“Great rooftop locatioon for dinner!”
Review of New Especias

New Especias
Ranked #121 of 384 Restaurants in Cozumel
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An Authentic and Cozy Italian Restaurant in the Wonderful Cozumel Island!!! (We moved from ITALIANINI!!!)
Huntington Beach, California
“Great rooftop locatioon for dinner!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This little gem is out of the way and not easy to find. We were told of it by locals and it did not disappoint!
From the apps and the drinks, it was heaven on a plate!

• Visited December 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Very good but...”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First let me say our food was very good so don't get my review wrong. The staff was friendly and we felt the atmosphere was great. Loved the day of dead at the bar downstairs. I guess my disappointment for lack of a better word was for all the hype we read about them being from Rome and authentic i would say they were off a bit. Gnocchi and lion fish -fish flavorful -gnocchi not the best we ever had. Risotto I was so looking forward to authentic as claimed but I have had better in USA and that to me is where I was disappointed Again it was very good I just was hoping it was as the other travelers stated and only because of that I didn't give it an excellent. Maybe food was off when we ate there last nite (or maybe because I have had true true authentic )and since many other places to try I can't give them a second chance but wanted to just add my two cents Thought price was appropriate as well. Please try them though

“Fantastic, authentic Italian”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm not a professional food critic, but would classify myself as a bit of a foodie and having lived in Italy for 2 years feel qualified to comment on New Especias.
I've had difficulty finding authentic Italian food outside of Europe (save some trattorias in the NE USA) and wasn't expecting much in Coz. However, the meal at New Esp was authentic and outstanding and would rate as one of the best Italian meals I've had anywhere.
The home made gnocchi was delicate and the sauce was fantastic. My boys meals were equally top notch. The owner/chef, Francesco, coming from Rome, was a fantastic host and made our meal very memorable. The prices though not cheap are a steal based on the quality.
If you enjoy "Americanized" Italian food this may not be your place but if you want a fantastic, authentic meal you should go to nowhere else.

Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This restaurant should be #1 on Trip Advisor. My husband and I ate here twice on our trip to Cozumel in April. My husband needs to eat gluten-free. The owner, Francesco, was very accommodating. Everything we tried was delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kristie A
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“One of the best restaurants in Cozumel”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As a full-blooded Italian who was raised in Boston, I can be a harsh critic of Italian food. Well, New Especias blew me out of the water. From the appetizers to the main course (there is no one on the island that cooks a better Leon fish) to dessert... every single person in our 8-person party walked away in agreement that it was flawless.

On top of the incredible meals, the service was outstanding. The chef personally checked on our table more than once to ensure we enjoyed everything and the servers were funny, friendly and very attentive. We were also celebrating the birthday of my partner that night and the wait staff overheard us make a toast to him... they took it upon themselves to give him a little dessert with a candle on the house and he also got the option to have happy birthday sung by the entire staff in Italian, Spanish or English.

Lastly, the view on the second floor is to die for. Try to go around sunset and you will not be disappointing.

1 Thank James D