“Much needed vacation”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Mariam M
San Francisco, California
“Much needed vacation”
Reviewed 5 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012

It had a while since we took a relaxing vacation. Decided to come back to Cozumel for Rest, Relaxation and Diving. Found Casa Julie on VRBO with excellent reviews. The owner was very responsive to my inquiry. Within a couple of days we had rented our 10 day stay and was put in touch with Margaret from Enjoy Cozumel, who manages the rental. The place is as nice and clean as the reviews said. Based on conversations with other travels we met in the complex, it's also one of the best price units. The grounds are kept well and it's a very secure complex, with security personnel walking the grounds regularly. Our unit was ont right on the beach, but a 3 minute walk. Margaret's son, Pawel also helped us rent a car at a cheaper rate. For those deciding to stay, this is a 14 km ride to center of San Miguel, and cabs will cost you $15 to $20 each way, so highly recommend renting a car. The complex is walking to San Francisco and Paradise beach facilities.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Clean, secure, close to the beach and all diving sites in the south side of the island.
Liked least: It's a drive to the restaurants
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2012 for a stay in March 2012

A romantic getaway Older travelers
MontanaLC
Salt Lake City, UT
“Surprisingly Perfect”
Reviewed 15 May 2011 for a stay in May 2011
person found this review helpful

Choosing Casa Julie vs Hotels:
Staying at Casa Julie was surprisingly perfect for us. We’ve stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente and all-inclusive Occidental Grand on previous stays and enjoyed them both. We got to the point this year where we wanted to save money by making our own breakfast/lunch and enjoy the many amazing restaurants around Cozumel for dinner. The food at the all-inclusives is ok, but the lack of options throughout the week takes its toll. The kitchen at Casa Julie was ideal for our needs and was well stocked with the basics: full size fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher, dishes and cooking supplies.
Surprisingly, and you’ll hear me say “surprisingly” a lot throughout this review, it honestly felt like we were staying at a friend or family’s condo for the week. The condo is well decorated as if the owners lived there full-time. Our first impression was that the condo was very clean, laid out very well, newer furniture and just had that sense of home. Decorations on nearly every wall throughout the condo, decorative dishes on the cupboards, center pieces on the dinner and coffee tables, candles, and pillows on every chair, sofa and bed. The pictures of this condo don’t it justice – and the bright orange walls really aren’t that bright in person. The condo is colorful throughout (in a good way) and it all blends together very well.

Bed & Amenities:
We’re always worried about the beds when traveling as we have a tempur-pedic at home, but the bed was surprisingly comfortable and we slept great every night. A sliding glass door leads out from the living room to the porch where there is a jetted tub and plenty of room for drying scuba gear. We used the jetted tub the first night and as other reviews state – it was fairly slow to fill up and with that amount of water don’t expect a “hot” bath. We knew this going in and made sure to start filling it a good 15-20 minutes beforehand, and with it already 85+ degrees that night, a luke-warm bath was all we going for. So if you have reasonable expectations beforehand you won’t be disappointed. We also appreciated the addition of Dish satellite TV, Vonage Internet phone with free long-distance to the US, and internet access at no additional charge. Parking, just down the stairs from the condo, was also free.

Condo Staff:
I read in other reviews how friendly the condo manager and other staff were but we didn’t meet anyone but the guy at the guardhouse the afternoon we drove in. We knew the area from past trips and didn’t have any major problems so there was no need for us to seek them out. The guards at the gate even recognized our car as we entered and left the complex so we were never stopped the remaining of the trip. Then again we had a big number 44 and “Thrifty” sticker on our car so even Nascar fans would have been able to spot and recognize us from the grandstands.

Grounds & Pier:
The grounds are very well kept up by the staff at the complex – cleaned and swept every morning. The lounge chairs at the beach are the standard plastic loungers found at other resorts, but the loungers by the two pools are nice wooden bases with comfortable cushions on top – the best I’ve seen at any resort. The pools are nothing to get excited about, you’re not going to find any pool activities here, but it’s perfect if you have kids or just want a quick dip without having to wash the ocean off you afterwards. There are two showers near the beach pool which we made use of for rinsing off our diving equipment. There are lots of palms and flowers between the condo buildings and it is just very beautiful everywhere from the ocean to the guardhouse. I read somewhere that you could use the Aura’s pier for a small fee if going with an outside scuba company. However if you act like you’re staying there and enter the beach at the edge of their resort they have no reason to question you and we never had problems or were charged to use their pier. One day we were asked what our names were as their boat was about to leave, but I simply responded that we were diving with a different company and continued to the end of the dock with no problem.

Problems:
Obviously nothing major but a few notables. At the guard gate the afternoon we arrived we sat there for about 5 minutes as they couldn’t seem to find us on the list. They must have eventually found us though as they let us past. The internet connection in the condo is wired even though they have a wireless router and “could” support it. The Ethernet cable is very short as well, so we had to put a chair right next to the router – a 20-25 foot cable would have been nice so we could sit on the couch rather than to the side of the TV. We also had problems with the initial Ethernet connection – even though I was getting a DHCP IP address and could ping the local router, I wasn’t able to get DNS (name resolution) to the internet. My profession is in IT, so troubleshooting an internet connection was the last thing I wanted to do right when we arrived, and I didn’t want to call and pay for support as they have a suggested person to contact in case of problems. Luckily simply powering the router off and back on resolved the issue – which I should have started with. Also a few lights were burnt out throughout the condo – one of the nightstand lights, and one of the smaller ceiling lights in both the bathroom and kitchen. The AC in the bedroom is also very noisy, however with the ceiling fan in the bedroom and AC in the living room we stayed plenty cool at night. My wife would also like to suggest a large cutting knife for pineapple and other melons. There was one long knife in the drawer but it was as sharp as a butter knife. Also – maybe some more forks, there may have only been two in the drawer. ~30 spoons and only 2 forks… weird. They did have a binder in the condo which answered any of our remaining questions like proper use of the washer/dryer and information about the condo complex – very useful.

TIPS:

Location:
The Residencias Reef condo complex is a ways from town – maybe 10 miles (20 minutes) to the main square. We drove to the Caleta (marina) on two mornings as we were diving some northern reefs and it took maybe 10 minutes. So I’d highly recommend renting a car. And I mean a car, not a scooter. Between the crazy taxi and scooter drivers you feel like you’re playing a video game driving around the island, I’m surprised there aren’t more fatalities – so stick with a car or Jeep.

Shopping:
Mega for groceries, Zermatt’s bakery (on 5th and 4th Notre) for morning pastries, and any street pharmacy for meds or bug bite cream – Mega’s pharmacy sucks. Beyond that is my wife’s arena as she likes to go from store to store, and street vendor to street vendor. My main purpose is to talk all of them down 50%. As one street vendor pitched us: “Same junk, less money” – yep, that pretty much summed up my goal as I was dragged along on shopping trips. My favorite saying was “No Mas.”

Restaurants:
Now this is my arena. If there is one thing I know it’s good food, which is why we didn’t go the all-inclusive route and planned to eat out at dinner each night. As I mentioned earlier – Zermatt’s is great for pastries and breakfast type meals – super cheap as well as most items are 5-8 pesos. It’s also a half block up from Blue Magic Scuba – the best dive shop on the island. Dinner-wise you can’t go wrong with Guidos, La Choza, one of the Missions’s (La Mission, Casa Mission, etc..) or Kondessa. A lot of people rave about Kinta, which is my wife’s favorite, but I think their new sister restaurant Kondessa is better. Also about 2 miles south of the condo on the beach is Albertos – a little gem we found last year after we were tired of the all-inclusive food. Their fish tacos and fajitas are amazing. Other notable dishs/drinks is the Sangria at Guidos and “In Guac we trust” at Kondessa.

Scuba Diving:
Blue Magic Scuba – small dive boats with typically only 2-4 other divers and great customer service. We’ve done 36 dives with them over the past 3 years and couldn’t imagine going anywhere else.

Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
Tourists Large groups

Reviewed 16 March 2011 for a stay in March 2011

Your age range 25-34
Management Response
16 Mar 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We're glad you enjoyed the furnishings from the remodel!
CT

Reviewed 16 August 2010 for a stay in July 2010

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 18-24
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing