“Charming!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Baltimore, Maryland
“Charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I bought a Living Social getaway for this hotel for my husband for our 10th anniversary. I felt confident after reading all the lovely reviews here. We were not disappointed! The property is adorable and meticulously maintained. The rooms are nothing fancy but are large, wonderfully decorated and the beds are super comfy. There isn't a bad view in the place as all the rooms are oceanfront. The complaints about the noise are a bit exaggerated but there is noise coming from the traffic on the street out front. We just closed our bathroom window and it was much better. There is access to the sea right on the property for snorkeling and shore diving and the pool was a wonderfully refreshing treat afterward. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. The restaurant is amazing. Perched on stilts right above the dive shop and the water, we ate many meals here. We also tried to hit happy hour every day. Make sure you try the pina colada and the mango margarita! This resort truly is a gem-rustic, charming and beautiful. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Cozumel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tara J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Finnish first
kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is our 5th time at the Blue Angel Resort and love it more every time. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. It is a quiet hotel and a lot of the guest are divers. You will meet people from all over the world and all walks of life. They have a great restaurant on site, so if you don't feel like going into town you don't have to. I think the fact that we keep returning to the Blue Angle says it all. Love This Place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Canaveral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have stayed at the Blue Angel many times. Although I am not a diver, it is my preferred resort in Cozumel. The restaurant is second to none. (Try the fresh made to order tortellini stuffed with whatever you wish!) The staff is always friendly and welcoming. The views from the rooms and the restaurant are incredible. It boasts the best location on the island. Almost everywhere I want to go is walkable. The nightly entertainment in the restaurant is always divine. I happily refer anyone who asks to this resort.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

8/24/13 to 8/31/13 - First time to Cozumel and we stayed at Blue Angel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. My wife and I took the trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and to dive for a week. We included our diving with the price of our hotel and got a great deal for 5 days of 2-tank boat dives with Blue Angel Divers. We even had them set up our excursion to snorkel with the whale sharks. Everything exceeded our expectations. The Dive Masters, Boat Captains, Dive Staff, Restaurant Staff, Hotel Staff. All Wonderful!! Matt, Jorge, Matteo, Chunga, Miguel, Francisco, Wit (Fix that WiFi, Wit), Martine, and all those I'm missing, thank you all for helping to make our vacation so great. We hope to see you again next year.

Room Tip: Ground Floor rooms are buffered from the street noise by a storage room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Clovis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed with Blue Angel from the end of July to the beginning of August of 2013.
This was my first time diving/staying in Cozumel.

Above all I want to say that all of the staff in the lobby are incredible. Extremely friendly and willing to do anything to make your stay the best that it can be. They even let me borrow a laptop to watch our GoPro videos :)

Their resort breaks down into 3 categories: rooms, restaurant and dive center. All of these are right next to each other and it couldn't be more convenient. I will talk about each individually..

Rooms: Very simple, clean and constructed with divers in mind. No carpet, plenty of storage space and drying racks on the patio for your gear. Our room had two beds and a TV. We never once had the TV on. Air conditioning worked great and kept the room as cool as you could stand. The bathroom is pretty standard. No doors on the shower. Spanish style adobe and tile floor. No TP in the toilet. Overall we were satisfied with the rooms with the exception of two things. The beds are VERY hard. Both my dive partner and I had trouble sleeping throughout the trip. The wifi is terrible...Extremely weak signal in our room and could only get a descent signal if we walked out to the balcony. It is a little better signal in the lobby and restaurant but overall pretty weak everywhere.

Restaurant: Upstairs above the dive shop and overlooking the ocean. Overall we were pleased with the service and food. Its nice to wake up in the morning, walk 20 feet and have a free breakfast, walk down the stairs to the dive shop and walk another 100 feet to the dock to meet the boat. Breakfast is OK at best. We sampled nearly all of the items from the breakfast menu and personally I enjoyed the fruit and yogurt the best. Lunch and dinner options are pretty good and we were a lot happier with those meals. We ate almost all of our meals here. They make great margaritas and blended drinks. They are famous for their mango margaritas but unfortunately we didn't get to try them. They were out of one of the ingredients used in making this particular drink whenever we asked for it :(
The service is good but not great and I would say better than most places in Mexico. They have a 2 for 1 happy hour which is nice to take advantage of if your not doing any diving late in the day. Every evening around 7 pm (I think..) a guy would come in and sing and play the guitar for a couple hours. While we were there it was always the same guy and a lot of the same songs every night but it was very pleasant to listen to watching the sun set with a beer in hand..

Dive Shop: My partner and I really had only good things to say about them. The equipment is in good shape, the boats are nice and the staff is awesome. The dive master / instructors are very knowledgable, friendly and eco-minded of the sea life. Very, very pleased with their entire dive operation. I think they have the fastest boats around, or so it seemed.
There are two fresh water tanks to rinse your gear and an outdoor shower for you. The only drawback to diving here is the time it takes to get to the dive sites. About 20-30 min on average.
They offer free tanks if you want to shore dive in front of the resort. This was kind of nice. We did this almost every evening. They don't allow you to hunt Lion Fish in the Marine Park but it is allowed in front of the resort. I brought my Hawaiian sling along and killed two.

I would stay and dive here again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying on the second floor for two reasons. Nice view of the ocean and peace of mind hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Zickary
Athens, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

As a new diver I was feeling awkward and unsure but the entire staff of the resort was encouraging and so very helpful. Thanks to Eddie for sticking with me through that disastrous checkout dive and then going with me on the boat, where I was much more comfortable and relaxed. And thanks to Jose for spending time with me before and after the dive and for pointing out the seahorse and many other wonderful inhabitants of the deep!
Serje was wonderful for serving breakfast and bringing hot water for tea. The front desk staff was incomparable and my room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
Blue Angel is dedicated to divers, period so if you are looking for glitz and parties go in to town to stay.
Though my skills did not allow me to do all I wanted in the water, I enjoyed my stay tremendously.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank goattoes
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Go for the diving! You can get as much as you can handle all great! Some of my best pictures came from the front yard in 6 ft of water.
The food is so, so. Not very healthy choices. They have too little fruit and veggies. They said they can't get it on the island, not true. Some friends and I rented a house in the West end and ate ten times better for very little cost. Extremely cheep and the food came from the back of a farmers truck fresh each day.
But you can't beat the easy diving 24/7. When ever you want. That I LOVED!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the rooms on the water are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends