumel and then had long debates about whether to choose one of the larger all - inclusive resorts or Playa Azul. We made the right choice for sure! First was the scuba diving. BlueDream Cozumel is the dive shop there and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. Chris was terrific - making sure that I and the boys had a great diving experience. We dove four of our seven days and each site was different and lovely. We felt that we had personalized attention and really got to know Chris and our boat captain. Second, our room was great. We chose the 7 day web special ocean front room. The view from the master bedroom was lovely with a sit-in balcony. The boys slept in the living room area on futon couches. The two rooms were separated by a large bathroom (shower/toilet/sink inside room and a sink area outside that) which was perfect. The service was great. We ate breakfast at the hotel each day - there were few guests so no buffet but we considered that a plus since we could order whatever we wanted but didn't overeat. We had lunches and dinners either at the hotel or in town. Drinks were great; the food was okay, but not our top priority so it really didn't matter. We enjoyed the personal, customized service, the uncrowded beach, and the spacious, reasonably priced room, and of course the great diving. We did parasailing and jet skiing as well - again through BlueDream Cozumel - booked right there at the hotel beach. The only negative thing was a massage at the spa. It was okay - but not the "deep tissue" massage I was hoping for. Pretty minor criticism. I mark it down for the food and massage, but would definitely go back and would recommend it!

Room Tip: Corner Ocean Front Suite was great and perfect for our family of four with one master bedroom and bo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jroseChicago
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We have been to Cancun many times, and stayed in what was considered some of the nicest facilities there. We never had experienced Cozumel. We will definitely be back, and to this particular property.We read the reviews before we made reservations, but the reviews can never really describe this property until you experience it first hand. We heard about the staff, and that is what sets this property apart from others. You actually get to know these people personally. From Phillipe/Julio/Mauricio/Carlos/Gilberto/Juan/Kermit/Hernan, and the proprietor, Fernando, these individuals made our trip.Words can not describe how nice they are, and they go out of their way to make your experience whatever you chose. The maid was amazing. Cleaned your room twice a day.
Now the property. Very quaint, very clean, right on the beach. This place is great for kids (my wife and I went by ourselves) or just as a couple. The snorkling is right in front of you at the beach. There is probably several hudred yards of rock formations that inhabit all the fish you need to see. Of course you can get an excursion set up to take you out to further reefs, but for us, all the snorkling we did was right off the beach. We did the all inclusive, and I would highly recommend that package. What all inclusives do you go to where you order off of a menu. No buffet lines. You can pay an additional 12 bucks, and get Lobster Thermador, or a Ribeye/New York Strip, or Filet Mignon. I live in Dallas, and the steaks are right up there with any high priced steak house we have been to. I could not believe the price. These were not your thin steaks, they were 1.5"- 2" thick. We took a short Jeep ride to the other side of the island, where the beaches are outstanding. There are no hotels over there, just beautiful beaches. Forgot to mention the golf. Rentals are free as is the golf. All you need to do is pay 30 bucks for a cart.This is a Jack Nicholas course, and one of the finest I have played. Just take your own golf balls (I would recommend a dozen) If you are off the fairway, it is gone. Iguanas everywhere, and alligators in the ponds.You do not go after your balls near the water, even if it is within 15 feet. Gators are real close to the edge. I bought 6 balls, and ran out on the 16th hole. I could keep going on, but just experience this for yourself.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean view. The suites are huge, even though we stayed in a regular room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Robert L
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I are very different. I like to dive, he likes to golf. This hotel allowed us to stay and have breakfast and with complementary golf it was the same price as just a round of golf!
The breakfasts were wonderful. Waffles (I've traveled extensively and own property in Mexico and have never seen waffles!), delicious coffee, fruits, eggs, yogurt, cereal, fresh squeezed juice. Everything was great. We opted for breakfast only, not all inclusive.
I did order a drink in the beach bar and it was very watered down $80 pesos, but quite large.
The rooms have really nice beds. In Mexico they are typically very hard and these were comfortably soft. Everyone who worked there was SO friendly, everyone. I loved the people.
At night in the lobby they light a wall full of candles and it is so pretty. The pool is nice and outside they have a little turtle habitat.
This is a really nice hotel. The only downside is it is far from the diving so we had to rent a car so I could get to the dive shop and back. And there was no refrigerator in the room.

Room Tip: There is an elevator so if you are handicapped it is no issue. All the rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple