“We love this place”
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Great for: diving, relaxing, great food and the best staff on the island. If you are coming to Coz to dive this should be the place to stay. Instruction: Patience, professionalism and most important Matt (Mateo). They all go out of their way to make sure you have a great time.

Not Great for: Families with small kids. Nice pool but is more situated for adults.

Rooms are big and open with simple decor. Clean and tidy thanks to Francisco.

Management: Jeanie and Eva all do a great job and I can't say enough about Andrea up front. She is wonderfully helpful.

Restaurant: Should be on your list to visit while in Coz. There are plenty of expensive and bad food restaurants in Coz. this is in the top 5 on the island. Maybe top 3.

Only issues we had: Matresses need to be replaced in 104 specifically. Never had a harder mattress. TV reception is really bad also. Both of these items are easily fixable.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Not a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 September 2011

My husband and I just returned from a great week of dving at the Blue Angel Hotel and Dive Shop. The diving was great. The food at the restaurant was the best. Our accomodations were clean and very confortable. We can't say enough good things about the staff. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Andrea and Denise at the front desk, to Martha in the kitchen! The dive staff are very professional and try to accomodate eveyones' wishes. We look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: We liked the fourth floor for the view, but not for everyone since there is no elevator. We just co...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

5 night stay/4 days of diving. Warm, friendly, helpful staff. Great diving and divemasters - Jose and Eddie. Very comfortable accomodations. Excellent food. What more could we ask? Would go back again! Loved it. Only regret - should have stayed a whole week.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Everyone we met involved with the B.A. was super hospitable and from start to finish went above and beyond. Eva is just straight awsome people, as well as my dive instructor Amber whom was very patient and very thorough and made my open water check out as perfect as i could have every envisioned. The service that we recieved from Marteen in the Dive Shop as well as the crew on the boat was second to none. With out a doubt my next visit to cozumel will include Blue Angel Resort, thats a fact!!!!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank larskagel
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Blue Angel Resort is definitely one of the best establishments, if not the best, in Cozumel!  My friends and I stayed here in August 2011 for a 4-day diving trip.  Believe me when I say that the customer service is top notch.  From the first time I contacted them to make a reservation until the day we checked out, the staff made me feel that they really cared about their guests.  Jeanie worked with me patiently with room and diving reservations.  I had many questions and requests because I wanted to make the trip memorable for friends and I.  I requested bigger tanks, the same private divemaster for all 10 dives we did, gear rental, etc. and she made everything happened!

My friends and I were very surprised when we walked to the front desk to check in because they knew our name already before we even introduced ourselves.  To me, that is a big deal.  The check-in process was smooth.  After we settled down, we went to the Dive Shop to inquire about shore diving and confirm our boat dive reservations.  Again, the staff knew who we were already.

Our private DM, Martin, was awesome.    We are novice divers and he knew it how to handle the situation.  He made us feel safe and comfortable.  He went through the dive plans before each dive.  We told him what we wanted to see and he took us to the perfect reefs.  One of our request was to go beyond 100ft as that has been one of our goals in this trip.  He assesed our skills and comfort level.  He started on easy dives and then progressed to more challenging ones the following day.  On our last/third day, he finally took us to Palancar Deep where we went 109ft.  He also worked with the private videographer we hired and they planned together to determine the best sites they could take us for video taking purposes.  They wanted to make sure the video looked great!  In addition, I've had multiple equipment issues.  One was I forgot my regulator (yeah stupid mistake) and I thought I was going to miss out on two dives (twilight and night dives).  I was gonna be OK with it because it was my fault but Martin and the crew went to another site and asked other boats if they had a spare regulator.  They got me one!!!!!  I was able to go diving.  Yeah!  How's that for a service?  Another equipment issue I had was my regulator hose leaked air.  Martin took it to "Pony" (spelling?) at the dive shop to get it checked out.  They determined that it's too dangerous to leave as is, so they loaned me a hose so that I can still use my own equipment and not have to rent. I could go on and on with the top notch service that we received but I don't want to make this too long.  I just want to quickly add that  the owner, Eva, was very nice and talked to us several times.  There was a time that she greeted us when we arrived from our boat dives and asked us how it went.  When we were at the lobby, she asked if there's anything she could do for us.  Very nice eh?

The food and drinks at the restaurants were delish!  My favorite was the Diver's Luncheon and Chile's Relleno.  As for the drinks, I liked how Denise mixed the Blue Angel Rita as well as the Margarita Rita.  All items were reasonably priced compared to the tourist trap restaurants in downtown Cozumel.

Some drawbacks are -- no elevator (but if you're diving, you should have no problem with 1 to 4 flights of stairs anyways) and no internet access in the rooms (the owner should be able to fix this easily).

I can't say enough good things about the staff and service in this resort.  I know one thing, I will definitely be back.  My friends and I are already talking about it!  If you're looking for a convenient, friendly, and reasonably priced dive resort in Cozumel, look no further because Blue Angel has got it all!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Just got back form Cozumel. Had a delightful dinner, sunset and romatic music with My Lovie........Highly recommend. Had the Mango shrimp salad. Lovie had tthe "MEGA" Natcho. Eva and the staff are wonderful!!!!! I think the music nights are sunday - wed. Gotta put this on the "Gotta do List". We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Well, we just got back from a wonderful week staying and diving with Blue Angel.

My last three trips to Coz have been with a LDS group, staying at Scuba Club. This was our first trip without the group and staying at Blue Angel. BA turned out to be exactly what I expected, but I didn't really fully appreciate the waterfront location until I experienced it. It is really amazing to wake up every morning and be able to see a great view of the sea....without even getting out of bed. To us, it really added a huge dimension to the trip.

So, starting with the hotel, it's a very small hotel with around 20 rooms, located on four stories (no elevator). I think all the rooms are set up about the same. Large, basic, very clean. Each with a large private balcony (or patio for the three ground floor rooms). The rooms have a tv (we never turned ours on) and a telephone (which we never used). Ours had a good size dresser, along with some cubbies built in to one wall next to a clothes rod. There's a decent sized pool between the rooms and the boat dock, but the pool area is relatively small, so you feel like you're practically right on the water. Someone described the rooms as "spartan". We were on the third floor, which I think was perfect. High enough to get a wonderful view, yet not adding another set of stairs each time you're going to or from your room (which was really only an issue at the very beginning and end, carrying all our equipment).

There's a nice (but, not fancy) lobby area with a handful of tables and chairs that almost always had a couple folks using the wifi (which doesn't reach most rooms), watching a dvd, or having a drink and chatting. The lobby was a great place to meet and chat with other guests throughout the week. Everyone is, of course, very upbeat and very friendly.

The restaurant adjoins the hotel proper (connected by one flight of stairs) and is open air. The wait staff were just wonderful. The menu was mostly Mexican, but some American dishes. All breakfasts are included, plus lunches on pre-paid dive days. I think one dinner is also included. I tend to just order something straight off the menu. My wife, on the other hand, would ask for something like: I'll have the omelet, but small, no bacon or potatoes, but can I have fruit instead, and I really like mango and kiwi. All she got was smiles from the waiters and exactly what she ordered from the kitchen. What a breath of fresh air.

Lunch prices were generally around $7 (USD), but a few went to $10. Dinners were $10 - $15. We loved the "super burger" and the "divers lunch" which was a terrific garlic butter fish filet. They also have happy hour from 4:00 - 6:30 when drinks were 2 for 1 and hearty tapas (usually $8) were also 2 for 1. A couple times, we went at 6:15 and each had a tapa. (Wife and I shared, with me getting more than my fair share, but both had plenty to eat.) Dinner for two, $8. Sunset was usually around 7:30 and the open-air restaurant was a great place to watch it from. (An even better place? Your own balcony....or bed.)

The dive operation was excellent. My wife hadn't been diving since she was certified almost four years ago. I wanted this to be a very enjoyable re-introduction for her, so we hired Matt (from Chicago) for a refresher course on our arrival afternoon. Matt couldn't dive after that because he was flying home for a visit, so we hired Tony Vilet, a dive master and videographer, to dive with Cathy for the next three days....two shore dives on Sunday, a big-boat dive on Monday and a small fast-boat dive on Tuesday. He was very competent and patient and very reassuring for her. It may have been a bit extravagant to hire private help for her for four days....we probably could have comfortably got by with three days, but I wanted to err on the side of safe, not sorry. Cathy had no interest in going diving after our certification (I've since logged about 180 dives in the Caribbean). Now, she's a comfortable, happy diver. We're going back in October.

The dive shop has a wonderful staff who did everything you could ask for to please. We especially liked Martin, but they were all great. There's a locker area that is locked up at night. Most folks didn't lock their stuff, but you can if you bring your own lock. (Make sure it's not too thick, because they have chains that won't fit a real thick padlock.) There's also a long rod and hangers in the locker area to hang your wetsuit. I noticed that some folks carried their gear to their room each evening, but we were very happy using the community lockers. (By the way, my wife used rental gear, except she had her own computer. I'm not a gear expert, but her stuff worked great all week. She had a problem early in the week with her full fins rubbing the backs of her heels. They switched her to booties and open back fins, which worked great. Not sure if all dive shops would have offered booties and open fins. They rent 3 mil full wetsuits, which was fine for Cathy.)

The primary dive time is 8:00, which was a bit early for us, but you quickly get into the swing of starting early. They had between one and three small, fast boats leaving each morning. The dive masters allowed the divers to decide what sites we'd go to. We dove with Jorge and Jose. Both were very nice and seemed very competent. We preferred Jose's style because he pointed out more stuff than Jorge, but some folks preferred Jorge. We were very happy diving with either one. They then usually had a large boat going out at 11:00, that took some folks from the mainland. This worked out for us on our first boat dive day because Cathy had been more used to giant stride entries. The downside to the 11:00 trip is that they're on a schedule. Gotta get in two dives, then back to the ferry. That meant they limited the dives to 45 minutes. That worked for us the first day, but most folks wouldn't have liked the short bottom times. (As I think about it, I don't think we got any choice in dive sites on that trip, either.) Then, after lunch, there was usually another small boat, if there were at least three divers signed up.

They offered night boat dives if they had at least three folks sign up.

There's an easy entry shore dive right out front. (This is something I really like....being able to do a shore dive before my first dive, as well as being able to tack on an extra dive or two in the afternoon/evening after my boat dives.) Next door to the property is a large caged area for a very touristy "sting ray" snorkel. You could look through the chain link fence and see the rays swimming about, but you could also see one or two outside the fence. The current out front was pretty strong while we were there. That may be why there weren't may shore divers that we saw. Still, a great option to have available.

The entire staff were great. From Andrea at the front desk, to Sergio and Pedro in the restaurant, to Tony and Martin in the dive shop and the dive masters mentioned above...including Eva, the owner.

There were a few folks staying at BA, but getting picked up at their dock each morning by another dive op.

I know that some folks take advantage of great deals on Orbitz and stay just a few blocks away at Villa Blanca and dive with Scuba Mau or Papa Hogs. We walked down there to take a peek at that option. Villa Blanca (and the two dive ops) are across that street from the water. We didn't even bother to go in VB....I don't care what they offered, I wouldn't trade our view for the Taj Mahal without the view.

We met many very nice, very friendly people down there (which suited Cathy to a tee). My main goal was to re-introduce her to diving in a way that she'd want to go again. One of new friends (Julie) smiled and said, "Mission Accomplished". Like I said, we're going back in October for what was originally planned as a solo trip for me.

I forgot to mention that dealing with Jeanie, the reservations person prior to the trip, was also great. She was very patient and accommodating as I switched this trip from a simple, solo trip for me to a buddy trip with Cathy with rental equipment questions, private dive master questions, etc. I never felt like a nuisance. Thanks, Jeanie.

Sorry about the length of this post. I'm a new, big BA fan.

Ron