“Diving Trip to Cozumel”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My dive buddy and I stayed at Safari Inn and dove with their dive shop, Aqua Safari the last month in May, 2012. Every part of our experience here was fantastic. The owner and staff are attentive to the guest's needs and go out of their way to help with scheduling dives, finding local restaurants and just about anything else we asked! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and a separate and very convenient area was made available for hanging dive gear. The diving with Aqua Safari was superb also. My dive buddy and I are both very experienced divers with hundreds of dives at spots all over the world, but this was our first trip to Cozumel. The dive guides they use are incredible. They have been diving the reefs here their entire lives and know them like i know my own neighborhood. They pointed out marine life that we would probably never have seen, and truly made each dive an enjoyable and informative experience. Top notch! On a few of our days here, we dove with the cattle boat because thee weren't enough divers for the fast boat. This allowed us to see first hand how well the dive guides worked with new or inexperienced divers - again top notch. We really felt like "part of the family" while we were here, and would definitely stay and dive here again - and again - and again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are probably nicer for couples and families, but for those coming to dive any...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Safari Inn in Cozunel during our dive trip in December. This hotel is eactly what it is advertised to be...simple, basic, comfortable, and affordable.

The staff is amazingly friendly and willing to meet any request...including switching us to another room due to an issue with the plumbing in our first.

The bed is comfortable. AC works great. Towels are a little aged but clean ones are brought every day. Bottled water is provided for brushing your teeth etc and there is even a small Igloo cooler in each room if you want to keep cold beverages onhand. There is ice availble for purchase from the dive shop down stairs. The view from the front three rooms is an amazing ocean view. All the others look at the building next door but you are literally 50 feet from the beach if you need a good look.

If you are diving, the rooms are all tile which is a great convenience. Also, you are immediately across the street from the Aqua Safari Pier. You can also rinse and store your gear in the dive shop downstairs. This is a major convenince because there are no eleveators and gear gets heavy if you have to haul it to the third floor every day.

There are tons of restaruants and shops nearby (and lots that aren't centered around the cruieships within walking distance). The cab ride from the airport is only $7 or $8.

If you are looking for something resort like for your stay, this may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a clean and friendly place to sleep and eat in between dives. the Safari Inn is perfect and I definately recommend it!

Room Tip: Request the front rooms if they are available...much better view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dawnya H
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Location right above the diveshop at the beachfront saves some trouble when carrying gear back from the boat. Every time I stepped out of the hotel, I was surrounded by eager salesmen.

I booked a dive package for a week, and had a huge room all to myself. Pricey. Didn't manage to get hot water. The cleaning ladies did impeccable job.

They have lots of friendly staff at Aqua Safari. I was suprised by the lack of briefs, debriefs and buddychecks when diving, but felt safe and relaxed nevertheless. Would've hoped for lunch at the boat, since breakfast wasn't included and there's no kitchenette in the room.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Vahinko
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We booked a 5 nights/3 days diving package and could not be a happier! We went with another couple and they were happy to arrange for them to have the room next door. We had the ideal set-up here and we will return!! Our room had a huge balcony with a BEAUTIFUL sea view. The hotel is ideally located: the dive boat left from the dock right across the street. It is a short walk to a large grocery store, downtown, and many bars/restaurants. We rented a scooter for the time we were there, and they let us park it in a safe place behind the shop. Could not ask for more! This is the best value in Cozumel if you are a diver and like to be located right in the action!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the room with the balcony/sea view! It is well-worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank snsmith27
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I would definitely stay at Safari Inn again. Very convenient for diving with their shop Aqua Safari attached. Staff is very helpful and the location is perfect. Within walking distance to anything you need. The rooms are not luxurious, but are very clean and unless you are in the one right on the highway, very quiet. Hot water is plentiful, but cold showers are more appropriate in that climate anyway! The A/C is a wall unit, which is the only negative--kind of noisy and not super cold, but functional.
Barbara R. Boulder City, NV

Room Tip: Ask for one off the street, those rooms can be noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This was my second time staying at Safari Inn in downtown Cozumel. I was here for 2 weeks to dive with Aqua Safari, which is located on the ground floor. I had one of their best corner rooms, which faced the ocean and had it's own balcony. There was a sliding glass/screened door on the ocean-facing side and a wall of windows on the other wall. It's very sunny and bright, but you can pull the curtains for privacy.

I loved going out on the balcony to see what was going on in the street to to take photos of the sunset. I could also see when my boat arrives, although diving on the regular boats, you have to be on the pier by 8:15 am. They return around 1:30. The afternoon dive is at 2:30, which doesn't leave much time for lunch. Just grab a quick snack from your room or get a spring roll to go from Chi up the block. There are lots of options once you get your bearings. When they return around 4PM and you've rinsed your gear (there are rinse tanks and storage in the rear of the shop) and had a nice shower, and shmoozed with Bill and the staff, it's time for a well-deserved dinner.

The A/C works great and has a remote, so you don't have to get up to change the setting. I had a king bed which was very comfortable, plus a single couch/bed for a third person or can use as a place to throw a few things. There were two plastic patio chairs which I used mainly for drying gear and bathing suits.

There are shelves for storing clothes and stuff.

There are mini-refrigerators in the better rooms, which I really appreciated. Also free wi-fi. There is no telephone or tv or breakfast. But for $20, I bought a little Black & Decker 16 oz. coffee maker to bring along, a can of my favorite coffee, some non-dairy creamer and made my own coffee every morning. I also brought a bag of granola. Voila. Breakfast. I recommend bringing a set of silverware and a plastic plate. Comes in handy if you do take out.

The shower gets hot after a few minutes. The electrical outlets can take American appliances no problem, but if you need three-prong adapter for your computer, bring one. Last year they lent me one for 10 days, but I wouldn't count on that. There are only 3 outlets in the room, but it was sufficient.

It was quiet for the most part once the cruise ships leave at around 6 and the neighboring shops close. With the a/c on and the windows closed, it's quiet except for some light car traffic.

The maid service was excellent. I hadn't met her, but felt like I knew her. She did towel art with my towels every day. She even cleaned out my coffee maker if I forgot. The rooms are very clean and when I get back from diving, it was nice to find the place tidied up (bed made, trash, etc.).

This is a great place for divers or anyone who is on a budget. I paid $57 a night for the best room in the house. If you don't mind not having a view, it's even cheaper. I stayed in one of those rooms last year and it was fine, although there was no refrigerator. If need be, there's an ice chest in each room and bag of ice is very cheap. You can always chill your beer in that. Check out their website for current prices.

I also learned that the Safari Inn is safe in the event of a hurricane. It has weathered some pretty nasty hurricanes. People on Cozumel know how to deal with hurricanes, so you don't have to be afraid to come here during hurricane season. They will keep you safe here.

The main reason I chose Safari Inn/Aqua Safari is that it's downtown. No need to take taxis all the time to come to town to eat and shop. There are so many nice restaurants within walking distance of the Inn. And some are very inexpensive. It's also walking distance to the ferry and to Mega, the supermarket.

The other reason I chose Safari Inn is because Aqua Safari has a great reputation. I loved diving with them last summer and had a great time this summer, too. Everyone is so nice, from the owner (Bill Horn), to the staff (Donna, Teresa, Dahlia, Candi, Roberto) in the dive shop, and the dive masters, and boat crew. The also have a few PADI instructors, so come to Aqua Safari and get certified.

Their boats all have heads, too. They charge $75 for a 2 tank dive and only $15 for a third afternoon dive. Night dives are $45. There's a $2 per day park fee which goes to the preservation of the underwater park.

Aqua Safari has a pier right across the street from the dive shop, so you can get up, grab your gear and be on the boat in minutes.

It felt very safe on Cozumel. Crime is low. Even the water is safe, so go and enjoy some of the best diving the Caribbean has to offer and stay at Safari Inn where you will be treated like family.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Msyentah
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I had the pleasure to to stay at the Safari Inn and enjoy the 5 day two tank dive package and was very pleased with the whole experience. I booked the trip very last minute and it was made easy thanks to Donna whom was extremely prompt responding to my emails even at 7am, Donna not only manages the dive shop but also handles reservations and every other detail you could need. She confirmed my room, directed me on the best way to get to resort and most affordable and provided me with all the answers to any questions I had. Thanks Donna you really made things easy and customer service skills are unparalled.
The room I had was huge, Large comfortable king bed, large shower great hot water and maid service everyday. Fresh bottled water was supplied everyday to the room. The dive masters are upbeat, fun and like what they do and it shows. The diving was breathtaking and the Corals are abundant with life. Different locations are sought out daily which makes for a new expereince almost every dive. Fresh fruits are served in between dives and plently of drinks and water are served on boat. Conversation is abundant on the boats which adds to the experience and knowledge i gained from divers all over the world.
That time went too fast is a testament to the great experience. I was a single traveler and the location of the resort couldn't have been better. I was steps away from restaurants, medical, gym, groceries and didn't need a taxi for anything. A nice light breakfast and then steps to the dock and boat every morning.
If you are going to dive specifically solo or with a bunch of friends then this place should not be overlooked. All round great job done by Safari Inn!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo