“Our second time here.”
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Wonderful small place to stay if you want to stay a bit out of town, but not too far away from town. The restaurant is excellent, staff is friendly and helpful. And so convenient if you add scuba diving to your vacation!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I just came back from a week at the Blue Angel Hotel as a Solo Diver on Vacation. This was the 3rd time I have been to Cozumel in the last 12 years. I had stayed at the Barracuda (low end) and the Intercontinental (high end). The Blue Angel was just perfect! The staff was so friendly and helpful. Eva, the owner has created an incredible atmosphere at BA that you can feel almost immediately and easily become part of it. I was on the 3rd floor with great views. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the small fridge was fine. I have read some bad reviews that complain about the noise from the street. Well if you shut your bathroom door at night the noise is not bad. Keeping the sliding to the porch door shut also helps. Then there are the complaints about no elevators and having to carry gear up 3 – 4 flights of stairs. Well, you should use the free lockers in the dive shop and just bring your wet suit to the room to dry. Easy right? The layout of the property is so convenient for everything and the Tropical flowers & plants are all over the place. Just look at the Giant Blue Angel Mural and you can begin to understand the "Cool Vibe" of the place. The shore diving and swimming off their little beach area is great. The restaurant serves delicious food at very good prices. The breakfast choices are plenty and it is part of the Dive Package. There is a water bubbler on every floor and in the lobby to fill water bottles and stay hydrated. And for 6$ US the Margaritas were outstanding (beers – 2.50$). The massages were very good ($50 for an hour). I opted to have mine outside which was very cool!
The diving was excellent and the DM’s were great. Yes, their boats were on the cramped side and we back flipped, but I had no problem with it. It did seem like there were less “photographer” divers in general probably because of the space issue, which was just fine with me.
I just go on line and look at professional pictures if I want to remember what a Splendid Toad Fish Looks like! ;-)
I highly recommend renting a car at Pay Less Rentals. The cars can be a little worn, but for 255$ you get picked up and dropped off at the airport, free gas, and all the insurance. Nice restaurant to try is Ohana Café, owned by Matt, a Dive Instructor at Blue Angel. They have live music on the weekends (closed on Sunday).The 2 guitar players nailed Santana & Clapton riffs! I had a Spiney Lobster dinner wrapped in Bacon for 16$ US and it was delicious…very good ‘Ritas too.!
A lot of people I met at the Blue Angel were repeat customers and would not think to stay anywhere else. I hope to get back there soon.

Room Tip: I prefer the 3rd or even the 4th floor because of the views. Again, they do have very convenient, fr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank reefeel69
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My two daughters and I stayed at Blue Angel for 3 days last January '13 to complete their PADI open water dive certification. For a very basic resort, everyone was very friendly. Their dive staff was very professional and made my daughters feel at ease. I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a great Cozumel diving experience!

Room Tip: No bad rooms- their is some street noise but not too bad
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We just completed a week-long stay at Blue Angel and we have nothing but good things to say. We give it the highest rating not because it's a super-fancy 5-star hotel (it's not and it doesn't pretend to be), but because it met or exceeded it's promises in every area. Let's be clear--it's a dive resort, and that's the main focus. The rooms are exceptionally functional for divers, but they are more than functional, they're really quite nice. Our group consisted of my wife (a non-diver), myself, our two sons (17 & 19), and one of their friends (17). We had two rooms, and each met our needs exceptionally well (notably, every room has an ocean-side balcony). While the rooms were nice, what really made Blue Angel stand out is the staff. Every single person we dealt with was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. After a day or two, we felt like we had known them and been friends forever. We received exceptional service from all of the hotel and restaurant staff, from all of the dive shop staff--expecially dive masters Norman, Jorge, and Jose--and from Juan Pablo, instructor at the dive school (after 30 years, I finally got around to getting my Advanced Open Water certification). These guys are pros, they know the reefs, and they're a lot of fun, too. The coordination between the hotel, the dive shop, and the dive school was exceptional and it made for some of the most convenient, hassle-free, relaxed diving I've ever experienced. It also helps that everything is right there at your fingertips. The dive shop was also extremely flexible, which allowed us to add several "extra" shore dives, a wreck dive, and a night dive to our itinerary. The hotel desk staff also happily helped us arrange horseback riding, got us a rental car for a day, and even ordered a pizza for us. We relied on Blue Angel's website and a bunch of TripAdvisor postings when we decided to book our trip. Blue Angel did everything they said they would and much more. We are extremely satisfied with every aspect of our trip and hope to get back there soon.

Room Tip: As noted above, every room is "ocean view," and I mean directly facing the ocean with a ni...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Simple, small hotel with adjacent restaurant and dive shop. From reservations to check out, it was a great experience. We dove with the on-site dive shop (fast boats, small groups) and ate at the hotel's restaurant. Excellent service, quality food, good rental equipment and great pricing throughout. All rooms face the water and had surprising little road noise. Clean, spartan, tile-floored rooms with good a/c, balcony, and view. Hotel is on the main drag, with a 10-20 minute, safe walk to downtown. After each day's dive, we walked downtown, did a bit of tourist shopping or went to the grocery store, and walked back to the hotel in time for drinks and dinner at the hotel restaurant (great view and food). Walking distance to a "Swim with the Dolphin" park and next door to a "Swim with the Rays" park. Those places would probably be great for non-divers in your group. My highest recommendation for a diver-oriented hotel.

Room Tip: I'd prefer a higher room for the view. Ground level rooms (only 2 or 3) have patio with direct a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Glenn R
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Everything positive that people write about the resort is true! We had a fantastic week of diving, great accommodations and food. The staff were very helpful from the time we made our reservation until our departure. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The best part is that you walk down a few steps to the dive shop and then to the dock and then up a few steps to the restaurant. For us it was like being on a 'live-aboard'...you never had to leave the premises. Most of the people we dived with had been there multiple times and so it made for a very friendly group of people to dive with. We would definitely return and stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We spent three nights at the Blue Angel Resort (Dec 29-31/2012). First off I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Huit for getting us a reservation. There was one room left in the resort for our nights with a tentative reserve....he chased the folks down for three days to confirm and it turned out...lucky us....that they canceled. We are not divers, really what sold us on this resort was the view from the balconies which as all the pictures show is second to none and it's fairly close proximity to town. This was our first trip to Cozumel and we wanted to explore both the busy west side and the quiet east side. The Blue Angel was the perfect jump off for our vacation. Our first impression of the Inn was a friendly outgoing greeting from our friend Huit.(it was great to finally meet him in person) followed by a friendly greeting from owner Eva who we found out is Canadian. Huit got us to our room and delivered us a fantastic welcome margarita. And yes, the view was stunning. The rooms are basic but extremely clean. I loved the concrete floors - where else can you drip all the way from the shower to the balcony with no guilts?? The rooms were large and if I had one recommendation it would be that when it comes time to replace the beds they should be replaced with queen or king size...the doubles are a bit small for two people and the room was certainly large enough to handle something bigger. As others have said, this isn't a high end resort....it's perfect for divers who wait all year for their chance to get up and head out hassle free....I overhead several of them complementing the set up...many come back year after year. As for the noise...yes, it's noisy. We took it with a grain of salt though knowing that we were spending the rest of our vacation on the east side. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our vacation a success. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good....dinner good but Americanized - we were looking more for local fare. The dive shop staff were friendly and snorkel gear came with our room rental so it was great to just be able to walk downstairs and right into the ocean. All in all a great time and I would certainly recommend the Blue Angel for anyone looking for something different then an all inclusive.

Room Tip: upper floors have a better view and are less noisy but still expect some noise from the road behind...
Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple