Flamingo Hotel
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
Hotel Pepita(Cozumel)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe penthouseboutique hotelroof terracesuperior roomquiet streethot waterferry dockscooter rentalsmall hotelplaya del carmensan miguelno elevatorthird floorair conditionerivanisisbartender
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was a really great deal for the amount of space you get. I would've loved to have a kitchenette (yes I think they could fit one in the spacious room!) and a coffee pot. I won't let those small details keep me from staying here again. The beds were really comfortable and I am picky about that. The staff was great! The place was in a great location for us since it was a 3 block walk from the ferry when we arrived and just an $8 cab ride to the airport when we left. The end of our street was a nice spot to catch the carnival parade. Nice neighborhood with a lot of friendly locals. Breakfast was good. The hotel bar was a great spot to have a drink or 2 (happy hour 430-6 i think) and the place always smelled great from the steak restaurant down the street. Have been recommending this place to friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarahsquat
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel was nice and served its purpose well. Based on reviews it was between here and Hotel B, and since this place was half the price we figured this was the way to go. The advantages about this hotel are reasonable price, nice people and service, 2 blocks from the main plaza and lots of restaurants, 3-4 blocks from the ferry port (also close to airport, ~500 mtrs), also great breakfast (coconut french toast is amazing!!). The room we stayed in ("superior") had a nice queen sized bed and was basically a studio with a very limited ocean view off the small balcony. It was clean, the bathroom was nice with plenty of hot water. limited noise from the street, overall very peaceful I thought.
As far as downsides, I was a little disappointed with lack of beach access in the area, but I think this was more because of a lack of knowledge of the island on my part. We ended up renting a scooter at Isis for 3 days and this worked out perfectly as far as getting around to snorkel and beach spots in the island. Also, their "jacuzzi" on the top of the building was a tub with cold water in it that may not have been changed in a while, the heater didn't work. There is no pool but a sunbathing area on top next to the jacuzzi.
Overall, it is a simple place that serves its purpose well for the price. It was a good home base as long as you have some form of transportation to get around the island to explore. I thought about renting a car but I am not sure where I would have parked it. The Isis scooter people were really nice and let us keep the scooter there at night while we weren't using it.
Also, Ramon's dive shop next door is a nice resource to have since they are a group of really nice guys that will take you out diving or snorkeling for a decent price.

Room Tip: we chose the superior option, didn't see any other rooms so I don't know what to compare it to. our room 31 was nice and had a very small balcony with a limited view of the ocean. there is a penthouse on top, not sure how much it is but it looked big and nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I thought that I would take a few minutes to write a review of this little Hotel. I found the Hotel to be very clean, the staff friendly helpful and honest, and a quiet environment in the central of town. What an enjoyable place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We read the reviews for Flamingo on tripadvisor and asked on check in about the two negatives that concerned us. One -" no hot water". This was definitely not true. The water was so hot I need to add some cold. Two-" the safes don't lock". We upgraded to a superior room and the safe lock did not work. Adrian, the manager, came in from home to fix it.
We found the hotel to be delightful. The manager and staff are friendly and helpful. They go beyond the norm to meet needs and requests. The manager and each staff member greeted us warmly each morning. Ivan, the bar tender makes great margaritas and mojitas and is the resident expert on where to go for dinner.
While this is a three star hotel, the service is definitely five star.

Room Tip: The superior rooms have a sitting area that gives a feeling of openness.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Based on Tripadvisor we chose this hotel, and while the room was spacious and nice enough, it was shockingly dark due to poor lighting. This could easily be fixed, but after looking at other rooms, equally dark, it seems they are trying too hard to save electricity, both by few lights, and by using tiny CFL bulbs. There is one light on the wall which had a 12 watt bulb (60 watt equiv for incandescent) and one table lamp with 5 watt (25 watt equiv.), plus the 5 watt in the bathroom which made it seem dingy and not clean. The last day I discovered one more 5 watt bulb above the safe and open closet area... the room had been so dark I hadn't noticed.

The only window in the room looks out to the walkway to rooms (this is the case with most of the rooms) so if you don't mind people looking into your room, you could have more light during the day. General noise from this walkway and open courtyard are a bit annoying.

They only provide two towels and wash cloths, no hand towels, so that is another spartan aspect of this generally clean and decent hotel.

The highlight of Flamingo is Ivan, the bartender and evening manager. He makes great mojitos, and is always friendly and helpful. Wish I'd discovered sooner that they have a happy hour.

The last day of our stay I discovered a rooftop area with lounge chairs and a non-functioning hot tub. This rooftop was great at sunset.

The continental breaky was nothing special, so we tried the upgrade one morning which was good with eggs, but we didn't get the rest of the fruit, etc. we had with the continental, so a bit of a tradeoff thinking we'd get more for the $ 2.50 upgrade. The breaky was also a problem in that service was slow (not a buffet, serve yourself like most places), so I totally missed breakfast one morning in the rush to go diving.

Room Tip: Avoid 23, too many people walking by, too much noise. Maybe travel with a 12 watt LED bulb.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends