“Can't Wait to Return”

Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Brooklyn
“Can't Wait to Return”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was my third summer staying at Safari Inn and diving with the Aqua Safari on the ground floor. My visit was from Aug. 11-25. I had my same ocean-front room with king size bed and mini-frig. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the showers hot.

The room was very spacious room, very clean with a balcony. I shared my room with a friend the first week and there was plenty of room for both of us; lots of storage space. There were two plastic chairs which I used as a clothes/gear dryer. There was also a couch with a foam mattress that could be used for a third person.

The location was convenient. It's was a five-minute walk to the Mega supermarket, the ferry station and lots of restaurants. This year I ventured to 30th Ave. and beyond to eat at more "local" taco and huaraches places which was a 10-minute walk from the Inn. I also tried Pescaderia San Carlos on Avenida 50 Bis, a 20- minute walk.

I always feel safe on Cozumel. It's not necessary to take taxis everywhere. Walking is part of the experience. I bring my camera and take lots of pictures. Just don't forget to take water and a hat.

Food: I made coffee in my room (I bring a tiny brewer) but if you want to eat a nice breakfast out, Costa Brava on Calle 7 off Melgar (around the corner from the Inn; opens around 7am) has a nice and reasonable breakfast.

A nice lunch spot near the Inn is Loncheria Sabores on Ave. 5 btw calle 3 & 5. Very inexpensive. It's in the owner's house. If you feel like a nice walk to the north end and you love fish, Albinos is still one of my favorites. They're on Ave. 20 btw calle 10 & 12 (closed on Wednesday; open 12-8).

El Mercado Municipal on the corner of 20th Ave & calle 3 is a fun place to have a fish lunch and shop for fruit like a local.

I like the Mayan dishes at La Choza on Ave. 10 btw Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas & calle 3. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don't miss El Moro on Ave 75 Bis btw Calles 2 & 4. Great food and very friendly atmosphere (open for lunch and dinner; closed on Thurs).

La Perlita (calle 10th btw Ave 65 Bis and Ave 70) serves lionfish. Very good fish place.

El Pique has the best tacos (some say). They open after 7PM, corner of Ave 30 and Benito Juarez.

Chilangos Taqueria on Ave 30 btw calle 3 & Morelos is known for its huaraches. After I got home, I read that they also make tamales here. They open at 6 til late. You can eat for about $3 at El Pique and Chilangos.

For dessert, try the helados (ice cream) at corner of Juarez and Avenida 20. I love their homemade popsicles and my favorite was mango and chile. Spicy good. And less than a dollar.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Msyentah

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
valley glen, california
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our first time to Cozumel and did not know what to expect or where to stay. We dove with Aqua Safari and the Safari inn is right above the dive shop and on the main street. We like the fact that we did not have to walk or travel far to get to the shop. We also like the fact that we can access their boat just across the street. If you read the reviews you will not be disappointed, I know we were not. As a matter of fact it was better. The room has no tv, hair dryer, or phone and they do have a cooler so you can keep your beer or water cold. The rooms are simple and clean and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 7 are larger and have a view of ocean
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My dive buddy and I stayed at Safari Inn and dove with their dive shop, Aqua Safari the last month in May, 2012. Every part of our experience here was fantastic. The owner and staff are attentive to the guest's needs and go out of their way to help with scheduling dives, finding local restaurants and just about anything else we asked! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and a separate and very convenient area was made available for hanging dive gear. The diving with Aqua Safari was superb also. My dive buddy and I are both very experienced divers with hundreds of dives at spots all over the world, but this was our first trip to Cozumel. The dive guides they use are incredible. They have been diving the reefs here their entire lives and know them like i know my own neighborhood. They pointed out marine life that we would probably never have seen, and truly made each dive an enjoyable and informative experience. Top notch! On a few of our days here, we dove with the cattle boat because thee weren't enough divers for the fast boat. This allowed us to see first hand how well the dive guides worked with new or inexperienced divers - again top notch. We really felt like "part of the family" while we were here, and would definitely stay and dive here again - and again - and again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are probably nicer for couples and families, but for those coming to dive any...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Arkansas
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Safari Inn in Cozunel during our dive trip in December. This hotel is eactly what it is advertised to be...simple, basic, comfortable, and affordable.

The staff is amazingly friendly and willing to meet any request...including switching us to another room due to an issue with the plumbing in our first.

The bed is comfortable. AC works great. Towels are a little aged but clean ones are brought every day. Bottled water is provided for brushing your teeth etc and there is even a small Igloo cooler in each room if you want to keep cold beverages onhand. There is ice availble for purchase from the dive shop down stairs. The view from the front three rooms is an amazing ocean view. All the others look at the building next door but you are literally 50 feet from the beach if you need a good look.

If you are diving, the rooms are all tile which is a great convenience. Also, you are immediately across the street from the Aqua Safari Pier. You can also rinse and store your gear in the dive shop downstairs. This is a major convenince because there are no eleveators and gear gets heavy if you have to haul it to the third floor every day.

There are tons of restaruants and shops nearby (and lots that aren't centered around the cruieships within walking distance). The cab ride from the airport is only $7 or $8.

If you are looking for something resort like for your stay, this may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a clean and friendly place to sleep and eat in between dives. the Safari Inn is perfect and I definately recommend it!

Room Tip: Request the front rooms if they are available...much better view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dawnya H
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Location right above the diveshop at the beachfront saves some trouble when carrying gear back from the boat. Every time I stepped out of the hotel, I was surrounded by eager salesmen.

I booked a dive package for a week, and had a huge room all to myself. Pricey. Didn't manage to get hot water. The cleaning ladies did impeccable job.

They have lots of friendly staff at Aqua Safari. I was suprised by the lack of briefs, debriefs and buddychecks when diving, but felt safe and relaxed nevertheless. Would've hoped for lunch at the boat, since breakfast wasn't included and there's no kitchenette in the room.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Vahinko
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We booked a 5 nights/3 days diving package and could not be a happier! We went with another couple and they were happy to arrange for them to have the room next door. We had the ideal set-up here and we will return!! Our room had a huge balcony with a BEAUTIFUL sea view. The hotel is ideally located: the dive boat left from the dock right across the street. It is a short walk to a large grocery store, downtown, and many bars/restaurants. We rented a scooter for the time we were there, and they let us park it in a safe place behind the shop. Could not ask for more! This is the best value in Cozumel if you are a diver and like to be located right in the action!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the room with the balcony/sea view! It is well-worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank snsmith27
Boulder City, NV
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I would definitely stay at Safari Inn again. Very convenient for diving with their shop Aqua Safari attached. Staff is very helpful and the location is perfect. Within walking distance to anything you need. The rooms are not luxurious, but are very clean and unless you are in the one right on the highway, very quiet. Hot water is plentiful, but cold showers are more appropriate in that climate anyway! The A/C is a wall unit, which is the only negative--kind of noisy and not super cold, but functional.
Barbara R. Boulder City, NV

Room Tip: Ask for one off the street, those rooms can be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo