“Paradise again”

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 December 2013

WE just happily completed our 5th stay ar the Iberostar Cozumel,and it was ,if possible,even better than our lastWe were amazed by the fact that the people remembered us,we felt very valued by everyone.And we got Complimentary Iberostar "I'm Back"t-shirts,whiich are so special!Our room was always impeccable,as was the land scaping ,and pool care'Thanks to the care takers in all areas!We were there from Nov.2until Nov.17th,2013.It did rain quite a bit but it was warm and with the umbrellas we were all very mobile,and still had a great time.Excursions were offered and enjoyed by all,and a.m. movies,which were up to date were very welcome as a diversion.The behind the scenes men were very helpful with that.Everyone watched out for our needs,things were brought to us almost before we asked for them.The wait staff was like a first class restaurant all the time.There was a wonderful selection of drinks with good liquors,and if you couldn't find what you would like to eat you werent' looking,there was so much,and such a selection at every meal.Cocktail hour had music,and then evening shows--so much to do.My Husband enjoyed all of his diving with Dive With Martin,and the pool was very relaxing and refreshing.This is definitely all you could ask for and more on a moderate income!Can't wait until Nov.'14!See ya then!!!The Detambles Miss you Nicolas,Fernando,Aaron,and Alba,Donatello thanks for the help!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank linda m
Write a ReviewReviews (5,114)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Should have listened to the reviews I read, they're all true. The food is just terrible, the buffet by the beach is just horrible all tastes the same, the buffet by the lobby is just okay. The steak house restaurant is actually inside the same buffet building by the beach and food is terrible. The rooms are old and dates all needs a facelift in the worst way. The grouds are okay, the animals around the proparty are very nice to look at for the exception of the Pallican's they seem to look like they do not have enough space to walk around they go from one end to the other of this dirty pond and it's quite sad to look at. I enjoyed looking and interacting with all the other animals there especially the cats, if you don't like them don't pay any attention and they will walk away. The beach is very rocky and you can not get in the water from the beach only the boardwalk. I requested an ironing board and an iron and it called on it twice, never arrived. I will never stay there again. Pay more and really enjoy your stay. I know I will.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay someplace else then pay extra and stay someplace else. This hotel has ter...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IPolenc
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Client

The management and all the staff at the Iberostar Cozumel are grateful for the opportunity of serving you.

We really appreciated all your comments as we use it as a learning tools, we are glad to hear that you really enjoy the settings and surroundings, as you mentioned in your review we are a green globe certified hotel and very well integrated with our environment, let us assure you that all the animals are well taken care of as they do not represent a problem to the humans and every month a veterinarian comes in to check their health.

In regard to your comments about the food we are sorry to read that you did not like the food in the pool restaurants and in the main buffet , we are working with our new chef to improve all the services that you brought to our attention.

In regard to the comments about the rooms let us assure you that our hotel was totally renovated in 2006 and every year our maintenance department paints the buildings and the common areas during the year (monthly) in order to keep the facilities in the best conditions possible

We feel sorry to read that you have decide not to return to our property but if change your mind, we will be more than happy to welcome you back and assist you in anything you need.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 December 2013

First, hats off to Double D from Colorado make sure to email me please. Hi to the Canadian lawyers had a great time with you all. As always Nichols made my stay at the swim up bar why I keep coming back, his crew never let my beer get empty or drink get warm. This was the first time in November, 17-24, but the weather was great and the diving even better than in the summer. I have always dived Dressler's try to get Sophie or tall female Canadian great dive masters. The water was not cooled, I dove with out a wet suit six time and had no problems. we visited the light house on the south end of the island like we do every time but the road is bad, but its wroth the trip. we swam the reef and tool the boat in the lake and seen the gator up close. The resort was slow which is don't like but the water volleyball was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NorthDallasFrank
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had been told that Cozumel was a mecca for Scuba diving. It is, no doubt about that.
We chose the Iberostar because we knew Dressel Divers was there and we had a great experience with them at the Playa del Carmen Barcelo resort two years ago.
We have a 3 month old little boy and my mother came along to take care of him while we were diving.
Here's a list of what we disliked in no particular order:

1 - Check in was terrible. A very long line up of people waiting and pretty slow service.
2 - We have, like I mentioned, a baby and my mother is no longer 30 years old. They gave us rooms on the second floor. So we had to walk up and down a bunch of slippery wooden steps a few times a day. In the rain, those steps because treacherous. It's unacceptable that they would not have automatically figured that rooms on the ground would have been more appropriate.
3 - There is no furniture in the rooms. Nothing with drawers. Only some sort of table where the tv is and a bed. Oh and a small chair.
4 - They call it a mini-bar, but how can it be a "bar" when they never restock it with beer. I had to call them many times to eventually have them put two bottles of beer in the fridge.
5 - Service was totally crappy. There were no batteries in the tv's remote. Ok, so we're not there to watch tv I know, but still... It took 4 days to get batteries even though I requested them every day and sometimes twice a day. I eventually had to go complain to the front desk to finally get them to send some batteries over. There were no umbrellas in the rooms and we were unlucky enough to get a few days with rain showers. We requested umbrellas, but like the beer and the batteries, they didn't show up.
6 - Pool chairs and tables are dirty and some are broken. On most days a whole lot more chairs would have been required for everyone looking for some.
7 - The beach is not a beach. Don't think you can just walk barefeet into the water, you'll rip your feet apart in the rock. You need surf shoes, but even with that it's dangerous.
8 - There is only one pool. So if you want quiet time, stay in your room.
9 - The hair dryer in the room didn't blow hot air. Only cold air.
10 - Buffet food is always the same stuff every day. Not much variety. Quality is somewhat decent, but nothing memorable.
11 - Others have mentionned it but there are only 3 "reservation only" restaurants. However we technically only can make two reservations during our one week stay. If you go by reception every day after 1pm you might be able to get an extra reservation. But it's usually super late so not worth the trouble.
12 - There was no bed cover on the bed in my mother's room. Ok there were sheets but any self respecting resort with a minimum of self respect would ensure every bed in every room would have a bed cover.
13 - As this trip was in very late november, daylight is short. We spent plenty of time walking in the dark. This resort has very very poor lighting in the paths and especially to help going up and down stairs safely (see my item #2).
14 - During a pretty good thunderstorm, water actually made it's way into our room! We had to soak it up with towels so it would not spread everywhere. They need to look into this.
15 - There was no bellboy service, or at least none was advertised, so we had to haul our luggage to the rooms on arrival and back to the reception area when departing. This goes with item #5 - crappy service.

Although the staff was friendly and we have no complaints about that, the resorts operational model appears to be terrible.
Our first 3 days were fantastic on the scuba diving side of things. The dive spots are amazing. Everything you've heard about Cozumel's reefs is true. It's breathtaking.
However, on day 4 the wind picked up big time. The waves were very big and no boats were allowed out of the San Miguel port, where the dive boats spend their nights. So we could not dive on day 4... then again on day 5... then again on day 6. For 3.5 days (the boats returned on Saturday afternoon - but we were leaving), there was no diving. So keep in mind that although this is probably the first time in decades that divers have been land locked for such an extended period of time (lucky us...) it can happen once in a while that because of wind conditions, boats can't get out of the port.

So, if you have very low expectations in the resort, but high expectations for the scuba diving, go here and go with Dressel Divers (they are AWESOME). But if quality of service and food and cleanliness is very important to you, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you have a young child, insist on a room on the ground floor.
2  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I realize that I get repetitive about this place; but I cant help it because each time I arrive and stay, I am more impressed as to the thoughtful effort and professionalism that is exhibited by this hotel.

Snafu by the booking agency [Apple] had us registered under a different name. As it was our 32nd anniversary, I was chapped as to the lack of recognition and notice, especially since it was our 10th stay here. The front desk, especially a very competent gentleman named Alejandro, immediately took the necessary steps to salvage my day and the trip. We were treated with respect and patience. Thank you again guys.

Everything else was basically the same 98% perfection. Food and drinks were great. The beach was still there, as were the beach bar and buffet. Steak restaurant is our favorite, but the Octopus and leg of lamb were incredible.

It was a great stay, as always, and the staff made it that way. It is still my go to all-inclusive on Cozumel!

5  Thank osohub
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Client

On behalf of all the staff and the management at the Iberostar Cozumel we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for all your kind comments to all our employees as they provided you with a great service especially Alejandro at the front desk.

It is gratifying to read you had a wonderful time with us for the 10th time and we hope that for many ones to come. Thank you for highlighting the food, especially the lamb and the octopus at the buffet!

We truly look forward to your 11th visit to your home away from home Iberostar Cozumel. Thank you for your loyalty!

Sunny regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

What was once a nice hotel is now decent with bad food. Buffets are open for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are three restaurants on property so u don't have to go to the buffet for dinner, but it is nearly impossible to get reservations even though there are always plenty of open tables. If u r lucky enough to get a reservation it wont be until 9pm. Consequently u are stuck in the buffet where food is extremely bland. Also, you are a $25 taxi ride to town so if your looking to do an excursion or rent a scooter it is much more expensive because you are a captive audience. Also they state that the water sports are free. Please understand this logic, if u get free snorkeling gear you must pay money in order to use them in the ocean. Cocktails and service were good. Unfortunately there are better options to spend your hard earned money on.

1  Thank Pablito W
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest

On behalf of the management at the Iberostar Cozumel we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for the recent stay with us and for taking the time to write your valuable review on trip advisor

We apologize for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. We are sorry that you did not like our food offerings. As you mentioned we have the buffet and three specialty restaurants (mexican, steak and the international) and all our guest make reservations to use the restaurants with four different sittings 6:30, 7, 8:30 or 9 p.m. Some hours are more popular than others and we do outmost to try to accommodate all our guests the best we can, but there is a specific quota per sitting in order to provide a good dining experience with meals made from scratch. We are sharing all your comments about the food with our head chef, to implement changes.

Our location on the Cozumel Island is strategic as we are in a National Park and close to the second most important reef in the world.

In regard to your comment about the water sports, we do not charge for the snorkel equipment, we are sorry about the misunderstanding. The local government charges 2 usd for the entrance to the national marine park, and as stated above, our hotel is located inside. We do our best to publish this information and advise of this fee to all travel agencies.

We really hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you in the future to show you our improvements.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I visited solo Nov. 3rd for 2 weeks. (Met some family in week 2). The "small resort" comment is in comparison to others I have been to in Cuba, Cancun etc, but it has a lot of excellent features in a nicely organised lay-out. It is also a bit of a maze for the first day or so! The end of the road is a bit of an exaggeration, as the road goes around the island, but it is 30 minutes by taxi from the one town. On the other hand it is perfectly located for diving off the incredible reefs at the south end of the island, I suspect at least half the visitors come here to dive! In every respect bar one I would rate the service as excellent, Reception, Lobby staff, housekeeping, service in the bars , everywhere. The one area I can rate no higher than "Good" is the food. This may be because the resort was only 60% full, but in comparison to other all-inclusives I found the selection limited and not as much "cooking" going on as I would have expected. And I've been to Cuba several times! Great dive resort on site, reviewed seperately, Also one should try "Alberto's", a little beach bar 100 yards along the beach from the resort! All in all a great trip, even if it had unusual amounts of rain, the staff coped very well. I will certainly return as the location is perfect for diving.

Room Tip: Two story units, if you don't mind stairs get the upper level.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo