“perfect hotel in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Flamingo Hotel

Flamingo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“perfect hotel in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

our stay at Flamingo was an excellent experience. It is not a 5 star, luxurious all inclusive hotel. That is not the type of hotel we wanted either though. It is an excellent place to stay downtown, close to all the great restaurants and shops. We basically just wanted a place to keep our stuff and sleep for the night as we were out exploring or diving everyday. this hotel is perfect for that. We rented a car from ISIS which was right down the street, and never had any problems finding parking within a block of the hotel every night. Taxis can be called for you or are literally a 2 minute walk away.

The hotel is very clean and well kept with a warm decor. It is within a block of the ocean, and 5 minutes from the ferry terminal and main square. The staff is very attentive to anything you need. The hotel definitely provided a quiet, laid back relaxing atmosphere. The breakfast in the mornings was only a couple bucks and was absolutely delicious.

I recommend going out and trying the different restaurants downtown. all within walking distance and all absolutely delicious. El Candella and Al Pie de Carbon were my favorite, and they are literally right next to the hotel.

The best part was hearing of other people complaining about the mediocre service and food that they had at there all inclusive while we were out. our room was not only cheaper (well under 100 usd per night) but even eating out 3 meals a day downtown it was still well under the cost of the AI and the food downtown could not be beat.

Ivan, the bartender at flamingo, was absolutely awesome, he really made our first trip to Cozumel worth it. He made many great recommendations on things to do or not do around the island (we were trying to avoid most of the touristy stuff). He also helped us plan our entire trip on the mainland visiting 4 different Mayan ruin sites, multiple cenotes, and the town of valladolid. This was an amazing experience that with Ivan's help made so much better. He also makes excellent drinks. I have never been a big margarita person but his were delicious.

On a side note, I would highly recommend getting a rental car (ISIS has the best rates in town, don't rent at airport. Plus all insurance is included with her price). This will give you freedom to do what you want where you want. Plus you will save a lot of money doing this instead of signing up for various tours and getting stuck in a van and being on a time table for all the places you go.

Bottom line, I would highly recommend staying at the Flamingo. the staff is awesome and will make sure you are taken care of. It is in a great location downtown that is both quiet yet convenient to great restaurants and shopping. I will definitely be staying here again next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DevinLong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Pros: Cleanliness, friendly staff, good location

Cons: The only complaints (not many): free/complimentary breakfast was very small (for $2 extra, you can order a larger breakfast; we never tried it, but rumor is that it is worth it), beds were not very comfortable. Other than that, everything was great!

Location: Downtown location: close to the water, restaurants, shopping, taxis, etc.

We enjoyed our stay at the Flamingo Hotel. It was our first trip to Cozumel, so we didn't know what to expect. The staff was suberb and was always willing to offer us help and advice.

For those traveling to Cozumel, I would recommend renting a car for at least one day from ISIS and traveling over to the "other side" of the island. The day we did that it was BY FAR our favorite day: less crowded beaches, gorgeous views, not as many tourists, and nice drive. Also, make sure to eat at Burritos Gorditos (right by Isis) at least once for breakfast and once for lunch: excellent, filling food! If you enjoy snorkeling, we liked Playa Azul because it's a free beach (you should purchase food/drinks since the beach is free) and it is not very crowded. The snorkeling is best to the right side of the public beach along the shore. Punta Morena is a great beach ("other side" of the island) as well, but the water not good for snorkeling as the water is a bit rough. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megans0101
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 7 days. As others have mentioned the hotel is located in a quieter part of San Miguel. You can walk to great restaurants at night and a taxi is less than 1/2 a block down the street. We rented a car from ISIS and they allowed us to park the car in their lot for the week. (Flamingo doesn't have parking). Honestly though, grabbing a taxi is just as easy.

There is no close, walking distance private beaches to Flamingo. You must drive to them. It looks like you could hypothetically swim off the boardwalk but there are a lot of boats. Probably not safe.

We got the deluxe room as many people on here highly recommended it. I was not disappointed! The king size bed was very comfortable with the best pillows ever. The room air conditioning was great. Definitely was quite a shock to see most places, restaurants, shops, etc are NOT air conditioned. Also full breakfast is included in the room. Definitely worth it. Breakfast is amazing with authentic Mexican breakfast dishes and really great coffee. My favorite was the croissant breakfast sandwich, doesn't sound too Mexican but it was definitely different than the states and delicious. :-)

As others mentioned the shower water pressure is a little low. Quite honestly though, when you've had too much sun, a nice light shower is exactly what you want. It was perfect on sunburn. :-)

Ivan the bartender is great! He makes the best cocktails and smoothies ever (and is very friendly). The maids do a wonderful job cleaning the rooms everyday. We always came back to such a clean space, especially considering how much sand we had tracked in.

We are not resort people. We like to explore areas on our own. Flamingo was great! Close to everything. Wifi worked in our room so we could figure out where we were going for the day. We were able to explore the island and get a taste of the culture, something that a resort type atmosphere is not going to provide.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marialikestotravel
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 8 days. I was looking for a hotel that was inexpensive, yet clean, quiet, and with comfortable beds. I prefer to spend money on dining and diving :-)
Well, I was not disappointed. The hotel was exactly what I was looking for. In the heart of downtown, 3 minutes from taxis, and nice and quiet at night.
It did not have a lot of rooms which is what I was hoping for. For this trip, I did not want unending rows of rooms, fancy pool, away from downtown. I wanted us to stay close to where a lot of the wonderful restaurants were found, and not have to take a taxi every time I wanted to leave the hotel. For that reason, we avoided the expensive hotels/resorts down south of the island. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the pampering for those trips... But, this trip was all about diving, and eating.
On the minus side, the water was definitely a bit on the weak side, and it would have helped if it had a little more pressure. But, other than that, that's it. Even got to me the owner of the hotel, and she was rather charming. The beds were very comfortable, and the AC was just wonderful coming back from a nice day of diving.
The bar was nice and Ivan made the best mojitos!
Hector was very attentive to all of our needs at the front desk and very accommodating getting us a room on the ground floor as I just tore my ACL 2 days before leaving our trip... But, fear not, I was able to dive... somehow.... and had a blast!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CharlesMae
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Although my friend and I only stayed for 3 nights, it was the perfect fit for us. The breakfast was delicious, rooms were very clean, the staff was very helpful and they have a great bar. The overall hotel is beautifully decorated and the open eating area is very relaxing. The location is perfect since it is a distance away from the cruise ports but walking distance to the city center. We took a staff member's suggestion to rent a car and drive around the island to the more local spots and had a blast! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amanda E
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Hard to beat the excitement of returning to a hotel that you are greeted with a hug. I truely don't have one complaint. From Carolinas' breakfast every morning ,to getting directions to Humane Society, to helping me contact a person that used to work there- this is the most wonderful bunch of people i have ever known. I am proud to call them my friends :) The 2 pre-teen girls with us were excited every day to see what towel animals Elizabeth had made for them. Adrian and Hector are amazing people that makes me know I want to come back ,,, SOON.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank knerak
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed 10 days at Flamingo. Solo traveler, male, American. Very nice rooms, very clean and one of the most comfortable beds I slept on ever! Very low priced breakfast that is wonderfully presented, if you choose the upgrade from the continental. No robe as mentioned on site.

The staff seemed very nice and genuinely concerned with your comfort, at first. As time went on it became evident that it was more than a little disingenuous on the part of the 'male' contingent. Batman's TwoFace. Beware of some of the recommendations made by the staff.

I had a terrible experience with Aquatic Sports, who hooked me up with a 'dive master' Christobel, who should not be in the business. Since there were only myself and another couple (very experienced) on the dive, I expected to receive some personal attention. I had not been diving since receiving my Open Water PADI in 1998. Much to my disappointment, I received very little and a "don't care attitude" I found very offensive. This was NOT a SAFE DIVE. I didn't make the second dive on the trip because I didn't want to dive with Chris again. In addition, the Owner of the store proceeded to "forget" to bring my $10 change from the $100 given to pay for the trip. Again, don't care attitude. I left it for the boat Captain and mate as tip. Not much honor with these people. As for Flamingo, the manager, rather than trying to mitigate, suggested that maybe I should try another Dive Shop. No, really? Though he did offer to repay the $10.

Isis Scooter rental around the corner, excellent. A highlight of the trip, being able to travel about town and the Island. El Amigo Abelardo across the street, EXCELLENT place for breakfast or lunch.

Have to WARN, there are dogs on the roof of neighboring property to Flamingo that bark ALL the time, and I mean all the time. Water pressure very low, but maybe this is island wide. It would help to fix the leaking shower head. Hot water was sporadic. WiFi did not reach many of the rooms, if this is important to you. It has to be used from the lobby, or the day bed located on the floor. Heard one complaint that the air conditioning did not work in their room.

Room Tip: Third floor is very quiet, but I don't think noise is a problem anywhere.