“Excellent for Divers - Basic, Clean, Friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Dallas
“Excellent for Divers - Basic, Clean, Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed for seven nights and dove five days. Our overall impression was superior. We will definitely return and as often as possible.

Rooms:
Very basic, zero frills. Ultra clean. AC works well. Mini fridge is handy. Water cooler on every floor. Beds hard, but we were comfortable. All rooms have balconies toward the ocean with table, two chairs and drying racks for wet dive attire and swim suits. No blow dryer. Limited power outlets. If you are sensitive to noise, bring earplugs. Road noise and dive shop noise might interrupt your rest. We were on the second floor and not bothered. Tip your maid daily. It's not always the same person.

Lobby:
Open air view of the sea. Shady resting spot. Nice music playing. Comfy and welcoming. Pet the puppy -- a little Pomeranian is apparently the assistant manager. Hehe. Nice atmosphere. If you want, with a generous tipping practice, the waiters in the restaurant will even serve food and drinks downstairs. Very nice.

Restaurant:
Breakfast is included. Well done each time. All the food is very good. It's not fancy, but it's well prepared and the service is excellent at all times. Very friendly. Live guitar and singing nightly. Superb atmosphere. For a short stay, no need to leave the property. Just relax here. The restaurant is on the second level, beautiful view.

Location:
10-15 leisurely walk to town. There's a decent dive shop about halfway there on the right if you find yourself in need of something. Also a large full-array grocery store right on the edge of town for stocking up on a few snacks, sunscreen, etc. Taxis seem to charge about 8-9 bucks no matter the distance.

Dive Operation:
Very friendly. We had our own BCD's, but the rentals we saw were new Cressis. In perfect shape. We rented regs and they too were in fine working order. Usually small fast boats, small groups of 6 -8 divers. There is no dive shop here. Locker area is being enlarged and renovated. It will be a nice improvement. The current storage area is poorly lit and dank, though adequate. Two dunk tanks and drying racks available. Capable, attentive, friendly dive masters. We especially enjoyed Cervando, Jose and Tony. Tony was the most thorough with pre-dive briefings. Great variety of sites and open to taking you where you want to go. Usually they asked and we received our wish. Flexible dive times too. Not rushed.

One gripe. I wish for full service gear handling. Spoiled from other experiences, I would pay a little more (or tip even more) to have my gear on the boat for the dive and removed, rinsed and stowed for me. I don't like schlepping my own crap to and fro. I have a bad back, I'm short and weak. I admit it. If I could amp up one area of service, it would be this.

Some of the dive masters and boat pilots/hands were more attentive to setting up our tanks than others. As usual, check your setup for yourself for the sake of safety and no surprises.

The Diving:
I'm not the most experienced globe trotting diver, but I have a fair amount of experiences to compare with. My first trip to Cozumel will be the first of many. It is diverse, well cared for and amazing. Drift is wonderful and the sealife is abundant. Just top notch. Don't be deterred from Cozumel by the preconception of cheesy cruise ship gaudiest. There is an entirely OTHER Cozumel and it's easy to find. Just go there. You'll be so glad you did.

Unless you come to Blue Angel with visions of luxury and grandeur, you will not be disappointed. You'll be wowed by the friendly service. Impressed with the impeccable cleanliness. Pleased by the food. And the diving can't beat. Blue Angel is a winner.

Room Tip: No elevator. Trade view for stairs + dive gear. Avoid 1st and 2nd floor rooms nearest the rinse tank...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CGUESS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Finnish first
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We panicked a bit when we arrived as it was raining and windy, the bar and restaurant were shut, and we were staying for 2 weeks with 10 days of diving prebooked! However the weather gradually improved, everything was open again the next day, we went diving and bWOW. Had heard a lot about diving in cozumel and it way exceeded our expectations. The diving area was very well organised and we felt very comfortable, with various options every day when we could go, so even if we had a few cocktails at night we could go later the next day! All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. OK it wasn't the height of luxury and probably could do with a bit of redecorating, but we would stay here again rather than anywhere else if (if, who am I kidding, if mean when) we come back, as it had everything we needed and we prefer a nice wee friendly hotel to a faceless more expensive building. Thanks everyone at the blue angel for such a lovely time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christine452
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

After reading so many reviews and asking so many questions, we settled on Blue Angel for our sneak away trip with our daughter for her 18th birthday. We debated and debated the AI route vs Blue Angel vs Hotel B.

I'm so glad we decided to say here. The staff was helpful when approached and not over bearing. We weren't diving so we're aware we missed that part of the experience, but our trip was too quick to incorporate that.

We stayed in room 304. The room was spacious and the view was perfect. Traveling with a teenager, we knew that daily use of her phone was going to be needed. We never had issues with wifi..always quickly connected. Towels were great, beds were hard...which I expect in Mexico. My husband and I sleep in a queen bed so the bed size wasn't a problem. Road noise was a little problematic as well as the sound of all the dive tanks being unloaded in the morning. Nothing some ear plugs wouldn't take care of and it wouldn't stop me from staying there again at all. I was up to run each morning, so it was my wake up call. I loved being right on the main road...was able to run up into town and back. Lovely route. So much better than running on the dreadmill at my gym in cold and snowy Chicago.

The water coolers on each floor were wonderful as was having a fridge in the room.

The restaurant was wonderful. Breakfast was included and we ate there two of the days.

For the people who had problems with the bathroom...perhaps it was their room. I never had trouble with water pooling outside of shower. We never had issues with hot water. I think I may have ruined my very expensive solano blow dryer...but that's what I get for attempting to use such an energy sucking appliance in another country.

All in all, we will be back for sure. I really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: third floor room had excellent view and wifi was always connected.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank icanflossu
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We enjoyed Blue Angel's hospitality when we were recently in Cozumel. Their service, both in the hotel and the restaurant, was friendly and prompt. Everyone was warm and welcoming and our room was clean and neat. The food was decent at the restaurant and the location itself was fantastic! Can't beat the view!

We're excited for many reasons to return to Cozumel, and Blue Angel is one of them! Thank you!

Room Tip: Choose a room on either floor 3 or 4 for the superb view of sunsets and the water!
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We recently stayed at BA for 4 days for diving. We had an amazing time!
First for the hotel, it was clean, the room was very spacious with a balcony. Every room has ocean view which is great! We could use the internet from the room, lobby or the restaurant with no problems. the hotel is around 2km away from the downtown. it is a nice walk, but if you want to walk a lot in the town, you might want to take a cab which is 70 pesos (not so cheap for that distance!).
the restaurant is pretty good. be careful with their margaritas, it is strong!
My husband and I got our open water scuba diving certifications there. Andres was our instructor. It was just me and my husband with Andres. He is a great instructor. I was quite scared of being underwater initially and all the skills with mask flooding and removal, both Andres and my husband were very patient with me :) By the end of the certification dives, i was much more confident. And the sites we went for diving definitely helped with different variety of fish and coral. We did 2 shore dives and 2 boat dives. On the day of our boat dive, there were 3 boats departing at 8 am. We were 3 people to be certified in one boat with 2 instructors, that made me feel much better so we were not preventing some experienced dives to dive in a beginner site and we were not forced to dive on an advanced site. After we got certified, the last day we dove in Palancar gardens and Paradise with 3 more divers with similar experience level and a dive master who was very attentive.
The only thing is, the dive shops equipment is worn out by being used everyday.
Overall we had an amazing time and we will go back hopefully with our own equipment :)

1 Thank Humeyra T
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Let me start with, this isnt really a resort. It is a divers motel, great for diving I have heard. We stayed here for 2 nights, I requested a 4th floor room with a king size bed but instead got a 3rd floor room with 2 double beds..... kind of disappointing. The room was clean but dark and needs some updating.The room was mediocre, the view was kind of blocked by the palm trees a little. People at this resort are friendly, staff is nice. Restaurant, is great for breakfast, has a great view. Dinner was good but kind of expensive at this restaurant. The traffic noise was pretty loud all night, easily heard in the room we had. I dont know if I would stay here again due to the traffic noise and the general updating the room we stayed in needed. My suggestion to the hotel is to honor requests for type of room and then to maybe update and do general repairs to each room, maybe a fresh coat of paint and repairs to the outlets in the rooms would help, and a different type of toilet paper holder....the one in there is kind of tacky. All and all an probably a great place to stay if you are diving, if not I would suggest staying somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank stopyourwhiningtoo
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here with my kids for 5 nights. The room was clean and satisfactory. All of the staff from the hotel, desk, office, cleaning, dive shop, and restaurant were very friendly. The staff kept the room clean every day. The maid told the front desk when my husband accidently left the safe open with cash, passports etc. The front desk closed it and notified us right away. They are very trustworthy!
We really did enjoy the casual atmosphere. We felt right at home right away! and will go back there again.
Having a good restaurant, good entertainment at night, a bar, and an excellent dive shop on site was so convenient and great!
The only small issue was that the beds were a little to short for my husband and son who are only 5'10''. And the shower floods the bathroom and the living room, but we made a towel dam after the first shower and worked around it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business