“My new favorite Italian restaurant on the island”
Review of New Especias

New Especias
Ranked #119 of 389 Restaurants in Cozumel
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An Authentic and Cozy Italian Restaurant in the Wonderful Cozumel Island!!! (We moved from ITALIANINI!!!)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Courteous waiters and awesome food. Close to town with a balcony to look at the sky and town. Love the food and will be back many more times.

1  Thank SUPHere

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I dined at New Especias on April 7th.
As I was very low in cash I was looking for a place where I could use my credit card.
The staff up front assured me I could use my Visa so I went upstairs for dinner.

I found "Lionfish & Gnocchi" to be too interesting to pass out so I decided to try it.
Unfortunately the fish was cut out into very small pieces and mixed with gnocchi and tomato sauce so I couldn't really taste the fish itself. The dessert tasted like it was made the day before...

The owner/manager was seen chatting with guests at other table but never came to my table, and just when I was leaving he hurriedly shouted out "Thank you- good night" as if just to get that out of the way.

The big issue was with the way they charged my credit card;
First the waiter came back to my table and told me their credit card machine DID NOT WORK and the first attempt was canceled. Then he went back downstairs to process the charge again and this time he said it worked. I saw 240 MXN (dinner+dessert) and I added 40 MXN as Tip making the Total 280 MXN and signed the receipt.

My biggest upgly surprise came when I looked at my Visa statement: They charged the initial 240pesos AND 280pesos, instead of just 280 MXN.
...I am truly shocked to see any business/restaurant would do this to a guest.

2  Thank sydneytheturtle
Feruccis, Owner at New Especias, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Good Afternoon Sir,

First of all my sincere apologizes. We had a lot of problems on April with a credit card machine, but now all already fixed. Actually there was a mistake on our part that we are solving as soon as possible! We work hard and in a honest way. Sorry again. At disposal for any clarification. Thank you.

Best Regards

Francesco Ferraris

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Had a great dinner, real italian food (an italian is writing), nice place close to the sea... All dishes were fantastic, appetizers, pasta, fish, wine, coffe and the dessert. People are friendly and the price is right.
Just enjoy it!!!!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Truly a great discovery. Authentic Italian Cuisine in a relaxed environment, the chef delivers amazing examples of disches you won't find anywhere on the island, or even at home.Francesco, we thank you and look forward to seing you again soon. Service is very good, pricing is very reasonable.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We gave this place a try last night for dinner. Our son had Lasagna and i gave it a try and WOW i was very impressed and i come from an italian family. I had the pasta with tuna and my husband had filet mignon. We were all very happy with our choices.
Service was good as well
We will go back