“Flamingo. The unexpected.”

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Rockville, Maryland
“Flamingo. The unexpected.”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I'd change the name of this hotel if I could. It looks and feels nothing like a Flamingo. I've never seen a Flamingo in Cozumel and moreover they are pink, not yellow. We did not know what to expect from the pics online and the hotel's web site. If anything I expected to find a run down dump with a mattress and a small bathroom.

What we got was COMPLETELY different! From the start I liked this place. The open air front desk and bar greeted us. The room we had on the third floor was huge and so nice I had to check my bill! Windows that opened to flowers and humming birds. A large bathroom with everything. Even a sitting area with a TV. There was a small fridge fully stocked with extremely reasonably priced beverages and snacks (I raided this after several nights at the bar, and in the AM after a night...at the bar). Ivan makes THE BEST drinks.

Nothing but the best service, this place has everything a luxury hotel claims to offer, but with a better atmosphere and no crowds. Situated in the best location too. There is a museum just around the corner from Flamingo that you should check out when you go.

Thanks Flamingo for making our trip (Blue Planet Scuba) a very memorable experience, both in the Ocean and out. I will definitely be back!

PS, I rated the pool 5 circles because the pool is the ocean and there's no better place than that!

Room Tip: Tip: book, open door, enjoy.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tecumseh, Nebraska
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I genuinely enjoyed our stay at the Flamingo. The room was beautiful! Very clean, with a very comfortable bed. It was nice to have a hair dryer in the room. The staff was friendly and helpful. Good location, about half a block down from the waterfront shopping and restaurants. There is no pool, however, so be advised if this is an issue for you.

Room Tip: We had the Superior room, which we loved. I did hear from another couple that the beds in the regul...
hotelflamingo, Owner at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your gracious comments. We do have a cool down jacuzzi on the rooftop sun deck for guests and we also have an arrangement with a local beach club where there is pool access.
We hope to see you again at the Flamingo!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We missed our flight out of Cozumel and found the last room in the city due to the Carnival taking place. We could not have been luckier! Ivan (the bartender) was so helpful and accomodating. I wish we could have stayed more than one night. It's just lovely and one block or so from the ocean. I highly recommend this place and we intend to stay there on our next visit!

hotelflamingo, Owner at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that we were able to accommodate you during that busy period and look forward to seeing you again in the future !
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was a really great deal for the amount of space you get. I would've loved to have a kitchenette (yes I think they could fit one in the spacious room!) and a coffee pot. I won't let those small details keep me from staying here again. The beds were really comfortable and I am picky about that. The staff was great! The place was in a great location for us since it was a 3 block walk from the ferry when we arrived and just an $8 cab ride to the airport when we left. The end of our street was a nice spot to catch the carnival parade. Nice neighborhood with a lot of friendly locals. Breakfast was good. The hotel bar was a great spot to have a drink or 2 (happy hour 430-6 i think) and the place always smelled great from the steak restaurant down the street. Have been recommending this place to friends and family.

1 Thank Sarahsquat
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel was nice and served its purpose well. Based on reviews it was between here and Hotel B, and since this place was half the price we figured this was the way to go. The advantages about this hotel are reasonable price, nice people and service, 2 blocks from the main plaza and lots of restaurants, 3-4 blocks from the ferry port (also close to airport, ~500 mtrs), also great breakfast (coconut french toast is amazing!!). The room we stayed in ("superior") had a nice queen sized bed and was basically a studio with a very limited ocean view off the small balcony. It was clean, the bathroom was nice with plenty of hot water. limited noise from the street, overall very peaceful I thought.
As far as downsides, I was a little disappointed with lack of beach access in the area, but I think this was more because of a lack of knowledge of the island on my part. We ended up renting a scooter at Isis for 3 days and this worked out perfectly as far as getting around to snorkel and beach spots in the island. Also, their "jacuzzi" on the top of the building was a tub with cold water in it that may not have been changed in a while, the heater didn't work. There is no pool but a sunbathing area on top next to the jacuzzi.
Overall, it is a simple place that serves its purpose well for the price. It was a good home base as long as you have some form of transportation to get around the island to explore. I thought about renting a car but I am not sure where I would have parked it. The Isis scooter people were really nice and let us keep the scooter there at night while we weren't using it.
Also, Ramon's dive shop next door is a nice resource to have since they are a group of really nice guys that will take you out diving or snorkeling for a decent price.

Room Tip: we chose the superior option, didn't see any other rooms so I don't know what to compare it...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I thought that I would take a few minutes to write a review of this little Hotel. I found the Hotel to be very clean, the staff friendly helpful and honest, and a quiet environment in the central of town. What an enjoyable place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We read the reviews for Flamingo on tripadvisor and asked on check in about the two negatives that concerned us. One -" no hot water". This was definitely not true. The water was so hot I need to add some cold. Two-" the safes don't lock". We upgraded to a superior room and the safe lock did not work. Adrian, the manager, came in from home to fix it.
We found the hotel to be delightful. The manager and staff are friendly and helpful. They go beyond the norm to meet needs and requests. The manager and each staff member greeted us warmly each morning. Ivan, the bar tender makes great margaritas and mojitas and is the resident expert on where to go for dinner.
While this is a three star hotel, the service is definitely five star.

Room Tip: The superior rooms have a sitting area that gives a feeling of openness.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple