“Amazing for cheap!”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place was amazingly spacious for so cheap! The bed was enormous and clean, and all our towels were made into little fans and swan, super cute.

The air con was great, there is no TV, and they give you bottles of water too.

Downsides, the air con is slightly loud and so is the generator next to the bathroom. Wifi is intermittent but works quite well. Beds are a bit uncomfy. We wanted to dive with the aqua safari dive shop too but they were completely booked out. Plenty of other dive shops to choose from though.

Totally recommend if you're looking for something spacious and cheap!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole L

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend reserved one of the studio with Ocean View in Safari Inn for 55$/night after I've been there 3 months before with 3 of my friends.

This was so incredible. The room was very clean,spacious, the service room was amazing (free water bottles every day) and the view from our room was breathtaking.

I highly recommand the Safari Inn !!!

Room Tip: The ones in front of the water... same price, but amazing view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ghistos
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was not as thrilled with this motel as some of the other reviewers. On the other hand, if you are looking for a cheap place to just sleep, this is a good value. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Toilet did not work well and the sign telling you to put used toilet paper in the waste basket put me off a bit. Also no ceiling fan and a noisy AC. No television-once again not an issue if you only use the room to sleep.

I suppose you get used to it but, I did not care for the constant haranguing from all the store merchants every time you took a walk. Dive operation was OK for a cattle boat operation. 13 people one day and 15 the next. Boat operators were organized and the divers were all experienced so not too bad.

Room Tip: No view from the alley room I had. Front rooms have an ocean view but you also get the street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank kimjady
Reviewed 15 January 2013

For about $300 more than it would have cost to get my son PADI certified in Virginia, I got him certified, with two additional days of diving, plus 5 days of two dives for myself (all equiptment included for both of us) and 7 nights of lodging. The dive instuctor was fantastic, and the dives were great. I had expected Cosumel to be kind of "dived out" if you know what I mean. But the reef was awesome - sharks, eagle rays, etc. really big fish. The Inn itself is right on the water and the main road, so it can get a bit noisy, but I liked it. Very basic, no tv. but wireless. Once I win the lottery, I'll probably stay at the Palace. Until then, I'm going to the Safari Inn.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank weckerj
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This review is primarily on the hotel, but we also rented snorkel equipment from the dive shop downstairs. what a great find! very cheap hotel stay at a great location! sure its not a fancy hotel, but if all you need is a simple, clean room, with a great view, this is perfect. We got the room on the top floor with panoramic views of the carribean sea and cruise ship docks. See my pictures for the great view! The staff were great, and like I said, the dive shop rented snorkel equipment for us for 4 days at a very good price. very professional dive shop with all your needs it seems. all their scuba trips sound wonderful, so I will have to learn to scuba soon!
The only thing that was not great was the shower literally takes about 30 minutes to get hot water flowing, so it felt very wasteful running the shower for about 30-35 minutes before you can get in. its within walking distance of pretty much everything, including the ferry terminal! but we had a rentacar so we mostly drove, and spent all day driving around the island and
snorkeling everywhere we could. There is also a couch [altho a sad looking, hard couch haha] and also a working little mini fridge in the room! The cleaning lady made the towels into really great animal shapes everyday!! such as swans and even elephants.
Cozumel can be a very very touristy place, but we had a great low key stay at this hotel, and had a wonderful time! Would probably return if I am traveling on a budget to Cozumel again. Went in March 2012.

Room Tip: The top floor, ocean front room! also second floor, ocean front would be just as good probably
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mia415
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Pros- Friendly staff, clean, sleeps 5 (king, twin & 2 bunks), free internet, free drinking water
Cons – Noisy (be awakened by the tank deliveries at 4 AM), street noise even in the back, but especially bad in the front, no place to sit in the room, no balconies except the street rooms (so no place to dry your dive stuff), one thin blanket on one of the 5 beds, noisy A/C, no fridge

If you are a group of guys looking for a cheap place to stay when you dive with Aqua Safari (downstairs) & need a cheap place to sleep & shower, this is a good option. If there are ladies along or non-diving spouses, spend a little more & go to the much better Casa Mexicana 2 doors down. In the interest of marital happiness, we moved and my non-diving husband was much happier (see my review of Casa Mexicana).

Room Tip: All rooms have street noise, but ones on street are especially bad.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LucyLu_Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was my third summer staying at Safari Inn and diving with the Aqua Safari on the ground floor. My visit was from Aug. 11-25. I had my same ocean-front room with king size bed and mini-frig. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the showers hot.

The room was very spacious room, very clean with a balcony. I shared my room with a friend the first week and there was plenty of room for both of us; lots of storage space. There were two plastic chairs which I used as a clothes/gear dryer. There was also a couch with a foam mattress that could be used for a third person.

The location was convenient. It's was a five-minute walk to the Mega supermarket, the ferry station and lots of restaurants. This year I ventured to 30th Ave. and beyond to eat at more "local" taco and huaraches places which was a 10-minute walk from the Inn. I also tried Pescaderia San Carlos on Avenida 50 Bis, a 20- minute walk.

I always feel safe on Cozumel. It's not necessary to take taxis everywhere. Walking is part of the experience. I bring my camera and take lots of pictures. Just don't forget to take water and a hat.

Food: I made coffee in my room (I bring a tiny brewer) but if you want to eat a nice breakfast out, Costa Brava on Calle 7 off Melgar (around the corner from the Inn; opens around 7am) has a nice and reasonable breakfast.

A nice lunch spot near the Inn is Loncheria Sabores on Ave. 5 btw calle 3 & 5. Very inexpensive. It's in the owner's house. If you feel like a nice walk to the north end and you love fish, Albinos is still one of my favorites. They're on Ave. 20 btw calle 10 & 12 (closed on Wednesday; open 12-8).

El Mercado Municipal on the corner of 20th Ave & calle 3 is a fun place to have a fish lunch and shop for fruit like a local.

I like the Mayan dishes at La Choza on Ave. 10 btw Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas & calle 3. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don't miss El Moro on Ave 75 Bis btw Calles 2 & 4. Great food and very friendly atmosphere (open for lunch and dinner; closed on Thurs).

La Perlita (calle 10th btw Ave 65 Bis and Ave 70) serves lionfish. Very good fish place.

El Pique has the best tacos (some say). They open after 7PM, corner of Ave 30 and Benito Juarez.

Chilangos Taqueria on Ave 30 btw calle 3 & Morelos is known for its huaraches. After I got home, I read that they also make tamales here. They open at 6 til late. You can eat for about $3 at El Pique and Chilangos.

For dessert, try the helados (ice cream) at corner of Juarez and Avenida 20. I love their homemade popsicles and my favorite was mango and chile. Spicy good. And less than a dollar.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends