Playa Azul
US$136
US$200
US$195
  • Breakfast included
Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$118
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
US$504
US$454
All reviewsbeach barfree golfblue dreambeach club next doorcart feesmall hotelall inclusive optioncozumel country clubfishquiet vacationall inclusive planevery morninghotel guestskey lime pienorth sidebreakfast was includedocean view
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Just spent a week at Playa Azul, and if we ever have the pleasure of returning to Cozumel, we will definitely stay there again. We absolutely loved the location! We had a suite overlooking the ocean which was beautiful. The service was excellent all around, from booking our reservation, to the front desk, bar and breakfast staff, and housekeeping. Our room was comfortable and clean. The hotel is quiet and peaceful, away from downtown, and a totally different atmosphere than the large all-inclusives. I am very glad with the decision I made to not go all inclusive. We would have a big, delicious breakfast, and then have dinner out in town. I believe it gave us a chance to experience more of Cozumel and enjoy some wonderful Mexican food! If you are looking for a quiet, beautiful place with excellent service, you will not be disappointed with a stay at Playa Azul!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My husband and I, our twentysomething daughter and my sister had a great week at Playa Azul. The staff was exceptional. Most of the waitstaff has been serving there for many years. They are friendly and accomodating. Yes, it's a "modest" resort but we had a beautiful ocean view and found the location great (a quick taxi ride to town). My husband enjoyed the golf course and I hit the spa on one rainy day. We snorkled right in front of the hotel and our daughter took instruction for scuba diving from the experienced staff. It's not a "nightlife" spot but they have a nice inside and outside bar area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CaryMary
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This was our second visit to Playa Azul, and there's sure to be many more. We like it because it is away from the cruise ship mania of the plaza. It's small, clean, quiet and sooo relaxing. Every room has a porch looking over the ocean. The food is good, beds comfy and the service is unbelievably attentive. We can't recommend it enough. You'll quickly find that most of the people staying there have been coming for years and years, and we're happy to join their ranks.
You can do as much or as little as you want. There's parasailing, golf, spa, snorkel, scuba--or just laying on the beach. I finished my open water certification through their dive hut. I did it there purely out of convenience, and it turned out to be a great decision. Everyone working there was very patient and helpful. They make sure you learn and feel safe. Beyond the skills, we also went on some beautiful dives. They are all clearly very experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I'm sure you'd enjoy diving with them no matter what your level.
This last visit we had an unfortunate accident-my Mom broke a couple toes while out on a walk. The hotel called a doctor and arranged everything. We were in and out of the clinic in under an hour! The doctor was great and her toes where set perfectly. Turns out the doctor is the son of the woman who runs Playa Azul. How convenient!
So, yes, highly, highly recommended! We'll meet you there!

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank PersimmonsandWalnuts
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Playa Azul has some of the nicest, friendlist staff in all of Cozumel. Everyone, from the guest relations people to the bartenders and servers were as nice and hospitable as could be. It's a smaller hotel so the staff tries really hard to go the extra mile. So, as far as service goes it was absolutely excellent- nicest people in the world. As far as the rest of the hotel goes, I would say it was fair to nice. The rooms are okay, not very luxurious, but very clean and you have everything you need. The hotel grounds are decent but not very nice compared to most other hotels. The food was pretty good with a very decent complimentary breakfast buffett every morning. The waiters were excellent and would not only remember your name, but also whether you liked cream or sugar in your coffee. They would ask you about your day and were always be willing to offer advice about what to do and where to go in Cozumel. There are not a lot of amenities and things to do around the hotel other than use the small spa (hardly a spa) or lay on the beach. The beach area is okay, kind of small but there are plenty of shaded areas and at sunset there are hardly any people out there. When the sun does go down, it's absolutely beautiful because your facing west looking out over the water. Overall, the hotel staff is what made our experience enjoyable. And for the price I think it was a pretty good deal.
Cozumel is a beautiful place and if your in to snorkeling or scuba diving then there are more than enough places to go and plenty of companies to take you there. And the people are incredibly friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank PendletonAllen
Reviewed 6 January 2011

This is our 6th trip to Cozumel and one of the best. Definitely a memorable vacation. We have stayed at El Cid once, Sol Cabañas del Caribe (which was our favorite until Hurricane Wilma remodeled and closed it down) 3 times, Hotel Cozumel 2 months after Wilma. Playa Azul is our current favorite. We prefer smaller, family friendly, laid back places, not too much nightlife (you can go into town for that), good food, easy access to the beach and simple luxuries.

The management and staff are accommodating, friendly and anticipate your needs. We met the owner, Fernado and he is a great host. Always available but not conspicuous. His family was also staying here for a visit and he always kept an eye on the guests even when dining and on the beach with his family.

The staff got to know us and would have our special requests at the ready. They learned that I like extra lime with my margaritas and always gave me a big slice or two without my asking! We knew all of them by first name and took many pictures.
When a small problem occurred with a check, they made it right by giving us a free drink or something else with no question or arguments.

We enjoyed the food every time. No so-so or bad meals. Breakfast every morning is included and the choices were plentiful. They served several standard items, waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage, cereal with trimmings, fresh made eggs & omelets to order. Each day they would have 2-3 unique items such as chorizo with prickly pear cactus (very good). The buffet well attended and the waiters kept our coffee cups full.

The spa is small, but is big enough for the size of the hotel. Isbel, the manager/masseuse/manicurist, gave me a wonderful back massage that took out the knots in my back, and believe me, there were many. She also did a great job on my nails, which were in rough shape. The prices are very reasonable, atmosphere relaxing. The manicure area was outside of the massage rooms beside the courtyard, so as we chatted about everything, I kept a keen eye on the birds. A real treat!

The Wi-Fi works better in the lobby and is limited in the veranda restaurant. We had pretty good connection in our room. If no connection, they quickly reset the system. Oh my, we used to get upset when we couldn't get good TV reception, now we are desperate for the internet--hey, we're on vacation, do we really need internet? Well, we did find this site helpful for restaurant reviews, bird watching references and, of course, e-mail and Face Book.

We met many friendly families from Europe, USA and Mexico. Made new friends and exchanged e-mail addresses. That was a plus. Everyone liked the hotel and gave us tips on where to eat and where to find the best bird watching sites. Many recommended the golf course for bird and wildlife sightings, said it was the best spot and some shared pictures of the wildlife there. They weren't even avid or basic bird watchers, but the beauty of the warblers and water birds caught their attention. We have yet to go there because they prefer not to have non-golfers on the course after 8:30 am, so we may rent a cart and clubs for $75 usd to pretend we are golfing to get in there. They do offer a guided tour early in the day for $50 usd. Not bad, but we would prefer to do it on our own as long as we keep up with the golfers.

Also, we must say, at this time of the season, we sighted many beautiful birds right in the hotel courtyards. Many endemic species as well as migratory warblers, orioles. It is a wonderful experience to walk out the front door of your hotel and see three or four new species every day without a lot of effort.

We definitely will return to Playa Azul and look forward to renewing our love of this island paradise.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple