“you get what you pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hotel El Marques
Hotel El Marques
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
A TripAdvisor Member
“you get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2006

feb 2003
cindy from ,minnesota
My husband and I stayed at the El Marquez, The rooms were clean, the staff were ok. But...The mattress on one of the other bed in our room had a very large blood stain on the upper right side. We asked the staff to remove it from our room and get us another one. When we came back to the room and checked the mattress to see if they gave us a new one all they did was turn the mattress over so we could not see the blood.(like some one would sleep on it just becuse they turned it up side down.) Makes you wonder what happend to the previous person that was sleeping on it!!! So we used the other bed and My husband ended up with tiny spider bites all over the back of his neck and back. He thinks from the pillow.
We also had to ask for towels because none of our rooms had any. For the most part our stay was ok, The mattress kind of ruined it,but...it did give us quite good stories to tell every one when we got home :-)The hotel was quiet and they did have a security gaurd. We went with my sister,her husband and another couple. Except for the mattress, we all had a good time.
i.e. see barbie from minnesota for her review

• Stayed February 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oakdale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2006

Barbie from Minnesota!

My sister and I, along with our husbands and another couple booked a room at the El Marques in 2003 on the suggestion of a friend that had stayed there previously. While the price is a deal, the old saying "you get what you pay for" was never more true. While I wouldn't say that the rooms were unclean... they were tidy... my sister's matress had a pool of dried blood at the head of the bed. If that isn't enough to scare you, she complained to the front desk and asked that it be taken care of and all they did was come in the room, flip the mattress over and put the blood stain at the foot of the bed... underneath. Clever solution to that problem for sure! We were appalled! They do not have the concept of blood born pathogens... apparently! If it wouldn't have been for the blood stain on the mattress and the red spider bites that my brother in law developed all over his neck, back and chest which he thinks he got from said mattress, we might like to say something nice... like it was probably ok for $35 dollars a night, but I think he spent more than that in topical creams to get rid of the spider bites...ouch! Lots of steps to walk up... which is what you get for $35.00 so if you do a lot of walking through the day, you might not make it up to your room! The hotel was quiet and they also had a security person which was nice. Although my sister had problems, we were ok. To end with saying something nice also... it was an ok accomadation for $35.00... I think we are all smart enough to realize that we are not going to get the "El Presidente" for that price. i.e...see review from Cindy from Minnesota.

• Stayed February 2003
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Barbara L

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

College Station, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

For budget-conscious vacationers who are already spending a hefty chunk for their scuba diving, El Marques offers great value that keeps a world-class dive vacation within range. You get a big, clean, well air-conditioned room with a fridge, and good bathroom with hot shower. There are cheaper places downtown, but El Marques offers a level of comfort many others don't. I had paid $20/nite for a Christmas week single in 1995, and my girlfriend and I paid $28/nite for 3 nites New Years 2004. If you are just off the plane, get pesos from one of several ATMs in the same block, so you can pay in cash pesos to get the lowest rate. They do take all credit cards, but you pay more, ditto paying in dollars. Fridge makes it handy to stock up on beverages at supermarket prices. Fine location just off the main plaza downtown close to all the good reasonable dining, drinking, shopping and exploring, and close to seawall - just two blocks from the main dive boat pier and two blocks from the ferry pier. I think all the rooms have at least 2 double beds. Quiet, respectful of privacy, secure. They will gladly store your credit cards, travel documents, etc. in the hotel safe and tell you exactly what hours you have access to your goods. Scrupulously honest family-run operation. Always very courteous and helpful front desk and great housekeeping.

You do have to go up 2 short flights of stairs to get to the reception, and there is no elevator from there, so definitely try to get a room on the reception floor if you're hauling a couple heavy dive bags, and going to be carrying gear out and back from your day's dives. This last trip we got a room just a couple doors down the hall from reception, so it was fine. Phones, but no in-room TV, so bring a good book. There is a comfortable little lobby with a balcony overlooking the pedestrian mall, and a satellite TV with US channels to keep up with news and weather. In fact, my first trip I watched parts of some bowl and NFL playoff games there. I've made probably 30 trips to Cozumel in the past 16 years, stayed lots of places downtown and in the south hotel zone. El Marques is the best value, hands down.

Stayed January 2004
4 Thank myomayaman
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2005

I went to Cozumel over springbreak on VERY short notice. While trying to book a room I came across the Hotel El Marques. They had space, it was walking distance to the ferry, and it was cheap ($44 a night including tax).
Although this was not what I would typically want when travelling on an ocean based vacation, it worked out fine.

The hotel was clean, the mattresses were of typical Mexican ultra firm. The staff was excellent with great service, helpfull attitude, and cheery smile everytime you walk by the front desk.

Be aware that this is a 4 story hotel with a walk up to all floors. It is downtown and can be noisy if you want your windows open, however the AC and closed windows meant I slept fine. Doors don't feel real secure but they have a night watchman in the lobby every night.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mjmc
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2004

My son and I chanced upon this hotel on a spur-of-the-moment trip to Cozumel. We wanted to stay downtown, rather than in the outlying beach areas, and were on a very tight budget. This family owned, small hotel was just what we were looking for. 1/2 block from the main plaza in San Miguel on a little sidestreet that was pedestrian only - almost part of the plaza. The rooms were clean, fairly large, offered air-conditioning, a nice tile shower, a balcony, daily maid service, and a small refrigerator for less than $30 a night (in 2001). THey gave a 10% discount for a seven day stay. The people running the place were very nice.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member