“Are you kidding Me???”

Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Los Angeles
“Are you kidding Me???”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

OK, we check in on a Tuesday. At first glance, it is for all intent and purposes just as people described. A bare bones Dive hotel in a great location. The rooms are basic. Double bed, Small fridge, TV.

First, we locked our keys in the room (as hotel guset due all over the world) and they didn't have a spare - had to wait until the maid got there at 8a (really 8:30) almost missed our dive.

The maid had to be asked to sweep our room after 2 or 3 days and empty the wastbaskets. This is important because you put ALL your toilet paper in the basket after using the restroom, due to plumbing issues in Mexico.

The desk clerk was totally useless, like god forbid she had to do anything except look at TV. We needed things and all she could say was no, or we can't. I speak some spanish and once I yelled at her in spanish, I was mi amor (my love) and everything was easier with her.

The biggest issue was the hot water. A few things ran through my mind. First they would always say they were working on it, but in discovery, they turn it on from 7a - 11a in the morning and I guess again at night. I understand that they are trying to save money, but it would have worked better if they didn't give you the run around and just told you. I got into a huge argument with the manager because he said that they didn't turn it off and then stated the 7a to 11a thing and of course I explained to him thatif you turn it on at 7a then it must have been off, At first, he was very disrespectful and tried to blow me off, but I am bigger then the average person there and as I confronted him more assertively, he confessed, but still stormed off and did nothing.

No Phones in the room and the hotel would not call anyone for you.

The dive company was great overall, but some of the staff at the hotel office dive shop, were so lazy, you have to push to get things from them. On the boat, totally great, supportive, great customer service.

The Bar (The No Name Bar)on the other had was just the opposite - friendly, great customer service, polite, helpful, social and presented well.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Piss poor customer service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank ronrico2932

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
south padre island, texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2008

I was in cozumel from 8/30 thru 9/7/2008. I picked Baracuda because when we booked our dives with Paradise Dive(excellent dive shop) they offered a package deal to stay next door at the Baracuda. The next morning I reported that I had low or no water presure on the cold water side. THe lady down stairs said they would check it out. Never did. I had to remove the shower head and clean it up to get any preasure at all. To shower I had hurry so as not to get scalded. The beds felt like box springs put together. a/c barely worked. The manager , an older lady was rude from the time we checked in till we checked out. When we asked her set up a taxi pickup for our morning departure she refused, saying should wait outside for one. I have traveled halfway around the world on diving trips from Egypt to the Galapgos and have never seen a room or staff as lazy as the people at Baracuda. I was also plagued by chiggers and cockroachs during my stay. The No Name Bar is great, but it not owned by the hotel. Paridise Dive is a first class dive operation with great people. Ihave traveled half\way around the world diving from Egypt to the Galapagos Islands and have never seen anything as bad as Baracuda.

• Liked — next to dive shop
  • Disliked — the room and staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank seapony

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

The Barracuda..I know where it gets its name: the middle aged woman at the front desk is a barracuda. She was very rude, probably because she is in the wrong industry for her personality. They suggest you leave your valuables in their safe deposit box at the front desk, but when you do they charge you to use it! Not very nice.

Ok. Here is a run down. I'm a suba diver; I went there to dive.

CONS:

NO ELEVATOR!!! We were on the 3rd floor...ouch my knees!

Color tv with fuzzy cable and no remote (verified by other friends staying there). 1/2 of shower door was so corroded with crud that it would not open. showers were weak. Water smelled like something that water should not smell like. Cold water spigot in sink gave hot water. Music at the outside bar was waaaaay too loud. Barracuda at front desk. "No Name Bar" caters to cruise ship crews and they got pretty drunk before hoofing it back to their cruise ships. Not a nice enough place for kids!!! No telephones in rooms. No complimentary shampoo, conditioner or hairdryers. Just soap bars and very small toilet paper rolls. Towels were old, rough, and scratchy.

PROS:
Dive boat (Paradise) picked us up right at Barracuda pier. Close walk to downtown San Miguel, probably like 2 or 3 blocks. Pretty nice pool with swim up bar. Great service and atmosphere at the bar. I had an apartment sized fridge...great since the Chedraui supermarket was only 2 blocks away. Dive Paradise is right on site. 2 really great restaurants within a block either side of the hotel: Rock n Java to the north and Jeannies to the south. Both were pretty excellent! View from private balconies was simply...well, simple and beautiful!!! I had a massage on premises for $55 USD which was very much welcome after all the diving. A/C unit was new in my room...kept it cold at about 18 celcius all the time.

OVERALL: $83 a night with balcony overlooking the ocean? Hmmm....weighing that against the primitive-ness of the hotel, I think it warrants some improvement, but maybe just better towels, maybe some weatherstripping under the doors...you could see outside under and around the door frame. Also, a remote control would help.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — stained sheets, rough towels, primative rooms.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank dixintex
houston, tx
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

The Barracuda has a very lazy woman with a bad a$$ attitude working at the front desk. This person is so lazy and so anti-hospitable she won't even call you a cab because "you can just walk down the sidewalk and find one yourself"...nevermind your trying to check out and have a 50 lb. bag your toting as long as it doesn't inconvenience her. This person shouldn't not be working in a hotel and would be much better suited as a prison guard.

They recommend leaving your valuables in their safe deposit box and then told me I owed them $2 for the pleasure the morning I was trying to check out (no disclosure of this was made but considering the big deal she made it you'd think it was written on their marquee) and get my bags into the waiting cab that we found which she refused to take part in helping in. She was more concerned with getting her $2 than helping the people who stayed there for 7 nights and refused to listen to me or allow me to explain I left money in the room upstairs for a tip that would cover this inconvenient expense that I didn't have time to deal with! The AC in our room was marginal at best and could only get the room cool to 75 degrees at night and the ceiling fan didn't help at only 20 rpm/minute. The water smelled not so pleasant, no remote control for tv in our room, no cold water in shower in our friends room,

They have some work to do at this place and it starts by firing the lady who was on duty at the front desk the morning of 9-7-08 at 9:30 am!

Not going back

Houston, TX

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lady at front desk and beds
  • Stayed September 2008