“Best 2 days of our vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Kelowna, Canada
“Best 2 days of our vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We planned our trip out so we were spending 3 nights in Cancun and 1 in Cozumel at the resort, and after our trip we wished we had stayed at the Blue Angel the whole time! The staff was amazing, the lobby was incredibly beautiful, and the food and drinks were to die for. We had our first ever scuba adventure here, the off shore dive and it was incredible. Our guide was knowledgeable and took great care of us. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Finnish first
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Our scuba club just got back from a week vacation with Blue Angel and I don't think we could have had a better time. This is a well run, small and friendly dive oriented resort. We were delighted with the service we received - from making the reservations (which isn't easy when you are dealing with the questions and requests of a group of 22 people), to the greeting upon arrival, to the service in the on-site restaurant, to the spectacular diving. They also arranged a special group meal for us on last minute notice.

The dive shop is well organized and equipped. They have several boats and can handle multiple groups of various sizes. The Instructors and Divemasters are professional and have the perfect combination between safety and letting people dive their profile. Our group had 14 divers ranging from just certified to fairly experience divers and the Divemasters made it a blast for everyone!

The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable. There is a mini-fridge and safe in every room. We also appreciated the eco-friendly option of having towels and bedding changed only upon the guest's request.

The restaurant is above the dive shop and the food is incredible. Both the food and drinks are very reasonably priced.

The only negative thing (and something that they can do nothing about) is the road noise made sleeping a little difficult. However, we left the air conditioner on and it wasn't a problem.

We will be back.

• Stayed January 2011
chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

Although we spent New Year's 2009/10 at the hotel with friends we stayed somewhere else. This year we stayed at the Blue Angel and can't imagine ever staying anywhere else on the island again. The room was wonderful, the staff so helpful and friendly. The food was great and the diving and divemasters were the best. The prices are more than fair.....we will definetly be back. I am a bit worried about writing this....I don't want the Blue Angel to become so popular I can't get a room there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Utila, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

Have been coming here and Diving for 5+ years. I have been traveling around the Caribbean mainly diving and find myself returning here every year for the last 5 because Cozumel is still a remote haven not too touristy.

At Caribe Blu
It is the same staff who even remember your name from year to year!
How many places can you come back 5 years later to see the same people HAPPILY enough working at the same job and greeting you with a smile?

I walk out of the hotel straight to the boat 50' from my front door! The Dive shop attached Blue Angel has exceptional staff and Divemasters who are very accommodating to wherever you want to go and what you want to do.

This is Family here, come see it in person I cant write enough good words about this place.

Bernie Cyr
PADI Instructor
MSDT 212781

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

We wish we had enjoyed our experience at this well-regarded dive resort along with everyone else but our stay here was marred by a few points which may or may not have been the sole responsibility of this resort:

- There are hidden charges everywhere. Surcharges were applicable for "fresh" orange juice at breakfast, fresh coffee in the restaurant (and not the lobby) and all dive gear used. We were exhausted from having to ask about the cost for everything and we paid the price when we were presented with our bill at check out.

- Tips are everything here. It is a shock to non-US visitors that everyone on staff requires a gratuity for any service. The staff here seems to be used to generous US tourists tipping 15% or more regardless of their service level. My 10% tip to the boat/dive staff on the 1st day means little or no service on the next dive day. We were also made to felt that we had to tip the staff during the breakfasts and lunches that were fully included with our package. We're all for giving a little extra while on holiday but we were not impressed with the way we were treated on the boat or at the restaurant.

- Service was surly, perhaps related to the above point. It took too many emails with Jeanie to get a confirmation and we ended up calling the hotel in the end to get a booking form for our stay. The dive shop manager seemed quite distracted and didn't really go out of his way to introduce us to the various dive spots available on the island. It is advisable to not rely on the shop here and to instead read up online on Scubaboard before to make sure you don't miss out on the best sites.

The hotel itself was a gem. Great ocean rooms, nice food and quiet pool to snooze pre-happy hour. The traffic noise is bearable if you close your doors. It is a long 25-30 min walk into downtown - comfortable footwear is advisable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Traminer
wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

For divers you have everything you need, very good access to the sea, from the shore or by boat, 1st class staff, clean air and excellent food.
From out first night we knew we had picked the right place, if I had a problem it was sorted by one of the staff, we were looked after like family and treated like friends.
Cold water fountains on every level, coffee on all day.
The place is so relaxed and professional, and has WIFI.
We were also taken to the other side of the island to help to dig out the turtle nests, and to release the young that had been saved, an amazing sight that will live with me for ever.
It is a short walk from the main town, with a couple of small bars either side if you fancy a change.
My only regret was that I could not stay for longer, but I do hope to return in the next couple of years.
If like relaxed, fun and very good diving you will love Blue Angel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

Most of my vacations are SCUBA diving vacations. I have been diving in the Caribbean for the last 13 years and absolutely love diving in Cozumel. It is truly one of the best dive spots in the world. I have visited the island over half a dozen times and stayed at the Blue Angel the last 3. The Blue Angel was introduced to me by a dive buddy as a: “Quaint little dive hotel with everything for people who love SCUBA diving.” And it is exactly that. It is not fancy but it is very comfortable and clean. As anyone who has been to Cozumel knows it can be difficult to find a good restaurant. The Blue Angel serves some of the best food on the island (I am really not kidding) in a little open air establishment located just above the dive shop (be sure to have Sergio wait on you).The hotel staff is amazing. Eva and Robert (the owners) could not be more accommodating. On our last trip my wife and I had dinner with Eva taste testing some of the new dishes for their menu. You have to try Eva’s lasagna (again, I am not kidding). Jenny, an expat from St Louis, handles all the reservations and scheduling is awesome as well as her husband Mike who does odd jobs around the hotel (Are the new dunk tanks finished yet Mike?) The dive staff is incredible and perfect for beginners as well as experienced divers. Pony (the guy who schedules the dives) knows you by name after your first day. He was very good about making sure we always went in boats with other divers with similar experience (this is priceless to me). The Dive Masters were very professional and treated our group as any group of seasoned divers would want to be treated. You will not be disappointed if you find yourself on a dive boat with Jorge as your Dive Master. And then there is Chicago Matt or “Mateo” as he is called now, the ex-electrician turned “Dive Instructor Extraordinaire”. I dove with him on all 3 of my stays at the Blue Angel and He has trained 4 of my closest friends to the “Advanced” level of PADI certification. He specializes in cave diving and has taken our group diving in the “Cenotes” on the mainland (a very unique day trip not to be missed) I highly recommend his services to anyone interested in any level of SCUBA certification. On our “day off” from diving he and Mike took our little dive group on a boat trip to the remote northern beaches of Cozumel on an exploratory mission to develop a fun option for divers like us that tend to want to take a little time to go exploring on vacation.

And did I mention the diversity of sea creatures you will find right off the beach on a night dive?

I have never seen more octopus in one spot.

I have other places in the Caribbean I love to dive but the Blue Angel is now the only place I will stay in Cozumel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends